Duke4.net Forums: High Resolution Pack discussion and contributions - Duke4.net Forums

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

High Resolution Pack discussion and contributions

User is offline   Tiddalick 

View PostPhredreeke, on 25 November 2017 - 10:42 PM, said:

I don't know how to make skyboxes for BloodGDX. What I can do is process the ones that have a
already been made but that's not ideal. Better would be if I could take the textures used to render the skybox, upscale that, then the skybox could be re-rendered using that.

Well I can help a bit with that. I am no artist, but I can help take the art and make the skybox.

I have access to Pano2VR which has the ability to render a skybox from the input images.
However, there may be a hole that needs to be patched at the very centre of the skybox. Thats where an artist is very useful.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

New skyboxes, thanks to Tiddalick for doing the conversion using Pano2VR. Compatible with Deathwish (and other mods that happen to use the same PLUs)

https://files.fm/f/yfddfftt

https://imgur.com/a/AAeL5

View PostPhredreeke, on 01 December 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

New skyboxes, thanks to Tiddalick for doing the conversion using Pano2VR. Compatible with Deathwish (and other mods that happen to use the same PLUs)

https://files.fm/f/yfddfftt

https://imgur.com/a/AAeL5

Looks great!

I'm impressed how you managed to plug the void spaces so seamlessly.
Have to see how the stretched versions look in comparison when they are done.

Thanks for your continued efforts on upscaling the textures.

User is offline   J432 

Great skyboxes. :D But some transitions from light to dark colors (see for example right top of 8798_FR) seem to me too coarse. I applied a bit of blur effect and like it more that way.

before:
Posted Image

after:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by J432: 02 December 2017 - 02:13 PM

Yes, the fuzz effect is a bit coarse, that's because the script I made wasn't originally for textures as large as the skyboxes. The fuzziness also helps hide artifacts of the upscale process

User is offline   J432 

View PostPhredreeke, on 02 December 2017 - 03:36 PM, said:

Yes, the fuzz effect is a bit coarse, that's because the script I made wasn't originally for textures as large as the skyboxes. The fuzziness also helps hide artifacts of the upscale process

Maybe some additional processing would help. I don't know best solution as I'm not expert on this but for now I'm quite satisfied with applying simple blur effect.

Not necessarily additional processing, just apply the fuzz effect on a larger image then scale down.

New Upscale Pack release with skyboxes (not the same ones I released previously in this thread), color variations (mainly used in Deathwish), new title screen, Monolith logo, help and loading screens, and health/armor numbers.

Upscaled background graphics are not included, but can be used with a simple edit of the BloodGDX.def

Screenshots

Nice work as always Phredreeke!

User is offline   J432 

View PostTiddalick, on 12 December 2017 - 02:02 PM, said:

Nice work as always Phredreeke!

Great. Please, add in the next release also font that is used in submenu settings and user content files. Plus some skyboxes are missing but those remaining look better than before.

This post has been edited by J432: 12 December 2017 - 09:57 PM

User is offline   skitey 

View PostJ432, on 12 December 2017 - 09:15 PM, said:

Great. Please, add in the next release also font that is used in submenu settings and user content files. Plus some skyboxes are missing but those remaining look better than before.

indeed, skyboxes looks better.
use the link in his info file to get the older skyboxes. after that the only skyboxes that are missing:
Error: file "skyboxes\4037_bk.png" does not exist
Error: file "skyboxes\4037_rt.png" does not exist
Error: file "skyboxes\4037_fr.png" does not exist
Error: file "skyboxes\4037_lf.png" does not exist
Error: file "skyboxes\4037_up.png" does not exist
Error: file "skyboxes\4037_dn.png" does not exist

This post has been edited by skitey: 12 December 2017 - 10:57 PM

That particular skybox comes with BloodGDX itself.

The other missing skyboxes were color variations only used in mods to the game.

As for the submenu font, maybe. The font itself never bothered me, just how it turned into a blurry mess once you turned on texture filtering.

User is offline   J432 

View PostPhredreeke, on 13 December 2017 - 03:28 AM, said:

As for the submenu font, maybe. The font itself never bothered me, just how it turned into a blurry mess once you turned on texture filtering.

When some font is polished and other remains the same, the contrast looks inharmonic.

Posted Image

This is IMHO better.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by J432: 13 December 2017 - 05:26 AM

Ok, here's a preliminary upscaled font: http://s000.tinyuplo...729125563815111

User is offline   J432 

View PostPhredreeke, on 13 December 2017 - 09:34 AM, said:

Ok, here's a preliminary upscaled font: http://s000.tinyuplo...729125563815111

Nice, but I would prefer something similar like this font from 6xBRZ pack (was used in screenshot):
http://s000.tinyuplo...734936024383797

It seems to me more sleek and readable. Compare it please and consider what would be better when making final version.

This post has been edited by J432: 13 December 2017 - 04:32 PM

Here's a preview of some texture upscales I've done

The upscale scripts I used for the skyboxes actually developed from the ones I made for these.

Me and Tiddalick have been working on the final skybox.

Here's a preview: https://i.imgur.com/OZdsPeP.png

Now my question, does anyone care that it's offset to the right?

User is offline   skitey 

View PostPhredreeke, on 08 January 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

i think it looks very good :D

User is offline   Nachuro 

The moon looks lovely, and I don't mind the offset. What I'm wondering is if these skyboxes will "wrap around" in the style of the current hi-res skyboxes.

After further testing, I realised that the moon is in a different place in level 4 compared to levels 1, 5, 6 and 9. So no matter what I do the moon will be in the wrong position in at least one level. So I guess I shouldn't get worked up at a slight offset here

User is offline   m210® 

I'm converted HRP from BloodCM and launched it with BloodGDX. I know, it's ugly, but I just want to test a models :D)
Btw, with this HRP BloodGDX requires 512Mb (more 300mb) RAM, therefore it's need to launch jar with parameter -Xmx500m

Attached File(s)

Wait... Launching BloodGDX normally limits the amount of memory it can use?

User is offline   m210® 

View PostPhredreeke, on 09 January 2018 - 05:25 AM, said:

Wait... Launching BloodGDX normally limits the amount of memory it can use?

Yes, VM allocates 256MB by default

so if you got the RAM, is there any reason to not launch the game with -Xmx512m or more?

User is offline   m210® 

View PostPhredreeke, on 09 January 2018 - 05:55 AM, said:

so if you got the RAM, is there any reason to not launch the game with -Xmx512m or more?

I don't know, this is a Java's mind :D But if resources fill the heap size, program will crash, therefore you need launch it with this parameter

User is offline   J432 

Looks nice. :D

View PostM210, on 09 January 2018 - 04:07 AM, said:

I'm converted HRP from BloodCM and launched it with BloodGDX. I know, it's ugly, but I just want to test a models ;))
Btw, with this HRP BloodGDX requires 512Mb (more 300mb) RAM, therefore it's need to launch jar with parameter -Xmx500m

Could you please upload converted HRP to some filesharing service? I would like to try the game with it.

This post has been edited by J432: 09 January 2018 - 10:09 AM

User is offline   m210® 

Ok, but I need to prepare it :dukecigar:

User is offline   J432 

View PostM210, on 09 January 2018 - 10:23 PM, said:

Ok, but I need to prepare it :dukecigar:

Ok, no need to rush. :)

User is offline   Mr. Death 

Could someone possibly upload the non HD skyboxes that were included with the previous versions of BloodGDX (before 0.786)?

I deleted my copy of the previous version (0.785) before realizing that the skyboxes are no longer included :dukecigar:

Thanks for any help!

View PostMr. Death, on 10 January 2018 - 03:55 PM, said:

Could someone possibly upload the non HD skyboxes that were included with the previous versions of BloodGDX (before 0.786)?

I deleted my copy of the previous version (0.785) before realizing that the skyboxes are no longer included :dukecigar:

Thanks for any help!

Attached File  785 Skyboxes .zip (1.03MB)
Number of downloads: 242

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options