Duke4.net Forums: Star Wars: Episode Thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 26 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Star Wars: Episode Thread  "Because theres too many awesome things happening for a thread each"

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

(24:02)

Many probably already know about this, but I'm flipping out.

FLIPPING

OUT

I don't care if you call me a nerd or a geek or a dweeb or gay or whatever. I am so unbelievably happy about this and I'm proud of it. And gay is another word for happy, originally. I've never been so elated by a trailer. Not even for Episode 7.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 21 July 2016 - 11:56 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Imagine this:

A Mirror Universe Star Wars novel (or trilogy maybe) with a Galactic Empire of evil ruled by the Sith for millenia instead of a Republic defended by the Jedi. The Jedi are an opposing force of good that have long since been driven to extinction at the hand of the Sith Master Hoth, who defeated the last Jedi Master Bane, and his host of Jedi he affectionately named the Army of Light, 1000 years earlier. Vader and Padme have overthrown the lord of the Sith Obi-Wan Kenobi, dark Emperor of the Empire and Vader's former master, and together reign supreme over the galaxy. Luke and Leia are raised by their parents and brought up in the ways of the Sith by Darth Vader. They are taught from a young age that each of them are rivals who must eventually fight to the death for their rightful place as Vader's apprentice and heir to the Sith. He or she will then in turn eventually defeat Darth Vader himself and become the master of the Sith. Vader sends his children out to the galaxy to be led by the dark side to complete their own training.

Thought long dead by Vader's hand, Obi-Wan instead deceived Vader (as is appropriate for a Sith) and plots behind his back to destroy him in revenge. He has kept an eye on Luke from afar and seeks to groom him to be the one to defeat his sister and eventually Vader, finalizing his revenge. Obi-Wan tempts Luke with greater power than even Vader knows and takes Luke to Tatooine to teach him everything he knows, much of which he had kept from Vader. Meanwhile Padme, who has a growing conflict with Vader on how to govern the galaxy, takes Leia under her wing to try to manipulate her for her own purposes to be the one to defeat Vader. She doesn't really want to see Luke killed, but seeing as Leia is far more malleable to her will she accepts it as a necessary step to eventually get rid of Vader (which she can never do herself). She advises her to go to Alderaan and learn from her ally Bail Organa, who she conspires with in secret in political matters for her obsessive need to control the galaxy in her own way. He is also a master of deception and her own mentor.

While on Alderaan Leia meets a bounty hunter named Han Solo, who owns a wookie slave named Chewbacca that he refers to with the derogatory term "Chewy." He falls for her immediately, and though she also develops feelings for him, she treats him as merely a simple-minded unwitting tool to aid in her purposes.

After training, Luke, under the direction of Obi-Wan (obsessed with acts of great overwhelming power, which he naturally imparted to his new apprentice) takes the greatest Imperial weapon, the Death Star, to Alderaan and completely destroys it, thinking that Leia is there. However, in contrast to Luke's propensity for acts of great power, she herself has become a master of subterfuge and deception. She got wind of the coming attack and left prior to that with Han aboard his ship, the "Malevolent Vulture." She decides to let her brother and father believe that she is dead and works in secret with Han and his mercenary associate Lando Calrissian to take revenge on her brother and her father. She plans to seek out and form a temporary alliance with the small yet determined band of rebels led by General Tarkin and Jabba the Hutt. They have the forces available to take on the Death Star, but she alone is able to get the design plans to discover a weakness and destroy it...but little do the rest know that she has no intention of destroying it, she would rather use the Rebels' military force to attack the Death Star, distracting both parties, and sneaking aboard to kill Luke Skywalker, his loyal military force (led by Luke's close friends Biggs Darklighter and Wedge Antilles), and then ultimately the Rebels themselves, taking the Death Star for her own and returning to the Imperial City on Coruscant to destroy her father and her mother both and rebuild the Empire in her own iron fist of domination.

Little do any of these parties realize that the great Jedi master Palpatine, in hiding on Dagobah and the last taught by a long line of Jedi Masters training in secret and keeping their teachings and ways alive after 1000 years of exile, is searching and waiting for the right apprentice to come along that he can teach the ways of the Light Side to and together destroy the Empire at last. He comes across a likely candidate: a rough but otherwise uncharacteristically honest smuggler named Boba Fett, who he senses is surprisingly adept in the Force...

• The Sarien Encounter

Posted Image

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

The Last? Jokes on Disney.

• The Sarien Encounter

There was a scene in TFA where Snoke refers to Luke as "the last Jedi". I think that's all it means. I don't think that it will mean Luke will really be the last and there will be no more.

Yeah, I know, but it's still hilarious title in its own way.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 23 January 2017 - 12:23 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Ugh...you guys and your Star Wars hate. Direct it at the prequels where it belongs and get over it. TFA was great. Not fantastic, but great. It got the feel right. But yes, there are different writers involved for the next two episodes.

What's funny about the title?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 23 January 2017 - 12:33 PM

I don't hate Star Wars, never claimed so. In fact, I do like it, EU especially and wouldn't say that prequels are worse than TFA either (I watched recently everything again because of Rouge One), not even Anakin was as cringe as Ray, for example. In case of TFA I'd rather say I don't like Abrams and perhaps Disney, Abrams can't make even good Star Track movies judging by his latest work. TFA was good for nostalgia, but A New Hope is already a good movie, it doesn't need remake with diversity quota and the OST was quite weak too, at first I thought they hired different composer for it, I don't remember any song from TFA. I honestly hope they learned from Rouge One and going to improve more, stealing from EU and changing names of its characters is way better than remaking old movies (but seriously, fuck them for not making Katarn canonical).

And I find it funny because it's Disney, when I read it my first thought was how they plan to milk franchise to death. Oh, and I another thought was if they want to remake Return of the Jedi, but since writer and director is different who knows, maybe they manage to make it on the level of original trilogy and with original story at the same time or will they play it safe again?

Also, since you started the thread with Rebels, I must admit it's a shame they don't have The Clone Wars budget for the show, it was pretty good cartoon despite some flaws (and Ventress was cute).

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 23 January 2017 - 01:41 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

It's amazing to me that people can have such vast differences of opinion on some things. I didn't think Ventress was attractive in any way.

What do you mean? And she was in one episode where she returned to her sisters, in her memories, when she wasn't a sith yet and before her master was killed, otherwise yeah, I'm not a big fan of bald women either, if that's what you mean. Though I liked her look more in Kindred Spirits from Star Wars Insider 159.

• The Sarien Encounter

Just trying to be funny. I said it's amazing how different opinions can be making it sound like it was in reference to your whole post, but then I honed in on the Ventress thing as if that's what I was talking about. Never mind.

I think I'm going to stop doing those jokes. I did it once before here and nobody really got it then either.

Also, Ventress was never a Sith. She wanted to be, but never formally was.

Your statement made me chuckle, so guess I got your joke. Well, I did get that you meant my whole post and at first I wanted to answer you with "You make it sound like it's a bad thing", but I played it safe like Disney did with TFA. :P

Yeah yeah, she was Dooku apprentice and assassin, but still close enough, she almost did it, if only Sheev didn't ask him to get rid of her.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 23 January 2017 - 02:10 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The title could mean anything. It could just mean that Luke is the last of the Jedi as MusicallyInspired said. It certainly doesn't lock in there being new Jedi in the future. The force is still a pretty big deal since Disney likes to push the concept of non-Jedi force users.

I just hope it doesn't mean they'll kill Luke off. On the balance of peobability they probably will since they can't have such powerful good guys around; need to have the young up-and-coming underdogs save the day. Still, I hope they find a clever way to keep him around, let him kick ass for a while, then take a back seat before letting him survive into the future to train new Jedi.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The plural of Jedi is...Jedi.

View PostMicky C, on 26 January 2017 - 04:18 AM, said:

I just hope it doesn't mean they'll kill Luke off. On the balance of peobability they probably will since they can't have such powerful good guys around; need to have the young up-and-coming underdogs save the day. Still, I hope they find a clever way to keep him around, let him kick ass for a while, then take a back seat before letting him survive into the future to train new Jedi.

I vehemently disagree. The Jedi that would replace Luke after the past experiences would be naturally evolved through personal experience rather than systemic training. This is the one place I'm willing to work with the "new direction" even though they seem quite content to skip over the trials of training through failure. The Jedi Council is a consequence and "afterthought" of trial and error by more or less Jedi cowboys testing themselves against reality. The Jedi Council then becomes a throttle on true nature that creates the very condition where the Dark Side is permitted to overwhelm the system until there is no choice but for someone to go rogue from the Jedi Council.

The Jedi Council nourishes and amplifies the Dark Side. Every fucking time. And Yoda knows it.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 29 January 2017 - 11:22 PM, said:

The plural of Jedi is...Jedi.

Jedii.

This post has been edited by ErgoTheChappy: 30 January 2017 - 07:05 AM

• Honored Donor

Can you elaborate on that?

The Jedi Council represents the socially mechanized form of the light side which is manifest in its opposite form via the physical mechanization of Vader and other assorted dark siders. Yet Vader demonstrates that there is a raw nature that animates everything outside of both light and dark side mechanics that can't be bounded, quantified, or perfectly predicted. To say he went light before his death is kind of naiive. He chose betrayal. We may say he chose betrayal (a mechanically negative trait) for good reasons (a mechanically good trait)... but he ultimately used a mechanic in the social machine he was a part of that was fundamentally "dark" to serve his own desire... however altruistically we might want to ascribe his betrayal.

The Jedi of all kinds need to be grounded again and put through the brutality of rediscovering themselves via raw reality where there are no legacy teachers, no legacy rules, no legacy expectations. Just raw ability being tested against ability and discovering what works (which will of course re-discover the same things that led to the Jedi Council and Vader but with new faces and paths). That re-grounding is the only interesting story to tell right now in that universe.

This post has been edited by ErgoTheChappy: 03 February 2017 - 06:16 PM

Spoiler

• The Sarien Encounter

New promo art. I like her do much more this time around.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 16 February 2017 - 07:28 PM

• Honored Donor

Idk she somehow looks more generic in that particular piece of art.

• The Sarien Encounter

Well anything is more generic than that bizarre triple-bun thing she had going on. I guess I just like generic.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 17 February 2017 - 08:49 AM

It's alright, MI, everyone has guilty pleasures. :P

User is offline   Malgon 

International Titles Confirm ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ is Plural

• The Sarien Encounter

• Honored Donor

There's really very little evidence in that trailer to suggest it isn't a vague remake of TESB just like TFA was of ANH.

• The Sarien Encounter

Funny. And Weird Al is in it.

User is offline   Malgon 

Posted Image

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Can't wait for this movie.
Technically the last film Carrie Fisher will be in (She passed away few month after the film RIP).

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm going to have to avoid this thread now as I've heard from many (including the director) that it's quite spoilery. Can anyone confirm?

Don't know why, but I'm getting this vibe from that poster:
Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options