User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Jace Hall just gave a sorta-kinda update on that Blood revival thing:
https://twitter.com/...462443475173376

User is offline   Tekedon 

View PostZaxx, on 01 December 2017 - 12:54 AM, said:

So it's NOT dead :D cool. I wonder how long this'll take though.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostSixty Four, on 17 November 2017 - 09:10 PM, said:

A few people have asked me this now and I have had people tell me they quit MAPEDIT because they couldn't copy paste on top of everything else. I just wanted to post this here too. I'm sure some people already know. But I see a lot of questions how to copy paste a sector inside an existing sector for Blood. I have a small video and other stuff lol.

https://duke64nukem....inside-sectors/

https://www.youtube....h?v=a_eTSzK6W88

View PostHigh Treason, on 18 November 2017 - 05:33 PM, said:

I can do it faster, it works the same way in Mapster32;
https://www.youtube....h?v=bLhWbOOc17Q

One has to wonder why DOSBox captures invariably look shit. Either way, both methods are valid, yours has the advantage of keeping the outer textures whereas mine sometimes loses them as you're inheriting the properties of the formerly white wall, so it's faster if you only want to keep the inner geometry. Also, after filling in the first quadrilateral shaped red area on the left, you could just draw over the inverted-C-shaped piece in one go or even Alt-S it to save time and walls, might be useful if you're close to the limit and don't have enough left to create the other walls temporarily.

These days you can do it in mapster instantly. For several years now if you dump a sector in another sector (and it isn't touching any pre-existing walls) then it'll ask if you'd like to paste it, to which you simply press "Y" for yes and it does all the work for you. Sure, this way doesn't copy the outer textures, however if you draw a sector around your sector of interest before doing this process, then the outer sectors will be copied.

IIRC this might have been one of the features I requested and Helix implemented back when he was active.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostTekedon, on 01 December 2017 - 04:36 AM, said:

So it's NOT dead :D cool. I wonder how long this'll take though.

Well, that's anyone's guess, after 1 and a half years of nothing I was sure as shit it's dead.

User is offline   axl 

View PostZaxx, on 01 December 2017 - 12:54 AM, said:

Aha nice find. Let's hope he'll eventually works things out and that the source code will be released as well (although that's unlikely since jace never really made any intentions in the past to do so).

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Well, he missed the window of opportunity for a "Blood 20th Anniversary Edition", I can't say I'm hopeful.

Oh well, at least we're in a better state than with Rise of the Triad, a game which did have its source code released.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostPhredreeke, on 08 December 2017 - 04:43 PM, said:

Well, he missed the window of opportunity for a "Blood 20th Anniversary Edition", I can't say I'm hopeful.

Oh well, at least we're in a better state than with Rise of the Triad, a game which did have its source code released.

ROTT is weird. :D I never understood how that game is supposed to have a fanbase, I mean there are a few good ideas in there (dual wielding pistols, the stupid weapons and power ups, enemies begging for their lives) but the game itself is just not very good. The gameplay quickly becomes uninteresting (the jokes don't last that long), the level design is terrible to the point where it becomes tiresome, the actual gameplay mechanics are nothing special and the weird platforming is annoying as hell. It's just not a game that is worth revisiting.

The remake was pretty good though, at least when it didn't run like shit and when there was no platforming. ;)

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 14 December 2017 - 08:47 PM

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostZaxx, on 14 December 2017 - 08:44 PM, said:

ROTT is weird. ;) I never understood how that game is supposed to have a fanbase, I mean there are a few good ideas in there (dual wielding pistols, the stupid weapons and power ups, enemies begging for their lives) but the game itself is just not very good. The gameplay quickly becomes uninteresting (the jokes don't last that long), the level design is terrible to the point where it becomes tiresome, the actual gameplay mechanics are nothing special and the weird platforming is annoying as hell. It's just not a game that is worth revisiting.

The remake was pretty good though, at least when it didn't run like shit and when there was no platforming. B)

I actually like the original but not the remake, shitty checkpoint locations and buggy savegame system ruined the whole game for me, never completed the game even once and I even want to refund but impossible(refund didn't exist on 2013 and already played > 2 hours...), but the remake isn't that bad, just...I would like play the original instead. I guess everyone has their own taste, isn't it? :D

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 15 December 2017 - 06:32 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Death Wish has been updated to v1.4 and I'm done (re)playing through it.

It has some nice changes throughout, mostly fixes and re-balancing but there also some other bigger changes. It also adds 2 new secret maps, each coming with its own new transition map once you beat it that brings you back where you'd left off had you not gone through the secret map.

The 2 new secret maps though are some of Bloatoid's older standalone maps so they're nothing new. The new transition maps are cool though.

User is offline   Master O 

View PostZaxx, on 01 December 2017 - 09:26 AM, said:

Well, that's anyone's guess, after 1 and a half years of nothing I was sure as shit it's dead.

When you're dealing with a giant corporation like Warner Brothers, anything bureaucratic goes slowly. I suppose lawyers really do ruin everything they touch.

This post has been edited by Master O: 15 December 2017 - 09:43 PM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Has anyone tried out the 3dfx version of Blood?

My previous experience with 3dfx had been limited to Shadow Warrior, which lead me to assume that a 3dfx version is nothing more than a historical curiosity of no practical value. However, recently I got Tomb Raider from GOG.com and realised that a 3dfx version of a DOS game has at least the following potential advantages:

1. By passing the rendering to the host machine's video card, it takes off quite some strain from DOSBox emulation. I have tried running TR in the latest build of DOSBox SVN Daum at 640x480 with both the 3dfx version via built-in Glide emulation and software mode version with CPU cycles limited to 77000 (which according to the DOSBox Wiki is an approximation of a Pentium 100). While the 3dfx version has no obvious speed issues, in software mode the game lags noticeably.

2. Both DOSBox SVN Daum's built-in Glide dll and nGlide can render the screen at any desired resolution subject only to limitations from the host video card.

Since Blood is a resource-heavy game, I was thinking that perhaps the 3dfx version could help solve at least some of the speed issues. Of course, the drawback is that voxels will not work, and there may be some other issues.

Here are the patches (no shareware patch sadly):

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMrFlibble, on 05 January 2018 - 04:56 AM, said:

snip

If I remember correctly 3dfx support for Blood was never really finished so honestly I think you'll just waste your time with it. Why not use BloodGDX instead?

User is offline   axl 

View PostMrFlibble, on 05 January 2018 - 04:56 AM, said:

Has anyone tried out the 3dfx version of Blood?

I remember it being quite buggy (parallaxed skies all messed up and all). I also remember being amazed because it had texture filtering and back then, we thought it made the game look better. Nowadays I find texture filtering in these old games ugly as hell :D

User is offline   leilei 

3dfx Blood/SW isn't as advantageous as you think it is. It's still a software renderer, only with the wall spans slowly being tortured through the PCI bus to a 3dfx card to make those 3dcard-spoiled suckers feeling content. It was a product of an embarrassing "no more pixelation! pixel's must die!!!! pcs about 3dfx. any 2d software games arent worth playing EVER" time. It also only works on the Voodoo Graphics and not any other 3dfx card therefore it's only stuck to 512x384/640x480 ever and any attempt to upscale from that in a wrapper (given it's a software renderer still) would have PSX syndrome...

This post has been edited by leilei: 07 January 2018 - 10:11 AM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

So Cryptic Passage was almost called "Passage to Transylvania".

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostDaedolon, on 07 January 2018 - 11:08 AM, said:

Haha, that cover is awesome in a very, very bad way. :DD

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 08 January 2018 - 08:41 AM

View PostDaedolon, on 07 January 2018 - 11:08 AM, said:

This cover is basically this trope in graphic form.

http://tvtropes.org/...AgeOfComicBooks

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Here's an awesome metal cover to Infuscomus from the Blood OST by Michael Markie:

Does anyone here know the damage values of the weapons in Blood, based on the damage they deal to another player?

new gggman vid

View PostZaxx, on 01 December 2017 - 09:26 AM, said:

Yeah, Jace has said several times that the process would be incredibly slow.
He's made the same comments about how work is progressing on continuing the Condemned series.

He won't say that it's dead, or work has stopped. He just replies that it's moving very slow.

User is offline   ryche 

I remember he was actively trying. Nice to hear he's still working on his Blood project or whatever you want to call it. I'd love to see the source released or at least have it properly updated for modern machines to run it natively minus dosbox.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

It really seems like that Jace Hall failed in getting those rights back:
https://twitter.com/...296053490409472
Fuck...

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 14 March 2018 - 08:05 AM

User is offline   cybdmn 

I wouldn‘t expect that anything changes to that subject in the near future. I guess the best chance to play Blood on modern systems is maybe BloodGDX, or someone who reverse engineer Blood, like it was done with Strife.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

What's the point of sitting on a license and doing nothing with it? Give it to someone that cares for it, ffs...

User is offline   Sanek 

Perhaps WB didn't think that Blood IP is all that valuable. Movies based on video games generally suck, and besides...the Blood title itself is extremely generic. You can't make much money with such a title. :)

User is offline   axl 

View PostZaxx, on 14 March 2018 - 08:05 AM, said:

It really seems like that Jace Hall failed in getting those rights back:
https://twitter.com/...296053490409472
Fuck...

Damn... another great game stuck in limbo... If I'm not mistaken WB was also (co-)responsable for stopping the re-release of the No One Lives Forever games by Night Dive Studios...

Sad indeed.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNightFright, on 14 March 2018 - 08:25 AM, said:

What's the point of sitting on a license and doing nothing with it? Give it to someone that cares for it, ffs...

The point is that any IP a company owns makes that company more valuable so selling Blood to someone would not be worth it for WB even if they think that the IP itself is worthless and they don't want to do anything with it. A strong company doesn't sell IPs.

There are two things I don't understand:

1. Why don't they just license it instead of selling it. For example if I remember correctly 3D Realms still owns the Shadow Warrior IP, they just licensed it to Devolver so Devolver could continue the franchise.

2. It would make sense for WB to do something with Blood. The old school FPS is popular now, WB has no currently running FPS franchises and they own a lot of properties that could help in bringing back Blood. We're talking about a company that owns stuff like Mortal Kombat, the Nightmare on Elm Street and the Friday 13th IPs (they even have newer stuff like The Conjuring and It), Caleb would surely have a place in there somewhere. For example they announce a Blood reboot that is positioned as an action-horror FPS that salutes the horror genre, it features Freddy Krueger and Jason Voorhees prominently and for some crosspromotion they put Caleb in Mortal Kombat. I'm sure it would be successful and even remastering the original game with a new source port would not be expensive for a company like WB.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 14 March 2018 - 09:52 AM

User is offline   leilei 

That tweet is more of a clarification of the current ownership status. It's not a "I failed!!!! rip blood" announcement. Put your jump-to-conclusions-mat away.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View Postleilei, on 14 March 2018 - 05:41 PM, said:

That tweet is more of a clarification of the current ownership status. It's not a "I failed!!!! rip blood" announcement. Put your jump-to-conclusions-mat away.

Conclusions? When it comes to Blood you can't jump to conclusions, you're left in a constant state of "hey, maybe something's happening but maybe nothing at all is happening". :) Personally I stopped believing that anything good would come out of this years ago because the way I see it WB doesn't care at all while Jace doesn't care enough. This story was over when Devolver said that they tried but WB's price was too high.

Share this topic:

• 33 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options