Duke4.net Forums: Star Wars: Episode Thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Star Wars: Episode Thread  "Because theres too many awesome things happening for a thread each"

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 31 December 2017 - 07:03 PM, said:

There is the question of whether a one-man fighter launching through hyperspace would cause as much damage as a capital ship.

On the contrary, assuming that the ships travel through normal space during 'light speed' (which we can since some damage was obviously incurred on Snoke's ship), then there should have been a lot more damage resulting from the collision. I imagine all the ships in the area being destroyed as opposed to a small slice of Snoke's. A one-man fighter-sized ship can easily knock it out.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMicky C, on 31 December 2017 - 10:04 PM, said:

On the contrary, assuming that the ships travel through normal space during 'light speed' (which we can since some damage was obviously incurred on Snoke's ship), then there should have been a lot more damage resulting from the collision. I imagine all the ships in the area being destroyed as opposed to a small slice of Snoke's. A one-man fighter-sized ship can easily knock it out.

If you base it off of "normal" science - the faster an object travels, the more mass it has.
It appears they are doing something outside of anything we know and are somehow offsetting, or even reducing, the vessel's mass.

Posted Image

Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?

This post has been edited by Forge: 31 December 2017 - 10:22 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

You know, it's not the first time the saga tries to have epic moments but fails at it falling into ridicule (this majorly affects the prequels, the out of place gags of the new trilogy add further headache when it happens). But for a bunch of them there are objective redeeming factors even if considered laughable at first, unfortunately this is also joined by that category of fans who want to see the good even where there is not.

The Vader "NO" is one one of the most notorious scenes of this kind. But also one of the most
blatant act of revisionism by fans, I remember EXACTLY how it went: First everyone complained because it turned Vader into a pussy and a big "NO" in Vader mask voice sounds like an angry idiot, then they turned it into a viral meme of mockery of the scene itself, then it turned out into a "My reaction when..." type, and now it is considered by many an ironically powerful dramatic scene that expresses the suffering of the character. OK this could be a case of memetic evolution which canceled the comic factor but I'm suspicious about it. There is also the possibility that the hate/mockery for the scene had been inflated by SW nazi-fans triggered by see Vader in a moment of human weakness before it's return to the light side.

Personally I never found it silly not even the first time I saw it.

The flying Leia instead it's a scrap of film that looks taken from Dragonball Evolution and will remain into the Jump Shark universe forever, it cannot be saved from any point of view. The shameful end of Carrie Fisher career (and life). And we are talking about a woman from which dignity showed even with strange hair crumbs or a plastic/metal bikini.

• The Sarien Encounter

Naw, the "Vader No" is still a ridiculing meme. I was looking forward to it when it was happening. I remember being incredibly let down when after the growling and machinery being crushed everywhere that he let out this......strange, very non-Vader AND non-Anakin, whiny emotional "noooooo". It could still have been a "no" but in a more angry tone. I was so let down by that scene. It was building up so great...and then it just dropped and failed miserably.

There is someone that proven you can actually scream a long "NO" instead of "Nooooouuuuu" using the Vader mask vocoder? Or it is unavoidable? I don't think they edited the audio, apart volume and echo effect, to make him sound like that on purpose.

Oh, there is also the "NO" shouted out in the blueray version of ROTJ, but the tone highly improves in the other language dubbings.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 01 January 2018 - 03:02 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I don't bother with the OT Blurays. In fact, part of my Christmas bonus was dedicated to buying blank ink jet-printable discs to burn the fan edited Despecialized Editions with fancy labels.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 01 January 2018 - 05:41 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Leia flying through space looked silly, but there's nothing implausible about someone who is strong with the force being able to fend off the effects of vacuum for a few moments and levitate themselves towards a ship.

• The Sarien Encounter

I printed these today with my work's colour laser printer on glossy presentation paper. It's a little dark and blurry, but got the job done. These are my favourite Star Wars covers. These are the ones I grew up with (the THX VHS release in 1994, I think it was) and also apparently the laserdisc versions. Now I'm just waiting for my ink-jet printable blank Bluray discs to come in so I can burn Harmy's Despecialized Editions on them. My work also has a convenient ink-jet disc printer.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 10 January 2018 - 01:43 PM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I wish I could find copies of the demasters somehow, they look super sweet.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 01 January 2018 - 06:36 PM, said:

Leia flying through space looked silly, but there's nothing implausible about someone who is strong with the force being able to fend off the effects of vacuum for a few moments and levitate themselves towards a ship.

or say maybe that person's father, who is allegedly more powerful and had more training, being able to fend off, oh maybe, a little fire and lava. But that's just splitting hairs.
Maybe the force is also a gender; fluid and it only applies when it's convenient.

• The Sarien Encounter

Actually, it seems like both Luke and Leia are potentially more powerful than Vader was or could be. Palpatine foresaw his ability to destroy both himself and Vader. Also, I think it's canon that Vader, before he was maimed, had about twice the power of Palpatine and that after he lost most of his limbs his power reduced to about 80% of Palpatine. I can't remember where I read that...might not be canon anymore. But it still seems to be consensus that Luke was ultimately more powerful than Vader was. Maybe it's compounded with each generation?

Anyway...

View PostDaedolon, on 10 January 2018 - 01:50 PM, said:

I wish I could find copies of the demasters somehow, they look super sweet.

http://originaltrilo...id/57042/page/1

These instructions, with the aid of FreeRapid Downloader for the MEGA links that this procedure will gain you, will get you the Despecialized Edition BD50 ISOs that I acquired (6 of them, 3 movies and 3 special features discs) and plan on burning. It took me a week and a half or so however because you can only download about 5GB on MEGA before having to wait up to 4 hours to continue downloading.

If you're just looking for Harmy's bare MKV files, his website has other directions to obtaining those.

User is offline   Forge 

Posted Image

• The Sarien Encounter

I enjoyed this.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 13 January 2018 - 09:08 AM

User is offline   Forge 

Is Star Wars just not popular in China?
I read somewhere that the Fempire Strikes Back is tanking in their country.

This post has been edited by Forge: 13 January 2018 - 09:35 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

China is weird. They like more action and less talky-talky yak yak.

User is offline   Merlijn 

None of the new Star Wars movies did very well in China, if I remember correctly.

Star Wars isn't an established brand for Chinese audiences. So no nostalgia goggles or pre-existing fan base to get people to the theatre.

It is already strange the average success of the saga in Japan considering that the vast majority of Star Wars elements, moral and plots where before in their 60's-70's sci-fi/monster movies, in addition to the popular culture and historical events, it represented nothing of particularly revolutionary for them. Lucas itself took inspiration from the bushido (with shaolin touch and other cultures myths) to create the Jedi.

• The Sarien Encounter

Printed on glossy presentation paper with my work's colour laser printer. Looks freaking legit. The labels were printed with our burner/label printer robot (ANH and ESB were printed slightly off center, though, so I'll just reburn and reprint at some point). Just waiting for my BD25 discs to come in so I can burn the special features/documentaries discs.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 19 January 2018 - 09:32 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

My BD25s came in yesterday, so I burned two of the documentary discs and printed the labels on them this morning at work. Just need to get another BD50 pack so I can burn the last documentary disc for ROTJ and I'm done.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 23 January 2018 - 07:02 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I saw the new movie yesterday. After reading many poor reviews and opinions here and elsewhere I was expecting to really enjoy the movie. And I did. Great fight sequences, drama, tension and excitement. I give it a 9.5 out of 10 score. My only 2 very minor complaints were the chick saving Finn by stopping him while going after the cannon and secondly, those cute and funny little furry creatures. It seems every big wannabe blockbuster movie has to have one for marketing to the little kids. I could do without that silly little humor.

I enjoyed it as a stand-alone movie and not with my fanboy glasses on. I didn't feel the need to pick apart every little nuance of how it did or didn't fit into the SW universe.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

• The Sarien Encounter

It's pretty neat to see the Falcon in her prime. Those pristine walls, tho.

User is offline   Forge 

so is the person at 0:33 supposed to be Lando?

• The Sarien Encounter

Yes. That's Donald Glover. A lot of people seem to worship his ability as an actor. I've never seen him before.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I see he's getting a solo movie.

• The Sarien Encounter

The creators of the Game of Thrones tv show are making their own Star Wars films (separate from the Skywalker saga much like Rian Johnson's new trilogy).

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Posted Image

User is offline   Mark 

When watching the scene of crashing the ship into the other one I wondered "why sacrifice her life when a droid could have piloted the ship instead".

User is offline   Merlijn 

This is great. :dukecigar:

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options