Duke4.net Forums: Unreal Thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unreal Thread  "A place for discussing Unreal"

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Unreal Championship 2 is tied with 2004 for me for best in the series.
You can turn off the melee and play it strictly first person and its still a really fun game, they went wild with the mobility and adrenaline stuff (which you can also turn off)

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I remember playing the original Unreal demo back in the day, it was beautiful and fun to explore... I don't think I've ever finished it. I don't finish very many games to tell you the truth.

My dad and I played it co-op together sometimes with my brother right to the end. It was quite a lengthy game! Loved it. Love the atmosphere. It's too bad Epic never made another game in the same vein. It was so good. Unreal 2 was crap by comparison.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 20 August 2016 - 05:43 PM

User is offline   deuxsonic 

Unreal 2 should have been named something else. They put the Skaarj in there seemingly to tie it somehow to the Unreal universe. Epic/DE didn't develop it, a massive chunk of the game was cut before release, and the movement speed is insanely slow which was almost certainly done to try and lengthen what little game they were left with. Every game has some cut content but not like this.

https://liandri.beyo...nt_of_Unreal_II
https://tcrf.net/Unreal_II

Also, Unreal never had a demo. I think with how development of the game was the team pushed to the max, they decided that those resources were better spent elsewhere. That's what's ironic about Unreal II being so short is that the original game was quite long but it never gets boring, the environments are just incredible. Even some of the interior things like the short level Illumination where the massive reactor in the Skaarj ship blows up and then you're left to explore the game in the dark for a while in the next map The Darkening. The design of The Source is still one of the coolest final boss levels, fighting the huge queen in this awesome arena. After Unreal and RTNP the whole thing veered into Unreal Tournament and stayed there. Operation: Na Pali was an unofficial campaign I enjoyed but as with RTNP they should have left protagonist talking out of it.

• The Sarien Encounter

The guys that did the Return to Na Pali expansion for the original did the sequel. I remember that being ok though. So what happened?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 20 August 2016 - 07:20 PM

I didn't like how muscular the Skaarj are in Unreal 2. I think there was a screenshot with a more sleek Unreal 1-like Skaarj.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by PikaCommando: 20 August 2016 - 07:23 PM

My greatest memory of Unreal 2 was the time they released a screenshot with fake shadows drawn into it, erroneously claimed it was real, and later announced an apology and retraction which included new screenshots with the actual real time shadows.

Quite a different time it was. Or, was it?

View PostMarphy Black, on 20 August 2016 - 07:54 PM, said:

Quite a different time it was. Or, was it?

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Posted Image

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 20 August 2016 - 07:19 PM, said:

The guys that did the Return to Na Pali expansion for the original did the sequel. I remember that being ok though. So what happened?

Yes, Legend was listed as the developer of Return to Na Pali. However, the expansion is almost entirely content that was cut from the main game, so Legend actually had a pretty minor role in actually making the expansion since they were basically just tweaking stuff left out of the main game. The game shows map authors when first loaded. The Foundry for example, was a CliffyB map.

Two more for you. Fire Breath was one of the few UT tracks not done by those in Straylight, but Tero Kostermaa (Teque) and Kai-Eerik Kompaa (Nitro) instead.The second video shows some new UT map eye candy. Quake Champions actually looks a lot like the new UT.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 20 August 2016 - 08:18 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postdeuxsonic, on 20 August 2016 - 08:08 PM, said:

Yes, Legend was listed as the developer of Return to Na Pali. However, the expansion is almost entirely content that was cut from the main game, so Legend actually had a pretty minor role in actually making the expansion since they were basically just tweaking stuff left out of the main game.

So kind of like Gearbox with The Doctor Who Cloned Me DLC for DNF.

I'm not sure how complete that content was before Gearbox got ahold of it, but in the case of Return to Na Pali, the maps were pretty much done. If you download the betas for Unreal, some of the maps are present the way they were at that point in development. Changing lighting and exits and whatnot around is pretty minor.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

heh you're right it's not a demo. It came with an old video card back then.. I guess that's why I put it in the demo category. (Diamond Monster Fusion 3d 16mb pci voodoo banshee chip.)

This post has been edited by Robman: 20 August 2016 - 09:08 PM

If I remember correctly some Voodoo cards were bundled with it to show off the Glide support Unreal had. OpenGL and Direct3D were added in subsequent patching but were always considered experimental. They've been maintained and improved over the years unofficially to where they can do tons of things the original DLLs could never do.

http://www.oldunreal.../downloads.html
http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/

Direct3D 8, 9, 10, and 11 were also unofficially developed for the first couple Unreal engines (Unreal Engine 2 was officially Direct3D 8 I believe with additional OpenGL support for MacOS and Linux).

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 20 August 2016 - 09:19 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Unreal: The Backstory https://www.facebook...153814555037621

Anyone who used to (or still does) make maps for Unreal 1, here?

Since Unreal Tournament can play Unreal deathmatch maps without problems (since Unreal is in Unreal Tournament) I think once that came out and with an improved UnrealEd (which was also made part of Unreal when they upgraded Unreal to the UT tech), a lot of people moved to Unreal Tournament maps, but there should still be some Unreal maps to play.

http://www.oldunreal...aps/deathmatch/
http://www.oldunreal.com/maps/single/
http://www.oldunreal...maps/darkmatch/
http://www.oldunreal...aps/napalimaps/

For Operation: Na Pali, it was basically an Unreal campaign that was designed for Unreal Tournament.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 29 August 2016 - 07:42 PM

User is offline   Loke 

View PostAltered Reality, on 29 August 2016 - 02:44 PM, said:

Anyone who used to (or still does) make maps for Unreal 1, here?

Only one map, a few years ago.

The first new MCA song I've listened to in like 15 years.

I finally finished the entire Single-Player campaign of the first Unreal this year, and it's a bloody long game. The quality of the maps range from good to great, but the standout has always been The Sunspire for me. As a child, I was always stunned at how high that level was. Bluff Eversmoking is absolutely huge and very non-linear, and Terraniux was a cool, tech themed level with the best music, so my top three Unreal levels are The Sunspire, Bluff Eversmoking, and Terraniux.

User is offline   Loke 

I've been following this project for a while and it looks really good. All of the maps are being reworked with new stuff added as well. It's a one-man project so it's going to take years to finish (about 25% done at the moment).

http://www.unrealredux.com/

Posted Image

Posted Image

• The Sarien Encounter

:D

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Little demonstration video of something i've been toying with on and off for the last couple months in UE4.

"Tron crossed with Portal." An FPS puzzle platformer.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Regarding Unreal Redux: Holy ballsack, I need a piece of that!

User is offline   necroslut 

Trying to play though Unreal 1 (I never played more than the first one or two levels before) I have to admit I find it fucking boring. Sure, the large environments and advanced enemy AI was impressive, but, like... that's all there is. Over and over.
To me it feels like they stuck too much content and levels in there and didn't bother to get rid of the poor ones, resulting in a lot of sameness and repetition. The same goes for the enemies, which gets old quickly.
I really can't bring myself to take on more than one or two levels at a time unless I die of boredom.

UT99 is great though. Almost difficult to believe the same level designers are responsible for it.

User is offline   axl 

View Postnecroslut, on 04 April 2018 - 12:05 PM, said:

Trying to play though Unreal 1 (I never played more than the first one or two levels before) I have to admit I find it fucking boring. Sure, the large environments and advanced enemy AI was impressive, but, like... that's all there is. Over and over.
To me it feels like they stuck too much content and levels in there and didn't bother to get rid of the poor ones, resulting in a lot of sameness and repetition. The same goes for the enemies, which gets old quickly.
I really can't bring myself to take on more than one or two levels at a time unless I die of boredom.

I agree on the fact that some levels can drag a bit, but what Unreal 1 does really well, is create a truely believable world. The atmosphere is just incredible.

• The Sarien Encounter

That's what I loved about it. The only thing I didn't like that may be adding to your sense of boredom is that there is no exposition for the story at all. Normally I'm all about this, but considering how long the game is it could have used SOME dialogue. Of course, it was a different time and Half-Life hadn't yet hit the arena. It does paint quite a picture of a story with subtext, though, which is no small feat. And yes, there are the many diaries and logs you find that you read with your universal translator, and that helps. But the visuals are just excellent. I loved it the whole way through. I do understand why some people would find it boring and repetitive though. And yes, the atmosphere is incredible.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View Postnecroslut, on 04 April 2018 - 12:05 PM, said:

Trying to play though Unreal 1 (I never played more than the first one or two levels before) I have to admit I find it fucking boring.

Wanna know the definition of boring? Play Unreal 2, it's better than sleeping pills. :P I never knew why that game is called "The Awakening" because being awake is not exactly the thing you do in it.

I remember my first time with Unreal (I was very late to the party just like you are), I got bored of it too. Then I gave it another shot a few months later and found that once you get through the first few levels it gets more and more interesting. When I finished the campaign I was so hooked that I quickly completed Return to Na Pali too.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 04 April 2018 - 03:47 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 04 April 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:

That's what I loved about it. The only thing I didn't like that may be adding to your sense of boredom is that there is no exposition for the story at all. Normally I'm all about this, but considering how long the game is it could have used SOME dialogue. Of course, it was a different time and Half-Life hadn't yet hit the arena. It does paint quite a picture of a story with subtext, though, which is no small feat. And yes, there are the many diaries and logs you find that you read with your universal translator, and that helps. But the visuals are just excellent. I loved it the whole way through. I do understand why some people would find it boring and repetitive though. And yes, the atmosphere is incredible.

Unreal does a great job with atmosphere on the whole, and has some really great pieces sprinkled throughout, but some of the spaces in between those bits are rather over long.

View PostZaxx, on 04 April 2018 - 03:45 PM, said:

Wanna know the definition of boring? Play Unreal 2, it's better than sleeping pills. :P I never knew why that game is called "The Awakening" because being awake is not exactly the thing you do in it.

I remember my first time with Unreal (I was very late to the party just like you are), I got bored of it too. Then I gave it another shot a few months later and found that once you get through the first few levels it gets more and more interesting. When I finished the campaign I was so hooked that I quickly completed Return to Na Pali too.

Not to keep pimping this fucker's content but I think Civvie11 did a great job on this one too

Biggest issues with Unreal 2, the movement speed is sluggish, the levels are fairly linear with very little additional to explore. Most of the game is played facing generic enemies, and using generic weapons. All the more iconic redesigns of basic FPS weapons from Unreal are repleased with their more conventional counter parts.

It would be great to see an Unreal III where they combined slightly sturdier narrative, but also retained that sense of a big living world. Not nesscarily an "open world" but just having levels that feel like it's all part of a greater whole, a living place with a history.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostZaxx, on 04 April 2018 - 03:45 PM, said:

I'm like 10 hours in so I'm not really at the beginning anymore. I just get a major feeling of deja vu playing it. They could probably have cut half the levels and the game wouldn't be worse off.

And I have played Unreal II, but unlike the first game I didn't expect much from it.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 05 April 2018 - 01:17 AM

User is offline   Avoozl 

I finally got myself to finish the main campaign of Unreal Gold for the first time a few weeks ago, the playthrough lasted since 2013 since I kept on dropping it and came back to it a lot throughout that whole length of time. At first it seemed interesting but after time I didn't really enjoy it that much anymore, there was some nice looking locations and scenes though despite how dated the game was overall, but I also liked some of the music. I did playthrough and finish Unreal II before Unreal I but I really didn't enjoy it that much. I still need to finish the expansion for Unreal I but some of the new weapons do make it a little more interesting.

I bought the anthology pack back in 2013 because I never played nor owned the two singleplayer Unreal games, I did play UT99, UT2004 and UT3 well before I bought the anthology pack.

This post has been edited by Grand Admiral Thrawn: 23 April 2018 - 07:51 PM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options