Duke4.net Forums: Good single player modern FPS? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Good single player modern FPS?

User is offline   malvado 

What are some modern FPS games you guys like (let's say from the last decade or so)? Any hidden gems? If you know decent fan made mods or expansions I'd be interested in those, too, thanks.

User is offline   axl 

The last 10 years:

- Bioshock (2009)
- Rage (2011): a bit underrated... the shooting part is excellent in my opinion... the rest not so much.
- Metro: Last Light (2013)
- Wolfenstein The New Order (2014)
- Doom (2016).

The new Doom game was probably the best FPS in years.

But the golden age of FPS is definitely gone... that was Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Blood, Half-Life, GoldenEye, Half-Life 2, ...

User is offline   malvado 

View Postaxl, on 18 November 2017 - 01:39 PM, said:

The new Doom game was probably the best FPS in years.

Yeah I agree. I really liked it. I binged through its campaign in one sitting; can't remember the last time I did that.

User is offline   Maisth 

Doom 2016
All Bioshock
Duke Nukem Forever
Serious Sam HD and 3
Wolfenstein The New Order and Old Blood
Left 4 Dead 1 and 2
Dying Light
Shadow Warrior 2013

User is offline   BestViking 

I liked Crysis 3.

Bioshock Infinite. It's the most balls to the wall "action movie" one of the series, which some fans didn't dig, but it's my fav personally, cool story and setting too.

For expansions, if you haven't checked out Duke 3D World Tour yet give that a whirl, it rocks. And DOOM 2016 of course rules.

Call of Juarez Gunslinger and Far Cry Blood Dragon are both great shorter budget priced FPS games that really delivered the goods I felt. Blood Dragon more for it's fun vibe, Gunslinger had tighter shooting gameplay.

If you haven't played any Painkiller, the abbreviated remake Hell and Damnation I really enjoyed, fans tend to recommend the original more so though. I liked both.

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Stalker, all parts.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Titanfall 2's easily my favorite, but both Metro 2033 and Last Light (if you don't mind playing as a vulnerable character), the STALKER games, the Doom reboot, and The Darkness 2 are all great. People say Infinite Warfare's pretty decent, too!

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMaisth, on 18 November 2017 - 05:26 PM, said:

Doom 2016
All Bioshock
Duke Nukem Forever
Serious Sam HD and 3
Wolfenstein The New Order and Old Blood
Left 4 Dead 1 and 2
Dying Light
Shadow Warrior 2013

Hm, Shadow Warrior 2 is missing from that list... maybe I'm not the only one who hated the guts of that game?

User is offline   X-Vector 

The best way to get a feel for a particular game is to try it out yourself, so I suggest getting your hands on a couple of demos.
If you've got Steam installed:
http://store.steampo...19&category1=10
https://www.reddit.c...your_computers/

Some first person titles I've spent both quality and quantity time with in recent years:
- Black Mesa (free mod version still available)
- Borderlands 1 & 2
- Crysis
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution
- Fallout 3
- Fallout New Vegas
- Skyrim (most recent install - I'm playing an archer character as usual so I count this as a shooter)

Other options:
- Aliens vs Predator 2010
- BioShock series (demo available for first one)
- Dishonored series (demo available for sequel)
- Doom 2016 (demo available, not terrible but doesn't do much for me)
- Hard Reset (demo available)
- Prey 2017 (demo available)
- RAGE
- Serious Sam 3
- Shadow Warrior 2013 & 2 (demo available for first one, not my cup of tea)
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series (I'l get around to playing this eventually)

Third person recommendations:
- Dead Space 1 & 2
- Mad Max (runs well, looks good, fun but repetitive gameplay in the vein of Just Cause and Red Faction: Guerilla; mostly hand-to-hand combat)
- Mass Effect series (only played 1 & 2, first one is my clear favourite)

User is offline   Maisth 

View PostZaxx, on 19 November 2017 - 02:46 AM, said:

Hm, Shadow Warrior 2 is missing from that list... maybe I'm not the only one who hated the guts of that game?

Reason i didn't include it, is because i haven't played it yet if i haven't played a game i can't recommend it.

I can't believe that no one mentioned Dusk.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostBruno Mattei, on 02 December 2017 - 01:57 PM, said:

I can't believe that no one mentioned Dusk.

It's not out, you can't judge a game from a single episode...

User is offline   axl 

And a couple of underrated FPS:

- Singularity (2010)
- F.E.A.R. 2 (2009): I honestly don't understand the negative feedback here... it has some great shoot-outs.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostLunick, on 02 December 2017 - 11:42 PM, said:

It's not out, you can't judge a game from a single episode...

Isn't that the whole point of shareware?

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMicky C, on 11 December 2017 - 02:02 PM, said:

Isn't that the whole point of shareware?

...I wasn't aware shareware was still a thing in 2017

User is offline   spessu_sb 

My absolute favorites are:

2007: Timeshift (a serious Half-Life-like storybased game, completely under the radar super underrated game imo)
2013: Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon (Awesome 90's like non-serious game design with almost anything you can imagine)
2013: Wrack (Only modern Doom-like game aside from maybe now released Dusk game)

View PostTnT, on 24 November 2017 - 02:11 AM, said:

Deadfall Adventure.

It's a FPS Indiana Jones/Lara Croft knockoff. Lots of action and superb puzzle design throughout the whole game.

I sorta like this game but I don't like it that much, since I had to edit the gamefiles manually to remove the need to aimdownsights. Thus successfully be able to fire from the hip as it should be, without any loss in accuracy and that does imo make the game more enjoyable and varied since it tends to play alot fasterpaced then.

This post has been edited by spessu_sb: 11 December 2017 - 07:25 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I was incredibly disappointed in TimeShift. But I've stated why so many times I won't repeat myself here now and spare everyone. It is interesting to note, though, that Jon St John did a lot of major voice work for the game (which you can witness in the early demo release) before it was redesigned and overhauled. I still haven't played through Blood Dragon yet. Really need to do that now that I have a much better GPU for the job! Never heard of Wrack.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 11 December 2017 - 08:43 PM

User is offline   BestViking 

I didn't play Blood Dragon, but I enjoyed Far Cry 3 very much. Didn't care too much for the story, or the simplistic edgelord villain that was hyped so much. While FC4 somewhat improved on it in that one and only aspect, in creating a more interesting villain, he was barely featured at all, which of course was very convenient for the lazy writers. That way, they could focus on the feminist narrative that had infected the rest of the game and pour all of the energy into that, instead of fleshing out the characteristics of a potentially very interesting villain. Speaking of laziness, it was also discovered that the map in Far Cry Primal is simply a retextured version of the map from Far Cry 4.

With all this in mind and having seen the trailers of the very politically correct Far Cry 5, I think the series has lost its credibility forever. FC3 was a great sandbox game with some interesting missions. And I do believe that I speak for the majority when I declare it a good sandbox game, and not a deep story driven game although things got interesting with the "Buck" character, the kidnapping and all that. Those missions were also slightly interesting, and despite the majority of the story not being much to brag about, it succeeded in introducing the different environments in a way that brought surprises along the way.

The cast ended up as something everyone hated. SJWs for the reason that the protagonist is a "white savior" coming to the rescue of brown people seemingly incapable of defending themselves, and traditionalists hate it because the protagonist is extremely cowardly and effeminate, and that he and his friends embody the worst aspects of entitled western tourists.

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 11 December 2017 - 08:42 PM, said:

I was incredibly disappointed in TimeShift. But I've stated why so many times I won't repeat myself here now and spare everyone. It is interesting to note, though, that Jon St John did a lot of major voice work for the game (which you can witness in the early demo release) before it was redesigned and overhauled. I still haven't played through Blood Dragon yet. Really need to do that now that I have a much better GPU for the job! Never heard of Wrack.
Yeah I remember your opinion on it in somewhere in other thread and it's most definitely safe to say that it clearly wasn't your thing :D
However I just happen to like it very much. If I try to break it down why I like it so much, then it probably goes something like this.

• It has a really cool setting imo (like Duke, it's set on "modern" day environment such as buildingblocks and cities also factories etc industrial locations + the un-deniable scifi)

• Game design where the player isn't kept as complete idiot but allows for exploring and backtracking of levels etc

• Half-Life-like feeling in the game eventhough Timeshift utilizes cutscenes and HL not.

• Professional developed game quality and the seriousness of the game's focus

• Cool suit powers that let you manipulate time via stopping it, slowing it down or just reversing it

• Health regen actually works and makes sense here and same goes with weaponlimit. Movement speed is fast enough and forces you to utilize the time manipulating mechanics to really succeed.

Don't know if this sounds as some shill talk now but I can't help it.. I just really like the game and imo more people should know about this interesting game. It's a game that happened right before the console oriented shooter design started taking over.

As for Wrack.. It was a commercially failed Indie classic fps attempt. The game is imo fun but it was flop enough to not make the developer want to create rest of planned episodes for the game. And that is a real shame.

Reason you don't know about the game is because it is much like Timeshift. Game flies basically entirely under the radar and really, it's a bit odd that is so because like I said.. it's basically the only classic Doom-like game that has been released in years and it even comes with a full level editor kit to mod the game. Aesthetic is also nice cartoony XIII style but for some reason it never got it's even moderate success.

View PostBestViking, on 11 December 2017 - 11:18 PM, said:

I didn't play Blood Dragon, but I enjoyed Far Cry 3 very much. Didn't care too much for the story, or the simplistic edgelord villain that was hyped so much. While FC4 somewhat improved on it in that one and only aspect, in creating a more interesting villain, he was barely featured at all, which of course was very convenient for the lazy writers. That way, they could focus on the feminist narrative that had infected the rest of the game and pour all of the energy into that, instead of fleshing out the characteristics of a potentially very interesting villain. Speaking of laziness, it was also discovered that the map in Far Cry Primal is simply a retextured version of the map from Far Cry 4.

With all this in mind and having seen the trailers of the very politically correct Far Cry 5, I think the series has lost its credibility forever. FC3 was a great sandbox game with some interesting missions. And I do believe that I speak for the majority when I declare it a good sandbox game, and not a deep story driven game although things got interesting with the "Buck" character, the kidnapping and all that. Those missions were also slightly interesting, and despite the majority of the story not being much to brag about, it succeeded in introducing the different environments in a way that brought surprises along the way.

The cast ended up as something everyone hated. SJWs for the reason that the protagonist is a "white savior" coming to the rescue of brown people seemingly incapable of defending themselves, and traditionalists hate it because the protagonist is extremely cowardly and effeminate, and that he and his friends embody the worst aspects of entitled western tourists.

Imo FC3 and Blood Dragon should be their own things. There was a suggested/hoped sequel coming for Blood Dragon which carried some hilarious name like Blood Dragon 5: Vietnam War 3.

Where FC has always been more grounded and somewhat believable, BD let it all loose (in a good way). In BD you have dragons that shoot lazer from their eyes, you have quadshotgun that shoots explosive firebullets, sniper rifle that can be upgraded to shoot explosive bullets making it essentially longrange rocketlauncher B) You can run faster than in any other modern fps and no need to stop, you can drop from any distance and not die because of "mk4 style cyborg soldier mofo" The list is really long ;) You have the awesome 80's visioned 2007. A future where nuclear war has gone and all the surroundings are in someway neon colored and plays epic 80's synthwave music while also unique comic way told story plays out, a hilarious "evil man wants to rule the world and he has to stopped".

I really hope they make that Blood Dragon sequel because that is something I'm willing to buy day1.

This post has been edited by spessu_sb: 12 December 2017 - 07:38 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 11 December 2017 - 08:42 PM, said:

I was incredibly disappointed in TimeShift.

I felt the same with Blood Dragon: in its atmosphere it's very cool and just perfect but the gameplay is just the same old boring Far Cry. I got it for free, still couldn't get myself to finish it because I was just bored out of my mind after an hour.

Anyway if there is a modern SP FPS that I view as underrated and a must play I'd say Bioshock 2. Sure, the setting is largely the same as the first one but the gameplay is so much better, it's such a badass shooter and its DLC, Minerva's Den is honestly the best piece of Bioshock content from the whole franchise.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 12 December 2017 - 08:47 AM

View Postspessu_sb, on 12 December 2017 - 07:28 AM, said:

There was a suggested/hoped sequel coming for Blood Dragon which carried some hilarious name like Blood Dragon 5: Vietnam War 3.

That was just an April Fools joke. I remember that artwork, and it wasn't a coherent world inspired by 1980s sci-fi aesthetics, it was just characters from 1980s movies crammed together.

View Postspessu_sb, on 12 December 2017 - 07:28 AM, said:

I really hope they make that Blood Dragon sequel because that is something I'm willing to buy day1.

They made a Blood Dragon sequel (Trials of the Blood Dragon). It wasn't even an FPS, and it sucked more ass than a stripper in a donkey show.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 21 December 2017 - 04:21 PM

Dusk episode 2 is out. I've yet to complete it but it absolutely kicks fucking ass.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options