• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostDoom64hunter, on 02 March 2018 - 09:14 AM, said:

The Bombshell series is probably the first where the mediocre sequel was the first game to be released :)

The legitimate 90s game experience.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostDacoolguy, on 02 March 2018 - 07:58 AM, said:

Shelly's face seems familiar, too familiar...
Aww wait :)
I wonder what Cara Delevigne thinks about Shelly's face and the money being made based on her likeness.
If she would ever be informed, I bet there could be a case here B)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Gotta admit, I don't see it.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Yeah, we did not mention any likenesses to the artist we commissioned. I think this is a coincidence.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 02 March 2018 - 11:10 AM, said:

Gotta admit, I don't see it.

Her face is exactly the same. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with using the actress as inspiration, I'm not even saying it couldn't be a coincidence. But if someone can't see the resemblance then they probably don't recognize their own girlfriend after she gets a haircut or changes her makeup.

• The Sarien Encounter

No. I don't agree it's exactly the same at all. I do not see it. Her eyes are far bigger for starters. I'd even argue eye placement and nose proportion are off as well. She doesn't look anything like her beyond being a slim-looking female with somewhat darkish/thickish eyebrows. I can't see her making that exact same facial expression as Shelly.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 02 March 2018 - 12:47 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHendricks266, on 02 March 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

Yeah, we did not mention any likenesses to the artist we commissioned. I think this is a coincidence.

Artists use photo references all the time without being told to. It's completely fine, though, if that happened. Using a photo as a reference or inspiration is completely legal and normal. If the artist had actually traced over the movie pics that would be different, but that's obviously not the case. The likeness is there, but since it's just a similarity of facial features there's no problem.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

the mouse is going to sue
Posted Image

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I don't see the likeness at all. She looks like a brunette with a pissed off face and there's been PLENTY of those before Devilin or whatever was even born.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I played about 20 minutes of it after buying it off the 3D Realms website and I gotta say the game is fantastic, took me back to the good ol days. Really liked the music.
Although I was disappointed when I pushed Q and there was no Mighty Boot, seriously though, some quick melee should be added in cause I was pushing Q so much.

What oneliners I heard from Shelly did nothing for me, so far she sucks.

A quick melee would be very helpful especially in the grenade only mode where it's damn near impossible to blow up vents

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostHulkNukem, on 02 March 2018 - 02:15 PM, said:

A quick melee would be very helpful especially in the grenade only mode where it's damn near impossible to blow up vents

I agree a (very weak?) quick melee would be useful. I missed the quick kick while playing.

Btw, is it just me or does the "Ion Maiden" text not stand out much from the background, which makes it hard to read when scrolling through a list of small images, possibly affecting number of sales to a small degree. Perhaps a small orange trim around the letters would help it stand out in this case.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Micky C: 02 March 2018 - 02:22 PM

User is offline   NY00123 

So, I've gotten to try this out. First, by completing under "Wanton Carnage" difficulty; And currently, by replaying under "Ultra Viscera" difficulty in "Bombardier Trial" mode, while trying to find the remaining secrets.

I kinda figured out how is this going to be, from a few snippets (e.g., screenshots) shown during the last ~2.5 years.

Nevertheless, after playing this, I must say to all of the involved developers:

*Very* great job!!

You see, this is a game based on the Build engine, and you may clearly feel it (assuming you're sufficiently familiar with another Build-based game).
The thing is, the art is highly detailed, and so are the maps, which are also, clearly, far from being small.
And then there's all the rest: Examples are the music, the sound effects and the gameplay-related features (e.g., the bowling balls; If you haven't used enough of these, good chances are "Bombardier Trial" mode will make you learn how to).

To anybody still considering, I say: Check it out! (Assuming your hardware can run it in an acceptable manner, of course.)

POST EDIT - Here's a short video of mine for reference (I surely had at least a few difficulties with the "Ultra Viscera" + "Bombardier Trial" combo in the beginning):

This post has been edited by NY00123: 02 March 2018 - 03:23 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostMicky C, on 02 March 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

I agree a (very weak?) quick melee would be useful. I missed the quick kick while playing.

I almost say this but then...I don't want it to copy Duke outright. Did Shadow Warrior and Blood have a quick melee? I honestly don't remember...

Btw, is it just me or does the "Ion Maiden" text not stand out much from the background, which makes it hard to read when scrolling through a list of small images, possibly affecting number of sales to a small degree. Perhaps a small orange trim around the letters would help it stand out in this case.

Posted Image

Very good point and I agree. It's too busy. I mean, I don't want just a plain white on black logo like everything else nowadays, but for a small thumbnail like that, a little simplicity would work better. Maybe just without all the electricity etc around the words and relax the metal/chrome sheen/reflect effect.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 02 March 2018 - 03:05 PM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Well, even changing the tiny thumbnail image in that Steam list can have an impact on sales. Not that the game seems to need such kinda boost right now if it's really ranked like that. Anyway, couldn't hurt to read the title better.

Oh, and I am also giving a +1 for a return of the Mighty Boot. That's the second thing I missed besides alt-fire. Switching to that baton manually to preserve ammo just takes too long.

• The Sarien Encounter

I recorded some gameplay last night. Here's 30 minutes worth of edited footage. I missed 14 secrets in the first areas. And I felt like I found a lot of them. I love that it feels like there's so much content to discover and that there's still more to come for the same content later!

• Honored Donor

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 02 March 2018 - 03:02 PM, said:

I almost say this but then...I don't want it to copy Duke outright. Did Shadow Warrior and Blood have a quick melee? I honestly don't remember...

Shadow Warrior definitely doesn't (and I desperately miss it there too), IIRC Blood doesn't have it either.

I always thought that IM was imitating build games in general, as opposed to specifically Duke 3D. In that respect, there's nothing wrong with taking a very convenient feature from Duke since it's not by any means a 1:1 imitation. It doesn't event need to be a kick. Could be a punch, knee, elbow, head butt, melee weapon strike etc..

View PostNightFright, on 02 March 2018 - 03:04 PM, said:

Not that the game seems to need such kinda boost right now if it's really ranked like that.

Actually that screenshot was from the third page of the best seller list. It was on the first page before. Either way I'm sure they're making a nice profit. Wouldn't mind getting some rough figures at some point.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 02 March 2018 - 03:18 PM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Spoiler

Just got this, exciting week around here! Will rock the preview campaign soon! From the trailer the voice sounds good, and I like the itneractive toilet that was posted, legit.

• Honored Donor

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 02 March 2018 - 03:11 PM, said:

I recorded some gameplay last night. Here's 30 minutes worth of edited footage. I missed 14 secrets in the first areas. And I felt like I found a lot of them. I love that it feels like there's so much content to discover and that there's still more to come for the same content later!

Nice commentary, it helps relive the amazement of discovering new features for the first time. Speaking of which, I had no idea you could use the grates to move them, I've just been breaking them this whole time Posted Image It's like the game is more interactive on a regular basis than DNF.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostForge, on 28 February 2018 - 02:05 PM, said:

Didn't notice if it could be set, but it'd be nice to have the baton on a quick-fire button as well as having it bound to the the weapon 1 slot. I want to smack chairs and stuff out of my way real quick without having to switch weapons.

• Honored Donor

Didn't notice if it could be set, but it'd be nice to have the baton on a quick-fire button as well as having it bound to the the weapon 1 slot. I want to smack chairs and stuff out of my way real quick without having to switch weapons.

I'm sure people all over the internet have requested it pretty much immediately. But then again the baton's electrical ability makes it pretty OP as a quick kick-styled weapon since it stuns enemies. I suppose the charge could be reserved for its dedicated slot usage.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Quick melee has been talked about but nothing has been decided yet. However, you can press use to open vents without breaking them!

View PostTrooper Dan, on 02 March 2018 - 12:33 PM, said:

Her face is exactly the same.

Other than the eyes, nose and mouth having different shapes.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostTerminX, on 02 March 2018 - 03:57 PM, said:

However, you can press use to open vents without breaking them!

True.
But like I said, I want to smack chairs out of my way - as well as bash trashcans and other various breakable objects.

The destructible objects is one of the main reasons to have a quick-kick / quick-attack.
(Combat too, when up close & personal, but to a lesser extent of a reason.)

An 'uncharged' baton would do nicely. Less work to modify what you have instead of making a new graphic w/sequence.

Just an opinion.
If it doesn't get implemented, oh well.

This post has been edited by Forge: 02 March 2018 - 04:20 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postenderandrew, on 02 March 2018 - 04:05 PM, said:

Other than the eyes, nose and mouth having different shapes.

The main reason I don't think they look alike, honestly, is that I don't think that actress is particularly attractive while Shelly is certainly moreso.

View PostTerminX, on 02 March 2018 - 03:57 PM, said:

Quick melee has been talked about but nothing has been decided yet. However, you can press use to open vents without breaking them!

Well sunnofabitch, that would've saved me a lot of time earlier

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 02 March 2018 - 04:56 PM, said:

The main reason I don't think they look alike, honestly, is that I don't think that actress is particularly attractive while Shelly is certainly moreso.

On this actress versus animated character thing, I have Cool World on my shelf, a very highbrow film that tackles this issue candidly.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

If you need a new wallpaper, the key art is available in the press kit, and here is the menu background: http://voidpoint.com...u_wallpaper.png

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I have just started the second level and I'm very much enjoying the game so far. The art and level design are great, gameplay is solid. But I love to nitpick so I'll mention a few things before I forget:

-The EDuke32 keyboard setup is a pain in the butt to use. I notice this a lot because I'm left-handed, so I pretty much have to re-assign every single function before I play a game. There are two things that stand out as especially annoying. First, the setup comes with some keys already assigned in the right column (alternative key), and these often interfere with my desired layout, so I have to re-assign both columns. Second, it's very finicky and mysterious about where you need to click to initiate re-assignment in some cases. Do we really need to allow 2 different keyboard keys assigned to the same function? A lot of modern games don't have that. But beyond what I've mentioned, imo the gui of the keyboard setup needs to be completely overhauled.

-I wish that EDuke32 had better gamepad support. I would love to be able to plug in a xbox 360 controller and for it to just work with a sensible default layout etc. There are lots of console-centric gamers out there who do own PCs who would be more likely to play this and EDuke32 in general with better gamepad support (I know this would be a big hit in my household).

-As for Ion Maiden itself, so far it is great, as I said. I do wish that the meatier enemies (I'm thinking specifically of the guys with the red hoods who can take a lot of shots) had a stagger animation. I wouldn't even mind if they had I-frames, as long as they stumbled back after a big hit so that my weapons still felt powerful against them. I think it would be cool even if weaker enemies had stagger animations -- although this would probably require giving them more HP, because right now they die before they would even have a chance of getting stunned.

-I turned the music off after about 10 minutes because it got repetitive and then I really notice the soundscape. I like how there are different sound for just about everything but I think it's a bit excessive, or maybe certain sounds need to be changed. In particular, when I'm walking around there are a lot of crunchy little sounds such as when you bump into a chair or kick a skull. Sometimes I think I'm picking up ammo or armor shards when actually I'm just bumping into stuff.

I bought it and then refunded after I completed the incredibly short preview. I beat it in an hour, discovered roughly half the secrets in each level, and died only twice on normal difficulty.

Level design in level's 2 and 3 is fine but a little cryptic. It can trick you to looping back to the start of the level.

There's too many secrets that don't amount to much. It would be cool if some of the secrets lead to secret levels and shit. In the first level when I jumped up those beams I was thinking "Oh man, there must be something big up here!" And it was just armor. Who cares?

The weapons are really plain and desperately need an alt fire. The bomb is alright but it doesn't have splash damage and I don't like the homing ability it has. The homing makes it feel like it takes no finesse to use unlike the pipe bombs or dynamite in Duke 3D and Blood respectively.

Everything else was good but it has nothing on Dusk.

Share this topic:

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options