Duke4.net Forums: Ambient sounds - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ambient sounds

User is offline   Maisth 

How do i make them work? i have putted 1 in my map that has a HiTag of 10000 and a LoTag of 231 (The Helicopter ambient sound) yet i don't hear it, what im doing wrong?

User is offline   Hank 

In the defs.con file, sound number 231 is defined as WAR_AMBIENCE1
In the user.con file, line 823, is the WAR_AMBIENCE1 (plane flying over) tagged with a 16.
This means, it is a random global sound activated when a player enters the sector, usually combined with other sounds.

You can try to edit the user.con to make # 231 an ambient sound, by changing the 16 to a 2, and see if this works.

Reference:
http://www.r-t-c-m.c...n-user-con.html
look under 'definesound'

This post has been edited by Hank: 25 August 2017 - 01:59 PM

User is offline   Maisth 

View PostHank, on 25 August 2017 - 01:55 PM, said:

In the defs.con file, sound number 231 is defined as WAR_AMBIENCE1
In the user.con file, line 823, is the WAR_AMBIENCE1 (plane flying over) tagged with a 16.
This means, it is a random global sound activated when a player enters the sector, usually combined with other sounds.

You can try to edit the user.con to make # 231 an ambient sound, by changing the 16 to a 2, and see if this works.

Reference:
http://www.r-t-c-m.c...n-user-con.html
look under 'definesound'

This means that i have to do this manually? every other map that i see has those Ambient sounds and i don't think they have modified anything, specially the original maps.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMaisth, on 25 August 2017 - 10:21 AM, said:

How do i make them work? i have putted 1 in my map that has a HiTag of 10000 and a LoTag of 231 (The Helicopter ambient sound) yet i don't hear it, what im doing wrong?

are you tagging the sector, or are you using a 'M' sprite?

I believe the effect you're after requires the use of the M sprite
M[10000, 231]

http://infosuite.duk...?page=ae_sfx_a2

http://infosuite.duk...?page=ae_sfx_a4

more under the SFX section:
http://infosuite.duk...dvanced_effects

In my experience - some sounds don't work well if you have the range too high.
Try reducing it to half or quarter of 10000 and see if works - then increase it until it is no longer is audible. Then back the number down to where it was working. You may have to use multiple sprites with slightly overlapping range circles.

This post has been edited by Forge: 25 August 2017 - 07:22 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMaisth, on 25 August 2017 - 06:33 PM, said:

This means that i have to do this manually? every other map that i see has those Ambient sounds and i don't think they have modified anything, specially the original maps.

If you follow the original maps, then this is what was done
Attached Image: 231.jpg

Music FX at HiTag 3 LoTag 231

If you want to change this, you need to follow my suggestions.
If you want the same effect as in E1L1, then follow the original setup.

Setting the Music FX to HiTag 10000 and LoTag 231 will not work, because the sound is defined as '16' in the user.con file, it is NOT a loop sound file. :)

b.t.w. perhaps all you need is sound # 279, HELICOP_IDLE ?

This post has been edited by Hank: 26 August 2017 - 07:31 AM

User is offline   NNC 

Did you guys know that sound number 170 (grind.voc) had been used various times in the original game as an intentional ambient sound? From my memory, it was used in E1L4 twice, E1L6 and E4L3, maybe other places as well. It was also used in Levelord's Sweeney as a door sound.

Since it's bitfield number is 1, and that means loop sound, the door in Sweeney plays in loops, while the other sounds simply don't play in the game. I firmly believe they made an error in user.con and wanted originally the number to be 2 as an ambient sound.

Actually sound number 21 (short circuit) has the same problem, it was also used in Shop-N-Bag as an ambient sound, but it's bitfield number is 0.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 26 August 2017 - 09:12 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostHank, on 26 August 2017 - 07:14 AM, said:

b.t.w. perhaps all you need is sound # 279, HELICOP_IDLE ?

^this

User is offline   Forge 

View PostNancsi, on 26 August 2017 - 09:12 AM, said:

Actually sound number 21 (short circuit) has the same problem, it was also used in Shop-N-Bag as an ambient sound, but it's bitfield number is 0.

same problem with the cooking deepfrier sound 348 - that why everyone uses the rain sound for grills instead.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostForge, on 26 August 2017 - 10:02 AM, said:

same problem with the cooking deepfrier sound 348 - that why everyone uses the rain sound for grills instead.

Was that sound actually used in the game?

User is offline   Forge 

I don't know.
It was probably meant for use in Duke Burger, or maybe Derelict.
Those are the only two maps that have some form of grills/stoves/deepfriers in episode 4 that I recall.

-unless it was intended/used for something else.

This post has been edited by Forge: 26 August 2017 - 11:46 AM

User is offline   NNC 

Derelict has a horn sound that was supposedly heard when you jump onto one of the platforms into the ship, but blocked by another M sprite.

The game is full of these kind of annoying bugs.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options