• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Half-Life corner

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Interesting series of Tweets by Laidlaw

Epistolary Afterthoughts: The map is not the territory. A sketch is only a starting point. Everything changes as you try to make it real...

Everyone who works on it will have ideas, and new opportunities will appear and change everything...

But even on a story level, you will find as you get closer that some things just won't work. Would Alex really shoot and kill Jerry Maas?...

Is that too harsh? What if Alex pushed Jerry into a timeloop or portal bubble instead, leaving his fate open?...

Is there a role in all this for the former security guard Bernadette? What about cAT?...

What if the final explosion powers a huge timeloop singularity that puts Gertrude back on the Green Valley Science Factory Inbound Train...

...and it all never happened? ...or is about to happen again?

Also, how do you tell it? Do you start on the Hyperborea and have physical timeloops that function as flashbacks? How would that work?

Do you start with glimpses of a Dispar interrogation cell? Do you hint the entire experience is provoked fantasy as a means of getting info?

Or is a straightforward linear experience the most satisfying? It takes a team to work this stuff out. Vignettes are easy.

And then what do you do if the brilliant actress who plays Wanda Bree...dies?

User is offline   ---- 

View PostJim, on 26 August 2017 - 06:18 PM, said:

If it can look like this I will be happy

It is not only about the visuals. An Episode in another engine would also feel completely different. From player-movement to weapons, player AI and all that.

Besides: using another engine would be hilariously stupid instead of using the existing EP2 base. You have everything in there already: The enemies (including AI), all weapons, the movement, the assets, etc ...
It would also be much safer to base it on EP2 and players need Ep2 to actually play it instead of making it a standalone game. The former would probably avoid a cease and desist letter.

ANd regarding Musically Insired's last post.
That's another problem I see with a mod. They probably would stay too close to Marc Laidlaws letter instead of adjusting the story (in details).
Please note that I am not comparing myself to Marc, but I am currently writing the story of an adventure game and the story details have changed so much in the last weeks to fit gameplay or tighten up the plot (while the grand scheme of things stays intact, of course).

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 26 August 2017 - 11:47 PM

User is offline   Toxic34 

I think that Laidlaw's post is quite intriguing. That would've been a hell of a game. Hopefully, if HL3 gets made, it will incorporate some of this material in resolving the HL2 thread, before Gordon or any other character sets off on a new adventure and new storyline.

Some of this idea was used in a mod, entitled The Closure. It's pretty crappy, and for some reason, it includes a lot of moments outside of Gordon's head to basically make cutscenes, a big no-no when it comes to Half-Life.

The similarities between it and The Closure is pure coincidence.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Posted Image

http://www.moddb.com...rmath-release-1

User is offline   Toxic34 

Which seems more likely? That Laidlaw's post was done with Valve's blessing and he chose to switch the names for shits and giggles as people took 10 minutes of thinking to realize what he was talking about? Or that he did this independently because for some reason, he didn't want the silence to continue and did these names, skirting the edge of copyright infringement? I tend to think the latter, since, as VNN points out, the opening and closing seems to be a shot across the bow to Valve and Gabe Newell in particular. I doubt they'd be appreciative of including that.

Of course, it makes me think all the more, left confused as to why Valve chose to deep-six development of Episode 3. It hardly seemed to be a Doom 4 case where something was being done that was straying well away from what the series was meant to be, and would've only hurt its image. (I still think that idea could've been made by id into a different title, unconnected to Doom) At least, should HL3 arise, it should be well worth the wait and do justice to the series.

For my part, I'm actually a fan of the Star Wars prequels, though I admit they are far from perfect. I think the only real difference there needed to be in writing was that Lawrence Kasdan should've taken a pass on the script and punched up the dialogue, but everything else could be the same, and the movies would be even better. I also am very much a fan of what the series is doing now, so I get great enjoyment of everything (live action) that winds up in theaters and accept it all as belonging to Star Wars, and necessary to the story. I also am not hung up on the various alterations to the original trilogy, as most of them do in fact improve the films, though I do agree there were some that were thoroughly unnecessary and pointless. But that's just me.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostToxic34, on 27 August 2017 - 07:14 PM, said:

Of course, it makes me think all the more, left confused as to why Valve chose to deep-six development of Episode 3. It hardly seemed to be a Doom 4 case where something was being done that was straying well away from what the series was meant to be, and would've only hurt its image. (I still think that idea could've been made by id into a different title, unconnected to Doom) At least, should HL3 arise, it should be well worth the wait and do justice to the series.

My take is that the episodic development model simply wasn't working out as intended - at last not in a way they saw fit for Half-Life. While the intention was that episodes could be made and released relatively quickly, in the end the development took far longer than intended and while good, the released episodes were far from as ground-breaking as the first two Half-Life games. Simply, they were stuck with development times (and costs) probably nearing that of full games but with far lesser "bang" than would they have been full games, the confines of being essentially Half-Life 2 expansions holding them back regarding what they could do, and the longer time passed the more constraining the model became. It started preventing them from being Half-Life, in a way.
We're probably lucky that even episode 2 made it out.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

The last VNN videos about EP3/HL3 have been flagged for dark and mysterious reasons...

• The Sarien Encounter

Still works for me...

Flagged, not blocked...

• The Sarien Encounter

Flagged for what? What does that mean and how can you tell?

The video was flagged as "inappropriate" in terms of YouTube's advertiser-friendly monetization scheme which means ads aren't shown with the video. It doesn't affect the viewing of the video itself. This has nothing to do with the subject matter of the video, though, as illogically "inappropriate" flagged videos is a scourge hitting most people on YouTube right now.

• The Sarien Encounter

Oh, yeah I'm all too well aware of that. Strange why it was flagged. Stupid Google bot algorithm just flagging everything. I'm so sick of Google's underhanded tactics and zero communication with content creators.

User is offline   Jim 

I think it was the word dead, now it is replaced with gone

User is offline   Loke 

Some audio tracks from Project Borealis.

https://soundcloud.c...s/compilation-1

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Cayle George, former Valve designer who worked on both Team Fortress 2 and Portal, is releasing a mod called Half-Life: C.A.G.E.D. on September 21, 2017. Pitched as a "return to the golden age of First Person Shooters," the campaign features a developer commentary, unlockable secrets, and a soundtrack from Lazerhawk. It looks pretty hot!

• The Sarien Encounter

That music track was awesome.

User is offline   axl 

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 02 September 2017 - 03:45 PM, said:

Cayle George, former Valve designer who worked on both Team Fortress 2 and Portal, is releasing a mod called Half-Life: C.A.G.E.D. on September 21, 2017. Pitched as a "return to the golden age of First Person Shooters," the campaign features a developer commentary, unlockable secrets, and a soundtrack from Lazerhawk. It looks pretty hot!

Looks promising. And I love Lazerhawk !

This post has been edited by axl: 03 September 2017 - 01:23 AM

User is offline   Newken 

Non-HD models, please! :)

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm sure you can swap them. They probably just had them enabled in the video menu. It's a checkbox. I remember when it was this long complicated steam URL you'd have to enter in. Two separate ones actually I think, one to activate and one to disable.

User is offline   Newken 

Well, the plunger looks HD. Is there a non-HD version of it? :)

• The Sarien Encounter

True lol.

Harry101UK, known for his great videos about the Portal universe and music making in the matter have made an unofficial HL3 soundtrack on his free time :

User is offline   Newken 

Someone is making Half-Life 2 in GoldSrc:
http://www.moddb.com...-life-2-classic

• The Sarien Encounter

Haha I love that this exists.

User is offline   Newken 

View PostNewken, on 03 September 2017 - 10:09 AM, said:

Well, the plunger looks HD. Is there a non-HD version of it? :)

http://store.steampo...cutive_Plunger/

Still HD. :)

• The Sarien Encounter

I've been doing a playthrough of Half-Life on my YouTube channel since I heard the news of "Epistle 3." Starts with the Uplink demo and continues into the original retail release of the game ("Half-Life WON"). I'm not the best commentator or anything, just wanted to relive the game and share my experience and memories. I kind of blab a bunch at the beginning explaining the whole Epistle 3 situation and mentioning a few thoughts. If you want to skip that just transport to about 5:34 on the video to see the game itself.

• The Sarien Encounter

Half-Life: Caged, a mod for HL1, was released for free on Steam yesterday. I did a playthrough on YouTube. Apparently it's based off of an older mod by the same creator Future Select Games (Cayle George, who is an ex-Valve employee) but I hadn't heard of it before. This new release is wonderfully polished and quite fun (and difficult), if short. Also, the music is by Lazerhawk and it ruuuuuules. I think it's quite well balanced considering it's as short as it is. The enemies are much more difficult it seems than the standard HL grunts, but just as smart (possibly smarter). I also love the level progression. Feels a lot like Half-Life and even Portal. Really love the prison escape idea in a shooter. Also, there are achievements you can get (I only got one). Can't wait to try it again and get some more.

http://store.steampo...HalfLife_Caged/

Lazerhawk's Bandcamp:
https://lazerhawk.bandcamp.com/music

It's not necessary play Uplink as a standalone, the Uplink Addon integrates the levels inside the main plot utilizing Lambda Reactor Core port 07 and return. It also fix a little Blue Shift inconsistency.

http://www.moddb.com...fe-uplink-addon

Also, check out the PC version mod of PS2 Half-Life: Decay

http://www.moddb.com...half-life-decay

And the Dreamcast unreleased version mod

http://www.moddb.com...-life-dreamcast

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 22 September 2017 - 09:17 AM

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options