Duke4.net Forums: Weird Noob Question: Replacing map in "Duke it out in DC" - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weird Noob Question: Replacing map in "Duke it out in DC"

User is offline   ---- 

When it comes to DN3D and EDuke32 i'm only a consumer (but I am an experienced user and programmer in general),

Is it possible to replace a map in the Duke it out in DC campaign, so that the whole episode plays normally but "Smithsonian Terror" is replaced with another map I like more (I find ST exhausting and boring to play).

I am not a computer noob and kindly ask if an experienced user can point me in the right direction and also point out some traps I could run into to save me a little time before I start trying for hours without getty anywhere. :P

Thanks in advance,

And yes, I searched for "replace map episode" but didn't find any useful topics.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 29 June 2016 - 02:20 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Take any map, rename it DUKEDC4.MAP, place in root DN3D/EDuke32 folder.

You can also replace the map directly in the grp using something like grpviewer but it shouldn't be necessary.

User is offline   Lunick 

You could also edit the con file to skip the map entirely I guess too lol

User is offline   ---- 

Thanks a lot.

Now off to find a good map to replace it. :P

User is online   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 11 December 2016 - 06:04 AM

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostMetHy, on 29 June 2016 - 02:31 AM, said:

Take any map, rename it DUKEDC4.MAP, place in root DN3D/EDuke32 folder.

You can also replace the map directly in the grp using something like grpviewer but it shouldn't be necessary.

I would suggest using Slade3 over any other old-ass tool for Duke3D, since they added support for GRP editing. (I don't know if it works 100% for everything but it at least can open and see textures, sounds, etc).

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostFistMarine, on 29 June 2016 - 06:05 AM, said:

Only one problem: The map has custom con and art files, which might conflict with Duke It Out In DC con and art files.
They will conflict. Any* map that comes with TILES14.ART is ruled out from replacing DC episode levels.

*For the records: there are four maps using the original DC TILES14.ART:
- Anarchy City and Overtime by MRCK/ck3D
- Bank by Danstructor (supersedes Banco)
- Afterglow; Twin Creeks by Puritan
Only Bank and Overtime come without CONs, though, and might be suitable unless they include a final boss.

User is online   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 11 December 2016 - 06:06 AM

User is offline   ---- 

I will try around a bit.

IIRC, you go down to the subway station at the end if Nuked Files, so skipping Smithonian Terror altogether wouldn't break any continuity.

So I will try to make a .con file.

EDIT,
Screw it, learning the ins and outs of con* files from for skipping one map is too much work, dnscotty305 has to do it. :P

*) I never worked with them ever.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 30 June 2016 - 08:03 AM

User is offline   ---- 

This is what I did now... I used the secret level of Duke it out in DC instead of Smithsonian Terror (saves me the secret exit in Metro Mayhem) and set the lotag of the secret exit to 5 which leads to the next level.

Thanks for all the suggestions and hints. :P

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 30 June 2016 - 09:10 AM

User is offline   ---- 

I am havin another very minor problem, but I like my games cleaned up.

I am using the DukeDC HRP with the latest version of EDuke (but the problem is there for me for several versions now).

My screensize is set to 1920-1080 32bit, Polymer and the ratio is set to auto detect (but I tried 16:9 manually too).

At launch the titlepic where duke stands on the pile of monsters with the DC seal on the top left the picture is shifted down. there is a black border above it and the lower part is cut off.

I tried renaming the other textures in the HRP-pack but nothing repositioned the titlepic.

Is there any workarond to fix this?

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 19 September 2016 - 09:26 AM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

You can make custom art files work for a map if it collides with an existing art file.

You need to rename the art file like this:

Mapname_00.art

Example:
Eye.map
Tiles014.art --》eye_00.art
Tiles015.art --》 eye_01.art
Etc.

If you do this, EDuke32 will load the art file only with that specific map.

Limitation:
If your mapname is longer than 5 chars, you got to shorten it because the art file always needs to contain "_00". That is if you want to put it into a groupfile since it only supports 8.3 file format. Outside of a groupfile, I guess that limit doesn't exist.

Conflicting con code may be a problem, though. Sounds definition conflicts can be bypassed by redefinition, but you would need to edit the map to change the sound numbers there, too.

Anyway, I strongly advise against editing original groupfiles. At least make backups.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 19 September 2016 - 10:29 AM

User is offline   ---- 

View PostNightFright, on 19 September 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

You can make custom art files work for a map if it collides with an existing art file.

You need to rename the art file like this:

Mapname_00.art

Example:
Eye.map
Tiles014.art --》eye_00.art
Tiles015.art --》 eye_01.art
Etc.

If you do this, EDuke32 will load the art file only with that specific map.

Limitation:
If your mapname is longer than 5 chars, you got to shorten it because the art file always needs to contain "_00". That is if you want to put it into a groupfile since it only supports 8.3 file format. Outside of a groupfile, I guess that limit doesn't exist.

Conflicting con code may be a problem, though. Sounds definition conflicts can be bypassed by redefinition, but you would need to edit the map to change the sound numbers there, too.

Anyway, I strongly advise against editing original groupfiles. At least make backups.

THe right art is there. But in the HRP there are several PNGs for 16:9 and 4:3. I only renamed those in the DC-HRP pack.

The problem remains that the hires titlepic in Duke it out in DC is too low ond cut off at the bottom. Since it is positioned normally in Duke NUkem 3D HRP I assumed it has something to do with code. But I cannot find the right place to change something.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 19 September 2016 - 10:55 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

It's a problem in the original ART files. Add this to the defs:

tilefromtexture 2493 { yoffset 0 }

User is offline   ---- 

View PostHendricks266, on 19 September 2016 - 12:31 PM, said:

It's a problem in the original ART files. Add this to the defs:

tilefromtexture 2493 { yoffset 0 }

Thanks you very much. ;)

User is offline   ---- 

Another question:

I am using the latest DC-HRP and would like to have the green font back.

I read that it is commented in the def-files and tried to uncomment it.

I unpacked the DC-Hrp, edited what I thought would be right and repacked it (with the original name). But it doesn't work.

Can somebody tell me what lines exactly I have to change to get the green font back?

Thanks in advance for the help. :)

• Weaponized Autism

Try uncommenting "include dukedc/screen/fonts.def" in dukedc/screen.def. That should give you a green version of the 1.3D-replica in the mainline HRP.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostHendricks266, on 30 August 2017 - 08:54 AM, said:

Try uncommenting "include dukedc/screen/fonts.def" in dukedc/screen.def. That should give you a green version of the 1.3D-replica in the mainline HRP.

I tried that but it didn't work.

I also dis- and reenabled the texture cache.

• Weaponized Autism

Is it possible that EDuke32 is not seeing your changed file? Try placing your changed version of screen.def directly in a folder named dukedc, that itself is in the folder where eduke32.exe is.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostHendricks266, on 30 August 2017 - 09:10 AM, said:

Is it possible that EDuke32 is not seeing your changed file? Try placing your changed version of screen.def directly in a folder named dukedc, that itself is in the folder where eduke32.exe is.

OK, I will try. :)

EDIT: It worked. Thanks. :)

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 30 August 2017 - 09:29 AM

User is offline   NNC 

Try using Reichskanzlei by Peter Kucera.

That's the closest level to DukeDC style (and one of the most pro-style maps ever), although it had atomic and even Penthouse Paradise art.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options