Duke4.net Forums: Shadow Warrior Reboot Series - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior Reboot Series

User is offline   Toxic34 

Many of us obviously are big fans of Shadow Warrior, even with it becoming ever more politically incorrect as time goes on. It's still nothing but sheer fun. Shadow Warrior's 2013 reboot was an unexpected triumph that recaptures what makes old-school FPS titles so fun, a title that undoubtedly makes one wish that Duke Nukem Forever was more like it. Shadow Warrior 2 was also very well-done and received, even with its incorporating more of a Far Cry-style open world format. Obviously, they are clearly teasing for a third title to follow, much how MachineGames state that their Wolfenstein series will be a trilogy (which will likely end with a Mecha Hitler boss fight).

Share your thoughts about Flying Wild Hog's vision for Shadow Warrior below.

User is offline   spessu_sb 

Not excited about these games at all, considering how they really don't have that much in common with the game Shadow Warrior. These reboots play fundamentally very differently to the classic one/s.

You enter a room, room will lock up and the game starts spawning monsters at you
This is how typical PeopleCanFly/FlyingWildHog designs work. Game spawns Ridiciolous amount of enemies just like in Painkiller and Serious Sam instead of classic fps. Painkiller and Serious Sam are very much fun and badass shooting games but they're not old school, thats one thing for sure.

SW reboots are entirely missing the clever non-linear map design (infact the first reboot is fully linear), individual placed enemy design, focus on secrets etc. From what I know.. the new one is just kinda empty open world which still obviously won't compare to an really carefully planned out non-linear map design. Design where you've got room to explore but not a complete sandbox amount, to keep some pathway in. Since it wasn't a sandbox game, it also meant the action focused gameplay would mainly happen which is the whole point of those games. Instead if it had been a openworld style game, chances are it would've been more of the now kinda typical wandering around in emptiness more adventure/rpg style thing.

Also not a fan of the way how things atleast worked in the first reboot. All you're guns feel like peashooters in start, because you've gotta "upgrade" everything until they have even bit of punch to them. And you also don't get the weapons nearly fast enough because the game wants you to get them instead from these cinematic story told moments. So say good bye to SW like gameplay where on the very first map you can find bunch of weapons and power weapons such as Grenade Launcher or RPG if you're clever enough to find the secrets.

What can I say.. I'm just not a fan of these games that are touted to be something, that they're actually not. They have elements, yes but not the core elements or something is always missing from them.

User is offline   TURBOKID 

View Postspessu_sb, on 26 January 2018 - 01:36 PM, said:

Not excited about these games at all, considering how they really don't have that much in common with the game Shadow Warrior. These reboots play fundamentally very differently to the classic one/s.

This is how typical PeopleCanFly/FlyingWildHog designs work. Game spawns Ridiciolous amount of enemies just like in Painkiller and Serious Sam instead of classic fps. Painkiller and Serious Sam are very much fun and badass shooting games but they're not old school, thats one thing for sure.

SW reboots are entirely missing the clever non-linear map design (infact the first reboot is fully linear), individual placed enemy design, focus on secrets etc. From what I know.. the new one is just kinda empty open world which still obviously won't compare to an really carefully planned out non-linear map design. Design where you've got room to explore but not a complete sandbox amount, to keep some pathway in. Since it wasn't a sandbox game, it also meant the action focused gameplay would mainly happen which is the whole point of those games. Instead if it had been a openworld style game, chances are it would've been more of the now kinda typical wandering around in emptiness more adventure/rpg style thing.

Also not a fan of the way how things atleast worked in the first reboot. All you're guns feel like peashooters in start, because you've gotta "upgrade" everything until they have even bit of punch to them. And you also don't get the weapons nearly fast enough because the game wants you to get them instead from these cinematic story told moments. So say good bye to SW like gameplay where on the very first map you can find bunch of weapons and power weapons such as Grenade Launcher or RPG if you're clever enough to find the secrets.

What can I say.. I'm just not a fan of these games that are touted to be something, that they're actually not. They have elements, yes but not the core elements or something is always missing from them.

Im sorry but I have to add my two as someone who has both and has finished both, and on my 2nd playthrough of number 2. You say your all for the old school shooter, and the reboot doesn't have this foundation, your point might be valid had you not commented on FWH and their barraging you with action, and then this "So say good bye to SW like gameplay where on the very first map you can find bunch of weapons and power weapons such as Grenade Launcher or RPG if you're clever enough to find the secrets" Oh im sorry but come on, if you dont like the game you dont have to play it. But if your going to make negatives you really should play them first. Oh and for the record SW2 having a dead world? Nope not how I play it. If your not a complete boob you will quickly get into the freedom and nostalgia of hunting around for that special weapon, finding secrets, and kicking ass while trying not to spit out your beer from the remarkable crap that comes out of Wangs gob. Both are great games but pretty different. Shadow warrior 1 is basically run around, kill shit, hunt for keys, get to the end of the level (Wait that sounds familiar :dukecigar: ) Number 2 is more open to exploration but if one isnt your bag the other should be. The first, yes an "old school" shooter run and gun, strafe and pray, the second, a non linear free to explore at your discretion with a shite ton of weapons on offer. Just gonna say this, Doom, Duke, Quake, Blood, old school fps games right there, 1 to 9. Shadow warrior 1 has a good amount of weapons considering what it is trying to reboot, and Shadow warrior 2 just bombards you with them. Just play the games, you have to experience them properly for yourself.

This post has been edited by TURBOKID: 27 January 2018 - 07:09 PM

User is offline   Player Lin 

I did like the reboot, yes, it still has flaws(weak of weaponry but the sword, try beat the Ch16 with insane/heroic mode without any fails, no patches anymore after the buggy 1.5.0 release and then FHW focused on the sequel), but for me, it still plays well and has some sort of classic style, yes, it's not the same to original, but I don't think it needed has to be.

I haven't played the SW2 because I'm waiting when it's on sale of 75% off or more, as I still pissed off they just never fixed their first game at all. :dukecigar:

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 28 January 2018 - 02:16 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I liked the 2013 game very much, I think that was just the franchise needed to give it a bit more personality. The melee combat with the various special moves was really fun, I like the new Wang better than the old one as a character, Hoji was a great addition and the level design was good even though it could have been better with a bit less linearity.

SW2? I pretty much hate that one, I think FWH broke everything that was possible to break. Having to manage your inventory for one third of your playtime is just super bad in a fast paced shooter, true enemy variety got dumbed down in favor of boring and frustrating environmental modifiers, randomization ruined the level design even if it was less linear, they focused on quantity instead of quality when it comes to the weaponry etc. The biggest mistake was the gem system though, that shit is garbage.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostToxic34, on 25 January 2018 - 05:18 PM, said:

Shadow Warrior's 2013 reboot was an unexpected triumph that recaptures what makes old-school FPS titles so fun, a title that undoubtedly makes one wish that Duke Nukem Forever was more like it.

Nope.

As others have stated, the games are fun, but they do their own thing as opposed to being old-school shooters. As the games progress, the weapons feel weaker and weaker such that even the most basic enemies are massive bullet sponges. It's difficult to feel like a badass when you're not plowing through enemies. At least Serious Sam got that bit right. At its least linear, DNF was approaching the style of old-school level design, however those moments were infrequent and fleeting.

In Shadow Warrior 2, their level generation system seemed ok at first, but after you get about 25% of the way through, the same areas are very clearly popping up over and over. Near the end it almost feels like the new levels are carbon copies of the old ones due to being so similar. I don't mind them randomizing the levels like that, but they need to put a lot more time into giving each level it's own large set of building blocks, rather than having the game predominantly drawing from a common pool.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMicky C, on 28 January 2018 - 04:01 PM, said:

Nope.

As others have stated, the games are fun, but they do their own thing as opposed to being old-school shooters. As the games progress, the weapons feel weaker and weaker such that even the most basic enemies are massive bullet sponges.

Yeah, that's the problem every single FWH game has though compared to SW 2013 Hard Reset was even more insane.

User is offline   Avoozl 

Honestly I prefer the original Shadow Warrior over the reboot and its sequel, I felt the reboot was very generic and lazily put together, the weapons were also weak even when upgraded.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostGrand Admiral Thrawn, on 05 February 2018 - 02:38 AM, said:

Honestly I prefer the original Shadow Warrior over the reboot and its sequel, I felt the reboot was very generic and lazily put together, the weapons were also weak even when upgraded.

I guess the new games start working when you kinda let go of your preconceptions considering what an SW game should be like according to you. You can't really play SW 2013 like a traditional FPS, the mechanics start coming together when you put melee into the equation. In SW 2013 the weapons are not there to replace the sword combat, just to support it and once you get that mindset and act accordingly it's just awesome. Stuff like the quickslash, the parry and the little mechanical niceties like that if you switch to the sword and press attack at the same time Wang instantly does a slash instead of the normal weapon switch animation are the things that wrap the gameplay together.

Of course your mileage may vary but I think SW 2013 is a very good interpretation of the classic game: there the katana was quite useful, you could do a lot of things with it, SW 2013 just likes to focus on that unique aspect. Personally if I had to reboot a classic Build game I'd sure as hell take the same direction instead of just making a Duke clone. For example in a Blood reboot I'd partially replace the traditional medkit system with using the Life Leech as a central method for replenishing health because that's a unique flavour of the old game and it's a bit more interesting than just picking up health.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 05 February 2018 - 07:43 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options