Duke4.net Forums: Ion Fury - Duke4.net Forums

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

User is offline   Loke 

I think the strongest aspect of the game is its level design. It pretty much nails the open-ended non-linear maps seen from games such as Doom and Duke Nukem 3D which seriously increases the replay value.

I haven't been this hyped for a game since HL2: Episode Two to be honest.

User is offline   necroslut 

cybdmn, on 04 March 2018 - 03:12 AM, said:

Insta-bought on 3DR website, but for i had no access to a windows machine, i had to wait for the weekend. Yesterday i installed it on my company laptop, which unfortunately have just an intel graphics card, so i had to stick with the software mode. It is an older Dell Latitude with an i7 and 8 gigs of ram. Aside from the autosave slowdowns, i had no framerate dropdowns, so these seem to be opengl only.

The developers did an incredible job in creating this 96/97 feeling, pure nostalgia. The maps are well crafted, and pull every trick build is capable. the game has so far nice non-linear map designs, without real dead ends, or mazes where you easy lost your orientation. Well done.

There are of course room for improvement, at least in my opinion.

- The music is far to generic and repetive. I hoped for some midi tunes, like in the 90ies. I miss these Bobby Prince/Lee Jackson kind of classics. These kind of tracks, which burns into your head.

- As others stated here, the enemies and items blend too much into the background.

- Many of the sound fx are superb, i really love the sound when the bullets hit metal. But others, like the weapon sounds need to sound punchier, if you ask me.

- To much reloading for my taste. A fact which i dislike in other build engine games too. All these reloading stops the flow, and often you get hit, because your weapon reloads in the wrong moment. This even make crowd control more or less impossible. At least the reload should go faster.

- The enemies need more variation. At least the gun wielding guys seems to be the same, with only more firepower and health.

- The same is applicable for the firearms too. The bombs on the other side are great, with the ability to cook them, these are outstanding, and above every handgrenade like weapons in every build game.

I don't find the reloading to be much of a problem, here or in other Build games; you just have to keep in mind how much you got left and duck out for a moment to reload. Though it's a bit of a hassle not being able to cancel reloading to switch to a different gun.

Never had much a problem with spotting the pickups myself, only the enemies kinda blend together.

User is offline   X-Vector 

Forge, on 03 March 2018 - 11:08 AM, said:

You don't know how demos and teasers work, do you?

Well, I can tell from playing quite a few demos in my time (some of them even as far back as the 1990s) that this in fact isn't one.
The whole point of a computer game demo is to offer an opportunity to "try before you buy"; the only early access title that I can think of right now that fits that bill is Black Mesa and that's not altogether coincidentally also the only early access title that I've sunk funds into thus far.

Perhaps Voidpoint will release what is traditionally thought of as a demo in the future, but there isn't one at the moment.

User is offline   Player Lin 

necroslut, on 04 March 2018 - 03:42 AM, said:

I don't find the reloading to be much of a problem, here or in other Build games; you just have to keep in mind how much you got left and duck out for a moment to reload. Though it's a bit of a hassle not being able to cancel reloading to switch to a different gun.

While reloading gun may or may not problem, I hope the HUD maybe can tell me how many ammo left in the gun, to let me know should I reload Shelly's gun or not, I keep found I have to force reloading the gun in hot-battling and sometimes it caused my Shelly get killed, which isn't good...and yeah, cancel reloading to switch other weapons maybe good idea too.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

X-Vector, on 04 March 2018 - 05:01 AM, said:

Perhaps Voidpoint will release what is traditionally thought of as a demo in the future, but there isn't one at the moment.

Please, how is this not a demo?

Commando Nukem, on 04 March 2018 - 05:48 AM, said:

Please, how is this not a demo?

I guess because it's not publicly to get for free? :)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 04 March 2018 - 05:56 AM

User is offline   X-Vector 

Player Lin, on 04 March 2018 - 05:55 AM, said:

I guess because it's not publicly to get for free? :)

Of course; I don't understand what's not to understand here.
Ion Maiden currently is a low content early access title and as such could actually be considered something of an antithesis of the shareware concept of the '90s games it is inspired by.

X-Vector, on 04 March 2018 - 06:14 AM, said:

Of course; I don't understand what's not to understand here.
Ion Maiden currently is a low content early access title and as such could actually be considered something of an antithesis of the shareware concept of the '90s games it is inspired by.

You can make a 90s styled game, but 90s business models have come and gone. I've seen a few people mention the demo/shareware aspect of it, but it's really apples and oranges at this point. I rarely see demos these days, what we get now are "betas" and server stress tests.

User is offline   necroslut 

Player Lin, on 04 March 2018 - 05:03 AM, said:

While reloading gun may or may not problem, I hope the HUD maybe can tell me how many ammo left in the gun, to let me know should I reload Shelly's gun or not, I keep found I have to force reloading the gun in hot-battling and sometimes it caused my Shelly get killed, which isn't good...and yeah, cancel reloading to switch other weapons maybe good idea too.

I disagree - I hope they don't add a magazine counter. You just have to count your shots to know when it's about time to duck away. But being able to switch weapons mid-reload would mace "accidental" reloads much less dangerous.

necroslut, on 04 March 2018 - 06:53 AM, said:

I disagree - I hope they don't add a magazine counter. You just have to count your shots to know when it's about time to duck away. But being able to switch weapons mid-reload would mace "accidental" reloads much less dangerous.

Well, I'm totally fine if no magazine counter, it's not really big deal as I already played a lot of those games. :) But cancels the reloading to prevent "accidental reloads" should be nice, friendly feature.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

I enjoy the reload aspect of the weapons. It adds a little extra challenge to combat. Keep track of your ammo, switch weapons before a reload, take cover when a reload is coming up.
I make a habit of tapping the reload key after every weapon fire or combat engagement. Even if I only shot one enemy.

Also consider that we haven't seen all the weapons yet - just the main three bullet projectile ones, the baton, & bowling bombs.
I nailed the fire button as soon as I picked up that gatling gun, it doesn't appear to need a 'reload'. Looks like it'll fire until you're out of rounds.

This post has been edited by Forge: 04 March 2018 - 07:39 AM

User is offline   Sanek 

cosmonautcowboy, on 04 March 2018 - 06:44 AM, said:

You can make a 90s styled game, but 90s business models have come and gone. I've seen a few people mention the demo/shareware aspect of it, but it's really apples and oranges at this point. I rarely see demos these days, what we get now are "betas" and server stress tests.

It would be a free demo if they worked for free...however, with a publisher and all kinds of promotional/distributional costs they've got to make it commercial already.
Besides, by bying the game in early access we'll fund it's development, and the developers can work on the game and eat at the same time. :)

User is offline   petrus 

Will there be some sort of quick melee attack in the final release, perhaps a well heeled mighty kick?

I think a cool quick melee would be like a quick strike with the butt end of her baton in the off hand. Of course that would probably cause issue with reloading animations and weapons that are held in two hands, like the mini gun. IMO a mighty boot would be a very on the nose Duke inspiration- making it seem more like Ion Maiden is a TC of that game rather than a build game of its own. I do personally long for the functionality of the quick boot, but I can see where there would be reservations about its implementation.

• Judge Mental

KaijuTurtle, on 04 March 2018 - 07:53 AM, said:

I think a cool quick melee would be like a quick strike with the butt end of her baton in the off hand. Of course that would probably cause issue with reloading animations and weapons that are held in two hands, like the mini gun. IMO a mighty boot would be a very on the nose Duke inspiration- making it seem more like Ion Maiden is a TC of that game rather than a build game of its own. I do personally long for the functionality of the quick boot, but I can see where there would be reservations about its implementation.

It would have to be animated quick, but having the current weapon drop off screen, the baton swipe left-to-right, and the weapon come back up would be the ideal way to avoid visual issues with the hands. (avoiding three arm syndrome, etc..)

User is offline   Poorchop 

Sanek, on 04 March 2018 - 07:44 AM, said:

Besides, by bying the game in early access we'll fund it's development, and the developers can work on the game and eat at the same time. :)

Why does the cost of development need to be offloaded to consumers before the game is complete? I was initially under the impression that this was just a community project and while the guys are working on this in their spare time, 3DR is publishing the game and it's the job of the publisher to put up the money for development.

I don't think that early access is ever okay but one can make a case for it when it comes to indie titles, especially ones that are being made by one or two people. They certainly didn't have to follow some archaic business model and put a third of the game out as shareware but it should've been put up for sale when it was complete. Don't get me wrong, I like the guys who are making this game and from what I've seen, it looks pretty damn good. I was really stoked about it but a publisher like 3DR putting a game out in early access really sours my attitude towards it. I don't hold it against the developers though as I plan on picking up a copy when the game is finished.

User is offline   NNC 

OK, I purchased the game and here are my impressions:

I wasn't worried about the perf issues comments because I wanted to play in classic style as I always play. But the game got slow and lagged many times even in classic mode. That should be fixed for the better. After all, it's a game based on a two decade old engine.

The presentation is very good, I'm impressed how the game started and the menu and all of the options. I also liked the auto-save points. CREDITS ARE NOT THERE THOUGH!!!! I hope we get full credits in the final version who were the mapmakers, the musicians, the artists etc. I bet DavoX created all the map zone in this preview.

The cyberpunk theme is excellent. Also the new graphics were mostly impressive, with an exception of few minor sprites maybe which looked a bit blurred (like staplers and teapots etc), but nothing to complain about, even if they stay this way, I will be happy with the graphics.

I really enjoyed the music as well, although I hope for a "legendary" soundtrack like Grabbag or Stalker in the final version.

As for the leveldesign I absolutely loved the outside areas with the beautiful skyboxes, the broken bridges and others. The preboss area was goosebump with the horns and the rain, although a more advanced rain sound would have helped (like in It's impossible). Davox approach is obvious like his diagonal shaped columns etc. I loved his Born to be wild Duke map, but wasn't a fan of his Stadium. It's quite a flashy style that works very well most of the time, particularly in outside levels, but less so in the inside.

With that said, the inside office block with the red/yellow key was a bit confusing for a commercial game, but not that bad, at least for us, who play Duke user maps for decades. But maybe for new players. DavoX style is not shining as well inside as in outside, but still very good.

I have found only 9 secrets in the two maps combined (out of 40 or whatever?). I was so proud when I found the "cops are pigs" part with the ladders. It seems many secrets relied on platforming, I love the way the game uses secrets and easter eggs. That's so 90s at it's best.

The monsters might be rather generic for some, but I don't blame anyone for that. This is still the preview, and for two levels we don't need more monsters. After all, they are cyborgs, not pigs or octopuses or cacodemons with distinct look. What is awesome that they fire projectiles instead of stupid hitscan.

The weapons are mixed. The shotgun and the chaingun (forgot their names, sorry) look amazing and do their backbone combat job well. The bowling grenade is one of the best weapons I have played, works fantastic. The electrocuter could be good, but only effective in 1-1 combats, and I don't like tapping it. The combo should work where you press the button longer, not tap more. The same goes for the "loverboy". Why tapping instead of standard pressing? I just don't really get it what was the purpose? This might be my biggest gripe with the gamplay.

The HUD should be better. I had very little information what ammo I have. Also the ammo sprites are too small, and hard to look at them. They should have a more distinct look.

I think this game is to be played without autoaim, although quite frankly I prefer playing with it. I think autoaim should be applied to pushing keycards and buttons. I actually had troubles with the first key because I thought I grabbed a different key and Shelly didn't react well when I pushed that wall.

Overall, an impressive start, I hope for a truly kicker full version. I hope for some distinct and memorable levels in the final game. Maybe some levels outside the city.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Forge, on 04 March 2018 - 07:37 AM, said:

I enjoy the reload aspect of the weapons. It adds a little extra challenge to combat. Keep track of your ammo, switch weapons before a reload, take cover when a reload is coming up.
I make a habit of tapping the reload key after every weapon fire or combat engagement. Even if I only shot one enemy.

Yeah I don't think everyone noticed that there is already a reload key.

Also agree on there being no need for a clip counter in the hud. It's one of those hand-holding features that we expect in a game but which isn't needed and actually removes a little gameplay. It would make sense in a more futuristic game if the counter were right on the weapon itself.

Great great game so far, really enjoyed this preview. Loved the easter egg of our ol' fav before the last boss fight too. That's the only easter egg I found though, did find a bunch of the secrets, missed many also. Really impressive level design, combat, art, the voice acting, good job! :)

Loke, on 04 March 2018 - 03:21 AM, said:

I think the strongest aspect of the game is its level design. It pretty much nails the open-ended non-linear maps seen from games such as Doom and Duke Nukem 3D which seriously increases the replay value.

I haven't been this hyped for a game since HL2: Episode Two to be honest.

Agreed these levels are top notch. I think these are linear levels, and this style of linear level design is terrific, and missing in games today. I know what you mean, the levels are a lot more open and interesting than the boring walk in a straight line "on rails" CoD style of level design. So it's more non-linear in comparison to a lot of action games, but I myself do like that it is still linear, guiding you on where you need to go, one objective at a time so far, not huge levels, but part of the magic is making it feel less linear than it is. And you mention HL2, which is very linear, more so than the 90s games, also a great game.

The thing is these days huge open world games are the norm, like Far Cry etc, with lots of copy and paste locations and huge go anywhere worlds. Open world action games can be great, but I miss this style of level design and game design overall, which oddly enough is very linear compared to today's open games. So I think maybe linear shouldn't be considered a bad word to oldschool FPS fans anymore I guess is my point, the charming Duke 3D style levels with a few small locations to explore are my fav. And it's for sure less linear than "on rails" games, but it's a lot more linear than some other popular games, and that's very much a good thing, I like linear when done right. (bit of a side ramble from me there)

Back to Ion Maiden, really loved it, lot of fun. I'd like more voice lines, hope the full version does have some story scenes a few times like Duke 3D, whether via static images (comic book cutscenes) or animated, whatever works. Those are fun. My fav thing about the game is it has great atmosphere, the levels really draw you in, and it's fun.

On the full game, with the mention of hub connected big levels etc, if they're intended to be bigger or more open than what we have here, maybe with multiple objectives to do in any order, I hope it's communicated to the player well. I think part of the challenge would be to keep it from being confusing, since these levels we loved back then were usually quite small. And not everybody has played tons of huge user maps like we have, I think people getting lost and quitting is probably the #1 thing to look out for. That said, I know we don't want full on hand holding, but if for example you enter a level where you do have multiple keys to find at once in any order, would be good for Bombshell to say something etc. And depending on how intricate the hub stuff gets, may even need an objectives screen or something like that. That said, go for broke, I can and will wander around a level for 40 minutes if need be, I've done it plenty of times before, but I know it could get confusing for some players, even oldschool FPS fans.

But this is all hypothetical speculation, what we have here is not confusing, and is very well done. And I look forward to whatever the full game is, even if it's a racing RPG! I already bought it, it could be anything. B)

(tl:dr, I tried to edit this post down, it's rambling, but I loved playing this! Good luck on the development, looking forward to the full release.)

Also, I'd like trash cans to be destroyed with one baton hit. And a slightly faster shotgun firing rate. Loved the music too by the way, the second level's funky tune was great. And incredible art, and again, great level design. The revolver feels great. This post is like the movie Memento, it's out of order and backwards, I haven't had any coffee yet!

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 04 March 2018 - 12:44 PM

User is offline   Sanek 

Poorchop, on 04 March 2018 - 12:16 PM, said:

Why does the cost of development need to be offloaded to consumers before the game is complete? I was initially under the impression that this was just a community project and while the guys are working on this in their spare time, 3DR is publishing the game and it's the job of the publisher to put up the money for development.

Voidpoint is not owned by 3DRealms, it's a seperate entity so the people actually working on the game needs to be payed some way or another. Early Access is the perfect mode for indie developers,as they can get some money way before the release of the game.

Poorchop, on 04 March 2018 - 12:16 PM, said:

I was really stoked about it but a publisher like 3DR putting a game out in early access really sours my attitude towards it. I don't hold it against the developers though as I plan on picking up a copy when the game is finished.

3DRealms is not a big publisher of any kind. It's reputation was ruined because of DNF. They're still selling old games they own, as well as new titles once in while, but I don't think they have billions of dollars to invest into the game.

Sanek, on 04 March 2018 - 12:45 PM, said:

3DRealms is not a big publisher of any kind. It's reputation was ruined because of DNF. They're still selling old games they own, as well as new titles once in while, but I don't think they have billions of dollars to invest into the game.

I guess 3DR not developing games and letting the DNF team go years ago etc was more of a financial thing than a reputation thing. I don't think they'd stop making or publishing games because of reputation.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 04 March 2018 - 12:57 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Interestingly, my playthrough video of Ion Maiden is categorized under the game "Strafe" for some reason. I have no idea why. I've tried change the category and it doesn't work. Ion Maiden is not yet an option under YouTube advanced category settings.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Nancsi, on 04 March 2018 - 12:32 PM, said:

With that said, the inside office block with the red/yellow key was a bit confusing for a commercial game, but not that bad, at least for us, who play Duke user maps for decades. But maybe for new players. DavoX style is not shining as well inside as in outside, but still very good.

I think it's fair to disclose map credits at this point to avoid confusion :)
gdf base / streets / boss = davox
office building = me
basement = vitaliy
subway = daedolon

As for red/yellow key, it might seem confusing but the whole office section is just one big loop with alternate routes that change the direction/order you can do it in, you can't really miss those unless you purposefully backtrack to the basement.
Yellow key is pretty well communicated with VO/monitor and the screen, Just intentionally more non-linear and meant to throw you off a little B)

Oh yeah, thanks for the kind comments everyone!
We are actively reading everything here and checking the feedback.

• Judge Mental

oasiz, on 04 March 2018 - 01:34 PM, said:

Oh yeah, thanks for the kind comments everyone!
We are actively reading everything here and checking the feedback.

How big is the team? How many mappers?

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Posted Image

Available in HELP menu, 2nd page

User is offline   Poorchop 

Sanek, on 04 March 2018 - 12:45 PM, said:

Voidpoint is not owned by 3DRealms, it's a seperate entity so the people actually working on the game needs to be payed some way or another.

That is the entire point of a publisher. Wolfenstein 3D was developed by id, an entirely separate entity from 3DR. Yet 3DR provided the funding so that the game could get made. The publisher then recovers their investment via sales of the game. Even if we were to disregard the publisher, the developers would still get paid once they released a finished product and put that up for sale.

User is offline   NNC 

oasiz, on 04 March 2018 - 01:48 PM, said:

Posted Image

Wow, I didn't notice this, thank you.

• Judge Mental

So i'm not sure if this one has been answered before. On the end screen it says there are seven of these... Sections. Are they all going to be about roughly the same size as what we got with this first section or are there some that are much bigger?

Short and sweet is good by me, as much as they can fit in with this high quality works, good question though. And since that's planned to be out later this year, then we could speculate on what's next? :) Gotta keep the speculation train going.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 04 March 2018 - 06:22 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

oasiz, on 04 March 2018 - 01:34 PM, said:

I think it's fair to disclose map credits at this point to avoid confusion :)
gdf base / streets / boss = davox
office building = me
basement = vitaliy
subway = daedolon

Knew it. Didn't know about the other two.

Btw thanks for considering feedback and putting up with everyone's two cents.

oasiz, on 04 March 2018 - 01:48 PM, said:

Those mapping names mean nothing to us, stick to forum alias Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options