Duke4.net Forums: The Good, The Bad and The Hyped 2017 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Good, The Bad and The Hyped 2017

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Another year of gaming has gone by and it's been an interesting one, it introduced me to a franchise that has been around for years and I hate myself for only getting into it this late, a famous franchise has returned to it's roots and western gaming is going down in the dumps while Japanese gaming is skyrocketing in quality.

So it's the time to list the games you liked, the games you didn't like and the games you are hyped as hell for in 2018.
As usual cause this is my thing, I'll go first:
The Good!

5:
Posted Image

OK I just put this on the list cause while I do like it, I still haven't finished it cause I so loath the character of 9S and can't play the game with him, his character is so god damn annoying and his combat is no fun at all, whenever he's the player character I just loose all interest in playing which is why I haven't finished the game yet.

However the parts of the game with 2B and that other chick(A4 I think), I loved those parts and they are the reason why I bothered giving this game a mention, I suppose one day I'll suffer through the 9S parts and finish the game.

4:
Posted Image
Yeah when I first saw this game I was one of those who thought Capcom screwed up yet again, but boy was I wrong.
Resident Evil 7 brings back the classic survival horror gameplay we've all wanted and it does it really well.
I just wish there were more monsters instead of just that Mold type, but whatever, this game is still awesome and I'm looking forward to the Not a Hero DLC.

3:
Posted Image

Robot dinosaurs.........what else do I need to say?

2:
Posted Image

Remember when I said that this year introduced me to a franchise that has been around for years and I hate myself for not getting into earlier?

Yup it's Yakuza, holy hell what a series and this remake of Yakuza 1 is so amazing and incredible story filled with so many emotional moments and down right hilarious moments on top of incredible gameplay with so much content.

By the way, Yakuza Kiwami wasn't the one that got me into the series, that honor goes to......

#1 GAME OF THE YEAR!!!

Posted Image

Wow, not since Bayonetta 2 have a told myself that "This is one hell of a video game!"
Taking place before the whole franchise, it was the perfect place for me to start and my god I had the most fun I had in years, it brought back the charm of playing video games again for me because unlike most games today it didn't feel like the story was taking over in any way because this game and the whole franchise manages to tell great stories without interrupting the gameplay.
This series knows when it's time to be a video game and when it's time to tell a story and they never try to force the two together.

I highly recommend giving this game a go and if you want a more in depth view of this game, check out this video, it's what convinced me to try out this game in the first place, trust me you won't be disappointed.

Also:
RIP Hiromi Tsuru
(Voice Actress for Reina)

The Bad:

Fortunately I didn't really play any bad games this year cause I tend to watch the games I plan on buying very closely and wait for reviews.
But I suppose I can list a game I was disappointed with:
Posted Image
I enjoyed my time with the game, but let's just say it ended up doing one of the very main things I dislike about modern games.
It seemed to want to tell a story more than it wanted to be a fun video game about killing Nazi's.
Also it was shorter than The New Order and it's ending was anti climatic, as was the pathetic final boss fight.
Still I enjoyed my time with it so I wouldn't call it bad, just disappointing.

Now for what I'm looking forward to next year!

The Hyped!!

Posted Image

This is going to be my first crack at this franchise so here's hoping it's a good one.

Posted Image

Really liked the first 2 games so I can't wait for this one.

Posted Image

PLEASE be good!

Posted Image

Again.....please be good......and uncensored!

Posted Image

I admit I lost a but of faith in this game after Take 2 said it's gonna have MTX, but I still have faith in Rockstar.

Posted Image

PLEASE let the rumors be true!!

Posted Image

Yup, this is a yearly franchise I can get behind!

So those were my Good, Bad and Hyped for 2018 games.

What are yours?

User is offline   Lunick 

I'd honestly say that the only bad game I was very disappointed with was STRAFE and I didn't even have high expectations for that. Below is not a complete list of what I've played this year but the standouts from each category.

Good:
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Sonic Mania
Spelunker Party
Ion Maiden Beta
The Journey Down Chapter 3
N++
Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment

Okay:
Tumbleseed
Cuphead
Think of the Children
Duke Nukem 3D World Tour

Bad:
Lego Worlds
STRAFE

As for hype, I don't have a lot of hype for next year:
Ion Maiden
Unnamed Yoshi title
Unnamed Kirby title
Wargroove
Amid Evil

User is offline   BestViking 

I don't think I played any 2017 game. Can't think of any, but I'll add one if I do. So I'll post about which ones I'm hyped about instead.

Terraria: Otherworld.

I played the original Terraria when they released it in, I think it was 2011. You can only squeeze so many years worth out of it even with the constant updates. I was very hyped when I heard that a new one was in the works. There has been some changes though, as a new studio was given the task to develop it since the other one didn't deliver. Hopefully, we can expect it within a year or two, but it's impossible to know for sure.

Spelunky 2

We don't know much yet, but considering how much fun I had with the first one(and I still play it from time to time), I doubt I will be disappointed.

Red Dead Redemption 2

Considering that I have both PS4 and PC, I'm in a bit of a dilemma, but I'm going to try to wait it out for an eventual PC release since there is no way the damn PS4 will output a game with that kind of fidelity over 30fps, and 30fps to me is unacceptable for action games where the camera moves quickly.

Can't think of any others at the moment. I play mostly old games.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

None of you have mentioned Breath of the Wild so you're all wrong.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Worst game time sink of 2017.

User is offline   BestViking 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 01 December 2017 - 06:10 AM, said:

None of you have mentioned Breath of the Wild so you're all wrong.

I'm not going to buy a Switch(at the current price) just for one game, and I refuse to have a sub-par experience on the Wii-U, so it will remain on my list for later.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostBestViking, on 01 December 2017 - 06:26 AM, said:

I'm not going to buy a Switch(at the current price) just for one game, and I refuse to have a sub-par experience on the Wii-U, so it will remain on my list for later.

So get it for two games. Super Mario Odyssey is reportedly well worth the money and full of content.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I'm really hoping Project Zero 6 will happen.

I already ordered Xenoblade 2 since I don't want to have a hole in the trilogy, will be waiting on a deal for the console itself. Or if PZ6 happens, I'll just get it the asap.

This post has been edited by Daedolon: 02 December 2017 - 01:14 AM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

The strongest year for games in a really long time. My top 5:

5. Resident Evil 7. For a series that's known for going in bold, new directions, I really enjoyed how faithful Resident Evil 7 was to the PS1-era classics, despite the perspective change. I went in thinking it was going to be an Amnesia-style jump scare-athon, shamelessly appealing to the Youtube crowd, but it was so much more! It doesn't quite stick the landing, losing steam towards the end, and I wish there was more enemy variety, but overall I was pleasantly surprised.

4. Hollow Knight. An instant Oz-produced Metroidvania classic! Hallownest is an fantastic setting, recalling pre-shitty Tim Burton in the best possible way. I'm in love with this game!

3. Divinity: Original Sin 2. Best CRPG since Planescape Torment. After all the studio's struggles, I'm so happy to see Larian enjoy a critical and commercial runaway success. An absurdly generous game that offers a daunting amount of content complimented by an unprecedented amount of reactivity.

2. Mario: Odyssey. The best 3D platformer ever. So polished and manages to remain consistently inventive despite such a small amount of player inputs: you can jump, throw your hat, and move. That's it. The way Nintendo mixes these simple commands together, however, is fucking magic. Odyssey feels like a love letter to the series.

1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild is my favorite gaming experience ever. It's my dream game; systems-heavy, exploration-focused action-adventure, complimented by gorgeous presentation and near-endless surprises. Even after 100 hours, the game simply refuses to stop revealing new things! The game keeps presenting me with situations that throw me off balance; I can’t rely on rote gameplay reflexes. It’s not that I don’t love the familiar, that’s what keeps me coming back to FPS campaigns, but there’s something about how the systems interact, complimented by just the right amount of authored/scripted content and feedback, which I just find myself losing hours to this thing at a time where I can’t afford to stay up late!

I know immersive is a word that gets thrown around too much, but I just find this game engages me in a way that others can’t approach, at least not since the original Thief.

Most anticipated games for 2018:

1. Red Dead Redemption 2
2. Rune: Ragnarok
3. Ion Maiden
4. No Truce With The Furies (read the title again)

View PostLunick, on 30 November 2017 - 07:49 PM, said:

Good:
Ion Maiden Beta

So jealous. :D

No love for Prey 2017? While I agree that it shouldn't have been called Prey, it's a good game on its own. I love the freedom of movement, the story that compels you to discover WTF is going on, and it's absolutely spectacular if displayed in stereoscopy on an HMD, especially the zero-G sections.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

The good:

- Prey: nice System Shock-revival, its financial failure really saddens me.
- Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus: it's not as good as TNO but it's a very solid sequel with very good storytelling and really fun shooting mechanics + a lot of nice extra gameplay thanks to the übercommander hunting.
- Outcast: Second Contant: while it does not really live up to modern gaming standards it's still a great remake to a classic title. How they visually re-imagined all the locations was just a treat to see and the atmosphere is still amazing.

The bad:

- Quake Champions: this one I simply don't get, it looks like id made a game to the old Quake 3 crowd and nobody else. It's still in early access so there is hope for improvements but as it stands QC is a game you can only get into if you played the shit out of Q3 back in the day.

The hyped:

- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. Igarashi returns to the formula he created and without the shackles of Konami this game is destined be awesome as fuck.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 08 December 2017 - 06:36 AM

User is offline   axl 

The good:

I only played these two:

- Dark Souls 3: the ringed city: a great dlc for an incredible game.
- Uncharted: the lost legacy: good game... although nothing really new...

And on my to do list:

- Evil Within 2: loved the original and the second one gets really good reviews;
- Prey
- Wolfenstein 2

Hyped:

- Metro: Exodus;
- Ion Maiden;
- System Shock (remake);
- Black Mesa;
- Red Dead Redemption 2;
- The Last of Us Part II.

This post has been edited by axl: 08 December 2017 - 09:34 AM

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostZaxx, on 08 December 2017 - 06:34 AM, said:

The good:

- Prey: nice System Shock-revival, its financial failure really saddens me.
- Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus: it's not as good as TNO but it's a very solid sequel with very good storytelling and really fun shooting mechanics + a lot of nice extra gameplay thanks to the übercommander hunting.
- Outcast: Second Contant: while it does not really live up to modern gaming standards it's still a great remake to a classic title. How they visually re-imagined all the locations was just a treat to see and the atmosphere is still amazing.

The bad:

- Quake Champions: this one I simply don't get, it looks like id made a game to the old Quake 3 crowd and nobody else. It's still in early access so there is hope for improvements but as it stands QC is a game you can only get into if you played the shit out of Q3 back in the day.

The hyped:

- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. Igarashi returns to the formula he created and without the shackles of Konami this game is destined be awesome as fuck.

I don't agree with your "Quake Champions is bad" thing.

This game is one of the most fastpaced test of skill fps released in years. Definitely at point basically breath of fresh air, due to how different in gameplay it feels to many of other modern shooters. It is however in utterly broken state currently though with multiple lacking features etc.. but the base idea for this game is good. It's Quake with added element, champions with unique stats & ability. Core gameplay is still what Quake/arena/classic fps is supposed to and that is resource management.

As for the thread.. I can't really put detailed list but I'll try come up with something.

The Good
  • Quake Champions
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Tekken 7 (haven't played but am interested in)

The Bad
  • PUBG (overrated much?)

Hyped
  • Ion Maiden (Bombshell prequel)

This post has been edited by spessu_sb: 15 December 2017 - 06:52 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View Postspessu_sb, on 15 December 2017 - 06:50 PM, said:

I don't agree with your "Quake Champions is bad" thing.

This game is one of the most fastpaced test of skill fps released in years. Definitely at point basically breath of fresh air, due to how different in gameplay it feels to many of other modern shooters. It is however in utterly broken state currently though with multiple lacking features etc.. but the base idea for this game is good. It's Quake with added element, champions with unique stats & ability. Core gameplay is still what Quake/arena/classic fps is supposed to and that is resource management.

The core gameplay is good, the problem is that the netcode is utter garbage. A Quake game needs perfect netcode in 2017 and that is something QC can't provide yet. I played the game a lot in the last few weeks, I'm an absolute noob to the Quake 3 style online arena shooter (I was an Unreal guy back in the day) and the netcode kicked my ass the most so far. You see, it's pretty hard to properly learn strafe jumping when the rubber banding constantly repositions your character and resets your speed so even nailing down the core movement system of the game posed a bigger challenge than it should have.

New players are the life blood of any new game and as it stands QC is old school to the point that you have to learn everything the hard way. I know how that goes from UT, I can take it and won't stop playing the game but newbies who've never played anything like this before are running away scared. The tutorial is absolutely worthless because it talks nothing about the movement, the ideal usage of weapons, pickup timers, map logic etc. so you're going in blindly, get destroyed by Quake 3 / Quake Live veterans a LOT (:D) and that's how you learn the game. There is no skill-based matchmaking (at least now we have ranked duel but well, a newbie won't play duel) and the playerbase is small and mostly composed of experienced Quake players so it's exceptionally hard to get your bearings. The maps are also a problem: almost every single map is highly vertical while a new player needs maps with mostly horizontal, fun gameplay, that's what pulls you in. At least now they added the new duel map to the DM and TDM rotation so newbies will have a fast paced map with a lot of narrow corridors (easy aiming) where they can have fun shooting rockets and watching lots of gibs flying around. ;)

I'm seeing the improvements (after playing with the newest patch I no longer think that the game is bad, it's promising) but I honestly can't recommend the game to anyone who's new to arena shooters because it will only scare them away from the genre. It's a shame because when the game actually works and you start improving it's rewarding and insanely fun.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 15 December 2017 - 09:10 PM

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostZaxx, on 15 December 2017 - 09:04 PM, said:

The core gameplay is good, the problem is that the netcode is utter garbage. A Quake game needs perfect netcode in 2017 and that is something QC can't provide yet. I played the game a lot in the last few weeks, I'm an absolute noob to the Quake 3 style online arena shooter (I was an Unreal guy back in the day) and the netcode kicked my ass the most so far. You see, it's pretty hard to properly learn strafe jumping when the rubber banding constantly repositions your character and resets your speed so even nailing down the core movement system of the game posed a bigger challenge than it should have.

New players are the life blood of any new game and as it stands QC is old school to the point that you have to learn everything the hard way. I know how that goes from UT, I can take it and won't stop playing the game but newbies who've never played anything like this before are running away scared. The tutorial is absolutely worthless because it talks nothing about the movement, the ideal usage of weapons, pickup timers, map logic etc. so you're going in blindly, get destroyed by Quake 3 / Quake Live veterans a LOT (;)) and that's how you learn the game. There is no skill-based matchmaking (at least now we have ranked duel but well, a newbie won't play duel) and the playerbase is small and mostly composed of experienced Quake players so it's exceptionally hard to get your bearings. The maps are also a problem: almost every single map is highly vertical while a new player needs maps with mostly horizontal, fun gameplay, that's what pulls you in. At least now they added the new duel map to the DM and TDM rotation so newbies will have a fast paced map with a lot of narrow corridors (easy aiming) where they can have fun shooting rockets and watching lots of gibs flying around. B)

I'm seeing the improvements (after playing with the newest patch I no longer think that the game is bad, it's promising) but I honestly can't recommend the game to anyone who's new to arena shooters because it will only scare them away from the genre. It's a shame because when the game actually works and you start improving it's rewarding and insanely fun.
You are completely correct. It does not teach you what you need to know. I'm an experienced quaker (not a vet) so I know the important things already. But someone who is new like you, you're out of luck indeed and that Should Not be the case. It is one of the many things wrong with the development of this game. Too many corners been cut for whatever reason. Game has enormous potential but then there's all these shortcomings which build-up to quite a list and end up brining the whole thing down sadly :/

I've been rooting for having skillbased matchmaking since day1 because I know it as a fact that an Arena Shooter in 2017 just simply won't work without such system. Without this system it's just onesided stomp that benefits neither side really. So it is an absolute must and not a if or maybe, for inorder to have any sort of longterm playerbase growth to match different skilled players accordingly. Skillgaps between players in Quake can be so drastic.

To learn the quake movement and rules, you don't have to use QC for that. If you have Q3, QL (QL was given to free for anyone who played it in steam) or Q4 you can simply just use those as the same principles apply accross Quake 1-QC :D As someone who learned this stuff on my own in 2014 via tutorials.. it's not that hard once you "get it". It's just the initial reaction you'll get the "wtf this is?". But really once you understand how the system works, it becomes second nature and just is so rewarding and fun to utilize. Not to mention, has limitless skillceiling in how much you can do stuff with it. Sky and your reflexes are only the limit really with quake movement system.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options