User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Any info about the actual size of the integrated USB stick? 64 or 128 MB? :P

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostNightFright, on 27 March 2018 - 01:00 PM, said:

Any info about the actual size of the integrated USB stick? 64 or 128 MB? :P

I could be wrong, but the total size of the pack is less than 128 Mb AFAIR

This is going back to the subject of sexualization, why is it wrong to sexualize female characters, but perfectly acceptable to do the same to male characters? I've wondered his for years. People complain about female characters with big tits and tight clothes, but's perfectly fine when you have a male protagonist with big muscles and tight clothes? I know muscles and tits are different, but women tend to sexualize men with muscles the same way men sexualize women with big tits. I don't see where the line is drawn. Personally, I think having Shelly be like the 90's version: big tits, tank top, etc, would've been a bold and interesting move. I'm getting tired of seeing characters like Lara Croft get "corrected" because it's not acceptable by the public. Be bold. Games have become ruined by snowflakes, like Watch Dogs 2, it had fully nude characters, but because people complained that you could see a vagina in it, they released a patch that removed all full frontal nudity. And it looks terrible. The women have skirts on that aren't designed properly, so their legs go right through them, and instead of adding panties, they simply made the top parts of the legs and the full crotch jet black... I'm rambling now... what I'm trying to say is this generation needs a female character who flaunts her sexuality, while also being a straight up badass. No more traumatic backgrounds, and we don't need just a sex object. Give us a strong female character who is also sexualized... is it so hard?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostNever Forgotten, on 27 March 2018 - 02:40 PM, said:

why is it wrong to sexualize female characters

sexualization and strong character are not exclusive.
Once sexualization is given on the first date, future dates with the character are forever pigeon-holed.
If you can show that the character can evolve and morph, then it can be given & taken away. Not always expected and demanded.

Look what happened to Duke. He was expected to be a smart-ass tough guy. He went full cringe in 2011 trying to maintain that image. It was an eventuality. He wasn't allowed to be anything else.

This post has been edited by Forge: 27 March 2018 - 03:12 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

This is going back to the subject of sexualization, why is it wrong to sexualize female characters, but perfectly acceptable to do the same to male characters? I've wondered his for years. People complain about female characters with big tits and tight clothes, but's perfectly fine when you have a male protagonist with big muscles and tight clothes? I know muscles and tits are different, but women tend to sexualize men with muscles the same way men sexualize women with big tits. I don't see where the line is drawn.

Yay, I'll open a huge can of worms now and explain where the line is. :P

The thing is that Duke is not a sexualized character, no matter how big his muscles are. Sexualization is not about the appearance of a character, it's about sexual objectification. So no matter how irrealistic Duke's body proportions and muscles are, he's not a sexual object and his appearance is not designed to evoke sexual objectification.

This is not a sexualized male:
Posted Image

This is a sexualized male:
Posted Image

The first one is about Arnie being strong and buff as fuck, the second is about Dante being a sexual object. Dante has a rose in his hand and his posture is feminine. His body has this weird, "sexy" curve in order to evoke a sense of motion because women are aroused by "sexual motion" and not by seeing a buff but static body.

Men are different: instead of "sexual motion" we like huge tits, hard nipples, round asses, you name it.

TLDRL: Male sexualization is when you see an image of a guy and your reaction is "wow, so gay". :lol:

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 27 March 2018 - 03:25 PM

View PostZaxx, on 27 March 2018 - 03:20 PM, said:

TLDRL: Male sexualization is when you see an image of a guy and your reaction is "wow, so gay". :P

Well, that was my first reaction to the picture, so you're right about that.

User is offline   Forge 

I'm getting tired of seeing characters like Lara Croft get "corrected"

proof is in your own statement
regardless of the reasoning behind the change, people with adolescent attachment are now upset that one of their childhood fantasies no longer has big boobs.
once given on a first date, there's no going back. The character can no longer evolve without major backlash.

This post has been edited by Forge: 27 March 2018 - 03:34 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostForge, on 27 March 2018 - 03:34 PM, said:

regardless of the reasoning behind the change, people with adolescent attachment are now upset that one of their childhood fantasies no longer has big boobs.

And the weird thing is that if you look at Lara in the new games she still has big boobs, she's still sexy as hell. She still works as a sexual object, it's just not as blatantly obvious as it was before. They found a nice middle ground with her.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I don't like it when people try to dictate what characters should or shouldn't look like. Sexualized, non-sexualized, military, monstrous, normal looking -- it all has its place. As a player, I prefer that my avatar be visually appealing in some way, but there are many ways to accomplish that. I tend to agree with those who object to characters getting edited due to politically correct attitudes on sexuality. On the other hand, if we start to demand that characters look like sexpots, then we are worse than the sexuality police. All I want is for developers to have the freedom to make stylistic choices without being pressured, demonized or otherwise hassled about it on moralistic grounds from any side. Freedom, baby!

View PostTrooper Dan, on 27 March 2018 - 04:25 PM, said:

Freedom, baby!

Posted Image

I do agree with you, developers should have the freedom to do whatever they want with their game... with certain limitations... keep it legal, y'know. :P

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostTrooper Dan, on 27 March 2018 - 04:25 PM, said:

I don't like it when people try to dictate what characters should or shouldn't look like. Sexualized, non-sexualized, military, monstrous, normal looking -- it all has its place. As a player, I prefer that my avatar be visually appealing in some way, but there are many ways to accomplish that. I tend to agree with those who object to characters getting edited due to politically correct attitudes on sexuality. On the other hand, if we start to demand that characters look like sexpots, then we are worse than the sexuality police. All I want is for developers to have the freedom to make stylistic choices without being pressured, demonized or otherwise hassled about it on moralistic grounds from any side. Freedom, baby!

Yeah, I think that's the best attitude to have and really sexualization is in the DNA of some franchises. What would Mortal Kombat be without sexy women?

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostForge, on 27 March 2018 - 03:34 PM, said:

once given on a first date, there's no going back. The character can no longer evolve without major backlash.

The problem is that the changes do not begin and end with the visuals. That's not where the agenda in general has taken developers.

Lara Croft wasn't just given a breast reduction. Her entire persona was rewritten, and for the worse. She started as quick-witted, educated, athletic, agile, courageous, and tough. They turned her into a platform for victimization and psedo-rape shame posturing.

Same for Samus Aran. Went from being a cold, calculating, brave, badass character to a weak-in-the-knees PTSD victim who literally lost all control of herself because of a man. All because there was an effort made to make her more "real" and "humanize" her. God forbid she shows up at the end of the game in a leotard or a bikini, that's sexist... But making her fall apart and have emotional break downs and lose just about every strong trait she had a character is so much better.

Thankfully it looks like Samus and Lara are pulling back from those God-awful mistakes and they're going back to their more classic personas.

Men are different: instead of "sexual motion" we like huge tits, hard nipples, round asses, you name it.

Men and Women as individuals are different too. What one woman finds sexually appealing is not going to be the same as the next. Some women do like "mountain" sized men who have arms bigger than their heads. When this conversation was had back when Bombshell was first being revealed, the subject of Duke's "unrealistic" design was brought up by myself in response to the notion that women are often given 'unrealistic' attire for combat. The problem with even bring Duke into the discussion is that most of us are looking at the sexuality of a female character as hetero-sexual males. We could be entirely blinded by the fact that a character like Duke has absolutely no sexual value to us. I know for a fact that there are women, I know a few, who find men like to be sexually desirable.

You're leaning more towards discussing general sexual identifiers in men and women. IE: firm breasts, pronounced hips, defined posterior, redness in the cheeks and lips, the pace/gait to a woman's walk. Those are all general sexual identifiers that men use when looking at women. It's generally autonomic. We automatically examine people for their sexual trademarks. What makes it more complicated is when you delve into social environment, trends, general culture. For one, the discussion here about a sexed up version of Bombshell. For me, personally? Big breasted, blonde, extra curvy, and looking like she walked off a platform with a pole wouldn't do much for me, because that's not my "type."

Considering for a moment that Bayonetta was created by a female and Duke Nukem was created by men, it would be interesting to reverse template and have a group of women design a Duke Nukem style character and men design a Bayonetta type of character.

View PostZaxx, on 27 March 2018 - 07:23 AM, said:

Haha:

Okay, that's fucking cool.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 27 March 2018 - 06:15 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

How do you insert the USB do that it’s supprted properly?

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMicky C, on 27 March 2018 - 06:10 PM, said:

How do you insert the USB do that it's supprted properly?

I doubt there's enough weight on there to worry about support issues.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 27 March 2018 - 05:54 PM, said:

The problem is that the changes do not begin and end with the visuals. That's not where the agenda in general has taken developers

Look what happened at Marvel comics.
Strong sexy characters
Now morally repugnant agenda characters with the same physical traits.
No longer so sexy now, even though they look the same.
Is transgenser hero-girl pre or post op penis?
Don't know. Don't want to know.

They tried to keep the physical sex appeal, but take the alleged moral high ground.
Fail.
Sales plummeted.
They're still in diversity denial.

There are different values & traits that attribute to what is sexy.
Sexy and strong are not exclusive.
Don't set the character up to fail.
Leave room to progress and regress without being nailed down to a few characteristics.
Shelly could be super hot under that body armor and uniform. We don't need to know that right away.
Anticipation for what may, or may not come .
Leave room for the imagination.
The imagination always gives you the sexiest result.

This post has been edited by Forge: 27 March 2018 - 07:02 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostCommando Nukem, on 27 March 2018 - 05:54 PM, said:

Lara Croft wasn't just given a breast reduction. Her entire persona was rewritten, and for the worse. She started as quick-witted, educated, athletic, agile, courageous, and tough. They turned her into a platform for victimization and psedo-rape shame posturing.

And that's a setting and tone where you can tell an interesting story TR never attempted before. I might have been frustrated about it if the original TR series was healthy as a franchise but let's face it: after Underworld it was dead as a doornail.

There is one thing I'm genuinely angry about when it comes to the new TR and I think that's the real issue instead of whatever route they took with Lara as a character: the gameplay. To me the heart and soul of Tomb Raider was never the story or sexy Lara, it was solving cool puzzles and overcoming the challenging environment by platforming. That's the experience I want from the series and while the new games are competent action games as a fan of the originals I feel left behind so Square can satisfy a larger audience. The way I see it Anniversary was the last true Tomb Raider game so it's just sad that that type of 3D platformer (along with Prince of Persia) died out. I want that shit back.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 27 March 2018 - 07:31 PM

View PostZaxx, on 27 March 2018 - 07:31 PM, said:

And that's a setting and tone where you can tell an interesting story TR never attempted before. I might have been frustrated about it if the original TR series was healthy as a franchise but let's face it: after Underworld it was dead as a doornail.

There is one thing I'm genuinely angry about when it comes to the new TR and I think that's the real issue instead of whatever route they took with Lara as a character: the gameplay. To me the heart and soul of Tomb Raider was never the story or sexy Lara, it was solving cool puzzles and overcoming the challenging environment by platforming. That's the experience I want from the series and while the new games are competent action games as a fan of the originals I feel left behind so Square can satisfy a larger audience. The way I see it Anniversary was the last true Tomb Raider game so it's just sad that that type of 3D platformer (along with Prince of Persia) died out. I want that shit back.

I never got to play the old ones, I've only seen gameplay. But I love the character of Lara. The problem with the new ones is something you mentioned. They're trying to satisfy a larger audience. That meant toning down everything, her chest size/sex appeal, the gameplay style,etc. It's a similar problem Splinter Cell went through, they tried making it more accessible, and in doing so, it lost its soul.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNever Forgotten, on 27 March 2018 - 08:22 PM, said:

I never got to play the old ones, I've only seen gameplay. But I love the character of Lara. The problem with the new ones is something you mentioned. They're trying to satisfy a larger audience. That meant toning down everything, her chest size/sex appeal, the gameplay style,etc. It's a similar problem Splinter Cell went through, they tried making it more accessible, and in doing so, it lost its soul.

The thing is that they already made Legend, Anniversary and Underworld a lot more accessible than the original games were and it worked wonderfully. Guess the problem was that A) Underworld was not very good and :P if you look at the original games you see niche titles by today's standards. Originally TR was not too violent, they were atmospheric games about exploring ancient ruins and secrets, literally the only thing that was mainstream about it was the Lara as a sexy protagonist.

I get why they made the switch and changed the concept into an Uncharted-like third person shooter (and honestly the combat in the new TR titles is better than what Uncharted has to offer, it's more dynamic and it works better), I mean if they want to make AAA blockbusters to chase the big money that's fine by me but there would be room for more classic games in the franchise. Between two AAA games they could for example remake the old games in the style of Anniversary: they could do it from a moderate budget and the games would sell well enough for it to be worth it. There is a fan remake of TR2 in the works, it's running on Unreal Engine 4 and it looks great, dunno why couldn't they do something like this officially:

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I've never liked the original Tomb Raider style of control. I don't know if the later games refined it in any way, but I really disliked that original Tomb Raider, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine/Emperor's Tomb, Duke Nukem Time To Kill/Land of the Babes control style. I've never played through the Tomb Raider games.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 27 March 2018 - 08:47 PM, said:

I've never liked the original Tomb Raider style of control. I don't know if the later games refined it in any way, but I really disliked that original Tomb Raider, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine/Emperor's Tomb, Duke Nukem Time To Kill/Land of the Babes control style. I've never played through the Tomb Raider games.

Starting from TR Legend they dropped the original PSX control scheme and camera control (or lack thereof :P). Legend, Anniversary and Underworld control like any other modern third person action-adventure game. If you played Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time or one of its sequels you'll know what to expect.

Anyway if you're new to the series Anniversary is a great way to start, it's the remake of TR1.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 27 March 2018 - 08:55 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostCommando Nukem, on 27 March 2018 - 06:18 PM, said:

I doubt there's enough weight on there to worry about support issues.

I hope so, although weight probably won't be the issue. Weight + distance from the connection would likely be the critical issue in failure. I assume they'd have tested it for feasibility before producing them in bulk though.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMicky C, on 27 March 2018 - 09:15 PM, said:

I hope so, although weight probably won't be the issue. Weight + distance from the connection would likely be the critical issue in failure. I assume they'd have tested it for feasibility before producing them in bulk though.

Speaking of bulk, will this be a limited edition or bulk?

Even if the floppy fails, I want it as a collector item, so I will not actually use it.

Yay, I'll open a huge can of worms now and explain where the line is. :P

The thing is that Duke is not a sexualized character, no matter how big his muscles are. Sexualization is not about the appearance of a character, it's about sexual objectification. So no matter how irrealistic Duke's body proportions and muscles are, he's not a sexual object and his appearance is not designed to evoke sexual objectification.

This is not a sexualized male:
Posted Image

This is a sexualized male:
Posted Image

The first one is about Arnie being strong and buff as fuck, the second is about Dante being a sexual object. Dante has a rose in his hand and his posture is feminine. His body has this weird, "sexy" curve in order to evoke a sense of motion because women are aroused by "sexual motion" and not by seeing a buff but static body.

TLDRL: Male sexualization is when you see an image of a guy and your reaction is "wow, so gay". :lol:

This whole post reeks of Neogaf. So it's basically a bunch angry feminists who get to decide what sexualization is and isn't, and if men try to say otherwise they'll just shriek "male power fantasy" until you give up debating them.

User is offline   Mark 

BTW, thats a strawberry on a spoon. Not a rose.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah. I know women who like shirtless muscular black men. Fighting in mud. I don't think any one person gets to dictate what is and isn't sexualization. But there is a bell curve of preference for the most popular representations of sexualuzation and young Arnold flexing in his underwear is one of them.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 28 March 2018 - 09:24 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 28 March 2018 - 09:23 AM, said:

Yeah. I know women who like shirtless muscular black men. Fighting in mud. I don't think any one person gets to dictate what is and isn't sexualization.

Let's be clear on something: I did not post an opinion, those are just facts, if you look up the subject (and not on NeoGaf, for fuck's sake... why is it that when you try to explain this stuff someone always appears with the insults?) this is what you will find.

And of course women like muscular men but psychologically it's not the muscle mass that is appealing but rather how that muscles mass "moves" (if you have low body fat with some nice guns it's physics that will make you look sexy :P). That pic of Arnie can evoke the fantasy of "wow, what could THOSE do to me" in women just like an image of a handsome guy in a suit can "because psychology" but the point of the image is not that.

The best way to understand it is that female sexualization targets men while male sexualization targets women, that's why Dante's holding that rose (okay, strawberry, sorry, looking at an image like that closely is not a priority for a healthy heterosexual male :lol:) and that's why he's laying there in that gay as hell posture. And really what would be the point of Duke being sexualized? 99% of people who play Duke Nukem are men, there is no audience to please with sexualized males in Duke Nukem.

Btw. I'm not a feminist (I mean I of course support women equality but modern feminism, especially gender feminism is about the absolute superiority of women if you look behind it, nothing to support there) and I've yet to see one feminist who speaks about or even acknowledges male sexualization as a thing. They just look at pictures of male models showing off their abs on the internet and meanwhile they complain about how only women are sexualized in media.

Anyway I don't like arguing about stuff like this so I stop (it's offtopic anyway), instead I encourage everyone to look this shit up. Speak out about it if you want to the next time those pesky Sarkeesians come around.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 28 March 2018 - 10:29 AM

User is offline   Sanek 

That floppy disk looks cool!
However, the usb joint itself is not the most common one I think...
I mean, most PCs support that kind of usb's, don't know about the ones that the game will be sold with.

This post has been edited by Sanek: 28 March 2018 - 10:34 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostSanek, on 28 March 2018 - 10:34 AM, said:

That floppy disk looks cool!
However, the usb joint itself is not the most common one I think...
I mean, most PCs support that kind of usb's, don't know about the ones that the game will be sold with.

Posted Image
At least that's how it seems to me from the video. The case is just different.

User is offline   Mark 

View PostZaxx, on 28 March 2018 - 10:21 AM, said:

Anyway I don't like arguing about stuff like this so I stop (it's offtopic anyway)...

There are about 90 posts in the last week on the subject of Shelly's looks. Why stop now. :P

View PostZaxx, on 28 March 2018 - 10:21 AM, said:

I did not post an opinion, those are just facts

I'm gonna need to see some receipts for that.

Share this topic:

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options