Duke4.net Forums: Ion Fury - Duke4.net Forums

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Just started playing and discovered Dick's secret stash! :)

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Overall impressions are positive. Only got a little after the second level but I like what I've played.

It needs some more polish and fine tuning but that's why it's Early Access afterall.

Oddly enough my favorite thing are some of the small touches; light switches have an animation when you flip them and fire extinguishers start spraying before they blow up.

Also GGGMan's video is up. Not watching because I don't want stuff spoiler, but here goes:

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 28 February 2018 - 12:27 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

All technical stuff aside wow, this game is such a treat. I love the complex level design and it's great that the gameplay resembles Blood more than any other Build game. It really is a nice mix between Blood and Duke 3D.

User is offline   Mark 

After watching that video it looks like the enemies are shooting to the left and right but not at the player right away. It seems odd. Or is that just muzzle flash off to the side?

This post has been edited by Mark.: 28 February 2018 - 01:11 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

We're working on some of the perf issues now--I can promise that we will update the preview campaign with performance improvements well before the full version is finished. We have stuff in progress, but it wasn't ready by the time we needed it.

Preordered, played the demo for about an hour and I'm loving it to death. I am, unfortunately, amoungst those suffering the performance issues, so I think I'll wait for the patch before continuing on.

All my love and support to you guys. Really nailed the feel and the game is drop dead gorgeous!

User is online   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

View PostMark., on 28 February 2018 - 01:00 PM, said:

After watching that video it looks like the enemies are shooting to the left and right but not at the player right away. It seems odd. Or is that just muzzle flash off to the side?

Not sure what you mean, but unlike a lot of hitscan enemies these don't just lock on to your position and pummel you. It is actually possible to dodge in Ion Maiden.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

The texture and palette set are nice and the levels are immersive. It's an enjoyable visual experience.

The game mechanics seem good - though Shelly jumps like the doomguy would, if he could jump. Just feels like a stiff 2 inch vertical - but it fits the game.

Didn't notice if it could be set, but it'd be nice to have the baton on a quick-fire button as well as having it bound to the the weapon 1 slot. I want to smack chairs and stuff out of my way real quick without having to switch weapons.

Shelly needs more lines. (the ones she has are good. Want more.)

I like how the game told me how many secrets I missed before I got on the elevator to the basement.
(I haven't finished - this is where I stopped)

the only thing i really found is pretty minor - this wall-map is blocking and it clips the player to the top of it.

Attached File  capt0000.jpg (41.68K)
Number of downloads: 36

This post has been edited by Forge: 28 February 2018 - 02:07 PM

User is offline   Sanek 

Passed the sewers right now. Performance aside, it's awesome! :)
First impressions:

-Amazing level design that will impress even the seasoned veterans.
-More interactity than we've ever seen before (in a Build Engine game)
-Music and VA is great.

So far, the only bad thing is enemies and ammo/inventory:

-Enemies look exremely bland and unimaginative, compared to the ones from classic Build games.
-The enemies blend into a f-ing backround so you can't see them until the start shooting or be right in front of you.
-Ammo and misc. inventory blend into the scene too.

As a player I must say that the color direction is not the strongest point of the game.
However, I still think that it's awesome and want to congragulate the team on the early access release of game. Yeah! B)

User is offline   Mark 

View PostMblackwell, on 28 February 2018 - 02:04 PM, said:

Not sure what you mean, but unlike a lot of hitscan enemies these don't just lock on to your position and pummel you. It is actually possible to dodge in Ion Maiden.

From the very opening of gameplay, at the 1 min mark I noticed it and then many times throughout the video. It seems like as soon as they detect the player they shoot regardless of which direction they are facing. Then they turn to face the player and continue shooting. It goes by so fast in the video. But I seem to be the only one seeing this so I could be imagining it. I don't have the game to play to know for sure.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 28 February 2018 - 02:16 PM

User is offline   Forge 

Some further impressions and elaborations on other's comments:

The military issued me field uniforms for the woods, the desert, and an urban environment - before they settled on those generic digital patterned ones they have now.
It would make sense that the enemies would try to blend in with their environment.

I personally didn't have a problem finding and collecting items (weapons, armor, ammo, health, keys, etc.). For me, I seen them easy enough once I knew what to look for.

The enemy a.i. can be kinda stupid at times - and they can get stuck behind things pretty easy.

This post has been edited by Forge: 28 February 2018 - 02:20 PM

Missed 15 secrets in one of the levels, 1/10 review
:)

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 28 February 2018 - 02:20 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostHulkNukem, on 28 February 2018 - 02:20 PM, said:

Missed 15 secrets in one of the levels, 1/10 review
:)

me too. now I don't feel so bad. B)

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostTerminX, on 28 February 2018 - 01:02 PM, said:

We're working on some of the perf issues now--I can promise that we will update the preview campaign with performance improvements well before the full version is finished. We have stuff in progress, but it wasn't ready by the time we needed it.

Cool, I'll keep an ion that. :)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Holy moly!

I notice there's no option for MacOS... but you have linux?? Any news on bringing it to Mac in the future? Eduke32 obviously supports that platform.

I've got it from the 3DR website, primarily to support the devs rather than the DRM aspect. I may buy it on steam in the future on sale if I like it enough.

View PostSanek, on 28 February 2018 - 08:45 AM, said:

I've told you there will be a demo! Nobody beelived me!

Bought the Early Access version without any thinking, despite the huge-ass price.

It's cheaper than World Tour, which was basically 1 new episode. I'm assuming this game will be much bigger than that once the full version is out.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 28 February 2018 - 03:03 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

MacOS support is coming, we're just having some issues with the, uh, "interesting" way Apple has chosen to implement retina displays. :)

• Honored Donor

View PostTerminX, on 28 February 2018 - 03:10 PM, said:

MacOS support is coming, we're just having some issues with the, uh, "interesting" way Apple has chosen to implement retina displays. :)

I love it that you guys are basically paid now to enhance eduke32 Posted Image

User is offline   necroslut 

Awesome work! My only gripes would probably be that some enemies repeat their lines a little too often, and moving around spritework is a bit glitchy (just like in Duke). I'm looking forward to the full game even more now!

User is offline   Hank 

My first impression

Posted Image

Looking forward to the game :)

This post has been edited by Hank: 28 February 2018 - 03:46 PM

User is offline   Jenz/Amaka 

It's been a while I have played a new game that's incredibly enjoyable experience. Congratz!

They managed to make pistol fun to use where as most other games they are weak and useless.
Amount of secrets is unexpected but a nice touch.
Levels are incredible, guns are incredible and gore is just right amount.

Only real complaint is that it is very easy. Never died once or was even close to death.

User is offline   Lunick 

The sky is really one of the most prettiest things about that level and the whole campaign.

Spoiler

User is offline   Forge 

Maybe check the hit scan range(?) of man-hole covers.
A bowling-bomb almost has to be right on top of it in order for the explosion to make it break.
Not an easy task with the excessive distance and wall bounce those things go, even on the lightest touch of the meter & rolling it from a crouch.

Or I just have bad luck.

• Honored Donor

Oh come on, is this even Build?

Posted Image

Played the first level. The game is certainly good. The levels are large, intricate, complex, interconnected, all the areas have a sense of purpose unlike so many 'old school shooters' with their abstract level design. Some guy on steam was complaining it was too complex which makes me lol. I think the level of complexity used here is spot on. Obviously the levels look fantastic; full of colour, detail, and what I think is a simpsons reference in the skybox. At least the level I played had a bit of a SiN feel in the way you were going through a high tech facility. The levels certainly have the level of polish, consistency and custom for-purpose textures that you'd expect of a commercial product.

Combat is also of high quality; as others have said, the enemies aren't bullet sponges. You're also forced to use all weapons and hunt for ammo, and all weapons are useful, even the pistol. The enemies have a bit of punch to them, so you can't just go in guns blazing, you need to be smart about using cover. Fortunately, there's plenty of cover around; convenient crates, desks, walls. Plenty of windows around (including transparent cover) which allows you to see enemies in advance and plan your tactics. This gives the game more depth as opposed to Duke 3D. Another guy on steam also commented about being disappointed that there were 'so few enemies at any one time'. But this isn't Doom or Serious Sam, nor is it meant to be.

Interactivity is also in many ways more than I was expecting. You can push some things like chairs around. I love shooting the paintings. Shooting windows leaves cracks on the glass. Many, many little details. The moving sectors have momentum to them (slow start/stop) as opposed to Duke's constant speed. Omg that elevator with the guys in it...

On other hand, in some areas I was let down by the interactivity. It's great that you can use the toilets, but you can't use the toilets :) Further more, you can't use things like vending machines. There was also this bathroom with a hand towel dispenser, taps, and (what I think is) a condom dispenser; none of which you can interact with. I understand that the game can't have infinite interactivity, and they've come a long way in what they've done, but these particular components stood out to me as should be interactive but aren't.

I was also surprised by the performance issues (on my albeit 7 year old computer), but then I haven't tried the performance tips yet.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 28 February 2018 - 05:12 PM

Was very excited to see this hit Steam this morning. Bought it before I even really realized I had done so.
But, I had to work... so it sat in my library waiting until after work.

Well, now, I've been home an hour or so... and I've played some of it.
And, I love it.

I've always had a soft spot for Build Engine shooters. From the great ones (Blood being my personal favorite) to the rather... "eh" ones (Witchaven). So, getting a new one is a dream come true.
But, this completely surpasses my expectations.
Firstly, the game looks fantastic. The sprite work is beautiful. Wonderfully detailed and very impressive. Also, the world and levels are huge, open... and still, stuffed with little bits here and there to really make it catch your eye.

Gameplay wise, it's what I love. That classic build engine feel, combat is solid and weighty. A lovely crunch when you blow up a group of enemies. Also, kicking around random gibs gave me warm fuzzies and instantly reminded me of Blood.

Now, it's no secret that I was not a big fan of Bombshell. Firstly, I really dislike top down shooters. Not sure why, I've just never enjoyed that perspective in gaming. And, the game was pretty rough when it released. Various issues, crashes, bugs and performance hiccups got in the way of a rather gorgeous looking game.
So, I had reservations when I originally heard about a prequel FPS game. But, those worries dropped when I found out who was making it.

So many people I knew/remember from the old 3DRealms forums. It's great to see their hardwork get so much positive attention. And TerminX, was very supportive when I first became a mod back at 3DRealms, and he was a guy I always really liked.
So, I just want to say, great job guys. It's truly fantastic, and I can not wait to play more.

User is offline   Perro Seco 

I've never felt the need to buy a modern game since none of them convinces me. But this is something different; after more than a decade without buying nothing, now I really want to play this game.

But my computer is old, with a cheap Intel graphic card and a 32-bit system. However, EDuke32 runs pretty good, so it's totally impossible to run Ion Maiden on it?

Sorry for my shitty ignorance, but the lack of interest on modern games has made me a totally ignorant about graphic compatibilities.

By the way...

Spoiler

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Posted Image

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostFox, on 28 February 2018 - 06:06 PM, said:

Map

That would be a great image for the 3D Realms or Bombshell Twitter accounts to use. Even for people who are tired of that meme, it's so impressive!

I see that there will be an Ion Maiden panel at PAX East in April!

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 28 February 2018 - 06:16 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

It's one of the Top Sellers on Steam. :)

View PostFox, on 28 February 2018 - 06:32 PM, said:

It's one of the Top Sellers on Steam. :)

If we can get more people playing this than World Tour, then that's a big improvement. B)

Share this topic:

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options