Duke4.net Forums: Nintendo corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nintendo corner  "All talk a/b Nintendo. Share your love and hatred a/b Nintendo."

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I built a Raspberry Pi with two SNES controllers and pretty much the entire 90s console game lineup for the price of the classic NES and a second controller. Plus, the controllers actually reach.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

There are controller extension cables...of course that's extra cost.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

The NES Mini was successful in America for the same reason indie game development is swamped with 2D platformers, NES chiptunes, and shit-tier "pixel art": it's basic, shallow, and culturally ingrained.

View PostSledgehammer, on 13 April 2017 - 02:05 PM, said:

Why would you even want one to begin with? This thing can't even play original games, actual cartridges. That's pretty much why it failed and in Japan you can get original even cheaper than this useless junk, I bet even in the West it's possible to get good one for cheap.

I wonder even if they tried to copy SEGA which still produces actual Mega Drives (well, the companies which have SEGA's license). Because if they did, they completely missed the point (yeah, the ability to play cartridges).

Its a cool collectable, hdmi support, sabe states, retail price was relatively cheap, and its easy to mod iirc

Im upset over it but mostly because they could have made a good deal of cash off of something relatively low cost to produce (by my guess)

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

But why bother when you can get original for cheaper price which is also ten times better? We're talking about real cheap. Not even 50 bucks or more. If you're lucky, you can get original like for 10 bucks in good condition. This, on the other hand, is just some crappy emulator in the shell. Personally, if I wanted to collect old junk, I'd definitely get original over this and actually, I have it somewhere around. As for hdmi you can use PC for literally the same emulation, except you can also play any rom and for free.

People should be upset that Nintendo fucked it up from the beginning. They could provide us actual hardware or maybe even improve it. Instead, they tried to sell some shitty emulator box which is why it seems they want to stop production. Looks like people didn't buy into their bullshit after all, although there was a lot of hype over it.

Don't know, it's just not worth it at all. Even Chinese clones are better, at least they can play cartridges and also cost even less.

• The Sarien Encounter

Woo!

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 13 June 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

Woo!

Ohhh, yessss....! Posted Image

• The Sarien Encounter

Confirmed, no Retro Studios. Eh....could go either way. Still, they've screwed up Metroid so much and now they're finally listening to what the fans want. I'll be optimistic.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 13 June 2017 - 05:10 PM

Rabbis X Mario miiiight be my game of show. What the fuck is going on in the world?

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostHulkNukem, on 14 June 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

Rabbis X Mario miiiight be my game of show. What the fuck is going on in the world?

Haha, I know right. It looks fucking awesome, and I usually hate the Rabbids (even though I wish they had gone with Rayman). The boss fight they've shown looks really fun!

• The Sarien Encounter

I've lost all excitement for anything related to Mario. The last time I was having a lot of fun with Mario was Super Mario World. I wasn't even that impressed with Mario 64. Mario Kart is kind of fun sometimes, but that's not a true Mario game. I played New Super Mario Bros too and I guess I'm.....just over it. I don't get the allure anymore. Kirby too. I don't think Donkey Kong has been any good since the SNES either. I don't think I'm era-ist, but I just have no attachments to these games anymore. Bring on Metroid and Zelda, though!

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Speaking of Mario:

It's like it isn't enough for America to fuck up games for the whole Western world, now they want to fuck with Japan itself. And then they dare to say something about foreign cultures, after trying to fuck them up. This shit is exactly what makes me hate USA more and more. Why can't you keep this crap only to yourself?

NINTENDO LOCALIZERS NOW WORK WITH JAPANESE DEVS TO CENSOR GAMES FOR WESTERN CULTURE

A recent interview with Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime, Monolith Soft CEO Tetsuya Takahashi, and Nintendo's Genki Yokota reveals insight into the censorship and localization process for Nintendo games that arrive in the West.
Nintendo Everything condensed down the important bits from the original Kotaku interview, quoting Reggie Fils-Aime, who explained that Nintendo works with the Japanese development teams to ensure that the games fit the cultural standards in the West, particularly in America...

"The creators are always involved in anything that happens in the localization process. In terms of what gets localized, there?s a simple collection of words that we use to define how we think about this: It's 'cultural relevance' and 'understanding of the ratings and ratings implications.'

"It's during those meetings that they discuss the localization process, what's being evaluated. I am extremely comfortable with the process. And again if you look at our executives that are involved, Nate Bihldorff and members of this team, they have deep relationships with the developers and everything is being done with the best intentions of the content showing itself the best way it can."
It's mentioned that Nintendo's Treehouse localizers travel to Japan about every two months to discuss content and upcoming products with the development teams. This is Nintendo's new strategy in working with Japanese developers for games currently in production as opposed to letting the Japanese teams finish the work and then localize it later.
Nintendo's Yokota explained that current games in development in Japan are now being made in collaboration with Nintendo's Western Treehouse group...
?We?re really building [the game] as we?re in discussion. Whereas for the past title, the Japanese version had already been pretty much close to completion when this [localization] discussion started."

"For past titles, because the Japanese version was done, our challenge was then to figure out what it is we need to do to make sure this game is made available in overseas, as well as, we're able to sell this product. In that sense, I was open to making any changes that were necessary to make sure everybody can enjoy this game."
In simple terms, it means that Treehouse localizers can start censoring content during development as opposed to after development. So even if you want to import the Japanese version, it may already be just as censored as the American or European version.
Reggie mentioning the 'cultural relevance' of localization caught the eye of Censored Gaming, who dug into the IGDA's usage of the term in some of their documents relating to basically censoring products from one region to the next to ensure that it's culturally appropriate.

Some of the commenters on the Nintendo Everything article tried to argue that Japanese developers don't mind censoring their products, and invite that kind of feedback. However, others pointed out that creative directors like Masahiro Sakurai lamented having to censor characters like Palutena in the Japanese version of Super Smash Bros. on the Wii U, as reported by Source Gaming.
Nintendo previously came under fire for the localization of games like Fire Emblem: Fates and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, which made drastic changes to the character stories, interactions and designs in order to fit Western standards. Gamers were able to take note of these changes by comparing the American versions to the Japanese versions and spotting out the differences in side-by-side breakdowns.
With Nintendo's new method of having Treehouse localizers travel to Japan and suggest censorship changes while the games are in development, like with the upcoming Xenoblade Chronicles 2, it means that the Eastern version and the Western version are going to be a lot closer in terms of content.
Genki Yokota explained that the main goal is to have very little difference between the Japanese version and the other versions released around the world, saying...

The "best part" is that now because of suits not only consumers must suffer but also developers, just because some irrelevant American "liberal" cunts want to "fix" our culture. Hopefully it won't affect other developers at least, the ones which don't work under Ningendo.

They should learn from SEGA who doesn't give a fuck about this scum and do their own localization for the Western releases too. And fans are what matters, not some retards who don't even buy those games, they don't even know why Nintendo games were good. Fuck it, I'm done with this shit company. Even paid online feature for Switch wasn't as bad.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 18 June 2017 - 08:40 PM

Aww man, I thought Nintendo were finally ready to shed their "for kids only" image and stop with the censorship. Remember when they tried to be edgy during the 00s and allowed violent games on their consoles like Resident Evil 4 which is something they definitely wouldn't have done in the past (although Resident Evil 0 was developed on the N64 first, which could've been the beginning of the change in mind)?

Posted Image

View PostPikaCommando, on 18 June 2017 - 09:11 PM, said:

Aww man, I thought Nintendo were finally ready to shed their "for kids only" image and stop with the censorship.

And why would they do that when their consumers in the West don't act and eat everything anyway? They would get their shit together only if mass boycott happened so the company could be damaged, something what doesn't happen in the West anymore. The only reason why I'm scared for Japanese releases is exactly Americans. Even if Japan boycott Nintendo stuff (and it wouldn't be the first or even the last big boycott in Japan), it's possible that Americans will continue giving them money and no one knows how retarded Nintendo is, they can easily drop Japanese market in favor of the West which eats everything no matter what Nintendo does. That's what basically happened with Sony at least. No one here buys their products and the only truly successful console after PS3 was Vita which they tried to kill anyway due to lack of its popularity in the West.

If you really thought they would stop you probably don't know how fucked things up in NoA. Xenoblade situation in the West should've been enough to understand that they won't stop. This is why censorship in the West exist or why companies fuck with the West in general by using horrible business practices, that includes Japanese companies who aimed for the Western audience (like Sony, Square Enix, Capcom, fighting games companies which releases their games on consoles, etc), it seems like Western people can't boycott for shit and this is the only way to fix things unless you have more powerful tool, by voting with your wallet.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 18 June 2017 - 09:39 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostSledgehammer, on 18 June 2017 - 08:26 PM, said:

It's like it isn't enough for America to fuck up games for the whole Western world, now they want to fuck with Japan itself. And then they dare to say something about foreign cultures, after trying to fuck them up. This shit is exactly what makes me hate USA more and more. Why can't you keep this crap only to yourself?

The "best part" is that now because of suits not only consumers must suffer but also developers, just because some irrelevant American "liberal" cunts want to "fix" our culture. Hopefully it won't affect other developers at least, the ones which don't work under Ningendo.

They should learn from SEGA who doesn't give a fuck about this scum and do their own localization for the Western releases too. And fans are what matters, not some retards who don't even buy those games, they don't even know why Nintendo games were good. Fuck it, I'm done with this shit company. Even paid online feature for Switch wasn't as bad.

If you want to hate someone, hate the executives at Nintendo who decided to censor their games in a misguided attempt to make American audiences happy. As you point out, SEGA doesn't do this. No one is forcing Nintendo to, either. If Nintendo wants to keep the "American liberal cunts" happy, then that's on them -- don't blame the entire US when the majority of Americans are against censorship.

Read the post above, I explained why I blame the others as well. If the West stopped giving them money when companies fuck up there would be no such news about this censorship bullshit, in fact, they would stop this in America too. Japan won't tolerate this, but the West will do nothing to punish NoA just like always, not majority at least. If you boycott them, then I don't blame you and other people who boycott them, in fact, I'd be happy to hear that and would wish if America had as much citizens who have some self-control and self-respect. Otherwise, you're also to blame.

If people don't act by voting with wallet and only talk then they're part of the problem, I blame those Americans exactly (and Westerners).

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 18 June 2017 - 09:54 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Aww man, I thought Nintendo were finally ready to shed their "for kids only" image and stop with the censorship. Remember when they tried to be edgy during the 00s and allowed violent games on their consoles like Resident Evil 4 which is something they definitely wouldn't have done in the past (although Resident Evil 0 was developed on the N64 first, which could've been the beginning of the change in mind)?

Posted Image

Look at that manspreading.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

I don"t see were the problem is, I have loved all the Mario games since Super Mario World except Super Mario 64 I barely Played, I liked Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, and Super Mario Odyssey look fun to play as usual !

For Donkey Kong I liked the original Donkey Kong Country trilogy, and recently Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze !

Im not quite sure why youre getting bent out of shape over localisation changes that barely change anything or end up improving a product (cutting the pointless petting minigame from fates)

Because I don't like censorship? By cutting content they don't improve games. Even if you truly find those features pointless you can just skip them, no one is forcing you to deal with this stuff. Or better you could buy Western games which doesn't have "pointless" features. Besides, terrible translation especially does not improve a product and NoA is known for butchering actual script and dialogues in Nintendo "problematic" games just as well. Not only that, sometimes they can force some kind of typical libtards propaganda or remove stuff which is "problematic" for libtards (even though they don't give a fuck when some of this "problematic" stuff happens in real life). Next thing you going to tell me that freedom of speech is pointless crap and that your country would improve without it. Nah, fuck this, there is no need to be censorship apologist, especially when we speak about NoA.

It's fine that you hate fun or like blatant propaganda in games, but it doesn't mean that other people enjoy this shit too and must suffer just because you're okay with this. That's what some Americans (mainly hypocritical retarded leftists) fail to understand, Japan doesn't need this American "culture" or mindset. I for one don't give a fuck about American irrelevant made up shit and non-existent problems related to "poor oppressed minorities/women" nor do I care what those retards think of women in fiction or how sex outside of real life is problematic and I sure as hell don't enjoy butchered plot in games which makes no sense, otherwise I would import Nintendo games from America.

You're free to keep this shit to yourself, in your own country, but you there is no reason to force your "culture" here, in mine and that's what they want to do now which is my main problem.

What really surprises me is that those people are actually getting paid for such terrible work. Is it really that easy to be a parasite in America? Or it works only because of nepotism?

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 19 June 2017 - 10:57 AM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

I don't know where the hell you got your information, but that entire write up a few posts ago is bullshit.

Sakurai didn't give two shits about the western version, he was complaining about all of the changes they had to make to get the rating from the CERO (Japanese ratings board) down. And they still gave it a B rating.

You probably should also refer to the original interview instead of just taking at face value some idiot's incorrect and reactionary post.
http://kotaku.com/xe...ange-1796157409

I didn't either (it's your duty to fix your own shit after all just like it is mine in my own country). My problem is that seems like they want to fuck up original versions (Japanese versions) so there could be even less difference between both Japanese and Western releases (guess they got the message that people hate censorship and instead of fucking off they decided to screw original versions instead). Maybe my English is that bad, but that's what I've got from this article. Japan is where I used to buy Nintendo games since I'm Japanese, those versions were original and without some kind of NoA bullshit interference and now it may change.

That Sakurai interview was a proof that developers don't like to be censored (in their own country at least though they're also ignorant and aren't aware that "problematic" content isn't breaking a law in the West). I imagine this crap hasn't come yet, at least they didn't mention anything in the press so only actual release of their games will tell us for sure if it started.

Don't get me wrong, I will be happy if this is another shitty and worthless article, but knowing NoA or America it isn't difficult to believe that this shit can actually happen, those people love to stick their noses where they shouldn't and they sure as hell want to deal with my country so it could be as ridiculous as in America, that wouldn't be the first time definitely and their hate toward Japan is growing and growing, it triggers them to death even though they claim that they love other cultures or people. Leak of your problems is the least thing I want to see in my country, we already have enough of our own problems, that includes rating boards, other censorship like ban of some violent Western games (they banned MK games, for example) or most importantly real problems.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 21 June 2017 - 11:25 PM

Posted Image

Nintendo isnt "for kids only". Ignoring that they appeal to a wide skill range already, theres the fact that nintendo is the only reason bayonetta 2 even exists, treating the game and platinum extremely well, even being okay with adding bayonetta to smash

Two of the biggest reveals at the switch conference in january were smt 5 and no more heroes 3 ffs

Nintendos working pretty closely with bethesda on the switch port of skyrim as well

They dont usually make m rated games because thats generally just not the kind of games theyre interested in making.

• The Sarien Encounter

Nintendo announced the Super NES Mini. Much like the NES Mini, it comes with games preinstalled and you can't play old carts or anything. There's no full game list released yet (I don't think) but one neat thing it comes with is the never before released Starfox 2.

https://zeldaunivers...lassic-edition/

Posted Image

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 26 June 2017 - 09:58 AM

User is offline   axl 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 26 June 2017 - 09:53 AM, said:

Nintendo announced the Super NES Mini. Much like the NES Mini, it comes with games preinstalled and you can't play old carts or anything. There's no full game list released yet (I don't think) but one neat thing it comes with is the never before released Starfox 2.

https://zeldaunivers...lassic-edition/

According to IGN... A full list of included games follows:

Contra III: The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
EarthBound
Final Fantasy III
F-ZERO
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dream Course
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Secret of Mana
Star Fox
Star Fox 2
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls n Ghosts
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Punch-Out!!
Yoshi's Island

Hmmmm, a bit disappointed here... No Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, Donkey Kong Country 2, ...

This post has been edited by axl: 26 June 2017 - 10:27 AM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

The addition of Star Fox 2 is interesting.

View PostSledgehammer, on 21 June 2017 - 11:20 PM, said:

I didn't either (it's your duty to fix your own shit after all just like it is mine in my own country). My problem is that seems like they want to fuck up original versions (Japanese versions) so there could be even less difference between both Japanese and Western releases (guess they got the message that people hate censorship and instead of fucking off they decided to screw original versions instead). Maybe my English is that bad, but that's what I've got from this article. Japan is where I used to buy Nintendo games since I'm Japanese, those versions were original and without some kind of NoA bullshit interference and now it may change.

That Sakurai interview was a proof that developers don't like to be censored (in their own country at least though they're also ignorant and aren't aware that "problematic" content isn't breaking a law in the West). I imagine this crap hasn't come yet, at least they didn't mention anything in the press so only actual release of their games will tell us for sure if it started.

Don't get me wrong, I will be happy if this is another shitty and worthless article, but knowing NoA or America it isn't difficult to believe that this shit can actually happen, those people love to stick their noses where they shouldn't and they sure as hell want to deal with my country so it could be as ridiculous as in America, that wouldn't be the first time definitely and their hate toward Japan is growing and growing, it triggers them to death even though they claim that they love other cultures or people. Leak of your problems is the least thing I want to see in my country, we already have enough of our own problems, that includes rating boards, other censorship like ban of some violent Western games (they banned MK games, for example) or most importantly real problems.

NoA censorship is cancer. I hate this kind of Amish mentality when games come to the West.

View Postaxl, on 26 June 2017 - 10:26 AM, said:

According to IGN... A full list of included games follows:

Contra III: The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
EarthBound
Final Fantasy III
F-ZERO
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dream Course
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Secret of Mana
Star Fox
Star Fox 2
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls n Ghosts
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Punch-Out!!
Yoshi's Island

Hmmmm, a bit disappointed here... No Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, Donkey Kong Country 2, ...

Good library but the SNES had so much good stuff that the list even feels lacking despite all of them being all-star material.

User is online   Lunick 

It's missing Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3...

I also feel like it should have had Kirby's Dream Land 3 and Super Mario All-Stars.

Star Fox 2 is the real star of the entire thing. It's been available (illegitimately) for a while now but it finally having an official release is great, and I'm sure not a lot of people even know about it.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options