• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTrooper Dan, on 06 April 2018 - 01:55 PM, said:

Nice! Has that change made it into synthesis yet?

Two weeks ago.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostHendricks266, on 06 April 2018 - 10:33 AM, said:

The shader mode looks the same as with Palette Emulation on, but without the performance and VRAM problems.

So how is the shader handling visibility? I expected it to be more like polymer's artmapping where it works through the shade table, however it seems to simply be adding blackness like before? The blackness is more correct per-sector, and the actual colours through direct shading are accurate, however it doesn't seem to be confining the screen to 8-bit colours or interpolations thereoff.

I take it this is what you had in mind the whole time. The improvements in performance and VRAM are pretty nifty for sure.

Plus, it feels like you've improved the looking up and down at extreme angles?

• Weaponized Autism

The instructions we gave our graphics engineer Alex were simply to replace TX's CPU-side tileshades implementation with a shader for the sake of performance. If we have time we can look at improving its function but that's not our goal for the moment.

Changes to the viewing projection were implemented by Fox a few months back.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Looks like Ion Maiden is a big hit at PAX!

Posted Image

User is offline   Loke 

Seems like 3D Realms is still a force to be reckoned with. :P

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Make classic games great again! It's happening, and it's gotta be beautiful! 100 percent! It's true! You'll love it!

User is offline   gemeaux333 

So cheat codes already exist in the present version of the game ?

User is offline   stumppy84 

Awesome job guys!! Glad you guys are finding success with this game. Truly awesome and here’s to more success!

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Posted Image
https://twitter.com/...694502606372865

congrats.
I guess.
What's it for?

You gotta love 3DR, I mean, they made some great games, and then they shut down for a while, now they're coming back with a retro game, and yet people still seem to flock to it. Gearbox really needs to bring them on board for the next Duke game, it's only right.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostNever Forgotten, on 07 April 2018 - 03:20 PM, said:

You gotta love 3DR, I mean, they made some great games, and then they shut down for a while, now they're coming back with a retro game, and yet people still seem to flock to it. Gearbox really needs to bring them on board for the next Duke game, it's only right.

Voidpoint are very cool, yes.

• Honored Donor

View PostForge, on 07 April 2018 - 01:34 PM, said:

congrats.
I guess.
What's it for?

Isn't it obvious? It's the writers' choice awards. You know, for best plot in a video game Posted Image

View PostNever Forgotten, on 07 April 2018 - 03:20 PM, said:

3DR had made several games since their comeback. None have been as well received as this, and so talked about among the general gaming community. I'd argue it comes down more to the quality of the individual game than the publisher behind it, especially now compared to 3DR's heyday when indie developers can easily publish their games to the world. Sure, the nostalgia factor of using old tech really helps from the marketing perspective, but if the game wasn't any good, then it'd fizzle out pretty quickly.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 07 April 2018 - 04:13 PM

User is offline   Hawke 

Playing through the demo again trying to find all the secrets, it's just as fun now as the first time. Glad to see it's doing as well as it is.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMicky C, on 07 April 2018 - 04:09 PM, said:

Isn't it obvious? It's the writers' choice awards. You know, for best plot in a video game Posted Image

3DR had made several games since their comeback. None have been as well received as this, and so talked about among the general gaming community. I'd argue it comes down more to the quality of the individual game than the publisher behind it, especially now compared to 3DR's heyday when indie developers can easily publish their games to the world. Sure, the nostalgia factor of using old tech really helps from the marketing perspective, but if the game wasn't any good, then it'd fizzle out pretty quickly.

Indeed. There are so many "retro" shooters out there that just suck balls. It's the quality that is speaking to the gaming community. The nostalgia factor is just the opening come-hither. Anyone can do that part, it's the nuance and quality behind it that will help it to excel.

User is offline   cybdmn 

While quality is surely on of the biggest point, i would say that authenticity is one key to success. This is what IM lift above so many wannabe retro FPSes.

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 09 April 2018 - 05:31 AM, said:

Indeed. There are so many "retro" shooters out there that just suck balls. It's the quality that is speaking to the gaming community. The nostalgia factor is just the opening come-hither. Anyone can do that part, it's the nuance and quality behind it that will help it to excel.

Hell yeah. However, I'd also think that the technology itself is the huge factor. The only "retro shooters" I really enjoyed is not a commercial games, but a standalone mods based on the DOS/late 90s games. Games based on the old tech that also use some kind of a modern port, like eduke or gzdoom.
I also like modern games that mimics the old ones, to the point when you think it's the same old engine.

Ion Maiden is probably the very best retro FPS right now but it's also extremely modern, compared to every Build game made before. It's like Bobsp, Roch or Ale's maps comprared to the maps from '96-97.

User is offline   Forge 

People can label this retro.
I like to call it, "Got it right the first time, before everyone went eye-candy crazy".

Back to a time when content mattered and cut-scenes were minimal.

Posted Image

Is there an equivalent to the code DNSCOTTY at this time ?

User is offline   Player Lin 

View Postgemeaux333, on 09 April 2018 - 06:51 AM, said:

Is there an equivalent to the code DNSCOTTY at this time ?

I guess no, but console trick does works.

https://steamcommuni...914736006105895

Most interesting for me was the level warp command:
Yo can jump to any of the five beta levels by typing one of the following commands:

changelevel 3 1
changelevel 3 2
changelevel 3 3
changelevel 3 4
changelevel 3 5

Looks like IM's cheat codes just not totally implemented, yet. :P

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostSanek, on 09 April 2018 - 05:59 AM, said:

Hell yeah. However, I'd also think that the technology itself is the huge factor. The only "retro shooters" I really enjoyed is not a commercial games, but a standalone mods based on the DOS/late 90s games. Games based on the old tech that also use some kind of a modern port, like eduke or gzdoom.
I also like modern games that mimics the old ones, to the point when you think it's the same old engine.

Ion Maiden is probably the very best retro FPS right now but it's also extremely modern, compared to every Build game made before. It's like Bobsp, Roch or Ale's maps comprared to the maps from '96-97.

I did not mean to mark you down. I agree with you 100%.

When does Queen of the Hill go live on steam? I'm dying to get my hands on it!

• Weaponized Autism

Update 2 is live on Steam.

GOG.com and 3DRealms.com will be updated #SOON.

User is offline   Forge 

if my chimney didn't recently cave in and my dog didn't blow his knee out (unrelated incidents), I'd save up for the steam version, because I'm an impatient git,

So "Queen of the Hill" is similar to "War of Attrition mode" in Deeperthought's Attrition Duke3d mod?

It's a pretty fun method of playing.

This post has been edited by Forge: 12 April 2018 - 09:24 PM

• The Truth is in here

I hope the 3DR guys somehow fix the download menu. If they add the second update in the same way they did with the first, I won't be able to click the link... xD

• Honored Donor

View PostNightFright, on 13 April 2018 - 02:09 AM, said:

I hope the 3DR guys somehow fix the download menu. If they add the second update in the same way they did with the first, I won't be able to click the link... xD

Maybe it's already updated and you just can't see it? Posted Image

I don't see why they don't just replace the whole download each time instead of providing patches separately. The game is what, 80mb?

• The Truth is in here

Indeed. I am wondering who would want to download the original version first and then "upgrade" from that. Then again, IIRC this "patch" includes all the files you need to play anyway, so it's quite redundant to have both versions there. People should only be interested in the latest release, anyway.

Just playing Queen of the Hill now. Ton of fun, gave me a Serious Sam feeling where youre just running backwards and holding down that fire button. The first few levels were actually more difficult than the later ones because youre running around like an idiot trying to find the last two spiders that are stuck on a little wall before the timer runs out. I died once and on my second attempt made it right to the final wave and I'm convinced there's no way i can beat it. I got it down to about 130 enemies remaining but my framerate absolutely TANKED. I'm talking slideshow presentation. In any case, great game mode- the minigun is very satisfying to use. I like the way it forces you backward with recoil when youre standing still.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostNightFright, on 13 April 2018 - 02:09 AM, said:

^this

it's annoying to have to inspect the element, then disable the box padding to see all the items in it.

If they want to jam everything in a little box, then they should add a scroll bar to the side.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

The new patch seems like a massive improvement: I'm yet to see any hitching and it seems like the framerate went up in quite a few places resulting in better overall fps. There is still stuff to be done when it comes to frame pacing (and there are still a few chokepoints for the CPU where performance could be improved) but once that's sorted you'll have a beast of a source port. Wonderful work!

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 13 April 2018 - 10:46 AM

Win at first try :

https://steamuserima...und-color=black

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 13 April 2018 - 12:23 PM

Share this topic:

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options