Duke4.net Forums: Chasm: The Rift - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Chasm: The Rift

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postcybdmn, on 23 January 2017 - 11:11 AM, said:

It is more like Wolfenstein 3-D with 3D models for some structures and the enemies.

That is a pretty damn weird design philosophy.

Yes, the art direction is really good for such a small game. Too bad the devs never made a proper sequel on true 3D engine, but at least Carnivores series was successful, and Vivisector wasn't half bad. Too bad there are no re-releases of those games, if Maddox games can be re-released, then why Chasm can't?

User is offline   Perro Seco 

I enjoyed Chasm a lot when I was a kid. Now I'm working on a miniepisode with three new maps, new textures and new sounds:

Spoiler

You may have noticed that I can't build very large areas to keep acceptable frame rates.

User is offline   LkMax 

It's sad this game doesn't have a source port, it plays badly on DosBox and looks interesting. Maybe if it ever releases on Gog...

View PostPerro Seco, on 26 January 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

I enjoyed Chasm a lot when I was a kid. Now I'm working on a miniepisode with three new maps, new textures and new sounds:

I love you. When do you plan to release this addon?

View PostCryptKiller, on 26 January 2017 - 03:38 PM, said:

I love you. When do you plan to release this addon?
I'm not sure when because I'm also working on other things for Duke, but I'll create a thread here when I'll finish it.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I just found an early version of the Chasm Action website via the Wayback Machine, with some interesting titbits about the game. For example, there was a monster naming contest, and the monster names used on the site thereafter appear to have been submitted by users.

There seems to be unused monster mentioned on that website!

Posted Image

And yet, none of the aliens from the 4th episode are in the gallery, nor the lion-man from the 2nd episode. Yet I distinctly remember that the earliest demo level was in egyptian catacombs.

And in the weapons section, they mention the "Harpoon", which sounds like the bolt thrower from Painkiller, piercing and pinning the enemies. Very, very interesting!

This post has been edited by CryptKiller: 28 January 2017 - 02:23 PM

User is offline   Jim 

the monsters and weapon of this game should be ported to Quake

View PostJim, on 29 January 2017 - 02:11 AM, said:

But those models use a strange file extension (.3O). I think nobody knows which program is used to open them.

User is offline   cybdmn 

View PostCryptKiller, on 28 January 2017 - 02:14 PM, said:

There seems to be unused monster mentioned on that website!

Posted Image

And yet, none of the aliens from the 4th episode are in the gallery, nor the lion-man from the 2nd episode. Yet I distinctly remember that the earliest demo level was in egyptian catacombs.

And in the weapons section, they mention the "Harpoon", which sounds like the bolt thrower from Painkiller, piercing and pinning the enemies. Very, very interesting!

I have bought an early version of that game before release on a floppy, included was an model viewer and this raptor like model.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Do you still have that floppy?

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostHendricks266, on 30 January 2017 - 03:36 AM, said:

http://www.chasmacti...07-04/MONSTERS/ ?

User is offline   cybdmn 

View PostHendricks266, on 30 January 2017 - 03:36 AM, said:

Sure, but i have to dig it out, when i am at home, where i am only once every 3 or 4 weeks. The files in Daedolons link seem to be exactly what are on that floppy. If i remember correctly, there where two models, while the dino was the unused and the skeleton was used ingame.

• Ancient Blood God

A chasm.zip has the 1.02 demo. I just can't remember the source for it. I'll have to sort a ton of Chasm files when I find time anyway.

This post has been edited by Daedolon: 31 January 2017 - 06:00 AM

Hallfiry and me have catalogued some Chasm demos here, nothing rare really but might be useful.

That's a really neat website!

Thanks! That's Hallfiry's design: simple and elegant :P

There is a reverse-engineered port of Chasm on github: https://github.com/P...everse/releases it's still a little wonky, but the gane is mostly playable

[edit] D'oh!

This post has been edited by CryptKiller: 10 July 2017 - 04:46 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostCryptKiller, on 10 July 2017 - 04:33 PM, said:

There is a reverse-engineered port of Chasm on github: https://github.com/P...everse/releases it's still a little wonky, but the gane is mostly playable

View PostLunick, on 23 January 2017 - 01:37 AM, said:

There's a reverse engineering project that is currently active https://github.com/P...k/Chasm-Reverse

:P

View PostCryptKiller, on 10 July 2017 - 04:33 PM, said:

There is a reverse-engineered port of Chasm

According to the dev thread, this project started as based on reverse-engineering but eventually the author encountered various problems and only used some information obtained this way. The engine is actually written from scratch.

Going back to this, it's really taking shape into a really interesting little, I don't know, interpreter? Launcher? Whatever, it runs the game and the coder slowly adds some quality of life improvements, the current version finally has quicksave/quickload and more levels are completable, but it still feels off in few places, like zombies rarely get gibbed by grenades, yet you often gib other monsters with shotguns, or some things are plain broken like some of the doors or the final level (well, now at least the boss spawns properly). So yeah, while it's another "not-a-source-port" work, it really works well and hopefully it will make people appreciate this bit underrated game.

User is offline   Malgon 

View PostPerro Seco, on 26 January 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

Spoiler

You may have noticed that I can't build very large areas to keep acceptable frame rates.

Color me interested!

View PostJim, on 29 January 2017 - 02:11 AM, said:

That wouldn't be as easy as you think. Superficial similarities of aesthetic aside, I've looked into the model format a bit and the way it does things is vastly different from Quake. The polygons are quads and the skins are huge compared to Quake's, as well as laid out differently.
http://www.shikadi.n...gwiki/3O_Format

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Gotta be honest, I found this game very interesting actually. Its not good, but it attracts me kinda like how Rise of the Triad does. Just one of those odd balls.

I always felt that Chasm is very playable. It doesn't really throw a lot of challenges at the player and combat isn't very intense most of the time, but the variety of scenery and detail prevents playing from becoming a chore. At the same time you don't have to read much into the details to get a complex story (but you can if you want to), so the game actually keeps a fine balance between that infamous take on video game plot by John Carmack and the plot-driven approach to games. At least, that's the impression that I got from playing Chasm.

User is offline   Gambini 

And now i know Chasm had level editor?

Really good work there

View PostReaperMan, on 21 August 2017 - 04:27 AM, said:

Gotta be honest, I found this game very interesting actually. Its not good, but it attracts me kinda like how Rise of the Triad does. Just one of those odd balls.

Ditto. I remember it being one of the first games I played on my just upgraded Pentium 166mhz. I saw the rain, then that cubicule with the shaking window and papers on the desk and thought the game would blow my mind. I quickly realized it was just a Wolf-like maze game with lots of make up, but i still fire it up from time to time.

User is offline   Jim 

View PostETTiNGRiNDER, on 21 August 2017 - 04:24 AM, said:

That wouldn't be as easy as you think. Superficial similarities of aesthetic aside, I've looked into the model format a bit and the way it does things is vastly different from Quake. The polygons are quads and the skins are huge compared to Quake's, as well as laid out differently.
http://www.shikadi.n...gwiki/3O_Format

The guy who did PanzerChasm released his source code, perhaps there is a way to get the models out of Chasm and into Quake? I know one guy that converted some of the textures

Just found the official Microsoft Plus! theme pack for the game, it contains a neat wallpaper: csmtheme.zip

Another somewhat rare logo can be found here:
http://panda.co.jp/products/Chasm/Chasm.htm

• Ancient Blood God

That's the splash screen for one of the installers, the EU/Australia version. There are three (splash screens) in total afaik, unless the red box version has its own. Nobody seems to have a copy.

I hope I'll have time soon enough to sort out all the files and have their modified dates match at least to some extent.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options