• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

User is offline   Sanek 

Finally bought WT on sale...
I didn't play the new episode yet, just checking the port and listening to devs commenary.

-The new renderer is not good in my opinion. Some colored lights looks nice I guess, but the original levels and the whole game with it's low-res textures and sprites doesn't match up with all that 3D lighting. I play it on my laptop right now, and the framerate is so low that's impossible to play. I turned the thing off so I can play the game properly.

-Mouse behavior just feels off

-They changed the red cross signs on medkits for some reason.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostSanek, on 25 November 2017 - 12:07 PM, said:

In the original DOS version the mouse is more sensible the closer the crosshair is to the horizon. This is because it used a tangent instead of an angle to calculate the vertical movement of the mouse. Unfortunately World Tour did not bother in fixing this.

It's a copyrighted symbol of the Red Cross.

User is offline   Paul B 

Would it be infringing on copyright to publicly publish World Tour's Art files? Probably a dumb question.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 25 November 2017 - 09:24 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostPaul B, on 25 November 2017 - 09:04 PM, said:

Would it be infringing on copyright to publicly publish World Tour's Art files?

http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/eula/

I say yes, you'd break the license agreement :D

This post has been edited by Hank: 25 November 2017 - 10:21 PM

User is offline   NNC 

Finally bought WT on sale...
I didn't play the new episode yet, just checking the port and listening to devs commenary.

-The new renderer is not good in my opinion. Some colored lights looks nice I guess, but the original levels and the whole game with it's low-res textures and sprites doesn't match up with all that 3D lighting. I play it on my laptop right now, and the framerate is so low that's impossible to play. I turned the thing off so I can play the game properly.

Interesting that some people have different priorities. When I heard about the new episode I immediately jumped into it without even waiting an hour and didn't care about anything else. When I finished every level at least 3 times, I started caring about the also ran stuff like the weak coding of the new enemies or the change of red cross.

User is offline   axl 

View PostNancsi, on 26 November 2017 - 03:01 AM, said:

Interesting that some people have different priorities. When I heard about the new episode I immediately jumped into it without even waiting an hour and didn't care about anything else. When I finished every level at least 3 times, I started caring about the also ran stuff like the weak coding of the new enemies or the change of red cross.

Likewise. A new episode by the original makers? Seemed like a no brainer to me ! I actually set my alarm clock in the middle of the night, so I could play the new episode immediately at release :D

There's a few games that I will love forever and whenever there's new official stuff, I will buy it blindly... This goes for Classic Doom, Duke Nukem 3D and Blood 1.

User is offline   Sanek 

A new episode is the major reason I bought the game, but before I'll play new maps I want to check out the new port and stuff like that. The way I play the game is my business only. I'll play the new episode tomorrow if you don't mind. :D

User is offline   NNC 

View PostSanek, on 26 November 2017 - 05:27 AM, said:

A new episode is the major reason I bought the game, but before I'll play new maps I want to check out the new port and stuff like that. The way I play the game is my business only. I'll play the new episode tomorrow if you don't mind. :D

I don't mind anything, just said we have different priorities.

User is offline   Sanek 

The mini-Overlords seems to have the infinite amount of health. Does anybody encounter bug like that?

User is offline   Hank 

View PostSanek, on 27 November 2017 - 03:13 AM, said:

The mini-Overlords seems to have the infinite amount of health. Does anybody encounter bug like that?

Sure.
https://forums.duke4...post__p__265236
and
https://forums.duke4...post__p__265237

But it's been a year, and I doubt it will get fixed up.

User is offline   Newken 

WT for $5 at Chrono.gg

Damn that agood deal

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View PostFox, on 20 November 2017 - 11:55 AM, said:

The big Battle Lord could never be shrunk, as you can see in GAME.CON

Not to mention, there are no shrinker pickups yet at that point of the game

View PostPaul B, on 20 November 2017 - 05:38 PM, said:

Well call me crazy, I loaded my saved game and shrunk the Battle Lord Sentry first try. Thinking it was fluke, I repeated the process and it he shrunk again.

Did you by any chance have autoaim turned on the first time? I find it makes shrinking the mini battlelords pretty much impossible unless you shoot them at an angle

View PostPaul B, on 20 November 2017 - 09:01 PM, said:

I was eager to figure out how I could upload my custom Duke Nukem 3D maps into the World Tour Workshop to play online Multi player... something I have been waiting to do for 20 years. It appears some people have actually posted a few maps in the Word Tour Workshop but there is absolutely NO MEANS of playing these maps in Multi-player Death match or Co-op.

Launch the game. Skip the intro. Hit Multiplayer. Hit Create Lobby. Hit the Level tab. Go through the Episode until you reach Workshop Maps. Create your game.

Duke 20th anniversary doesn't have the automatic download like megaton, so players has to have the map installed when they enter the lobby.

This post has been edited by Redxplatinum: 02 December 2017 - 09:37 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I finally finished the new episode. Overall the maps are pretty high quality. IMO there are higher quality user maps. Some of the maps were better than others but overall it was a good package worth the sale I got it in, even though I don't have a strong urge to use the port again any time soon. Most of the new Duke Talk wasn't as bad as I expected, especially once you get used to it, however the bad bits are really bad. The pain sounds come to mind.

As for the maps themselves, several of them felt really small in scope. There are several maps where you visit famous cities but don't visit any locations that are recognizable besides seeing them in the skybox texture. For example it would have been great in Tour de Nukem (a play on words I assume of the Tour Eiffel or Eiffel Tower), you'd actually gotten to visit some place such as the Eiffel Tower or Louvre or one of the many other famous destinations. Several of the other maps also suffer from this problem, unlike Duke it Out in DC which revolved around this concept. As a result in terms of conceptual grandness and scope they feel unambitious. Sure they're fun and high polished (at least from a visual point of view), but for a commercial product I would have expected them to push the boundaries a bit more.

Contrary to the above, Golden Carnage did this very well. It finally visited a famous landmark, employed original concepts of progression, and used the limitations of the engine as a source of creativity (i.e the map wouldn't have been as good if the bridge was 3D and intact instead of in the water). The 5th element reference was also very nicely done. More maps should have been been creative with recognizable components as opposed to being vaguely related to them. Also the lack of connect and consistency between the maps didn't make it feel like an "episode" as much as a collection of user maps. I got the slight impression that the game was using the pop culture power of recognizable locations as a crutch, which I hope won't be the case with the franchise going forward. I realize this paragraph is somewhat self-contradictory, but what I'm saying is if you're going to include a bunch of references in the game, do them cleverly and creatively instead of haphazardly lumping them together.

On the other hand, there were some nice touches such as being able to blow up panels on the Hollywood sign, and the incinerator filled a niche in the weapon wheel well enough.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostRedxplatinum, on 02 December 2017 - 08:55 AM, said:

Launch the game. Skip the intro. Hit Multiplayer. Hit Create Lobby. Hit the Level tab. Go through the Episode until you reach Workshop Maps. Create your game.

Duke 20th anniversary doesn't have the automatic download like megaton, so players has to have the map installed when they enter the lobby.

I don't recall seeing workshop maps under the multi-player section, only under the single player option. I'l give this a shot when I have some time, I must have missed this. Thanks for the feedback!

This post has been edited by Paul B: 05 December 2017 - 06:39 AM

User is offline   NNC 

View PostMicky C, on 05 December 2017 - 03:31 AM, said:

I finally finished the new episode. Overall the maps are pretty high quality. IMO there are higher quality user maps. Some of the maps were better than others but overall it was a good package worth the sale I got it in, even though I don't have a strong urge to use the port again any time soon. Most of the new Duke Talk wasn't as bad as I expected, especially once you get used to it, however the bad bits are really bad. The pain sounds come to mind.

As for the maps themselves, several of them felt really small in scope. There are several maps where you visit famous cities but don't visit any locations that are recognizable besides seeing them in the skybox texture. For example it would have been great in Tour de Nukem (a play on words I assume of the Tour Eiffel or Eiffel Tower), you'd actually gotten to visit some place such as the Eiffel Tower or Louvre or one of the many other famous destinations. Several of the other maps also suffer from this problem, unlike Duke it Out in DC which revolved around this concept. As a result in terms of conceptual grandness and scope they feel unambitious. Sure they're fun and high polished (at least from a visual point of view), but for a commercial product I would have expected them to push the boundaries a bit more.

Contrary to the above, Golden Carnage did this very well. It finally visited a famous landmark, employed original concepts of progression, and used the limitations of the engine as a source of creativity (i.e the map wouldn't have been as good if the bridge was 3D and intact instead of in the water). The 5th element reference was also very nicely done. More maps should have been been creative with recognizable components as opposed to being vaguely related to them. Also the lack of connect and consistency between the maps didn't make it feel like an "episode" as much as a collection of user maps. I got the slight impression that the game was using the pop culture power of recognizable locations as a crutch, which I hope won't be the case with the franchise going forward. I realize this paragraph is somewhat self-contradictory, but what I'm saying is if you're going to include a bunch of references in the game, do them cleverly and creatively instead of haphazardly lumping them together.

On the other hand, there were some nice touches such as being able to blow up panels on the Hollywood sign, and the incinerator filled a niche in the weapon wheel well enough.

Just like in the original 4 episodes, Allen Blum pushed the boundaries more in his maps (considering concept, layout, scale). Levelord's maps are like his square maps in Shrapnel City, just more polished and detailed. Tour de Nukem deserves credit for reusing the concept of Levelord's Sewer map.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostRedxplatinum, on 02 December 2017 - 08:55 AM, said:

Okay, I finally got around re-checking the Multi-player menu system and the option for Workshop maps just isn't there under Multiplayer on my install. Can anyone else confirm if they have the option to choose workshop maps from the World Tour Multi-player game menu?

As Duke would say.... "Hmmm. I don't have time to play with myself".

*** Updated *** Okay I figured it out. You need to subscribe to a Workshop map in the Steam Workshop before the Workshop option becomes available. Ooops! My mistake, Gearbox's fault!

Seriously, the documentation for the World Tour Workshop and how to upload a map is scarce. I guess we should automatically be able to read the minds of the developers.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 10 December 2017 - 01:52 PM

User is offline   Lee Jackson 

• Composer

If anyone is interested, a DN3D:World Tour production item souvenir is for sale:

https://dleejackson....lity-at-a-cost/

User is offline   Poorchop 

I think I'm in the minority in that I really love the new lightning. It makes the game seem so much less bleak and sort of adds character. The glowing matinee sign and the "backlit" movie posters in the first map really stand out in a good way for example. I tried to force myself to play through the classic episodes in World Tour but I just couldn't handle it after a certain point. As others mentioned, mouse look feels incredibly off. The weapon switching system is awful. The inability to bind mouse thumb buttons is a massive deal breaker for me. Every FPS has had those bindings available for years so I don't understand why the option isn't in World Tour.

I'm incredibly disappointed that I didn't know about Megaton Edition before it was pulled from stores. Why coudln't it have just been bundled with World Tour? Some of my friends play Duke multiplayer but they all use Megaton Edition since I'm apparently the only person who plays Duke but doesn't own Megaton. I think the new episode in World Tour is great but I would gladly trade it all for a chance to purchase Megaton Edition.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostPoorchop, on 26 December 2017 - 07:20 PM, said:

Why coudln't it have just been bundled with World Tour?

I can think of a few reasons.

1. It'd probably confuse and/or annoy some players, having multiple versions of the same game to choose from, and having to choose different versions for different features.
2. World Tour was kind of sold as the ultimate version of the game, and including an older re-release goes against this.
3. If people are getting Megaton in a bundle of any kind, they'd have to pay Termit, Devolver, the eduke32 guys and anyone else who had involvement in the code.

I imagine point 3 is by far the biggest. The whole point of putting in so much effort was so that they could keep the profit. Example: They didn't even offer a small discount to Megaton owners, whereas other companies have given away entire re-releases for free to those who had the old copy.

Randy claimed we were paying entirely for the new episode. However, this is clearly false as they would want to be compensated for the work invested in building the port itself, which is largely independent of the new episode. I'm not saying it isn't a valid reason, but it's certainly not the whole story.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Randy already said on Twitter that it was illegal for Megaton to include the add-ons. They had to cut all ties to it.

They should have at least put more effort into releasing a product that matched the previous edition. The complaints are rampant about features that have been removed. I don't like texture filtering in my old games but a lot of people seemed to like it in Megaton Edition, yet it's nonexistent in World Tour. Of course I don't need to continue writing what everyone already knows.

Also saying that people who really wanted it already have it is patently false. I really want it and I'm willing to pay what they're asking for World Tour, yet I can't get it. If Randy "let it go" for so many years, then why remove it now? The answer it pretty obvious as per Micky's list above but I'm annoyed nonetheless. Playing through the regular campaign recently was one of my most enjoyable gaming experiences in decades and all I'm asking for is the opportunity to enjoy the three additional campaigns that came with Megaton. Being able to play multiplayer with my friends would just be a nice bonus.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Megaton wasn't a bundle of joy. I haven't finished any of the expansions and I don't feel like I've missed anything. There were loads of network and control issues.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

At least they were available for the first time since they were released finally for those who wanted them. Now they're back to abandonware. Caribbean Vacation was pretty good. As was DC. The only one that was garbage was Nuclear Winter. And what version of Duke3D DOESN'T have network issues?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 29 December 2017 - 08:54 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Nuclear Winter wasn't complete garbage. It was "lazy & cheap" - mostly because the first two levels being remakes of e1l1 & e1l2. The game play was good enough though. Time heals wounds and I think people are a little more tolerant of original remakes now than they were back then. The third level is a Doom rip-off & the falling down well-like portals is annoying as fuck, as well as a cheap way to expand the length of a map. The fifth level is kinda, 'meh' for visuals and game-play. The 4th, 6th, & boss fight are good.

This post has been edited by Forge: 29 December 2017 - 11:53 AM

Network issues or not, Megaton still seems like the de facto standard for network play. I found out about Duke Matcher yesterday and I also gave Meltdown a shot but I regret it because those installers seemed kind of fishy. Plus I couldn't find any games.

I've read a lot of negative things about Nuclear Winter but like it or not, seems to me like it's a part of Duke history especially since it was part of a major release. Is it theoretically even possible to play those other episodes online for people who don't have Megaton? I didn't do a ton of exploring but I don't remember seeing any option to launch custom maps over multiplayer with eduke.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostFox, on 27 December 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

Randy already said on Twitter that it was illegal for Megaton to include the add-ons. They had to cut all ties to it.

I don't think that's what he's saying... I think he means that (in his/Gearbox's view) Megaton was a violation of the agreement between 3DR and Gearbox regarding Duke rights - not that they didn't get rights for the add-ons.

View PostPoorchop, on 29 December 2017 - 06:56 PM, said:

Network issues or not, Megaton still seems like the de facto standard for network play. I found out about Duke Matcher yesterday and I also gave Meltdown a shot but I regret it because those installers seemed kind of fishy. Plus I couldn't find any games.

I've read a lot of negative things about Nuclear Winter but like it or not, seems to me like it's a part of Duke history especially since it was part of a major release. Is it theoretically even possible to play those other episodes online for people who don't have Megaton? I didn't do a ton of exploring but I don't remember seeing any option to launch custom maps over multiplayer with eduke.

In my experience, Megaton had more network issues and lag issues than the old JFDuke/EDuke32 multiplayer. I'm pretty sure that, at the time it came out, I remember other people stating the same.

Nuclear Winter is far from great, but I found it well worth playing, a few times even. Some maps are pretty awful, but some are better.
The World Tour episode beats all the Megaton expansions IMO, but it would still be nice to have them after you're done with the base game. Of course, I still have Megaton, but for the ones who don't.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Finally picked this up yesterday. Nice to finally have Lee's recordings. Too bad they're OGG only, though. :D Only played a bit of LA Meltdown so haven't gotten to Ep5 yet. Having too much fun with Turok 2 at the moment which I also finally picked up yesterday.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostPoorchop, on 27 December 2017 - 09:43 PM, said:

They should have at least put more effort into releasing a product that matched the previous edition. The complaints are rampant about features that have been removed. I don't like texture filtering in my old games but a lot of people seemed to like it in Megaton Edition, yet it's nonexistent in World Tour. Of course I don't need to continue writing what everyone already knows.

Also saying that people who really wanted it already have it is patently false. I really want it and I'm willing to pay what they're asking for World Tour, yet I can't get it. If Randy "let it go" for so many years, then why remove it now? The answer it pretty obvious as per Micky's list above but I'm annoyed nonetheless. Playing through the regular campaign recently was one of my most enjoyable gaming experiences in decades and all I'm asking for is the opportunity to enjoy the three additional campaigns that came with Megaton. Being able to play multiplayer with my friends would just be a nice bonus.

You can still get Megaton Edition through grey market sites like G2A, just be prepared that it will be expensive as fuck because the sellers there are vultures. Hey, Ukranian credit card thieves and drug dealers have to eat too!

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 30 December 2017 - 10:19 PM

Share this topic:

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options