• 44 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior - "New Episode"

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

The end scene after the last boss fight in episode 1 looked pretty messed up. Like it only has 8 colors and really low resolution.

In the branch I just fixed the random crash that would happen in the game. Basically the SW sound system was freeing memory the sound thread was trying to use at the time.

NEW BINARY RELEASE:

!!PLEASE DELETE ALL YOUR SAVED GAME DATA BEFORE PLAYING THIS PATCH!!!

PLEASE SEE UPDATED BINARIES: https://forums.duke4...post__p__278559

WHATS FIXED:
  • Fixed a random crash that was caused by the SW sound system freeing memory that was actively in use by the SDL mixer.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 31 May 2017 - 08:34 PM

User is offline   TDRR 

Something else i need to know, and sorry if you already specified this but... Has this already been merged with the main EDuke32 codebase? Or do i need to do something else in order to get the Source Code/Stuff that makes this SW?

No shadow warrior changes that I've done are in the eduke32 codebase. The code for this is on my github.

User is offline   TDRR 

Thanks, im going to have a lot of fun trying to get this to run!

View PostTDRR, on 30 May 2017 - 11:47 AM, said:

Thanks, im going to have a lot of fun trying to get this to run!

I look forward to seeing what kind of mods you make!

User is offline   Forge 

I'm really having to spam loads and saves to get it to crash now.

View PostForge, on 30 May 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

I'm really having to spam loads and saves to get it to crash now.

So to confirm you aren't getting crashes during normal play through, the only crashes you are getting is when you spam the load/save system?

User is offline   Forge 

View Posticecoldduke, on 30 May 2017 - 02:49 PM, said:

So to confirm you aren't getting crashes during normal play through, the only crashes you are getting is when you spam the load/save system?

correct.
I played all the way through episode 1 without a random crash.
I've currently played to the fifth or sixth level of episode two without a random crash.

My normal habit is to save at the beginning of a map, play it through, then save at the beginning of the next map. Most of the time I quit at that point and take a break. Come back and load that save and play the map to the end & save at the beginning of the next level. Repeat.

I died once in the harbor map due to being trapped under water. I loaded the save from the beginning of that level and played the entire level just fine. No crash.

I made a new game. Saved, loaded, died, loaded, saved, loaded, died, loaded, died re-started, loaded, loaded, loaded & then it finally crashed. I did this fairly rapidly and in e2l1 - the map that was giving me so many crashes earlier.

This post has been edited by Forge: 30 May 2017 - 03:38 PM

User is offline   Forge 

Finally had my first random crash - it happened when I opened the red - locked door in sumo sky palace.
the save is at the start of the map
I've played it a couple times and it crashes in the same spot every time - opening the red-key locked door

Attached File  game0.zip (136.63K)
Number of downloads: 1

This post has been edited by Forge: 30 May 2017 - 04:49 PM

User is offline   Forge 

maybe not so random?
if I make the character look at the floor and nothing else - the game won't crash, and I can bolt through that section - the trick is to survive getting though those spinning blade barriers without being able to look at them.
If I try it enough times, eventually I'll get past them.

This post has been edited by Forge: 30 May 2017 - 05:46 PM

User is offline   Forge 

Confirmed:
getting past that section by going through blind allows for continued play without crashes.
there's something about that section with the spinning blade spindles that causes the game to crash.
this map is pretty buggy.
the ladders under the palace aren't very friendly.
using the one to go down will drop the player into space - it's best just to fall down the middle of the hole and take fall damage when hitting the platform
the ladder going up is squish happy - pushing forward and any point kills the player. when the player gets to the top they have to keep pushing up bouncing in no-man's space until the room finally appears - then they have to strafe-jump off the ladder - pushing forward will still squish
the raising & lowering platforms in the lava lake damage the player - i believe from a combination of still taking lava damage & being bounced.

also the end cut scene after the sumo wrestler fight is of pretty low quality - again as if it's only 8 colors and very low resolution.

This post has been edited by Forge: 30 May 2017 - 05:39 PM

I'll take a deeper look into the issue tomorrow, I played through once and I couldn't get the crash. Thanks for the bug report!

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I really appreciate icecoldduke's efforts to provide an up-to-date port for SW based on EDuke32 at long last. I will surely play the game and both addons again with it once all major issues have been sorted out. A new episode also sounds like a great idea, especially since it's really rare that we see new levels for the game with a more modern design. Pretty much all the addons for the game are quite old and don't reflect what mappers are able to accomplish these days.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 30 May 2017 - 11:47 PM

In the branch I added the rest of the code for editing the rest of the tags in mapster. I'm going to do some more testing before I make a binary and ensure there isn't any code in Mapster that's bashing these values; I was able to make a sector in our version of mapster that caused damage to the player.

Does anyone have a guide on how to setup a door? I know I have to use the ST1 TAG1 SECT_VATOR but I'm not sure how to set it up.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 31 May 2017 - 04:49 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View Posticecoldduke, on 31 May 2017 - 04:48 AM, said:

In the branch I added the rest of the code for editing the rest of the tags in mapster. I'm going to do some more testing before I make a binary and ensure there isn't any code in Mapster that's bashing these values; I was able to make a sector in our version of mapster that caused damage to the player.

Does anyone have a guide on how to setup a door? I know I have to use the ST1 TAG1 SECT_VATOR but I'm not sure how to set it up.

Here is the old FAQ from Jonah Bishop http://www.r-t-c-m.c...ld/mpfqsw15.zip
Doors are included and many other basic principles, with maps and so on.

This post has been edited by Hank: 31 May 2017 - 09:27 AM

User is offline   Forge 

Couple random crashes in Floating Fortress - both times it let me load my saved game and keep going without any issues- and another buggy ladder in the ship getting from the mess hall back up to the blue locked door.
Seems like a few ladders in the game make the player get stuck in some kind of void at the top of the ladder - just have to keep pressing jump and eventually it lets the player reach the top sector.

User is offline   Forge 

A bit of a more persistent random crash in Stone Rain - right before opening the door to go in the final boss fight room (had 4 or 5 there while killing the enemies). Had one during the boss fight as well.
I did save during the level though after each mini-boss fight & prior to getting to the last boss - so maybe the extra saves made it a bit more unstable.

And of course the final cut scene looked really poor.

Finished both episodes (in polymost). What else do you want looked at?

This post has been edited by Forge: 31 May 2017 - 12:34 PM

View PostForge, on 31 May 2017 - 12:34 PM, said:

A bit of a more persistent random crash in Stone Rain - right before opening the door to go in the final boss fight room (had 4 or 5 there while killing the enemies). Had one during the boss fight as well.
I did save during the level though after each mini-boss fight & prior to getting to the last boss - so maybe the extra saves made it a bit more unstable.

And of course the final cut scene looked really poor.

Finished both episodes (in polymost). What else do you want looked at?

Wow thanks for the feedback on the bugs, really detailed and awesome. Can you play both expansion packs if you have time?

EDIT:
If you can also can you make a couple videos detailing for me how to repo the crashes?

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 31 May 2017 - 12:45 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View Posticecoldduke, on 31 May 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

Wow thanks for the feedback on the bugs, really detailed and awesome. Can you play both expansion packs if you have time?

EDIT:
If you can also can you make a couple videos detailing for me how to repo the crashes?

i have the two main expansions.

the crashes are completely random - My last save is basically right before the player walks into the room for the final boss fight, so I've already passed the point that was causing the most crashes. As for playing it further - Sometimes it crashes immediately after firing a rocket, sometimes it crashes a little later into the fight, sometimes it doesn't crash at all.
I really couldn't point at one specific action, event, sound, or graphic that would be causing it.

Here's the save. Maybe you can dissect it.
Attached File  game0.zip (172.94K)
Number of downloads: 2

This post has been edited by Forge: 31 May 2017 - 02:40 PM

User is offline   Forge 

WD's episode selection menu seems to be displaying the one for the default original game.

entering the sewer some sound got stuck in a loop and the game was making a sort of ticking noise.
the ladder coming up out of the sewer is acting weird. it threw the player up on this roof and jacked up how the dual uzis are displayed

btw, tga screenshots should be allowed as attachments, but apparently not.

Attached File  swcp0001.jpg (201.18K)
Number of downloads: 19

User is offline   Forge 

As soon as i finished the first map of WD it went to to e2l1 of the original game.
am i supposed to remove the sw.grp file from the base directory?

User is offline   Forge 

View PostForge, on 31 May 2017 - 03:43 PM, said:

As soon as i finished the first map of WD it went to to e2l1 of the original game.
am i supposed to remove the sw.grp file from the base directory?

the short answer is yes.
if the original sw.grp is left in the base directory along with the wt.grp - then the game will load the wrong enemies, sounds, art, levels, etc.

User is offline   Forge 

http://www.mediafire...7-44-08-027.mp4

vid of e1l1 of WD

note the odd behavior at the top of the ladder (this happens on several ladders in the original episode as well)
also how the screen kinda 'glitches' when the wall blows up on the upper story of the building after getting the red card. This is seen in-game as well, and the earthquake effect in the original episodes can cause this too.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Posted Image

I couldn't get the st1 tagging to work, but I did copy paste edit sectors ... made this transparent water floor over floor room using your editor.

here is some stuff (lookup.dat & voxels.def for mapster + this little map)
Attached File  stuff.zip (19.8K)
Number of downloads: 2

View PostDrek, on 31 May 2017 - 06:39 PM, said:

I couldn't get the st1 tagging to work

What kind of issues are you having? I just committed some fixes and additions to SW Mapster, can you try again and see what happens?

Posted Image
So I'm trying to make a door the player can open, check out the red outlined area. I added code to display all bool_tags and tags on selected sprites. Can you guys see anything wrong? The sector ceiling comes down to the floor but I can't open it.

Disregard I figured it out. I had a lotag on the door sector, which was causing the game not to set the sector lotag to TAG_VATOR which the door code uses to figure out if the player is close to a door.

So with the SW Mapster in my branch I was able to make a door from scratch :P.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 31 May 2017 - 08:11 PM

NEW BINARY RELEASE:

New patch
https://forums.duke4...post__p__278907

WHATS NEWS:
  • MAPSTER: You can now use swmapster to build maps. Tag editing works properly in 2dview, there are bugs in 3dview so please only edit tags in 2dview.
  • MAPSTER: All tag information is displayed in 3d mode when hovering over a sprite(not yet implemented for sectors or walls).
  • MAPSTER: Fixed a bug were garbage values were getting put into new sprites and creating garbage tags.

To launch swmapster run "RunSWEditor.bat", remember Mapster is built into the exe.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 04 June 2017 - 08:23 PM

On the topic of multiplayer, does anyone know off hand what was broken about multiplayer in the original 1.2 source code? I know I tried to implement a proper client/server implantation before, but I'm just taking about the original peer-to-peer code, does anyone know what was wrong with it originally?

I'm not talking about tech(like latency for example), but did it work at all in the original source code release?

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 01 June 2017 - 06:37 AM

User is offline   necroslut 

From what I remember, multiplayer over LAN worked fine in JFSW.

Share this topic:

• 44 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options