Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Hollywood Holocaust Rethinked - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Hollywood Holocaust Rethinked

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

The other problem is that we are still using ancient, worn-out tech like MD3. There are all sorts of cool stuff you can do with normals that just aren't going to work with MD3 and how the current renderer treats gloss and spec maps.

Ferinstance.... this is a recent model by Mark for the Doomsday 2.0 project. It will look a lot like this in game.
Posted Image

User is offline   Mark 

It looks like we'll be hitting 500 downloads today for the project. I know it hardly compares to some previous releases from others but I'm quite pleased because at release time I was expecting maybe 200 max. Thanks to all of you that played the game. I hope you liked it.

Merry Christmas.

User is offline   Mark 

When I added the prank phonecall bit from Shadow Warrior into HHR I thought I was being clever. Now that I played the Nuclear Winter mod I see its already been done. Have other mods used it before me too?

Although mine also had a responses from Duke in the call which was different. Plus one of the secret areas shows LoWang making the calls.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 29 December 2017 - 09:05 AM

User is offline   Dacoolguy 

View PostTea Monster, on 26 November 2017 - 07:49 AM, said:

The other problem is that we are still using ancient, worn-out tech like MD3. There are all sorts of cool stuff you can do with normals that just aren't going to work with MD3 and how the current renderer treats gloss and spec maps.

Ferinstance.... this is a recent model by Mark for the Doomsday 2.0 project. It will look a lot like this in game.
Posted Image

Any links to some project page of forum regarding that model?
I think it looks awesome and I'm curious to see more Doom 3d model work done at that level of quality.

User is offline   Mark 

You would be surprised at how great some of the models from HHR look in a better renderer. Teamonster probably knows the right Doomsday link. I just handed off the model to him. He is working with the Project leader.

User is offline   Dacoolguy 

View PostMark., on 22 February 2018 - 12:10 PM, said:

You would be surprised at how great some of the models from HHR look in a better renderer. Teamonster probably knows the right Doomsday link. I just handed off the model to him. He is working with the Project leader.

But that's an Energy Cell Pack 3d model made after the original Doom sprite.
Is there no project page related to that model?
I would have expected to be some forum link somewhere, where more of that stuff is posted.
If you made it, then it looks very detailed, really like it.
Doom is in desperate need of detailed looking 3d models since forever.
I never to this day undestood how from such a popular game with such a huge modding fan community, was there nobody talented enough to actually go through with a full HRP for Doom, that's at least as good looking as the Duke Nukem HRP if not better.
Everything I've ever seen is very low quality and very amateurish looking.
I never used 3d models in doom, precisely because by my standards they're very low quality low poly, very poorly animated amateurish shit.

This post has been edited by Dacoolguy: 22 February 2018 - 12:24 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Teamomster had a link to a short video with some new models in Doomsday. The latest update pack is still WIP and unreleased. I'm not part of the team so I'm not sure where an official forum thread is for that.

• Polymancer

There is an active thread on the Doomsday forum over here: http://talk.dengine....del-project/p10

We've tried to mention stuff a few times over on Doomworld, but I think that's a bit of a lost cause generally :dukecigar:

I post pics occasionally on our own Doom thread here as well.

Could you make a "lite" pack that only includes the new enemies and their textures, for use with the HRP?

• Polymancer

KuriKai assembles the packs, I'll ask him. In Doomsday, it's possible to turn on just the items you want, even though the whole pack has been loaded into Doomsday. So you can create a completely custom pack, just by turning off the items you don't want to play with.

• Polymancer

I've recorded a playthrough with commentary.
https://youtu.be/HqoxLr6hTQE

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 26 April 2018 - 01:16 PM

User is offline   Mark 

View PostMark., on 01 September 2017 - 09:10 AM, said:

Here you go guys. The Red Light District map for HHR.

As I promised, I spent only a few afternoons this week to see what I could come up with before I move on to my next major project. After spending so much time on HHR it seems I just don't have the will to do another map properly. That plus trying to do this without making many more required models and textures is making this look too much like the first map. So I guess this is just a teaser. Its loaded with a lot of half done areas with half assed ideas. :( But I said I would release what I have by the weekend. Because it was heavily W.I.P. try not to judge it too harshly. This was just a fun experiment for a few days for me.

I was looking through my project folders and decided to attempt to finish what I started with the remaking of Red Light District. I have been working on it a hour here and an hour there. It shouldn't take more than another week or 2 if I stick with it. Like in the above post, it will still use existing HHR assets. Like HH, I'm adding a few new areas, retexturing original ones and of course adding more eye candy to the map.

User is offline   Mark 

I forgot to mention in the previous post that at the same time I will also be releasing a version of the previous HHR map without the humor and NPCs. E1L2 will also be without those elements. Even though the mod had overwhelmingly positive reviews according to Youtube replies, most of the haters pointed to the static NPCs and their dialog.

User is offline   Mark 

Sorry, nothing new here. I was reading through this thread and realized I forgot to provide a link to the thread for the other maps I released for this project.
https://forums.duke4...post__p__301678

User is offline   Mark 

I was happy to see 2 more video playthroughs of HHR on Youtube. However, it comes with a downside. Presentation can mean so much and if someone does a bad one it can hurt the mod.

The first video has no narration and played without the Polymer lighting which was a main feature of the mod. Other annoyances in his gameplay but I won't go into detail.

The second video is from a guy that has experience doing game reviews and it had the potential to be a great review. But he had massive stuttering and lockups from his computer. HHR does push a comp hard along with recording slowdowns. But he also had trouble finding new areas of the map. Some which were needed to complete it. He also got killed a bunch of times because the areas he missed contained weapons and health. He also missed 4 of the 7 secret areas and other not secret but new areas. Overall he had some nice things to say but HHR would have been better served with a litlle pre-recording practice round. It would have allowed his video to show better gameplay and some of the stuttering would have been gone since his cache would be present for texture loading after the first play.

And last, both guys mis-spelled the title of the mod. But luckily Youtube was smart enough to present them in a search anyway.

This post has been edited by Mark: 29 October 2018 - 05:37 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMark, on 29 October 2018 - 05:36 AM, said:

I was happy to see 2 more video playthroughs of HHR on Youtube. However, it comes with a downside. Presentation can mean so much and if someone does a bad one it can hurt the mod.

The first video has no narration and played without the Polymer lighting which was a main feature of the mod.

This is why some EDuke32 mods put up a big screen on top of the hud telling the player when they are using the wrong renderer. It sucks to have to do that.

The second video is from a guy that has experience doing game reviews and it had the potential to be a great review. But he had massive stuttering and lockups from his computer. HHR does push a comp hard along with recording slowdowns. But he also had trouble finding new areas of the map. Some which were needed to complete it. He also got killed a bunch of times because the areas he missed contained weapons and health.

And this is why so many modern fps games are just fancy looking corridors, where people can't miss anything.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

The first may be a symptom of the latter though (player turned off lights because they were giving him performance issues)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The first video has no narration and played without the Polymer lighting which was a main feature of the mod. Other annoyances in his gameplay but I won't go into detail.

The second video is from a guy that has experience doing game reviews and it had the potential to be a great review. But he had massive stuttering and lockups from his computer. HHR does push a comp hard along with recording slowdowns. But he also had trouble finding new areas of the map. Some which were needed to complete it. He also got killed a bunch of times because the areas he missed contained weapons and health. He also missed 4 of the 7 secret areas and other not secret but new areas. Overall he had some nice things to say but HHR would have been better served with a litlle pre-recording practice round. It would have allowed his video to show better gameplay and some of the stuttering would have been gone since his cache would be present for texture loading after the first play.

And last, both guys mis-spelled the title of the mod. But luckily Youtube was smart enough to present them in a search anyway.

That's not unique to your mod. I remember someone doing a playthrough of the DNF DLC; Davox's excellent bike ride through the city in the 2nd map. However, the player is simply incapable of making one of the jumps, and keeps trying it over and over again, only to fail each time. It's actually pretty funny and worth a watch (the interesting bit starts around the 3 minute mark).

https://youtu.be/5u_Cf0RJPRg?t=190

This post has been edited by Micky C: 29 October 2018 - 04:42 PM

• Polymancer

In one of them, the dude literally walks straight past the Die Hard joke, and then wonders for the next minute or so what the voiceover is for. I mean, how do you miss a dude pinned to a wall with a length of sewer pipe?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Isn't that Commando?

• Polymancer

Thanks! We've been talking to someone who is going to attempt to make a pack for GZDoom.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostTea Monster, on 30 November 2018 - 04:41 PM, said:

Thanks! We've been talking to someone who is going to attempt to make a pack for GZDoom.

Ol' caco looks particularly awesome. Very nicely textured.

It's really tricky to bring those old 8-bit arts up to modern standards since a lot of the character and charm comes from some of the inherit limitations of that era. The 'grit" that people often refer to as being lost.

User is offline   Mark 

I was cleaning away some clutter from project folders and ran across this little cutscene video that Teamonster put together in Blender. I needed a video at the time to test working with a converter program to make it an ivf file to use in Eduke32. Its only about 3 seconds long. It is a mockup of the final boss area of HHR with Duke and the Battlelord facing each other.

Just unzip the file to your main directory. It will place only the logo.ivf file and nothing else so its easy to remove if you wish.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  logo.zip (128.5K)
    Number of downloads: 250

• Polymancer

Thanks Commando Nukem!

As to Mark's post, I did a fair bit of concepting around the end boss fight and how the rooftop would be constructed. The original design was going to be more multi-level, with Duke fighting his way up the last 3 floors till he got to the topmost platform, where he'd meet the Battlelord. This was when we realised that we didn't have the technology for our technology demo since ICD disappeared (the first time!). Did we want to just have a vanilla reconstruction of Hollywood Holocaust, or did we want to provide something extra? Considering that there were only 3 of us, and one of them was very part-time, we chose the foolish option and decided to push the envelope out!

The end battle went through a variety of different designs, some of which I've shown here. I got the old HRP models and built a version of the rooftop in Blender based on what Mark put together in Mapster. With this in place, we could now easily visualise where health could be put as well as obstacles and attack angles for Duke. That's Hellbound's Battlelord model in there.

This is one of the original arrangements, where the Battlelord was on top of the helipad.
Posted Image

We decided that things would be more exciting if Duke had to go directly toe-to-toe with the bad boy and we opened the arena out and added some visual flair by creating a structural steel basis for further floors.
Posted Image

Later on, we started to work on the lighting and mood for the level in Blender. We'd decided that the aliens landing on the roof would have knocked over most of the steel.
Posted Image

Before we decided to torture ourselves even more and provide an animated cutscene on board the ship, Duke was going to RPG the alien cruiser after killing the Battlelord.
Posted Image

"Those alien bastards are going to pay for shooting up my ride!"
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 07 January 2019 - 12:33 AM

User is offline   3D Master 

I read through the thread after I got stuck on the level; the promised walkthrough with all the secrets didn't show up.

Anyway, there's a few problems I encountered:

Entering the Arcade for the second time, I hear another liz trooper, that starts shooting me straight through the ceiling... :wtf: Anyway, that allowed me to find the stairs upward in the next room; killed some protozoid slimers and some goner babes; but no liztrooper, indeed I can still hear the liztrooper and it's still shooting me through this room's ceiling? I've gone around trying to push/use everything but nothing opens up from here.

Where the heck is the jetpack? It's usually in that room behind the theater screen; there's nothing there now. Opening up the room to Bombshell doesn't give me my jetpack either. There's a switch there that says, "unlocked", but what the hell does it unlock? I can't figure out what it does; the security camera doesn't show me a clue either.

Where's the yellow keycard?

User is offline   ---- 

View Post3D Master, on 30 January 2019 - 02:08 PM, said:

I read through the thread after I got stuck on the level; the promised walkthrough with all the secrets didn't show up.

Anyway, there's a few problems I encountered:

Entering the Arcade for the second time, I hear another liz trooper, that starts shooting me straight through the ceiling... :wtf: Anyway, that allowed me to find the stairs upward in the next room; killed some protozoid slimers and some goner babes; but no liztrooper, indeed I can still hear the liztrooper and it's still shooting me through this room's ceiling? I've gone around trying to push/use everything but nothing opens up from here.

Where the heck is the jetpack? It's usually in that room behind the theater screen; there's nothing there now. Opening up the room to Bombshell doesn't give me my jetpack either. There's a switch there that says, "unlocked", but what the hell does it unlock? I can't figure out what it does; the security camera doesn't show me a clue either.

Where's the yellow keycard?

Here is some sort of walkthrough (copied from a few posts above). You can also find the place with the yellow keycard in there. :)

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 30 January 2019 - 03:16 PM

User is offline   Mark 

The unlocked quote on the screen was you unlocking the wood panel right there by the switch letting you in to see shelly.

There is no jetpack in the game. It would break flow and allow you to see map perimeter glitchery.

In the actual HH map it is in a room above the strip club. There is a second version of the BONUS map that allows you to get the yellow keycard. I forgot to make an access door to get to it in the first map.

The "hidden lizard" is most likely a ROR glitch. Slimers will occasionally glitch thru the ceiling too.

Here is the link to other maps for HHR.
https://forums.duke4...post__p__301678

This post has been edited by Mark: 30 January 2019 - 04:17 PM

User is offline   3D Master 

Well, I know why I didn't find the yellow keycard after watching that; with me I hard the door creaking, but it never opened.

User is offline   Mark 

Sorry, there was an Eduke problem with doors at the time of release causing doors not to open if you were up against them when you pressed the key to open. Plus it is a very slow opening creaky door so some people pressed the key and turned away too quickly thinking there was no working door there.

This post has been edited by Mark: 31 January 2019 - 08:42 AM

View PostMark, on 31 January 2019 - 08:40 AM, said:

Sorry, there was an Eduke problem with doors at the time of release causing doors not to open if you were up against them when you pressed the key to open. Plus it is a very slow opening creaky door so some people pressed the key and turned away too quickly thinking there was no working door there.

Come on, just admit that you are jealous about all keycards being picked up, it was like that on Decay, isn't? :) (btw thanks again for that fix).

Just let alone his keycards or "someone's gonna pay for picking up these frigging keycards".

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options