• You cannot reply to this topic

Quake corner.  "Everything related to the Quake franchise. Discuss here."

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Quake1 release event

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: fast.png

User is offline   Bloodshot 

Since hexen 2 had a really underwhelming amount of chunks for icy deaths I decided to make a new hexen 1-inspired shatter effect

Who's up?

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I've signed up. Im still very underwhelmed. Quake should have had a proper 'Doom' style reboot.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

With Doom's multiplayer having a huge identity crisis being created by Halo/Cod developers and also feeling a lot like them and now this looking more like an Unreal Tournament game, I think I'm only about id Software's singleplayer from now on.

View PostHulkNukem, on 07 March 2017 - 04:19 PM, said:

With Doom's multiplayer having a huge identity crisis being created by Halo/Cod developers

Champions probably won't inspire much more faith, then, as it's being in developed in conjunction with Halo developers. In short, the game's been, at least partially, outsourced to Russia.

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostMarphy Black, on 07 March 2017 - 04:36 PM, said:

Champions probably won't inspire much more faith, then, as it's being in developed in conjunction with Halo developers. In short, the game's been, at least partially, outsourced to Russia.

Those Halo devs also made really good singleplayer fps that is pretty much to me the best modern triple-a fps right after Blood Dragon. It's called Timeshift and it's about timemanipulating and yes, even Activision ripped it off with a game couple years later named Singularity.

This post has been edited by spessu_sb: 08 March 2017 - 02:06 PM

User is offline   petrus 

Just stumbled upon "Quake II Facelift":

"This MOD greatly enhances the visulal quality of Quake 2, it upsamples all the game textures using the powerful Lanczos filter specially designed to increase the visual quality of the resampled image."

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

This (lanczos rendering) would be nice to have for other retro FPS shooters, or at least id tech ones!

Rather than resize the textures, which is a bit of a hack workaround that introduces some unwanted rescaling artifacts, a better solution to maintaining the original intended graphical fidelity is to use a source port that does not downscale the non-power of two textures. I can't speak for all existing Quake 2 source ports, but I know for a fact that Yamagi Quake 2 does this.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Filtering Upscaling is never usually not the answer.

View PostMarphy Black, on 17 April 2017 - 01:17 PM, said:

Rather than resize the textures, which is a bit of a hack workaround that introduces some unwanted rescaling artifacts, a better solution to maintaining the original intended graphical fidelity is to use a source port that does not downscale the non-power of two textures. I can't speak for all existing Quake 2 source ports, but I know for a fact that Yamagi Quake 2 does this.

How much improvement does Yamagi Quake 2 make though? It's been a while since I played Q2, but I don't remember much difference because it was essentially Quakespasm for Quake 2.

Yamagi Quake 2 is intended to aim for the original experience in terms of gameplay and visuals. However, that's not to say there isn't a vast amount changed under the hood to make it more usable on modern systems.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I miss the filtered 3DFX rendering look from older games as opposed to the "straight simple cut rendering" that games do now. I still think the WON version of Half-Life looks better even on OpenGL than the Steam version. I'm thankful for leileilol's attempts at this.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 18 April 2017 - 05:51 AM

http://www.moddb.com...os-now-on-moddb

Hexen 2 mod is up on moddb, I've named it shadows of chaos, and demo release is near

Have some promo shots

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And here's a vid showing some of the new blood effects

http://www.moddb.com...ustom-deathgore

While messing around in Quake's expansion Scourge of Armagon, the one made by Hipnotic Software aka Ritual Entertainment, I stumbled across what seems to be an entirely undocumented "You're not supposed to be here!" secret message from Levelord. In the map HIP1M4, you find the room with the Silver Key has a window with a view to some outside canyons. Note the section circled in green:
Posted Image

If you get past the bars at the circled portion, you'll find you won't fall to your death. Rather, you end up walking along an invisible pathway that directs you straight ahead:
Posted Image

Walk forward and you'll discover that part of the canyon is just an illusion:
Posted Image

Continue forward and you'll receive Levelord's familiar greeting along with some Yellow Armor for your troubles:
Posted Image

Now, the reason why this secret (which isn't counted in the map's total) is likely so unknown today is that it's actually impossible to reach without cheating by noclip. However, what's interesting here is that this doesn't seem to have been Levelord's intention. The bars I circled previously are actually func_wall entities, meaning they could have been scripted to be removed by a trigger. Here's a comparison of the bars with entities enabled and disabled (the func_illusionary canyon also disappears):
Posted Image Posted Image

Unfortunately, there's no actual scripting present that would affect these bars. The entities have no targetname either, so it is impossible for them to be triggered regardless.

This discovery spurred me on to examine the other levels in the expansions, and I found a handful of other secrets (by Levelord and otherwise) which seemingly have never been documented before as well. I'll get to outlining those too, but I'm beginning to wonder just how many secrets have been overlooked for what's going on 20+ years now.

Demo is released

View PostBloodshot, on 01 May 2017 - 08:32 PM, said:

That looks fun, I'll download it when I get home.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 02 May 2017 - 07:13 AM

http://www.moddb.com...s-modding-suite

^ I've released all the tools ive gathered for modding hexen 2 as well as my custom FGD and map sources, so if anybody wants to try their hand at mapping or modifying the mod they have an easy way to get what they need (source code came with the demo)

Quake Champions is aight, been playing the beta
What isn't aight is the community; it's already full of 'pros' putting down anyone they play with

User is offline   LkMax 

Bethesda is probably not going after you but remember there's a stupid NDA in effect.
In other news, if anyone want a Quake Champions key I have some spare left, so just ask and I'll send through PM. all gone.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 10 May 2017 - 07:21 AM

User is offline   Malgon 

A hand-drawn map for Quake that Romero has loaned the Bullock Texas State History Museum.

Posted Image

"Pong to Pokemon: The Evolution of Electronic Gaming" will be coming to the Bullock Texas State History Museum in Austin beginning on July 29, and will trace the contributions of Texas game developers to the ever-growing industry. "Texas is one of the states with the greatest number of game developers in the U.S. and is home to companies that have been at the forefront of the industry for decades," Jenny Peterson, associate curator of Exhibitions at the museum, told Shacknews. "Today, the state ranks third in having the most video game personnel in the nation, accounting for approximately seven percent of total industry employment nationwide. Many of the most successful games ever created were born in Texas, including Doom, Quake, Ultima, Wing Commander, Half-Life, and Borderlands."

Apparently this will run through until March 18, 2018 and will contain items from Richard Garriott and Warren Spector as well, so if anyone is able to visit they'll get to see some unseen memorabilia related to the likes of Doom, Quake, Ultima and more!

Original article

The NDA for Quake Champions was lifted.
With that, Quake Champions is aight

User is offline   LkMax 

Though I prefer single-player games, I did enjoy the beta. Nyx invisibility is a cheap trick IMO but other than that I liked the gameplay and the movement, the powers have a good cooldown and are not too overpowered I think, and the graphics were a welcome upgrade over the decade old games.
Anyone can try it for themselves anyway, everyone who registered is getting a key now, and free is free.

I was doing some testing, and i had completely fucking forgot i had made this as a test a while back

imagine my surprise when shooting a grunt and having this happen

I'm impressed there is collision with the ammo box

View PostHulkNukem, on 17 May 2017 - 08:33 PM, said:

I'm impressed there is collision with the ammo box

There isn't.
If you look closely when the enemy is shrunk, it floats in midair for a while, giving the illusion of standing on the ammo box. It also happens to the one in the elevator room.

You are correct, it's just a physics glitch with MOVETYPE_STEP caused by the AI still being considered on the floor, so until he has velocity applied to him he floats in the air.

I could give the ammo boxes collision, but that would fuck with things for obvious reasons, though maybe it'd be worth it to see a grunt patrolling the top of an ammo box

Made a spindown anim for the SNG

User is offline   petrus 

Bloodshot: Have you considered doing a nQuake/ezQuake compatible version of your of you Quake_1.5_Weapons_Pack?

Or bullet time for your "Brutal Quake" mod, like this:

This post has been edited by petrus: 25 May 2017 - 07:43 PM

I have a version with no hands i made for QS somewhere floating around somewhere, the hand models fuck up the models for non-dp engines. If i can find it i'll upload it.

I actually could do bullet time with darkplaces not too bad since it supports slowmo out of the box, and i could probably make a shootdodge too. I would need to convert the grunt's shotgun attack to projectiles only in slowmo and somehow figure out how to make the shambler attack dodgeable. It would take some time, but it's very doable.

My mod is using SMC as a base btw, which has builtin randomized slowmo when you gib enemies from time to time. It's not quite the same but it's still fun.

I imported the hipnotic weapons, sorta

In the vein of my earlier post, here's another seemingly obscure Quake secret I stumbled upon, this time in the other expansion, Dissolution of Eternity. In the map R2M5, you can noclip into the void to find a small inaccessible room featuring candles flanking an altar using the Jesus face texture. (Incidentally, there's another unrelated Easter egg in this same map using the same texture: the "Do not defy God" message.)

If you perform 1,000 damage to the altar, the Jesus face will disappear to reveal the initials ST and KP written in brushes, and the message "The unholy division of life" will pop up.

Posted Image

I should probably upload this somewhere better, but here's a recorded clip on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/...734077497921537

This message is probably a declaration of love to someone from the level designer, Steve Tietze, hence the ST initials.

Share this topic:

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options