Duke4.net Forums: Shadow Warrior - "New Episode" - Duke4.net Forums

• 44 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior - "New Episode"

I checked in a fix for the AI audio bug, AI audio should play properly again.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 10 June 2017 - 09:18 PM

User is offline   Ninjakitty 

View Posticecoldduke, on 10 June 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

Technically I should have two branches on my github, main and release. I'm treating my main branch as my work branch right now, so there will be some CL's that break things. I'll try to branch my code so the release branch is what you guys would pull from when you want something stable, then when you want the latest code, there will be main.

Alright, seems like a good idea! :P

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostTerminX, on 10 June 2017 - 08:20 PM, said:

You do good work, but it looks to me like you just kind of spaz and leave half-baked messes everywhere

this^

maybe some of this stuff is connected and linked, but you're working on mod support and the game-port isn't even working right yet.
Figuring out why too many saves & loads causes the game to randomly crash, and random sprites to disappear, seems like it would have higher priority.
Also mouse / controller support, why some sprites -like the ash can & the old woman- have weird shadows. Why the ash can moves when struck with a sword, why enemies don't drop items when they die, and whatever else got reported.

Maybe you fixed most of that stuff and I missed the post, in which case I'm wrong, carry on. Otherwise, focus, Daniel-San.

I also just checked in a fix for the ambient audio. All audio should now play correctly. All audio tables are no longer in the exe and are in user.lua. I'll get binaries up shortly.

View PostForge, on 10 June 2017 - 09:25 PM, said:

Maybe you fixed most of that stuff and I missed the post, in which case I'm wrong, carry on.

I have fixed quite a few so please keep me up to date on the crashes you guys get. My soak tests(where I leave the game running for long periods of time), have been stable, so again please keep me posted on what you guys find.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 10 June 2017 - 09:32 PM

User is offline   Forge 

Ah.
That's not how it works.
We report stuff, you fix and tell us to verify your fix.
Then we verify your fix while also looking for more stuff to report.
If you don't specifically state that you have possibly fixed the save/load sprite disappearing/crash issue - I'm not going to bother testing it for anything else.
Having to use my keyboard for almost everything because I can't assign mouse-buttons plays hell on my tired old bones and arthritis. Coupling that with having the game crash randmly - which either makes me play huge chunks again, or even worse -corrupts my last save making me start the entire game over - really puts a damper on my enthusiasm.

The last several updates have been aimed at mapping - with a polymer issue or two tossed in. I seen nothing about fixing anything crash related.

This post has been edited by Forge: 10 June 2017 - 09:43 PM

View PostForge, on 10 June 2017 - 09:41 PM, said:

Ah.
That's not how it works.
We report stuff, you fix and tell us to verify your fix.
Then we verify your fix while also looking for more stuff to report.
If you don't specifically state that you have possibly fixed the save/load sprite disappearing/crash issue - I'm not going to bother testing it for anything else.
Having to use my keyboard for almost everything because I can't assign mouse-buttons plays hell on my tired old bones and arthritis. Coupling that with having the game crash randmly - which either makes me play huge chunks again, or even worse -corrupts my last save making me start the entire game over - really puts a damper on my enthusiasm.

I don't say things are fixed until I'm damn sure there fixed :P. I'm just stating I have addressed quite a few crashes, but because of the nature of how these crashes happened I'm not ready to pass them back to you guys for regression yet. For example a couple patches ago I fixed the Comm memory stomp bug, this bug was causing two random crashes in the audio system. I believe those are fixed but more testing on my end is needed.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 10 June 2017 - 09:48 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View Posticecoldduke, on 10 June 2017 - 09:25 PM, said:

I have fixed quite a few so please keep me up to date on the crashes you guys get. My soak tests(where I leave the game running for long periods of time), have been stable, so again please keep me posted on what you guys find.

View Posticecoldduke, on 10 June 2017 - 09:45 PM, said:

I don't say things are fixed until I'm damn sure there fixed :P. I'm just stating I have addressed quite a few crashes, but because of the nature of how these crashes happened I'm not ready to pass them back to you guys for regression yet.

So which is it?
You've made some progress and you'd like to have it tested, or you're not ready to pass them back to us yet?

This post has been edited by Forge: 10 June 2017 - 09:59 PM

View PostForge, on 10 June 2017 - 09:53 PM, said:

Next weekend I'll just create a Jira for this project, which will make it easier to track bugs that are on my plate. I have bugs on my plate that I'm still testing on my end, but please continue to report all bugs you find. I also need you guys to help me flush out bugs with the modding tools(if any). It would be good if we can make small test maps that we can get to crash.

NEW BINARY RELEASE:

Please report any sound issues you guys find, I moved the entire sound table out of the exe, so there is bound to be things I fucked up.

NEW PATCH HERE https://forums.duke4...post__p__279799

WHATS NEW:
  • Lua scripting engine.
  • All audio tables(digi and ambient) moved from the EXE into user.lua(swdata/scripts/user.lua). You should now be able to add more sfx to the game.
  • All level tables are moved from the exe into user.lua.
  • Removed support for swcustom.txt
  • Episode name/subtitle/and start level are inside of user.lua.
  • Initial level scripting support. Its very basic right now but please see swdata/scripts/map_scripttest.lua.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 11 June 2017 - 02:59 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

imho it would be best if icecoldduke were working with Forge and the other testers in a private environment, relaying messages on skype or some-such. With this public format, he's inevitably going to aggravate observers and stir up controversy. His workflow does seem very scattered, but on the other hand he's getting a lot done very quickly, so maybe there's a method to the madness. I imagine that people's reaction to the project would be very different if it disappeared from the public eye for a while, only to re-emerge as a polished product. That is to say, maybe it would be best if we didn't know how the sausage was being made.

User is offline   Forge 

View Posticecoldduke, on 10 June 2017 - 09:59 PM, said:

Next weekend I'll just create a Jira for this project, which will make it easier to track bugs that are on my plate. I have bugs on my plate that I'm still testing on my end, but please continue to report all bugs you find. I also need you guys to help me flush out bugs with the modding tools(if any). It would be good if we can make small test maps that we can get to crash.

Fine. But if I test it some more and get the exact same crashes as before - as if nothing has changed - I may call into question certain aspects of your being. Don't take it personal.

I'll probably run through Twin Dragons again - it seems the most unstable and crash-prone out all the episodes & addons.
I don't do mapping/modding for SW. I barely even mapped for Duke3d.
Which video renderer would you like me to use? polymer, polymost, or classic

View PostTrooper Dan, on 10 June 2017 - 10:07 PM, said:

sausage

This post has been edited by Forge: 10 June 2017 - 10:13 PM

View PostForge, on 10 June 2017 - 10:07 PM, said:

Fine. But if I test it some more and get the exact same crashes as before - as if nothing has changed - I may call into question certain aspects of your being. Don't take it personal.

I'll probably run through Twin Dragons again - it seems the most unstable and crash-prone out all the episodes & addons.
Which video renderer would you like me to use? polymer, polymost, or classic

Use Polymost or Polymer. Please try and record demos using -ddr -map mapnamehere There might be problems with it so please be patient. If you do find crashes sending me dmo files will make it easier to flush out the remaining crashes.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 10 June 2017 - 10:14 PM

User is offline   Hank 

If/when this project becomes private, one request, once the mouse is settable, I like to be part of it. Pretty please. :P
Unlike Forge, my hands are quite healthy, but my temper is short, very short, without things working the way I'm used to, for all other games. :P

View PostHank, on 10 June 2017 - 10:14 PM, said:

If/when this project becomes private, one request, once the mouse is settable, I like to be part of it. Pretty please. :P
Unlike Forge, my hands are quite healthy, but my temper is short, very short, without things working the way I'm used to, for all other games. :P

I'll see if I can get the mouse button mappings fixed for the next patch.

User is offline   Forge 

I was a mechanic for 20+ years - my hands, wrists, & shoulders are shit now. - so yeah. - limited controls and crash prone games test my patience.

I dropped in the latest snapshot. Haven't really played it too deep - just loaded it to set the cfg to what makes me comfortable.
Loaded the twin dragons from the loader screen drop down menu - and I'm presented with the episode selection menu from the original game.
Choosing "Enter the Wang" launches Enter the Wang
Choosing "Code of Honor" launches Twin Dragons

also - the enemies still aren't dropping items when killed.

This post has been edited by Forge: 10 June 2017 - 10:35 PM

User is offline   Forge 

Here's the weird shadow thing on these ashcans (also on the old lady)
-these are also the cans that move around when hit with a sword-

Attached File  swcp0000.jpg (128.87K)
Number of downloads: 23

Still can't properly play in polymer - because the screen is black and can't see where the tractor with key is

Attached File  swcp0001.jpg (103.16K)
Number of downloads: 19

I haven't had any crashes at all, now that I think about it. And the default mouse settings are good enough for me. ;) And I always play on No Pain No Gain! :P
I'll always be available to test, so if it does become private, make sure to let me into it! :P

View PostForge, on 10 June 2017 - 10:49 PM, said:

Here's the weird shadow thing on these ashcans (also on the old lady)
-these are also the cans that move around when hit with a sword-

Attachment swcp0000.jpg

Still can't properly play in polymer - because the screen is black and can't see where the tractor with key is

Attachment swcp0001.jpg

The RC screen was disabled because it was causing a performance drop when rendered.
The ash bins have always had weird shadows in al ports iirc, shadows are just the sprite being duplicated, shaded, and shortened.

The rc screen has been bugged in polymer since the start, so I disabled drawroomtotile in Polymer because it was also slowing the game to slow down. This needs to be fixed obviously. Thanks for the bug report! As far as the sprite shadows I have no idea what's causing that issue in Polymer.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostNinjakitty, on 11 June 2017 - 04:08 AM, said:

The ash bins have always had weird shadows in al ports iirc, shadows are just the sprite being duplicated, shaded, and shortened.

View Posticecoldduke, on 11 June 2017 - 04:31 AM, said:

As far as the sprite shadows I have no idea what's causing that issue in Polymer.

the correct perception is as follows:

Classic Dosbox:
Attached File  SWCP.jpg (76.91K)
Number of downloads: 19

Classic with the ICD port:
Attached File  swcp0001.jpg (146.43K)
Number of downloads: 18

Steam Redux:
Attached File  20170611064048_1.jpg (219.58K)
Number of downloads: 18

Polymost ICD port:
Attached File  swcp0000.jpg (157.58K)
Number of downloads: 16

i've already posted polymer using the icd port.
https://forums.duke4...post__p__279748

This post has been edited by Forge: 11 June 2017 - 05:56 AM

View PostForge, on 11 June 2017 - 05:56 AM, said:

the correct perception is as follows:

Classic Dosbox:
Attachment SWCP.jpg

Classic with the ICD port:
Attachment swcp0001.jpg

Steam Redux:
Attachment 20170611064048_1.jpg

Polymost ICD port:
Attachment swcp0000.jpg

i've already posted polymer using the icd port.
https://forums.duke4...post__p__279748

Oh, NVM, I must have been thinking about SWP's shadows :P
Classic redux doesn't have shadows, BTW

I think it may have something to do with the polymer renderer's weird sprite layering. Polymer sprites still clip into walls when viewed at certain angles sometimes.

This post has been edited by Ninjakitty: 11 June 2017 - 06:16 AM

User is offline   Forge 

and it does it in polymost for the same reason?

View PostNinjakitty, on 11 June 2017 - 06:13 AM, said:

Oh, NVM, I must have been thinking about SWP's shadows :P
Classic redux doesn't have shadows, BTW

i don't have swp port
and i provided dosbox, redux, & icd-port classic as a baseline, and as a side-by-side comparison.

This post has been edited by Forge: 11 June 2017 - 08:45 AM

View PostForge, on 11 June 2017 - 06:18 AM, said:

and it does it in polymost for the same reason?

i don't have swp port
and i provided dosbox & icd-port classic as a baseline, and also as a side-by-side comparison.

I've gotten used to seeing the shadow glitch because I play on SWP so often.
I'm pretty sure that the glitch is caused by the game not knowing which sprite should be on top: The object, or the shadow
And since they are in the exact same position, the game just chooses completely randomly, allowing for the shadow to be on top or partially mixed with the prop.

This post has been edited by Ninjakitty: 11 June 2017 - 06:28 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostNinjakitty, on 11 June 2017 - 06:27 AM, said:

I've gotten used to seeing the shadow glitch because I play on SWP so often.
I'm pretty sure that the glitch is caused by the game not knowing which sprite should be on top: The object, or the shadow
And since they are in the exact same position, the game just chooses completely randomly, allowing for the shadow to be on top or partially mixed with the prop.

it's a 32 bit polymost & polymer issue.
the 8-bit shadow doesn't do it.

This post has been edited by Forge: 11 June 2017 - 08:43 AM

View PostForge, on 11 June 2017 - 08:35 AM, said:

it's a 32 bit polymost & polymer issue.
the 8-bit shadow doesn't do it.

Oh, weird...

User is offline   Forge 

so here we go already.
playing twin dragon.
saved and exited the game so I could change the 'open' key assignment.
started the game & loaded the save - the in game location pops up and then pretty much insta-crash.
(playing in polymost)

Attached File  game0.zip (161.71K)
Number of downloads: 1

This post has been edited by Forge: 11 June 2017 - 09:21 AM

User is offline   Forge 

you also have random stuff missing
there's supposed to be a woman in this shower - but it isn't there.

Attached File  swcp0004.jpg (140.09K)
Number of downloads: 13

I don't know if it's caused by a conflict for having to have both the td.grp AND the sw.grp in the base directory in order to get twin dragons to launch.

This post has been edited by Forge: 11 June 2017 - 09:37 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostForge, on 11 June 2017 - 09:20 AM, said:

so here we go already.
playing twin dragon.
saved and exited the game so I could change the 'open' key assignment.
started the game & loaded the save - the in game location pops up and then pretty much insta-crash.
(playing in polymost)

aaaaaannnnnnddddd....
all I did was quit the game so I could post a screen-shot
started the game, loaded my brand new twin dragons save - and crash.

I'll try another clean install later.

User is offline   Forge 

Same thing. Completely clean install. All I did was edit the keyboard keys in the cfg file. Can't load a save after exiting & restarting the game.
It will load a save successfully while in-game, but you can't save, quit, & come back later to pick up where you left off..

Share this topic:

• 44 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options