Duke4.net Forums: Former SEGA CEO Teams Up with 3D Realms on Shadow Stalkers - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Former SEGA CEO Teams Up with 3D Realms on Shadow Stalkers  "Announced Via a Press Release in July, Episodic, Unreal 4, 2018"

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Hmm... I guess most of us missed this. Back in July, 3D Realms announced they were collaborating on a title called Shadow Stalkers, an episodic, "emergent, action-adventure stealth espionage” game featuring two major Hollywood stars, with the Jordan Freeman Group and ZOOM. Back on that trans-media kick! It's running on UE4, with each episode featuring a guest star, and is set to be released for PC,Mac, Linux, and PS4 in 2018.

There's scant details available beyond the press release.

Scott Miller: “All of us at 3D Realms are super excited to develop this game, which we see as a delicious blend of James Bond, Max Payne, and Hitman, with unique ingredients added in to make it even more tasty. If there’s one thing 3D Realms has a history of, it’s coming up with unique types of gameplay. We plan to put the same innovative efforts into Shadow Stalkers.”

Jordan Freeman: “It is with great pleasure that we announce Shadow Stalkers. We are ecstatic to be collaborating on the project with legendary 3D Realms. As an independent company, 3D Realms’ stellar track record of successful original intellectual properties speaks for itself. From Max Payne to Prey to Duke Nukem, their success is unparalleled. We are also excited to announce that we have been in extended discussions with Xsolla Capital to launch the project.

“Shadow Stalkers will prove monumental in the history of video games for several reasons. It will be the first time ever that a game was conceived directly with the talent first before going to a publisher and it will be the first time a game features guest stars in each episode much like a TV show would. Last but not least, Shadow Stalkers will re-define the Trans-Media Intellectual Property Eco-System by converging entertainment mediums and releasing a successful hybrid product combining the best of all worlds.”

That is certainly interesting, I'll give it a shot. Metal Gear Solid is one of my top fav game series, I can dig some tactical espionage action.

User is offline   ---- 

Sounds interesting.

But forgive me if I am skeptical until I see the product (i.e. several episodes released).

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 20 October 2017 - 11:17 PM

User is offline   X-Vector 

episodic, emergent

Bringing back the '00s.

Last but not least, Shadow Stalkers will re-define the Trans-Media Intellectual Property Eco-System by converging entertainment mediums and releasing a successful hybrid product combining the best of all worlds.

Game Industry 2.1?

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Just a reminder: Bernie Stolar is the same man who said "Saturn is not our future" (1997 E3) what scared away a lot of publishers and greatly contributed to Saturn's death in America, not to mention that his desire to see 3D titles only no matter the quality (which also means no JRPGs are allowed) on both Saturn and PS1 also did a lot of damage to the systems in NA (PS1 in America was a shitshow on launch in term of game library). The only good thing he did was probably a successful Dreamcast launch in NA, but even then he fucked it up at the same time when he denied DVD players for Dreamcast, something what made PS2 a huge success in the first place. Tom Kalinske is perhaps the only SoA's (or the entire SEGA) former CEO who is worth to be proud of.

That said, "Hollywood stars" already looks like a big red flag and sounds like that alone will cost a lot of money considering that even quite horrible VA themselves seems to be very expensive in States (compared to Japanese VA, at least), I find their strike especially hilarious. "Episodic" too doesn't bring any kind of confidence unless this is not another Square Enix "episodic" bullshit.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 21 October 2017 - 10:37 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

What’s so special about Hollywood actors? They’ve already been used in games for quite a while. I don’t see how using one per episode is remotely significant in terms of innovation.

If the hope is that people have favourite stars who they’d pick up a particular episode to see, then that’s not going to go as expected for them. There’s been an increasing trend of dissatisfaction with movies lately regardless of how big the stars are.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 21 October 2017 - 04:59 PM

http://www.seganerds...on-new-project/

Don't know how much "star power" Pierce Brosnan has these days.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostX-Vector, on 22 October 2017 - 03:13 AM, said:

http://www.seganerds...on-new-project/

Don't know how much "star power" Pierce Brosnan has these days.

Page cannot be found?

Seems that for some reason "%20" is inserted in the link, removing it from the URL should work (or just search for "Shadow Stalkers"on the SEGA Nerds website.

This post has been edited by X-Vector: 22 October 2017 - 03:19 PM

Shadow Stalkers will re-define the Trans-Media Intellectual Property Eco-System by converging entertainment mediums and releasing a successful hybrid product combining the best of all worlds.

I fucking love when CEOs spew this word salad garbage drenched in marketing speak sauce, because you know what this means: the end result will be horrendous.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostSledgehammer, on 21 October 2017 - 10:29 AM, said:

Just a reminder: Bernie Stolar is the same man who said "Saturn is not our future" (1997 E3) what scared away a lot of publishers and greatly contributed to Saturn's death in America, not to mention that his desire to see 3D titles only no matter the quality (which also means no JRPGs are allowed) on both Saturn and PS1 also did a lot of damage to the systems in NA (PS1 in America was a shitshow on launch in term of game library). The only good thing he did was probably a successful Dreamcast launch in NA, but even then he fucked it up at the same time when he denied DVD players for Dreamcast, something what made PS2 a huge success in the first place. Tom Kalinske is perhaps the only SoA's (or the entire SEGA) former CEO who is worth to be proud of.

So what? Sega was losing tons of money on every Saturn sold. Go compare the final revision of the Saturn's motherboard to the Playstation's. Now try selling it at the same price. You're just going to bleed out.

What really contributed to the system's downfall was the terrible architecture. Developers didn't want to waste an extensive amount of time programming a machine with a piss poor install base. By the time Stolar killed it at E3, the system was already dead in the water and the entire country knew it. They were including Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop, and Daytona USA with every system. That wasn't working either...three free games couldn't shift any units.

The system's very existence was enough to kill the company. NOTHING about the architecture, marketing, software library, or brand image was tailored to the Western World.

Stolar's real mistake that no one talks about is pricing the Dreamcast at cost. $249 would have been low enough, and the install base would have grown at the same rate. Honestly, that's what really sunk the company. How many companies have had the chance to launch a system at one of the lowest prices ever, adjusted for inflation, AND pocket fifty bucks per unit?! Sucks too, because aside from that, he nailed the launch.

Full disclosure: I own a modded Saturn with an Action Replay Plus 4M, and I fucking love it.

That said, "Hollywood stars" already looks like a big red flag and sounds like that alone will cost a lot of money considering that even quite horrible VA themselves seems to be very expensive in States (compared to Japanese VA, at least), I find their strike especially hilarious. "Episodic" too doesn't bring any kind of confidence unless this is not another Square Enix "episodic" bullshit.

The red flag isn't Scott Miller's shady business deals?

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 26 October 2017 - 07:27 AM

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostPerson of Color, on 26 October 2017 - 07:18 AM, said:

So what?

Saturn was actually successful in Japan and had very good support from Japanese developers, even after it "officially" died. Saturn in Japan was arguable even more popular than N64. But "unfortunately", most of those Saturn games were in 2D and/or JRPGs, even fucking X-Men vs Street Fighter saw no release outside of Japan and Saturn version is actually superior compared to shitty PS1 version, for example. It's not surprising that you yourself own a modded Saturn actually. I would not touch American un-modded version myself, even if it was better than Japanese one.

Keep in mind though, I did not say that he was solely responsible for Saturn failure in NA. The point is, this guy should not be trusted. And seeing from his "Shadow Stalkers will re-define the Trans-Media Intellectual Property Eco-System by converging entertainment mediums and releasing a successful hybrid product combining the best of all worlds." bullshit, you can definitely tell that the guy is to this day your typical businessman.

View PostPerson of Color, on 26 October 2017 - 07:18 AM, said:

The red flag isn't Scott Miller's shady business deals?

I thought Bernie Stolar, SEGA's ex CEO, is in click-bait title and a "selling point", not Scott Miller?

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 27 October 2017 - 07:54 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options