Duke4.net Forums: Map Commisions - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Map Commisions

User is offline   TURBOKID 

I was wondering if there would be anyone interested in making some maps for me? I would pay you for your time. And with everything else im trying to do learning to map isnt something i need to add to the plate.

User is offline   Paul B 

(In my best Humphrey Bogart's voice) Here's lookin' at you Kid. While everyone stalls to see what becomes of the silence allow myself to introduce myself. I came out in the top 15 with one of my pride releases for Duke Hard called Level 13. Out of 15 mappers I placed about 15th. My creativity is masked by my over use of TROR and what I can't achieve in Polymer I steal from the likes of Gambini. While talents seem to come naturally to some, I work very hard at under achieving but at the end of the day I can get the job done. For visually appealing and emmersive game play I would seek a mapper with a keen eye to detail. A mapper who is artsy with a pencil and paper or with 3D modelling experience tends to deliver the most immersive map experiences. Both of these talents I lack, but can make up for in bed.

Anyway, what type of maps are you looking for? Do you have a theme in mind? Do you have a preference as to what render mode you'd like to see? What map compatibility would you like to maintain?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Paul is full of shit.
He's horrible in bed.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Turbokid, I think it's great that you are offering to hire mappers instead of asking for free work. But imo you still need to make a pitch -- the likelihood is that only a mapper actually interested in your project will sign on, even if you are paying them. Unless you are rich, you won't be able to pay someone enough to make it truly worth their time; a quality map can easily take 100 hours of work or more. Some take much less, of course, but that's when you have a mapper who has already invested countless hours to get that good.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

This is a little weird to me. Why would someone hire a mapper for?

Anyway if I were you, I'd start by saying what's the project about, will it require just a map or a set of maps? would it require additional work like concept guidelines and style direction, will it use the original set tiles or will it use new art? Is the mapper free of making whatever he wants or you are in charge of the desitions, and most important what's your budget, What are you gonna gain when the map is done? The mapper is gonna keep the credit or are you searching for a ghost mapper!!? Is this all serious?

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostMike Norvak, on 16 January 2018 - 06:57 AM, said:

This is a little weird to me. Why would someone hire a mapper for?

Anyway if I were you, I'd start by saying what's the project about, will it require just a map or a set of maps? would it require additional work like concept guidelines and style direction, will it use the original set tiles or will it use new art? Is the mapper free of making whatever he wants or you are in charge of the desitions, and most important what's your budget, What are you gonna gain when the map is done? The mapper is gonna keep the credit or are you searching for a ghost mapper!!? Is this all serious?

Good points, Mike. I don't think he's in need of a ghost mapper. We'll already knew that someone besides him will work on a project. :dukecigar:
The budget thing is very confusing to me. The amount of money that will be considered big in some countries can be pennies in other ones. Besides, how much money the mapper could ask for his job on a non-profit project? With the exception of DavoX, I don't know if there's any other mappers who have a list of professional work under their belts.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 16 January 2018 - 04:19 AM, said:

Turbokid, I think it's great that you are offering to hire mappers instead of asking for free work.

Yes, it will be good for mappers, but I don't like that he's saying about it publicly. It would sabotage other people's work.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

It's strange that someone would offer to pay for having a few maps made, but I think there's too much reading into it.

The person does art, sprites, whatever. They don't want to be bothered to learn how to map & would probably prefer free maps on a co-op project, but is maybe assuming most decent mappers are tied up in their own projects or real life. The person's willing to compensate the mapper. I wouldn't expect professional type money, just a little to make it worth your time & to put off other things.

• Music Producer

The ghost mapper was a joke. Why you don't make a barter with the mapper Turbokid?

I can understand why it might seem weird but it really is as simple as this, I am an artist and a Duke fan, not a mapper. I do not wish to learn as i have too much going on in my life for that, but I want my project to be finished exactly how it is supposed to be without having to sacrifice because of my lack of knowing how to map or do other things that i know are possible as I have seen it done. Made sense to me to farm it out. The maps wouldn't, all be redone, and the mapper would have to like building streets, shops, apartments etc and some levels will be extended. The project is just something i thought cool once and would like to deliver it to the community in some form.

User is offline   stumppy84 

Maybe you should play a few maps and then ask the authors if you can use their map in your mod. Make a compilation of good user maps. I’ve seen it done in a few mods before.

View Poststumppy84, on 17 January 2018 - 05:10 PM, said:

Maybe you should play a few maps and then ask the authors if you can use their map in your mod. Make a compilation of good user maps. I’ve seen it done in a few mods before.

That is a good suggestion but i have very specific hopes for this mod.

• Music Producer

You should make a pitch as DT pojnted. Is there a specific style you are going for? Judging by your shots it should have really colorful cities.

View PostMike Norvak, on 17 January 2018 - 09:12 PM, said:

You should make a pitch as DT pojnted. Is there a specific style you are going for? Judging by your shots it should have really colorful cities.

Colourful cities is a must, lots of street scenes, stores, open areas for riding the bike etc.
And i would make a pitch but theres alot i wanna keep under wraps so pm is best for full details.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

View PostTURBOKID, on 17 January 2018 - 04:51 PM, said:

I can understand why it might seem weird but it really is as simple as this, I am an artist and a Duke fan, not a mapper. I do not wish to learn as i have too much going on in my life for that, but I want my project to be finished exactly how it is supposed to be without having to sacrifice because of my lack of knowing how to map or do other things that i know are possible as I have seen it done. Made sense to me to farm it out. The maps wouldn't, all be redone, and the mapper would have to like building streets, shops, apartments etc and some levels will be extended. The project is just something i thought cool once and would like to deliver it to the community in some form.

Well Paul B is interested so PM him :dukecigar:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options