Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Shaky Grounds pt2: Tragedy - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Shaky Grounds pt2: Tragedy  "the apocollaptic tale of tragedy continues.."

User is offline   Merlijn 

Having survived the events of part 1: Apocollapse, Duke tries to find his way towards the epicentre of the disaster, located right underneath a local venue called "The Kompleks".

The situation is dire. The alien weapon is recharching for an even bigger blast and time is running out. Duke is the only one close enough to get there before it's too late.
But deep chasms, collapsed buildings and unstable surfaces transformed the city into a very dangerous and hostile environment.

And that's without mentioning the constant assault of ruthless aliens, sent by their mysterious leader Froyd Eenakee..

Attached Image: sgtragedy1.png Attached Image: sgtragedy2.png Attached Image: sgtragedy3.png Attached Image: sgtragedy4.png Attached Image: sgtragedy5.png

Well there it is. Part 2 of the story. Large city hit by a monstrous quake.
Made for classic/polymost, skill settings are present. I hope you guys enjoy! :rolleyes:

DOWNLOAD HERE

User is offline   Maisth 

I've been waiting for this and now it time to PLAY!, thanks a lot for the sequel.

User is offline   Sanek 

Awesome map! The fact that there will be yet another map is ever better! :rolleyes:
I can write a new review, but I'll better just quote my first impression of the map back when I tested it:

"Completed the map in 26 minutes.
In my opinion, Merlijn topped his previous map in terms scope and grandness. The fallen building part is absolutely jaw-dropping, reminds me of Red 4 quite a bit. Villian idea is nice. The only thing I didn't like is the ending, which was a little bit abrupt and not as epic as the previous parts. But nevertheless, the final fight is good. There's also lots of cool explosions, design decisions and special effects, so the map will be a blockbuster without a hitch."

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

As for the ending, I feel like there's going to be a part 3, so perhaps when that's out the series could be viewed as a whole.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the map, had some fantastic details and layouts, with some impressive creativity in places. I disagree with Sanek that it topped part 1 in scope and grandness; IMO they're both at the same standard. But considering how high the standard of the first map was that's saying something, especially since it used the same theme without doing any retreading or feeling unoriginal.

User is offline   quakis 

Congrats on release. Played on CGS, a neat sequel that continues exploring more areas of town affected by the earthquake. There were quite a number of standout moments here such as that battle after leaving the first building as one example, but what caught me off guard was navigating the collapsed building with its sideways interior. For the first time in a long while I felt disorientated because everything felt believable in there. Still need to get around to reviewing this series proper... have had a draft review of the first level sitting in limbo for several months now but other things have been keeping me busy as of late, but we'll see.

User is offline   BestViking 

Played it for a bit. So far it's the kind of impressive quality we can expect from your releases. Loved the Shakespeare jokes, especially "Ham-let". I liked the part where you had to climb to get into the sideways building, which is where I am currently at. Will resume from there and give you more of my impressions as I (hopefully) complete the map.

User is offline   Jolteon 

Got a chance to play this level this morning, and I really enjoyed it. The design was great, just like the previous level, and game play was fun too. I also liked the plot twist at the end as well. Awesome level as always. :excl:

Also I found a secret shortcut...

Spoiler

User is offline   Paul B 

Amazing level, truly a work of art in every aspect! Played and rated @ Duke Maps.net

This post has been edited by Paul B: 27 October 2017 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for the review Paul! And thank you all for the comments. :rolleyes:

@ Micky C: yes, there will be part 3. It will pick up exactly where this one left off.
So once the whole thing is done it will play like 1 enormous map that just happens to be split up into different chapters.

Nevertheless, I think the ending of this map comes at a logical point.

@ Shadow Jolteon: hehe.. Froyd Eenakee can't stop laughing right now. :excl:

User is offline   Ezepov 

Very nice map. Thanks.

User is offline   X-Vector 

If there's no Calculated cameo/reference in this map I'll be sorely disappointed.

View PostX-Vector, on 28 October 2017 - 06:11 AM, said:

If there's no Calculated cameo/reference in this map I'll be sorely disappointed.

hehe.. there isn't actually.
But there's a reference to my other band (Tea Rex) and I made the soundtrack for this map, so no worries. :rolleyes:

User is offline   max_nukem 

Just an amazing map, especially liked to explore the fallen building.
I still wonder why the mappers have so many new ideas for maps.
Big thanks!
I waiting the sequel!

User is offline   darkcaleb 

Hey Merlijn great job there! Enjoyed it allot and that calapsed building look amazingly done :rolleyes: . Brought me somehow the idea from Inception the movie you know! Can't wait for the next one!

Great reference to IT BTW! :excl:

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostMerlijn, on 28 October 2017 - 02:39 AM, said:

Thanks for the review Paul! And thank you all for the comments. :rolleyes:

Yea no problem Merlijn, the pleasure was all mine. I always like to leave room in my comments for areas of improvement. However, with this map there is no room for improvement. You've practically built the best of the best. Even the game play panned out very well, which is impressive to balance that with great architecture. The map really moved me, in a good way. =)

This post has been edited by Paul B: 29 October 2017 - 05:13 AM

I'd hoped to be able to bring some more feedback, but I'm still stuck in the sideways building. Any hints?

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostBestViking, on 29 October 2017 - 06:57 AM, said:

I'd hoped to be able to bring some more feedback, but I'm still stuck in the sideways building. Any hints?

I know exactly where you're stuck because I was stuck there too. I had to turn my head to get past that part. (I think its an awkward jump you're looking for use the light to boost you up).

This post has been edited by Paul B: 29 October 2017 - 07:12 AM

Awesome, thanks for releasing this! The last one was one of the best, can't wait to rock this! Was gonna wait until I played it to post, but I'll just post again afterwards. Kudos!

User is offline   quakis 

Alright, updated that draft I mentioned earlier and posted up my review for pt1; http://taw.duke4.net.../duke3d/shaky1/

I'll try looking into writing a review for this sequel sometime in the near future, there's just a lot on my plate right now.

Thanks for such a detailled and elaborate review, Quakis!
I also really like the screenshots you picked (especially the first one!).
And no need to stress about the review for part 2, we'll see it appear when it's done. :rolleyes:

Funny how both you and Mikko mention retreating during the last fight of part 1. When I designed it, I had a Doom 2016 styled arena battle in mind.
So the most efficient way to tackle it is to simply keep moving, jumping, strafing and shooting until everything is dead. :excl:
(after taking care of the 2 battlelords in the beginning, that is)

I posted a video of me playing through the map a while back, in case you want to see how I play that particular part.

I completed it now. The coffee joke... oh wow! :rolleyes:
The sideways building must have been quite the brain twister to make. I almost became sea-sick at one point.

I really liked how the map developed with that alien part too. Really nice!

heh, thanks for the comments :rolleyes:
Yes, that sideways building was quite challenging but also a lot of fun to construct!

Also, since it's halloween, I decided to add the "It" easter egg on youtube:

User is offline   Maarten 

Time for a reply from ur bro! :P

Very fun map! Had fun times beta testing it & playing it again. I'll keep playing till I found all secrets (found 5 out of 7).
Nice start locations with some real-life based parts which makes it even more special. It has a E1L1, which I believe you was aiming for as well. The whole building feels "free", since you can choose your own way, which feels refreshing :D
My favourite parts are: 1) the location with destroyed room (same room as the coffee-joke) 2)The surprisse act when you enter the BIG outside location (no spoilers ;)). The map feels like your most "real/realistic" maps.
Extra points for all word-jokes, and the 'supa2' joke.

I "love' the anoying boss as well, including the "secret yellow card" room. Mean bastard boss :P
Last alien design parts has a strong Red5 feel.. last alien attacks reminds me of my last 2 maps B)

Looking forward to the next one with "JC Kompleks" :D

Thanks! ;)

To clarify: the Cool theatre is based on a real location in my home town.
And JC Kompleks is a real venue, which will make its way into this map series as well.

Also, the map has been reviewed on MSDN

Also also, I've posted the soundtrack on youtube :D

User is offline   Steambull 

Great job. Very authentic destruction, probably the best I've seen in a city map, and I liked a lot of the interior design due to "clean" use of well-chosen textures. Nice variety in combat ranges, too, and I don't recall having issues with enemy placement or amount on CGS.

User is offline   MetHy 

Great map. Played on CGS, took me half an hour, and found 4/7 secrets.

Not as awe-inspiring as the first map, however there is a great sense of progression. The succession of indoor/outdoor environments flows really well, and there are some really good fights as well and enough freedom of movement and second-paths to satisfy me.
I enjoyed the small jokes as well.

The upside-down destroyed building was a great part, which reminded me of the upside-down train in Wolfenstein TNO, however I got stuck in this corridor for a few mins:
Posted Image

I tried jumping over there but couldn't pull it off so I thought it was a dead end. Only after realizing the other side was a dead-end as well, and changing video mode from classic to polymost, I understood that I was supposed to jump up there. I think the jumps could be a bit easier or more evident (although the sound of the Liztroop above was a clue).

Not a big deal but the only small stain I stumbled on.

Overall it did a good job of making this modern usermap feel like classic Duke: secrets, explosions, second-paths, humor, working lights, etc

Looking forward to the next chapter.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 24 November 2017 - 04:47 AM

Thanks for your feedback Steambull and Methy! :D

@ Steambull: did you also play the first map? It has the same scale of destruction.

@ Methy: you're right about that part with the vertical progression, it's not very evident.
To be honest I kinda painted myself in a corner there, this was the only decent solution I could come up with haha.

I'm glad the classic elements are working, I wanted to have that freedom of exploration and secrets and some smaller scaled indoor stuff.
Maybe I'm just getting old, but it gets a bit tiresome after a while if everything is grand and epic all the time. ;)

Also, I usually design maps for Let's rock, but in this particular map I do prefer the CGS difficulty.

Wow, epic map with a variety of locations with a 'destroyed' feel, and funny jokes everywhere of course :D
The fallen building part was very impressive, clearly has some really skillful mapping there. However, the final hive part is done in a somewhat more rushed and sloppy manner than the rest of the map. Still I'm eager to play the next part someday!

User is offline   Polunka 

Froyd Eenakee made a really big mistake letting Duke escape... :D

View PostJan Satcitananda, on 30 November 2017 - 05:51 AM, said:

Wow, epic map with a variety of locations with a 'destroyed' feel, and funny jokes everywhere of course :D
The fallen building part was very impressive, clearly has some really skillful mapping there. However, the final hive part is done in a somewhat more rushed and sloppy manner than the rest of the map. Still I'm eager to play the next part someday!

Thanks for your feedback! Could you let me know which parts of the hive felt rushed to you? The next map will feature hive sections as well, so it's always good to know. ;)

@ Polunka: Froyd Eenakee is basically every stupid bond/comic book villain combined. B)

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options