• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

So just to confirm, those of us that have the preview campaign via the Bombshell Digital Deluxe edition won't be getting the full version of the game right? (we also still don't have the update either btw)

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 21 March 2018 - 07:03 AM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Correct about the digital deluxe. What platform is it that you're not seeing the update?

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Posted Image

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostMblackwell, on 21 March 2018 - 08:10 AM, said:

Correct about the digital deluxe. What platform is it that you're not seeing the update?

The same one. GOG Bombshell Digital Deluxe Edition. Or has it been updated since?

EDIT: It might have, actually. It now reads on the download list as 70MB instead of 80MB which it used to be.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 21 March 2018 - 08:55 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Ion Maiden is now available for purchase on GOG.

https://www.gog.com/

https://www.gog.com/game/ion_maiden

User is offline   Khallos 

View Postbrullov, on 21 March 2018 - 08:10 AM, said:

Posted Image

Reminds me of Blown Fuses. How much of that is actual playable space?

User is offline   NNC 

I don't like that screen. They shouldn't go into the direction of overdetailing.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostNancsi, on 21 March 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

I don't like that screen. They shouldn't go into the direction of overdetailing.

Agree. It looks too busy for a playable area.

The texturing could use some help & the transition from single stone pathway, to double cement pad, to wood pier looks kinda bad.
As well as the strong, prominent orange glow from the street lamp up top while the sky is still day-time blue.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Interesting. That's an older WIP shot that wasn't included in our press materials...

Looks quite different now.

User is offline   MetHy 

Think about DN3D press screenshots, hell even the screenshots that made it to the back of the box (which are often the same)

Spoiler

Now think about these same areas/weapons/enemies in the final game, that is if they even exist.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 21 March 2018 - 12:23 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Wow, you guys are being super-harsh on that screen. The criticisms aren't wrong, but overall it still looks pretty damned good. Ever heard of praise-correct-praise? I guess that's just for pussies, though. Maybe I've been corrupted by my nicey-nice work environment.

Anyway, the transition from stone pathway to the wooden pier is obviously because someone in the game world tacked on the pier...these things do happen. I'm not sure why we can't have things in games that look kind of ugly, to reflect the ugliness in the real world. I would agree that either the scene should be at night if those lights are so prominent, or if it's going to be daytime then lose the lights.

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostKhallos, on 21 March 2018 - 11:43 AM, said:

Reminds me of Blown Fuses. How much of that is actual playable space?

It was mostly inspired by It Lives, not Blown Fuses.

View PostForge, on 21 March 2018 - 11:55 AM, said:

Agree. It looks too busy for a playable area.

The texturing could use some help & the transition from single stone pathway, to double cement pad, to wood pier looks kinda bad.
As well as the strong, prominent orange glow from the street lamp up top while the sky is still day-time blue.

Kinda agree with the first one, maybe I would correct that texturing, but now I do not have such ability. Such dark blue is a day-time for you? For me it looks like evening.

View PostNancsi, on 21 March 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

There are no frames of detailing, believe me, I could put a lot more Posted Image

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 20 March 2018 - 07:34 PM, said:

My point is, I didn't notice the lack of a quick kick. I didn't miss it. I think the first time I played Ion Maiden I was all in Duke3D mode because that's really the only Build game I've been playing for years. But now I think Ion Maiden has settled itself in my mind as its own thing now and I'm not expecting Duke3D features from it anymore. If there ends up being some kind of quick melee option that'd be nice, but it won't be the worst thing in the world if it doesn't have it.

I disagree. I actually think this game would benefit a lot from the addition of a quick kick. I use it all the time in enemy rushes in Duke3D. A shotgun blast and a quick kick can take down a pigcop, that makes battles much easier if you're surrounded.

User is offline   Forge 

View Postbrullov, on 21 March 2018 - 12:33 PM, said:

Such dark blue is a day-time for you? For me it looks like evening.

Yes, daytime. Maybe not high-noon, but that depends on the weather.
It's also based off of the weakness, or lack of, shading on the cliff walls & crates and reeds in the water.
I only mentioned the light up top, the light down by the water in the crevice can be excusable. (a screenshot from down by it would provide a better perception)

They're only my opinions and observations. That location looks good in general, but could use some work.

This post has been edited by Forge: 21 March 2018 - 01:16 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJimmy, on 21 March 2018 - 12:47 PM, said:

I disagree. I actually think this game would benefit a lot from the addition of a quick kick. I use it all the time in enemy rushes in Duke3D. A shotgun blast and a quick kick can take down a pigcop, that makes battles much easier if you're surrounded.

There's no doubt that quick kick is useful in Duke 3D, but that doesn't mean it belongs in Ion Maiden. Every game is a little different with regard to which things it makes realistic and which things it doesn't. Ion Maiden is a bit more realistic than Duke when it comes to weapon handling. If you think about it, the idea that it would useful to do a front push kick on someone while simultaneously shooting them at point blank range is pretty silly. Either the kick or the shot would be compromised --probably both-- and the amount of damage from the kick would be trivial in comparison to the shot and not worth it. If you look at her one melee attack in Ion Maiden, it is a _powered_ baton type weapon. This signals that they are going for realistic amounts of damage. Presumably, a non-powered melee such as a kick would be relatively ineffective.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Dude its a fucking video game with zombie robot alien spiders.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJimmy, on 21 March 2018 - 02:46 PM, said:

Dude its a fucking video game with zombie robot alien spiders.

I know, but like I just said: "Every game is a little different with regard to which things it makes realistic and which things it doesn't. Ion Maiden is a bit more realistic than Duke when it comes to weapon handling." If you read my words you can tell I was actually thinking about how the game does some things realistically and others not.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 21 March 2018 - 02:44 PM, said:

There's no doubt that quick kick is useful in Duke 3D, but that doesn't mean it belongs in Ion Maiden. Every game is a little different with regard to which things it makes realistic and which things it doesn't. Ion Maiden is a bit more realistic than Duke when it comes to weapon handling. If you think about it, the idea that it would useful to do a front push kick on someone while simultaneously shooting them at point blank range is pretty silly. Either the kick or the shot would be compromised --probably both-- and the amount of damage from the kick would be trivial in comparison to the shot and not worth it. If you look at her one melee attack in Ion Maiden, it is a _powered_ baton type weapon. This signals that they are going for realistic amounts of damage. Presumably, a non-powered melee such as a kick would be relatively ineffective.

Not really. If you play the Bombardier Trial, you need to use a bomb to smash a grate.
If your level contains objects like, grates, bottles and so on, there should be a kick or a heavy fist around.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Bingo. It isn't needed in games like Doom or even Powerslave, but in games like Shadow Warrior or Blood it does feel like a missing feature.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJimmy, on 21 March 2018 - 03:25 PM, said:

Bingo. It isn't needed in games like Doom or even Powerslave, but in games like Shadow Warrior or Blood it does feel like a missing feature.

Fair enough, but it would be reasonable to prohibit the player from using quick melee while simultaneously firing a gun.

My guess is they are lacking the sprites for it right now.

User is offline   Forge 

it's also tedious to manually switch to baton & back when smashing trash cans,

Quick jab
held weapon drops off screen, (non-energized) baton stabs out

This post has been edited by Forge: 21 March 2018 - 03:30 PM

User is offline   VGA 

Does anyone else feel that the baton has an irritating delay after the animation of the first 3 swings? This has gotten me killed a few times. (I had to use the baton because I ran out of bullets, plz give bullets to the people)

• The Sarien Encounter

You ran out of bullets? I was swimming in ammo. In fact, after finishing off the level and looking for secrets there were still tons of drops all around.

Unless you were playing on hard or something.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 21 March 2018 - 04:04 PM, said:

You ran out of bullets? I was swimming in ammo. In fact, after finishing off the level and looking for secrets there were still tons of drops all around.

Unless you were playing on hard or something.

Play style may vary.
For example:
If you stay on the beaten path & don't explore, you'll end up dropping out of the ventilation shaft and leaving the garage section with the loverboy, a bit of ammo, & maybe a couple rolling-bombs.
You'll completely miss the other two weapons & a fair amount of ammo.
Just having a second projectile weapon alone makes a huge difference,

This post has been edited by Forge: 21 March 2018 - 04:44 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Yeah I ended the game with a good amount of ammo for every weapon and 9 health packs. Although I had a complete 100% run through of the game.

One low-res screenshot is not enough for me to pass any judgment.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostTrooper Dan, on 21 March 2018 - 12:23 PM, said:

Ever heard of praise-correct-praise?

The compliment sandwich.

User is offline   Malgon 

View PostHendricks266, on 21 March 2018 - 09:10 AM, said:

Ion Maiden is now available for purchase on GOG.

https://www.gog.com/

https://www.gog.com/game/ion_maiden

I was hoping that it was going to release on GOG soon. Just purchased it of course!

User is offline   NNC 

View Postbrullov, on 21 March 2018 - 12:33 PM, said:

It was mostly inspired by It Lives, not Blown Fuses.

Kinda agree with the first one, maybe I would correct that texturing, but now I do not have such ability. Such dark blue is a day-time for you? For me it looks like evening.

There are no frames of detailing, believe me, I could put a lot more Posted Image

Are you the 4th mapper (Vitaliy Bondarenko) by any chance?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostNancsi, on 21 March 2018 - 11:27 PM, said:

Are you the 4th mapper (Vitaliy Bondarenko) by any chance?

No, Vitaliy is DNV.

Share this topic:

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options