Duke4.net Forums: Introducing: The Essential Duke [RELEASE] - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Introducing: The Essential Duke [RELEASE]  "a bugfix / cosmetic / gameplay mod using only code"

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Tried this and like it quite a lot, especially the useful O2 meter when being underwater without scuba gear. And finally the HoloDuke is really good for something! I gotta admit that I never used it before because it had very little impact on monster behavior.

Two things I have found so far:

1) In eduke.con, you define laserdot 2x which leads to a warning when launching EDuke32:
EDUKE.CON:163: warning: ignored redefinition of `LASERDOT' to 16400 (old: 2484).
define LASERDOT 2484
define LASERDOT 16400

2) In E3L1, I grabbed the blue keycard and it stayed where it was. Also, after using it to enter the bar, the keycard stayed in my inventory. Is that intended (didn't happen with the red keycard)?
[EDIT: Didn't happen again during second playthrough.]

This post has been edited by NightFright: 29 May 2017 - 01:42 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNightFright, on 29 May 2017 - 01:04 AM, said:

1) In eduke.con, you define laserdot 2x which leads to a warning when launching EDuke32:
EDUKE.CON:163: warning: ignored redefinition of `LASERDOT' to 16400 (old: 2484).
define LASERDOT 2484
define LASERDOT 16400

The first definition (2484) is the correct one. I don't know how the other one got there (kind of disturbing, actually) but I have now removed it.

2) In E3L1, I grabbed the blue keycard and it stayed where it was. Also, after using it to enter the bar, the keycard stayed in my inventory. Is that intended (didn't happen with the red keycard)?
[EDIT: Didn't happen again during second playthrough.]

I'm not sure about the exact chain of events in your game, but this was almost certainly caused by the feature that makes keycards, tagged cracks and a few other things appear in the textured overhead map. I believe I have fixed this with a new version that I uploaded a few minutes ago (see OP).

• The Truth is in here

Hmmmm... actually with your latest fix, I am not able to pick up any keycard in E3L1 at all any more for some reason. They appear to be solid objects now.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 29 May 2017 - 03:17 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNightFright, on 29 May 2017 - 03:15 AM, said:

Hmmmm... actually with your latest fix, I am not able to pick up any keycard in E3L1 at all any more for some reason. They appear to be solid objects now.

That's what I get for doing this in the middle of the night when I should be asleep. I fixed it for real this time. Download one more time...

• The Truth is in here

Now it works as intended! Thanks for the fast fix, pal. I'll let you take your well-deserved nap now. :P

Tried this and like it quite a lot, especially the useful O2 meter when being underwater without scuba gear. And finally the HoloDuke is really good for something! I gotta admit that I never used it before because it had very little impact on monster behavior.

Really? Because in my experience the HoloDuke is great for luring enemies to certain spots. Makes it all too easy to kill the Battlelord in Area 51. Under normal circumstances, he refuses to enter the elevator, but he'll go in if he sees a HoloDuke.

If the enemies can't see you and they find a HoloDuke, they'll keep charging at it until you provoke them.

I personally like the idea of an enhanced HoloDuke, myself, but it does have its uses in the vanilla game.

• The Truth is in here

Maybe I have just used it incorrectly before. Always thought monsters would prefer attacking the HoloDuke, regardless where you are or what you do. The HoloDuke version in this mod is actually much more the way I had always hoped for it to work.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 29 May 2017 - 11:46 AM

User is offline   max_nukem 

One more bug, pigcops die after one shot from shotgun.
https://yadi.sk/i/APOgg7Ol3Jdytm
This changes the gameplay.Or is it a feature of the mod? :P

This post has been edited by max_nukem: 29 May 2017 - 12:17 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postmax_nukem, on 29 May 2017 - 12:15 PM, said:

One more bug, pigcops die after one shot from shotgun.
https://yadi.sk/i/APOgg7Ol3Jdytm
This changes the gameplay.Or is it a feature of the mod? :P

The shotgun fires 10 pellets instead of 7, but they have reduced damage based on PISTOL_WEAPON_STRENGTH (in USER.CON) so the total damage should about the same. PISTOL_WEAPON_STRENGTH has a default value of 6, so even if all 10 hit, that's only 60 damage. Add random damage and I don't think it should go past 90. Pigcops have 100 strength.

I have never had that happen, so I wonder if you are using a modified USER.CON with increased PISTOL_WEAPON_STRENGTH. I have killed hundreds of them with shotgun in this mod, and not one time did they die from one shot.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 29 May 2017 - 01:19 PM, said:

The shotgun fires 10 pellets instead of 7, but they have reduced damage based on PISTOL_WEAPON_STRENGTH (in USER.CON) so the total damage should about the same. PISTOL_WEAPON_STRENGTH has a default value of 6, so even if all 10 hit, that's only 60 damage. Add random damage and I don't think it should go past 90. Pigcops have 100 strength.

I have never had that happen, so I wonder if you are using a modified USER.CON with increased PISTOL_WEAPON_STRENGTH. I have killed hundreds of them with shotgun in this mod, and not one time did they die from one shot.

You are right. Thanks.
How to change shotgun pellets back from 10 to 7?

I found this value, you can not answer. Thanks.

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postmax_nukem, on 29 May 2017 - 01:33 PM, said:

You are right. Thanks.

By the way, by increasing the PISTOL_WEAPON_STRENGTH, you are also increasing damage done by enemies every time they shoot SHOTSPARK1. So the enforcers and battlelords will be harder.

User is online   Polunka 

I like this mod a lot so far and actually find the very idea of the mere coding doing the thing pretty interesting! Keep up the good work :P

By the way, I have one minor suggestion: while it's great to have this music randomizing technique being implemented since most user maps out there don't come with any custom tracks (or at least predefined default ones), I would still like the game to give us complete freedom at music choice. What I'm talking about is that the randomizer seems to fix music tracks it chooses for maps in the save states without a possibility for you to rethink "your" choice unless you start the map over (granted luck is on your side and you have the preferred track picked by the randomizer).
Like, for instance, I start a map and the game chooses a music track which I don't like for some reason or which, in my opinion, doesn't fit in with the level's atmosphere. In fact, I still can change the mysic myself but it won't be redefined in the save state (should be the same thing as for levels that already have predefined tracks for them either in the code or simply located in the same directory in case they have an identical name as the mapfile). As a result, a reload will cause the game to choose the track it picked at the start, which can be rather inconvenient in aforementioned situations.
At least this is what I think it works like. I hope you will consider my suggestion unless it's impossible to make things work this way.

P.S.: Also, it was clever of you to actually make the game track the points in time which the music plays at while saving (after reloading the music will restart from the duration point you saved at), though I myself find it kinda frustrating. But you don't have to bother about this at all.

This post has been edited by Polunka: 07 June 2017 - 06:00 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPolunka, on 07 June 2017 - 05:43 AM, said:

I like this mod a lot so far and actually find the very idea of the mere coding doing the thing pretty interesting! Keep up the good work :P

By the way, I have one minor suggestion: while it's great to have this music randomizing technique being implemented [snip]

Thank you. The music randomizer code was written by Hendricks266. The only thing I did with it was make it so it only activates if you are playing a user map. The randomizer can be disabled by changing one of the defined values near the top of the CON file.

User is online   Polunka 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 07 June 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

The randomizer can be disabled by changing one of the defined values near the top of the CON file.

Hey, thanks for the tip :P

This post has been edited by Polunka: 07 June 2017 - 07:33 PM

User is online   Polunka 

Some minutes ago I was playing a user map and happened to stumble upon a glitch which I actually find kinda hilarious: steroids' bullet time-esque effect in fact persists even after the level is finished. Ofc the effect needs to be still present while the game is ending the level and switching to one of the cutscenes/the statscreen. As a result, everything that follows the ending sequence slows down to the equivalent extent: cutscenes' animations and fade time along with the respond time, statscreen's respond time and animation. It even continues to take place after entering the main menu (like after you've finished an episode), including cases where you just abort the game from the pause menu.
This can be reverted back to normal by simply starting a new game or loading a savegame. Hope you're able to fix this (if you're even willing to).

P.S.: I like how you've given the Overlord an additional charging attack, makes him a more challenging boss :P . I'll take a look at the other bosses later to see if there's anything new for them as well.

This post has been edited by Polunka: 07 June 2017 - 10:41 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

That reminds me, I think it's time to stop calling this a beta.

I have updated the thread title and the download. Final changes in release version:
-restore game speed to normal if player on steroids as soon as level is set to end
-slightly reduced frequency of pal 16 troopers
-fixed bug with transparency of crosshairs when weapon switching

User is online   Polunka 

Well, I'm not sure whether you still care about this mod but some days ago I found more glitches.

First one is about armor points. As you know, nuke coins are capable of increasing armor beyond 100 points (this could be another bug, btw). The problem is, if you already have over 100 armor and happen to pick up an armor vest (either a full one or one dropped by a pigcop), it sets your armor points back to 100.

The remainder are once again related to steroids. Firstly, is it normal that steroids' effect makes you invulnerable to shrink blasts? Secondly, I've found out that if you use steroids while shrunk, it prevents you from growing back to normal size.

That's all I've stumbled upon so far. Whether to fix or ignore these is your choice.

P.S.: Oh, I almost forgot. Could you please explain what's special about the red pigcops (other than the higher HP)? I've noticed they have a chance of shooting out some reddish-yellowish rays but those don't seem to add anything up to damage they deal. Or do they increase some other characteristics?

P.P.S.: Oh, yeah, and those rays can penetrate masked walls and force fields (without dealing any damage). This may also be considered a bug.

This post has been edited by Polunka: 02 August 2017 - 09:13 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPolunka, on 02 August 2017 - 08:58 PM, said:

First one is about armor points. As you know, nuke coins are capable of increasing armor beyond 100 points (this could be another bug, btw). The problem is, if you already have over 100 armor and happen to pick up an armor vest (either a full one or one dropped by a pigcop), it sets your armor points back to 100.

Ok, I'll fix that. What should happen in that situation is the vest should stay on the ground. It should not be possible to pick it up unless your armor level is below what it would give you.

The remainder are once again related to steroids. Firstly, is it normal that steroids' effect makes you invulnerable to shrink blasts?

Yes, and that is part of the vanilla game as well.

Secondly, I've found out that if you use steroids while shrunk, it prevents you from growing back to normal size.

Using steroids while shrunk should cause you to regain normal size, just as in the vanilla game. I'll fix that.

P.S.: Oh, I almost forgot. Could you please explain what's special about the red pigcops (other than the higher HP)? I've noticed they have a chance of shooting out some reddish-yellowish rays but those don't seem to add anything up to damage they deal. Or do they increase some other characteristics?

P.P.S.: Oh, yeah, and those rays can penetrate masked walls and force fields (without dealing any damage). This may also be considered a bug.

Those pigcops are just tougher and do a bit more damage. The "rays" are pellet trails and have no gameplay impact. Trails on hitscan in EDuke32 will often clip through sprites and walls, even if the bullets themselves do not clip. I kind of like this, and I have relied on it recently when making a railgun that used the trail sprites to determine where the projectile penetrates.

• Duke Plus Developer

Those 2 bugs should be fixed in the new version (see OP). Nothing else was changed.

User is online   Polunka 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 03 August 2017 - 01:48 AM, said:

Those 2 bugs should be fixed in the new version (see OP). Nothing else was changed.

Thank you for a quick reaction and taking care of the problem! :thumbsup:

Yes, and that is part of the vanilla game as well.

Oh, I hadn't ever happened to experience that. Thanks for clarification.

This post has been edited by Polunka: 03 August 2017 - 06:26 PM

User is online   Polunka 

Well, now I've tried it and it doesn't run the con file at all. It says, "Error compiling CON files". I'm attaching the logfile to this post so that you could diagnose the problem. I'm running the latest revision of the source port (as you can see from the logfile). Also, I tried to run the con file both from a subfolder and the main folder, no difference.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Polunka: 03 August 2017 - 08:09 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPolunka, on 03 August 2017 - 08:06 PM, said:

Well, now I've tried it and it doesn't run the con file at all. It says, "Error compiling CON files". I'm attaching the logfile to this post so that you could diagnose the problem. I'm running the latest revision of the source port (as you can see from the logfile). Also, I tried to run the con file both from a subfolder and the main folder, no difference.

Try downloading from the link in the OP again. I had forgotten that I had been doing an experiment and included my strings.con file, which you don't have.

Alternatively, you can simply find and remove the line "include strings.con"

User is online   Polunka 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 03 August 2017 - 11:25 PM, said:

Try downloading from the link in the OP again.

Thank you, it works now.

Alternatively, you can simply find and remove the line "include strings.con"

I shoud've guessed to that myself but, anyway, thanks for the tip!

• Duke Plus Developer

A small update has been released. The download link in the OP has been changed. This update adds some hacks to correct some map errors relating to sprites.

Fixes are based on this post by Nancsi, and include:

• Any enemy or item sprite with a lotag > 4 (causing it to not spawn) is changed to have a lotag of 0
  • Sound effect bit added to sound definitions for grind and short circuit sounds, making them work in maps where they are used as ambient sounds
  • Added tags to recon cars in Babe Land, so that they will follow the path properly
  • Wind ambience sprites in Death Row now have proper range and can be heard
  • Fixed typo on M sprite near beginning of Area 51 which had caused it to not work
  • 4th pigcop will spawn from destroyed ceiling in Red Light District

I decided not to fix most of the non-spawning R sprites, at least for now. There are two reasons for this. One, channels: most of them do have a channel tag, even if it's not the right one, making it hard to identify which sprites need to be fixed. I also need to know which channel I should switch them to. Two, since this will effectively make the maps harder, it may not be a good idea. In the one instance of the 4th pigcop in Red Light District, I know it's a safe move because the player has tons of rockets and shit at that point, and will lose all his ammo at the end of the level anyway. I also didn't fix the non-functional security cameras for now, since that's a bit more involved.

User is offline   Jblade 

Just tried it out, nice work! I did encounter a bug whilst playing my Dracula's castle map though - the Battlelord in the yellow keycard room was showing up in Let's rock, but was unkillable and essentially like a statue. He didn't move around or attack or anything like that - he was tagged to appear on Come get Some difficulty.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJblade, on 05 September 2017 - 12:00 AM, said:

Just tried it out, nice work! I did encounter a bug whilst playing my Dracula's castle map though - the Battlelord in the yellow keycard room was showing up in Let's rock, but was unkillable and essentially like a statue. He didn't move around or attack or anything like that - he was tagged to appear on Come get Some difficulty.

Thanks for the report -- I believe I have found and fixed the bug (same download link as before).

I believe the bug was caused by this code in EVENT_SPAWN

case BOSS1 case BOSS2 case BOSS3 case BOSS4
	 ifn sprite[].pal 0 sizeat 40 40

This was an attempt to prevent spawned minibosses from being super-sized (as happens when they are spawned from the console). What I hadn't considered is that enemies with difficulty tags still go through this event even if they are deleted due to not meeting the difficulty requirement. The way that they are deleted is they are reduced to size 0 0. So what happened is my code reversed the 0 sizing, making him appear, but his statnum did not become 1, hence he remained a statue.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 04 September 2017 - 03:52 PM, said:

A small update has been released. The download link in the OP has been changed. This update adds some hacks to correct some map errors relating to sprites.

Fixes are based on this post by Nancsi, and include:

• Any enemy or item sprite with a lotag > 4 (causing it to not spawn) is changed to have a lotag of 0
  • Sound effect bit added to sound definitions for grind and short circuit sounds, making them work in maps where they are used as ambient sounds
  • Added tags to recon cars in Babe Land, so that they will follow the path properly
  • Wind ambience sprites in Death Row now have proper range and can be heard
  • Fixed typo on M sprite near beginning of Area 51 which had caused it to not work
  • 4th pigcop will spawn from destroyed ceiling in Red Light District

I decided not to fix most of the non-spawning R sprites, at least for now. There are two reasons for this. One, channels: most of them do have a channel tag, even if it's not the right one, making it hard to identify which sprites need to be fixed. I also need to know which channel I should switch them to. Two, since this will effectively make the maps harder, it may not be a good idea. In the one instance of the 4th pigcop in Red Light District, I know it's a safe move because the player has tons of rockets and shit at that point, and will lose all his ammo at the end of the level anyway. I also didn't fix the non-functional security cameras for now, since that's a bit more involved.

I totally agree with your sentiments, although most of those shouldn't make the map harder. Two notable exceptions are the two sentry drones with lotag 9800, with the nearby blue keycard is tagged to 9000 in Warp Factor. That respawn would be insane, although doable. The other is a Fat Commander in LA Rumble which supposed to spawn around the platform with the two atomic health (based on it's Mapster direction and well... common sense). That would be also quite difficult addition, especially considering you are already in a middle of an airborne fight at that time. The others are safe bets.

The cameras are tricky as well, I think the Toxic Dump ones could be easily fixed by removing palettes from one, and re-channeling the other. I also made a maphack of E2L3 cameras some time ago which features all cameras (1 can be added to an existing monitor). I don't know what to do with the Rabid Transit ones though.

Will you try fixing WT bugs, or specific con hack for the WT folder?

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNancsi, on 05 September 2017 - 08:55 AM, said:

Will you try fixing WT bugs, or specific con hack for the WT folder?

I need to actually get WT first!

Also, doesn't running WT maps in EDuke32 require some additional CON code for them to work properly?

Are octabrains supposed to speak? It sounds a little weird...

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options