User is offline   Kyanos 

View Postfgsfds, on 29 June 2017 - 02:41 AM, said:

There is. https://github.com/S...Brouwer/vox2png
Attached a compiled version.

Thank you, works like a charm.
Spoiler

User is online   Mark 

View PostReaperMan, on 29 June 2017 - 01:13 PM, said:

I keep all the versions in the first post, with multiple downloads.

Is there a specific reason why the old version is still there for download? Do I need to download both?

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostMark., on 01 July 2017 - 05:50 AM, said:

Is there a specific reason why the old version is still there for download? Do I need to download both?

No, you only need to download the newest one, but there are changes to specific models and what not so if anyone wants them they can download the old one. Also I like to keep things archived.

View PostStriker, on 29 June 2017 - 02:57 PM, said:

You obviously haven't been looking hard enough. It's the bottom download. Says 1.1 right there.

I made it more noticeable now I think.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 03 July 2017 - 06:12 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

Should I add some of the details to the top from the hud sprites? like this?
Attached Image: shrinker.top_down.2d.png
Attached Image: shrinker_top_slab6.png

This post has been edited by Drek: 04 July 2017 - 05:32 PM

User is offline   mxrtxn 

View PostStriker, on 20 June 2017 - 12:23 AM, said:

These are cool, but they are in the Shadow Warrior palette... won't work nicely in software mode.

Forgive the delay.

I modified them. Now they have the Duke Nukem Palette!. I also fixed the pivots of some of them.

NEW DOWNLOAD LINK:

http://www.mediafire...voxels_duke.rar

User is offline   lamduck 

I thank everyone working on this. I play this regularly, I can't get enough voxels, I really like them, and how fast they render on modern hardware. This runs extremely well on an intel e8600 4 GB RAM GTX 580. Great coding work.

Does anyone know of any replacement for the large enemies, I know a guy was working on them but it has been a while and I have not heard anything lately about updated large enemies or bosses.

Also, the guy that is making Voxelstein has not updated his blog in a long long time. Has anyone heard anything about what is going on with it?

Thanks to all, great work.

This post has been edited by lamduck: 05 July 2017 - 07:52 PM

View Postlamduck, on 05 July 2017 - 07:49 PM, said:

Does anyone know of any replacement for the large enemies, I know a guy was working on them but it has been a while and I have not heard anything lately about updated large enemies or bosses.

I don't think anyone is planning on doing enemies.

Also, the guy that is making Voxelstein has not updated his blog in a long long time. Has anyone heard anything about what is going on with it?

No one here is affiliated with that.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 06 July 2017 - 09:28 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Easy, make a 3D model that approximates the sprite and then make a voxel from that.

User is offline   Gambini 

I thank everyone working on this. I play this regularly, I can't get enough voxels, I really like them, and how fast they render on modern hardware. This runs extremely well on an intel e8600 4 GB RAM GTX 580. Great coding work.

Voxels were popuralized in 486´s and Pentium I´s times, we are glad they run well on your GTX 580, definetely coding optimization can do wonders! :P

This post has been edited by Gambini: 06 July 2017 - 02:24 PM

User is online   Mark 

View PostTea Monster, on 06 July 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

Easy, make a 3D model that approximates the sprite and then make a voxel from that.

But wouldn't you have to pose the model to match each individual 2d sprite pose and make a model of each pose? Then convert all those models to voxels.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostTea Monster, on 06 July 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

It's not as easy as all that, and poly made voxels aren't all that great of a style... think pixel art ^cubed

View PostGambini, on 06 July 2017 - 02:23 PM, said:

Voxels were popuralized in 486´s and Pentium I´s times, we are glad they run well on your GTX 580, definetely coding optimization can do wonders! :P

Only a few games really utilized them though, right? There were only a few in Blood and Shadow Warrior, so why didn't they do all the enemies in voxels? I remember playing Apache that had a voxel engine, it was not too fast on a 486 or Pentium. Also there was Outcast, and it was pretty intense on the PCs at the time, not the fastest thing I have ever seen. One pro for voxels is they have more of a 3d type of rendering, they look more 3 dimensional.

This post has been edited by lamduck: 08 July 2017 - 11:37 AM

[quote name='ReaperMan' timestamp='1499362107' post='281583']
I don't think anyone is planning on doing enemies.

Why? It sure would look better if all the enemies were voxelized. If not I do appreciate all the work done.

This post has been edited by lamduck: 06 July 2017 - 09:40 PM

Is there a way to merge this enemy pack and the models in this thread?

https://sites.google...site/duke3dvmp/

It would be great to have one pack and it all work well together. These enemies are great as voxels.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

The ideal voxel pack for Duke would be similar to the voxels Blood and SW got. I'd say ReaperMan's leadership has done the pack well.

View Postlamduck, on 06 July 2017 - 09:33 PM, said:

Only a few games really utilized them though, right? There were only a few in Blood and Duke3d, so why didn't they do all the enemies in voxels? I remember playing Apache that had a voxel engine, it was not too fast on a 486 or Pentium. Also there was Outcast, and it was pretty intense on the PCs at the time, not the fastest thing I have ever seen. One pro for voxels is they have more of a 3d type of rendering, they look more 3 dimensional.

Duke never had any voxels. You must be thinking of Shadow Warrior.

I remember someone tried to turn the Pig Cop model from the HRP into a voxel, but they didn't go very far with it due to how odd it looked when voxelized.

This post has been edited by Duke of Hazzard: 06 July 2017 - 10:32 PM

• Polymancer

View PostMark., on 06 July 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

But wouldn't you have to pose the model to match each individual 2d sprite pose and make a model of each pose? Then convert all those models to voxels.

You'd rig and animate the 3D model, which is trivial compared to having to redraw the sprite from X different angles.

View PostDuke of Hazzard, on 06 July 2017 - 10:30 PM, said:

Duke never had any voxels. You must be thinking of Shadow Warrior.

I remember someone tried to turn the Pig Cop model from the HRP into a voxel, but they didn't go very far with it due to how odd it looked when voxelized.

Yes, you are right, it was Blood and Shadow Warrior that had a few.

This guy has most all enemies voxels, except the larger enemies and bosses. It looks quite good, although one does miss the eyecandy of Polymer lighting.

I tried to run my configuration that works fine on Windows 7 and Vista on Windows 10, and there is no 8 bit rendering mode (1920x1080 8bpp) anymore ;-( so I can't get the voxels to work. Not sure if they removed it in 10, or something to do with the drivers for the GTX 580. In any event, the polygon models and lighting with Polymer work fine, so I guess I'll be running that on my Win 10 PCs.

• Polymancer

View Postlamduck, on 07 July 2017 - 08:14 AM, said:

Yes, you are right, it was Blood and Shadow Warrior that had a few.

This guy has most all enemies voxels, except the larger enemies and bosses. It looks quite good, although one does miss the eyecandy of Polymer lighting.

Again, they are made from models, which means they only look as good as the current HRP models. Parkar's piggy is good, but that Enforcer... Ugh!

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostTea Monster, on 06 July 2017 - 11:45 PM, said:

You'd rig and animate the 3D model, which is trivial compared to having to redraw the sprite from X different angles.

Yes, it's one voxel per action not each angle, the bosses are about 15 voxels each with death animations being half of it which don't even use angles.

def code snippet, from your cycloid incedently
Spoiler

View PostTea Monster, on 07 July 2017 - 10:19 AM, said:

Again, they are made from models, which means they only look as good as the current HRP models. Parkar's piggy is good, but that Enforcer... Ugh!

I agree, seems that Enforcer is harder to do, possibly because it is lizard like and it should be less cubic, more curves needed. Quite a difficult one to do, I always wonder if at some point voxel rendering could be per pixel, say a 1920x1080 voxel world. Could make some nice curves with that. One day they may be able to have a per pixel light renderer. Each ray a pixel. It would look nice, just like looking out the window. Just dreaming.... :P

• Polymancer

Some new models are going to be issued with our HHR mod. I've warned people that purists may not want to use them as they are not 100% reproductions of the original sprites.

View PostTea Monster, on 08 July 2017 - 02:29 AM, said:

Some new models are going to be issued with our HHR mod. I've warned people that purists may not want to use them as they are not 100% reproductions of the original sprites.

Interesting, can you let us know a bit more, what is HHR, or point me to a discussion thread about it?

I am not too particular, if you take some artistic freedom with them, I won't be complaining.

View Postlamduck, on 06 July 2017 - 09:34 PM, said:

Why? It sure would look better if all the enemies were voxelized. If not I do appreciate all the work done.

Because it is a ridiculous amount of work.

View Postlamduck, on 06 July 2017 - 09:49 PM, said:

It would be great to have one pack and it all work well together. These enemies are great as voxels.

I have no plans on merging these packs together, they look completely different from one another. The point of this pack create voxels as close as possible to the original art. Similar to those used in SW or Blood.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 08 July 2017 - 01:44 PM

View PostReaperMan, on 08 July 2017 - 01:41 PM, said:

Because it is a ridiculous amount of work.

I have no plans on merging these packs together, they look completely different from one another. The point of this pack create voxels as close as possible to the original art. Similar to those used in SW or Blood.

I do understand. It's still a cool novelty type of thing that voxels work. I know people have other priorities, and for the work needed, it probably doesn't make sense to spend a whole lot of time on it.

Now, who is working on voxel models for the Bombshell Build engine game? LOL had to do it :P

User is online   Polunka 

Well, I think my post will be kinda uncalled for (since I'm pretty sure what I'm asking about is obvious to everyone participating in this thread :P ), but, anyway, here are my questions (addressed specifically to ReaperMan himself):

Is this pack still a wip project? And, ReaperMan, are you still working on it or have you abandoned it? Moreover, in case you have, are you gonna merge the current version of the pack with other community members' contribution (like Striker's table and Drek's shrink ray voxel models; I'm fully aware anyone could do that themselves at their own will but it'd still be better to see this pack whole and complete (at least to some extent) without any stray pieces of work not included)?

This post has been edited by Polunka: 09 July 2017 - 10:13 PM

View PostPolunka, on 09 July 2017 - 10:08 PM, said:

Is this pack still a wip project? And, ReaperMan, are you still working on it or have you abandoned it? Moreover, in case you have, are you gonna merge the current version of the pack with other community members' contribution (like Striker's table and Drek's shrink ray voxel models; I'm fully aware anyone could do that themselves at their own will but it'd still be better to see this pack whole and complete (at least to some extent) without any stray pieces of work not included)?

Its still being worked on and yes those models will be included. There is no reason that they would not be, anyone can contribute.

User is online   Polunka 

View PostReaperMan, on 10 July 2017 - 04:26 AM, said:

Its still being worked on and yes those models will be included. There is no reason that they would not be, anyone can contribute.

Yeah, I see. And thanks for the reply along with some clarification. :P

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

How can I make this pack work if I want to play World Tour on EDuke32 through Hendricks' stopgap? The voxels are just not appearing when I try the regular way.

Share this topic:

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options