Duke4.net Forums: The Serious Sam Thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Serious Sam Thread  "In anticipation for SS4"

View PostPikaCommando, on 10 April 2017 - 04:45 AM, said:

Isn't this just a ripoff of the also Croteam-sanctioned Serious Sam: The Greek Encounter?

This post has been edited by Marphy Black: 10 April 2017 - 05:36 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMarphy Black, on 10 April 2017 - 05:34 AM, said:

Isn't this just a ripoff of the also Croteam-sanctioned Serious Sam: The Greek Encounter?

I can't believe you got away with that joke twice on their forum.

View PostMarphy Black, on 10 April 2017 - 05:34 AM, said:

I don't know how or why people keep getting the idea that Croteam sanctioned The Greek Encounter, but in reality Croteam supported it as much as Valve supported the creator's NES-style Left 4 Dead demake (which is to say, not at all).

User is offline   Master O 

Since Serious Sam First Encounter and Second Encounter went open source, has anyone made any sourceports for them yet? (like Zdoom for Doom, eduke32 for Duke Nukem 3D, etc)

View PostMaster O, on 10 April 2017 - 01:22 PM, said:

Since Serious Sam First Encounter and Second Encounter went open source, has anyone made any sourceports for them yet? (like Zdoom for Doom, eduke32 for Duke Nukem 3D, etc)

Not really. There is one project I know of that uses the source code, but it's main aim is to provide more editor functionality or something like that instead of doing things like proper hor+ widescreen like Revolution did.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMaster O, on 10 April 2017 - 01:22 PM, said:

Is there really a need for an open source port? I thought Revolution was free for everyone who owns the original on steam? Then again I suppose it'd be nice to have something modern and DRM free.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

For one, a source port would allow to run the game natively with any Linux distro (the official Steam page suggests that for now only Ubuntu is supported by the service). AFAIK the only alternative so far is icculus' port which is still beta. Also I'm not sure if it supports the demo versions of the game (they do run fine in Wine though).

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostMicky C, on 11 April 2017 - 03:10 AM, said:

I thought Revolution was free for everyone who owns the original on steam?

I was going to say that I don't have Revolution on my Steam account but I just looked and it's there... huh, interesting, if you didn't told me that I would probably live never knowing it. :(

User is offline   Lunick 

User is offline   Jolteon 

View PostLunick, on 20 June 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

I think i'm going to have Nightmares tonight!

Bogus Detour is great, the attention to little details is insane and it really fits in perfectly with the main Sam titles.

I'm even going as far as to say that Croteam will have to work extra hard to make Sam 4 be as refreshing and varied as Bogus Detour.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I even took the opportunity to buy Double D XL. For just 0.99 EUR there is hardly anything you can say to argue against buying it. Quite curious about Bogus, too (which I bought as well). It's an interesting concept to fill the gaps between full Serious Sam releases with indie titles. And most of them aren't bad at all.

Engine update looks so life-like, too bad same can't be said for models

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

LOL!
Posted Image
Spoiler

- single player
- local and online co-op
- local and online mp (splitscreen supported)
- cross platform multiplayer (coming to consoles)
- has a level editor

Steam store page.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 19 April 2018 - 12:58 AM

• The Truth is in here

Well, it was about time! The motorbike reference to Duke really couldn't be more obvious, but they never made a secret of the similarities. It seems they may ditch the darker look of SS3 in favor of a more cartoony approach (which they already indicated back in 2016 iirc), which is a good choice as far as I am concerned. Another round of mass carnage? Hell, my body is more than ready!

This post has been edited by NightFright: 19 April 2018 - 02:02 AM

User is offline   Dr_Proton 

Looks like Serious Sam can fill that deep and dark hole that Duke Nukem Forever left in my heart :P

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

AAAAAAAAAAA

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostDr_Proton, on 19 April 2018 - 02:32 AM, said:

Looks like Serious Sam can fill that deep and dark hole that Duke Nukem Forever left in my heart :lol:

It already happened on SS3 by modding. :lol:

==

Not sure this time I would still like SS4 like past...I hope I can... :P

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 19 April 2018 - 03:59 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Okay, so here are the bits and pieces we know for now:

- It won't be open world but the scale of the levels have gotten a lot bigger than in any previous Sam game.
- Back in 2014 it was confirmed that SS4 will take place in France. The teaser has French road signs so it looks like they kept that setting but the title "Planet Badass" can indicate more than one countries.
- CroTeam stopped using engine numbers so the engine is just called Serious Engine now but it seems like a heavily upgraded version of the Serious Engine 4 The Talos Principle used.
- The gameplay will be more "classic" than what we've seen in SS3 so guess that means no reloading, maybe not even sprinting.
- It will be a 64 bit application and it will have a Vulkan renderer (maybe they'll keep DirectX 11 from Talos too though I don't see much point in that since Vulkan will always perform better).
- The story will be a prequel to SS3... which was a prequel to SS1 so it's the prequel of a prequel now! :P
- There won't be any desert levels in the game... lol.
- There will be co-op of course and we'll also get crossplatform multiplayer (once SS4 comes to consoles, only for PC now) and a level editor.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 19 April 2018 - 05:17 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Wooooo!

View PostZaxx, on 19 April 2018 - 05:16 AM, said:

- It will be a 64 bit application and it will have a Vulkan renderer (maybe they'll keep DirectX 11 from Talos too though I don't see much point in that since Vulkan will always perform better).

I don't know the details of Vulkan, but I do know that the Vulkan driver for Doom 2016 performed way worse for me on my GTX 970 than DirectX.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 19 April 2018 - 05:28 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 19 April 2018 - 05:27 AM, said:

Wooooo!

I don't know the details of Vulkan, but I do know that the Vulkan driver for Doom 2016 performed way worse for me on my GTX 970 than DirectX.

Vulkan performed way better on my GTX 970 and on that card the benefit is not huge so what I got was mostly from the CPU overhead being way lower. The same happens in Talos Principle when it comes to DirectX 11 vs. Vulkan.

Anyway Doom 2016 used OpenGL originally.

Edit: Btw. I'm not saying that Vulkan can't perform worse because if it's badly implemented or if there is some bug that's happening on your machine (there are still a few quirks with Vulkan and for example it's worth checking if something's not wrong like more than one version of the Vulkan runtime being installed, bad drivers etc.) it can but that's not the case with Doom's and Talos's implementations.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 19 April 2018 - 06:18 AM

View PostZaxx, on 19 April 2018 - 05:16 AM, said:

- Back in 2014 it was confirmed that SS4 will take place in France. The teaser has French road signs so it looks like they kept that setting but the title "Planet Badass" can indicate more than one countries.

The 2015 April Fools prank revealed that Italy (specifically Vatican City) will also be featured in the game.

• The Truth is in here

At least they are not calling it Serious Sam: World Tour.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostPikaCommando, on 19 April 2018 - 06:26 AM, said:

The 2015 April Fools prank revealed that Italy (specifically Vatican City) will also be featured in the game.

Damn, and here I was thinking about jokes featuring Sam's baguette.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNightFright, on 19 April 2018 - 06:34 AM, said:

At least they are not calling it Serious Sam: World Tour.

How about a Serious Sam 4: Duke Nukem Tour instead? :P Call me crazy but I enjoyed Bulletstorm's Duke DLC for what it was and I'd love to see the same stuff done for a more fitting game like Serious Sam.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 19 April 2018 - 06:44 AM

I can't believe that it was only last year that we started to get videos of the mysterious Palm OS version of Serious Sam TFE. A version that was released 17 years ago.

This post has been edited by mrDUKE!zone: 19 April 2018 - 07:34 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostmrDUKE!zone, on 19 April 2018 - 07:32 AM, said:

I can't believe that it was only last year that we started to get videos of the mysterious Palm OS version of Serious Sam TFE. A version that was released 17 years ago.

https://www.youtube....h?v=BokI0PCXmro

Wow.... That looks, awful.

Why wouldn't you make a top down, smash-TV version of Sam for portable systems? It makes no sense to try and cram a huge horde shooter into something that small.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostZaxx, on 19 April 2018 - 06:14 AM, said:

Vulkan performed way better on my GTX 970 and on that card the benefit is not huge so what I got was mostly from the CPU overhead being way lower. The same happens in Talos Principle when it comes to DirectX 11 vs. Vulkan.

Anyway Doom 2016 used OpenGL originally.

Edit: Btw. I'm not saying that Vulkan can't perform worse because if it's badly implemented or if there is some bug that's happening on your machine (there are still a few quirks with Vulkan and for example it's worth checking if something's not wrong like more than one version of the Vulkan runtime being installed, bad drivers etc.) it can but that's not the case with Doom's and Talos's implementations.

Right, OpenGL. I don't know what to tell you. I'm sure I don't have multiple installations of Vulkan as Doom was the first time I used it. This was the general concensus as far as I knew that while Vulkan did wonders for AMD GPUs, it underperformed on Nvidia for some reason. Maybe that's changed. I consistently got much less framerate with Vulkan than OpenGL. But I haven't played it in a while.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 19 April 2018 - 09:16 AM, said:

Right, OpenGL. I don't know what to tell you. I'm sure I don't have multiple installations of Vulkan as Doom was the first time I used it. This was the general concensus as far as I knew that while Vulkan did wonders for AMD GPUs, it underperformed on Nvidia for some reason. Maybe that's changed. I consistently got much less framerate with Vulkan than OpenGL. But I haven't played it in a while.

All I can say is that when Vulkan came out for Doom it ran like ass for me: the framerate got a bit of a barely noticeable bump but the framepacing was so all over the place that it felt like a stuttery mess. A bit after that the newer Vulkan drivers fixed that so it's worth it to give it a go.

The thing with Vulkan is that its raw performance benefit will vary from setup to setup (for example if you have a new badass CPU you'll benefit a lot less from it with an Nvidia card than I will with the same GPU since I have a 7 year old i7 so getting rid of the overhead gives me quite a nice boost), where it really matters to me is the parts of Doom that are noticeably CPU bound. The game always ran perfectly fine on my machine but in OpenGL there were a few larger areas where I saw dips below 60 fps during combat because the game just ate up my CPU, with Vulkan that problem disappeared.

So you know, there is a reason why Wolf TNC, a game that can be significantly more demanding than Doom 2016 doesn't even have an OpenGL renderer anymore and uses Vulkan exclusively. Vulkan is still in active development though (and the newest runtime that has better multithreading is not even included with Nvidia drivers yet) so things can improve and chances are they will.

• The Sarien Encounter

Nice. Will have to give it another go. I'm still using an old i7 2600k Sandy Bridge CPU so I imagine there should be improvements. I always got anywhere between 90-120 FPS constantly in OpenGL, though. And since my monitor is only 60hz, I probably won't notice that much difference. But initially with Vulkan it would dip to 70-80. Again, not really a difference visually, but it definitely impacted performance.

I need a new monitor anyway. Keeps glitching out and sometimes blacking out for a full second. Murder when playing a twitch-driven game. I'd like to get a higher refresh rate model though.

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options