• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

User is offline   Loke 

View PostZaxx, on 11 March 2018 - 06:29 AM, said:

Armor shards just got a lot more visible in the beta patch. Performance seems a bit better too along with much smoother mouse movement. Nice!

Yup, can confirm. Mouse movement feels great now, very smooth.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

@Micky. Maybe they can invest time and money in polymer once the full Ion Maden is released, using an EDuke32 2.0 aka Polymer sounds like a logical step for the next game. Maybe they can even contract Icecoldduke to do the job. Just speculations.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

beta patch.

How does one get this patch if they own the drm-free version?

There's no updated version at the 3dr site & the maiden.cfg file has checkforupdates set to "1", but the game doesn't check for updates at launch. It doesn't make an attempt to call home & look, according to the log file.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostForge, on 11 March 2018 - 08:17 AM, said:

There's no updated version at the 3dr site & the maiden.cfg file has checkforupdates set to "1", but the game doesn't check for updates at launch. It doesn't make an attempt to call home & look, according to the log file.

Does this also apply to the Bombshell bonus download?

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostForge, on 11 March 2018 - 08:17 AM, said:

My guess is that it's only there in the Steam version because Steam has a beta feature (in the case of Ion Maiden you just go to properties --> betas and select the branch that's called "testing" from the beta menu) so it was easy to just put it up there.

View PostBloodshot, on 10 March 2018 - 11:50 PM, said:

Posted Image

Finding this reference has elevated my opinion of the preview campaign from really good to great

Posted Image

I was already in love with the game long before I found this. But, it made me just much happier to be playing the game.

User is offline   Hawke 

I'm a little late and don't have anything new to add. Nonetheless I have to say fantastic work, the whole thing was great start to finish. Can't wait to see more.

User is offline   Sanek 

IM: Preview Campaign Update 1 is LIVE!

They fixed a big number of issues, which is great!
Also, the save format version has been bumped, meaning your old saves will no longer work.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Now can please someone poke the 3DR guys to update the preview campaign when downloading from their game library, too? I don't like to feel punished for not having bought this on Steam... :)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 12 March 2018 - 07:12 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNightFright, on 12 March 2018 - 07:11 AM, said:

Now can please someone poke the 3DR guys to update the preview campaign when downloading from their game library, too? I don't like to feel punished for not having bought this on Steam... :)

I remember that one of the patches for ROTT 2013 was so late on GOG that after a few weeks of waiting and not playing (I got a game breaking bug that was fixed in the newer version) I just wrote an e-mail to their support asking for a Steam key (and they sent me one without even asking for some proof of purchase of my GOG copy so at least they are nice B)). Stuff like this happens when it comes to games from smaller developers so if it's not an old game I say buy it from Steam and save yourself the trouble.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 12 March 2018 - 07:42 AM

• The Truth is in here

If I can prove my purchase from 3DR to some of the IM devs, can I get a Steam key for free maybe? :)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 12 March 2018 - 07:57 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNightFright, on 12 March 2018 - 07:57 AM, said:

If I can prove my purchase from 3DR to some of the IM devs, can I get a Steam key for free maybe? :)

I'd say it's worth a try though ROTT 2013's support stuff was handled by that crazy dude Dave Oshry, normal people may be more strict. B)

User is offline   Forge 

Hank is asking about the update at the 3dr forum. No response yet.

I'm glad that a larger portion of the funds from my purchase went to support the voidpoint team, but 3dr is moving at the speed of smell.
I'm more than happy with my purchase, but I'm starting to get buyers remorse about where I made said purchase.

Nothing like being three steps behind everyone.
Ah well.
I hope the update, when it comes, includes the the actual "checkforupdates" portion of the executable.

• The Truth is in here

Tbh I never figured out what the same function was supposed to do in EDuke32. It never pointed me to a newer snapshot.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

I wondered, why didn't they use the voxel rendering like in Shadow Warrior ?

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View Postgemeaux333, on 12 March 2018 - 10:51 AM, said:

I wondered, why didn't they use the voxel rendering like in Shadow Warrior ?

Guess they just figured using higher resolution sprites would give better results than using voxels.

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

If I remember correctly, we didn't have any qualified applicants with voxel skills. Unlike sprites and 3D modeling, the talent pool for voxel design is small enough as it is.

• The Truth is in here

I wouldn't be too surprised if a voxel pack will be made by community members eventually.

User is offline   cybdmn 

View PostHendricks266, on 12 March 2018 - 10:58 AM, said:

If I remember correctly, we didn't have any qualified applicants with voxel skills. Unlike sprites and 3D modeling, the talent pool for voxel design is small enough as it is.

To be honest, i found the voxel pickups in SW and Blood rather ugly. The only needful usage where the locks and switches in SW, where the voxels add much to the visibility.
I wouldn't mix the great pixelart in IM with voxels. Just my two cents.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View Postcybdmn, on 12 March 2018 - 11:58 AM, said:

To be honest, i found the voxel pickups in SW and Blood rather ugly. The only needful usage where the locks and switches in SW, where the voxels add much to the visibility.

Yeah, I agree: I like the voxels in the old Build games very much, I just think that here the sprites look so much nicer that voxels would look worse. You don't need voxels for switches here either as they are nicely animated instead of just having two states. Sure, they don't bump up from the environment but that's not something hugely important.

User is offline   axl 

View Postcybdmn, on 12 March 2018 - 11:58 AM, said:

I kinda like voxels. But only if they're not overused. The rotating sawed-off shotgun or tommygun in Blood look awesome for example.

Anyway, I just tested the beta through steam: performance is a lot better, mouse is way smoother and the armor upgrades are far better ! Keep up the good work !

This post has been edited by axl: 12 March 2018 - 12:27 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 12 March 2018 - 09:03 AM, said:

Hank is asking about the update at the 3dr forum. No response yet.

I'm glad that a larger portion of the funds from my purchase went to support the voidpoint team, but 3dr is moving at the speed of smell.

Same

• The Truth is in here

I intended to replay IM with every update, but it's kinda hard if I can't get my hands on the latest version.

De profundis clamo ad te, 3D Realms!

User is offline   Lunick 

Steam is always going to be fastest because Voidpoint have the ability to upload builds themselves, either to the public branch or to testing branches. Any DRM-Free builds are sent off to 3D Realms to upload to their store and GOG.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Btw. why was the 144 fps option for the frame limiter removed? The game needs more of those options, not less. :)

Anyway there is something weird going on with that feature: usually when I don't hit the limit (for example I set it to 120 and get something like 105-110) and I turn off the frame limiter my framerate goes through the roof to something like 150-250 indicating that the limiter is buggy. In the subway the limiter just locks me to 90 and once I disable it I play with 300-400 fps, what's up with that?

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostZaxx, on 12 March 2018 - 03:07 PM, said:

Btw. why was the 144 fps option for the frame limiter removed? The game needs more of those options, not less. :)

Because the engine runs at a 120 Hz tickrate and limiting in uneven intervals will harm performance.

User is offline   Hank 

cut
I'm more than happy with my purchase, but I'm starting to get buyers remorse about where I made said purchase.

cut

Please don’t.
I for one got it through 3D Realms because of it being DRM free.
The game is a, and will be a winner; methinks. Current poor PR work at their (3DR) forums, or slow response on their website won't change that.

Look at it at the bright side:
First update was 9 Mar, and there is another one on Steam, today, 12 Mar.
Obviously, Voidpoint is working their butts off. Eventually, even the publishers will have to follow suit with that pace on their own website, or loose what little reputation their have :)

User is offline   Forge 

3dr is moving at the speed of smell.

just to be clear ^this is what I'm concerned about.

I know I'm going to get a full version copy some day (probably a week after it's released on steam).

I'm merely wondering if 3dr is even going to bother posting updates. It's been 16 hours and they still haven't bothered to reply to the query about it.

With this kind of customer service, I hope they don't host the server if this game has multi-player.

User is offline   cybdmn 

3DR should get their butts up. It can‘t be a big deal uploading a patched version of the game. I mean, at least it is more or less „their“ game, they havn‘t to deal with release processes from third parties on their own website.
It is not like releasing this on Apples AppStore or Googles Playstore.

User is offline   Lunick 

It's available now :)

Share this topic:

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options