Duke4.net Forums: How do you buy movies? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do you buy movies?

Poll: How do you buy movies? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you buy movies?

1. Physical only! Darn kids get off my lawn! (DVD/Bluray/VHS/VCD/etc) (9 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. Digital stream/download only! Get with the times, Grandpa! (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

3. Sometimes digital stream/download, but mostly physical (3 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. Sometimes physical, but mostly digital stream/download (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Both evenly (I never buy one without the other!) (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Don't buy at all/Subscription-based only (Netflix/Hulu/etc) (2 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

7. I don't buy/watch movies. Movies suck! (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

So I know where I am and where a lot of us stand on buying games, but how about movies? More and more I encounter people online who have given up buying physical movies a long time ago and this...is totally alien to me. I simply cannot trust some cloud server somewhere out of my control to handle content that belongs to me that also depends on my internet connection (and data/bandwidth) to access. I don't like movies taking up all my hard drive space either. I buy movies exclusively on Bluray. I'll redeem the codes for digital copies, though. Usually through the Play Store/YouTube. Otherwise I don't bother. Also, the cases and slip cover art are just nice. Are any more of you still out there like that?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 21 September 2017 - 06:06 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I subscribe to a streaming service. I certainly don't view it as buying movies or TV shows, simply having access. The prices are typically that of a single movie ticket for one person, and yet you can watch dozens of hours of content with many people.

If I really like a movie, then I might buy it on DVD at a physical store. TV shows are more awkward however, in that the episodes are dispersed among a potentially large number of discs. This is both a hassle in terms of physical storage, and in having to swap discs out.

My family have a bluray player but we don't own any blurays. Of course, we haven't bothered getting an HD TV that would show the benefit of a bluray.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

One benefit of Blurays over DVDs is that all discs are specially coated with a highly effective scratch-resistant substance (and it works quite well). Whereas DVDs aren't (some blank DVDs do, but not new ones).

User is offline   Mark 

I go to the cinema almost every weekend so I don't buy many movies. The ones I do have on DVD, don't own a Blu-ray player, are bought at garage sales for 1-2 dollars. I have maybe 60 discs with about 1/3 of them are TV shows or concert vids. And most of the movies are no where near current releases.

I don't really do digital, like with games, I prefer to have the physical copy. Now, here's another question, how many of you still go buy old VHS tapes? I do, there's just something about watching an older movie on VHS that brings a smile to my face. :)

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I'd totally go for subscription based services over physical goods, but nobody is serving the movies I want to watch. Most of the time they're impossible to find on DVD either.

User is offline   Jeff 

Blu-ray or DVD (when Blu-ray isn't available) only.

User is offline   Maisth 

I've never bought movies myself, i don't consider going to the theater to watch the movie on release day like buying the movie since im just paying to see the movie and not have it.

On the other side i've never payed for a movie im not interested, either i see a movie that intrigue me on the internet or i never see it.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I stream with Netflix and Amazon's streaming service included with Prime, and keep Blu-Ray rips on a Plex server for stuff that isn't on the streaming services I pay for.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Physical was always the way to go for me, at least if it's something really special, something what I will rewatch constantly, otherwise going to cinema is another option. And physical I also prefer mainly because of high quality, plus I need at least one reason to keep my TV since I stopped watching anything else on it long time ago. Not a fan of streaming services since they tend to lack more options (like subtitles or voices) or they provide inferior quality to DVD or Blu-Ray. Another reason though is that in most cases you don't even own this stuff if it's subscription-based service. I like to rewatch movies or series just like I revisit old games from time to time, so it's quite huge drawback for me.

However, if we speak about Western stuff, this question becomes real complicated since the West doesn't ship this kind of products in Japan in general, unless it's something huge like Disney movies/cartoons, for example. This is actually very true if we especially speak about very old or obscure stuff and West has ton of this kind of stuff, some of which is extremely difficult to find even "for free" if you catch my drift. And to use Western oriented streaming services you must either live in America or use VPN. So, if physical isn't available or going to cinema isn't an option, I have to rely on the Internet, not going to lie. Although I do so only when it's something really worthwhile and something what I'm going to keep.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 22 September 2017 - 07:00 AM

User is offline   Engel220 

I usually buy everything on Blu-Ray. I do also use Amazon Prime Video but I mainly bought Prime for the shipping benefits and Prime Video was a bonus for me. Oh, and I sometimes use Ultraviolet codes if I get a Blu-Ray with them as they prove useful for pre-trip downloads if I’m going to be staying in a hotel or somewhere with shit internet (And some movies with UV codes aren’t always on streaming services, too).

This post has been edited by Engel220: 23 September 2017 - 12:44 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options