Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   juvenite 

View PostMicky C, on 17 May 2017 - 04:47 PM, said:

I think it looks pretty fresh, nice job.

Dare I say it reminds me slightly of the Arsia Mons missions in the AMC TC Posted Image

Thanks Posted Image

View Postaglavic, on 17 May 2017 - 07:17 PM, said:

Hey that's a nice idea :( nice look of a futuristic city. I'd suggest you to use some more aggressive shading, i'm sure it will improve the atmosphere a lot

Attached Image: capt0011.png like this? I darkened the shadows, if that's what you meant Posted Image

This post has been edited by Katrix Kytarix: 18 May 2017 - 02:09 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

If you're going to make it that dark, add some lamps around the place.

View PostPaul B, on 17 May 2017 - 07:38 PM, said:

The last few months i've been binge watching a TV series. Can you guess which one?

Mr Bean?

This post has been edited by Micky C: 18 May 2017 - 04:05 AM

Hm, then I think I'll brighten it up a bit. I want most (if not all) lighting to be natural in outdoor areas (if that's even a good idea).

User is offline   aglavic 

like this? I darkened the shadows, if that's what you meant

With aggressive shading I mean more difference between bright and dark parts, for example in your last screenshot I'd try making the background wall (the one with the posters) bright to give contrast with the other sides

User is offline   NNC 

Rio de Janeiro is one of the many famous locations that was a missed opportunity in World Tour. You should try some E5 textures and enemies for it, and we should have that as an inofficial E5L9. The screen looked marvellous!

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 18 May 2017 - 11:15 AM

View Postaglavic, on 18 May 2017 - 07:25 AM, said:

With aggressive shading I mean more difference between bright and dark parts, for example in your last screenshot I'd try making the background wall (the one with the posters) bright to give contrast with the other sides

I could make it a bit brighter, it's just that not much light is supposed to hit that wall, because of the direction of the lighting I chose to that area.
Maybe I could use the posters as an 'excuse', as I'm working on them to look like holograms projected from the sector's floor, so naturally the walls would also be brighter.

But anyway, I understand what you're saying, I'll try doing that, although darker environments are something that I personally find appealing.

This post has been edited by Katrix Kytarix: 18 May 2017 - 04:17 PM

User is offline   aglavic 

Rio de Janeiro is one of the many famous locations that was a missed opportunity in World Tour. You should try some E5 textures and enemies for it, and we should have that as an inofficial E5L9. The screen looked marvellous!

Thanks :( But anyway i'm not using new textures or anything else. Just classic duke as always :(

User is offline   Paul B 

I've been sinking quite a bit of time into this 24 Tv Series CTU level. Of course the more I add the faster my frame rate drops. I'm curious if anyone knows what renders faster, a sector with about 16 vertexes used for shading or a single sprite object used as a replacement to shade? From what I can tell there doesn't appear to be much difference.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 20 May 2017 - 09:18 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPaul B, on 20 May 2017 - 08:47 PM, said:

I've been sinking quite a bit of time into this 24 Tv Series CTU level. Of course the more I add the faster my frame rate drops. I'm curious if anyone knows what renders faster, a sector with about 16 vertexes used for shading or a single sprite object used as a replacement to shade? From what I can tell there doesn't appear to be much difference.

I've been told that polymer fps drops when there are lots of red sector lines in view. I would guess that a single sprite would be less of a hit on performance than 16 walls, other things being equal. With a sprite, I would worry about visual glitches and how it will look when there are lit projectiles passing over it and such.

I would also worry that if you are getting a noticeable drop in framerate before you have added monsters etc., then the finished map could be unplayable.

User is offline   Jolteon 

BRAAAAAAIIIIIINNNSSSSS!!!!!!

Attached Image: Zombie liztroop sprites.png

I might actually change the sprites a bit in the future.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Sometimes it is more convenient to place a tripbomb on the ground.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Next up, sloped surfaces? :(

• Honored Donor

View PostTrooper Dan, on 24 May 2017 - 02:08 AM, said:

https://www.youtube....h?v=BzFMklUZDqw

Actually in that case I think it would have been more convenient to place it on the wall so the laser crossed the hallway width Posted Image

View PostDaedolon, on 24 May 2017 - 02:49 AM, said:

Well if he used a voxel for the tripmine, and the eduke devs get around to allowing voxel rotation through coordinate transformation, then something might be possible.

• Ancient Blood God

Model rotations are already in, so I guess there's that.

• Honored Donor

Not for the classic renderer. Voxels are the way to go.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 24 May 2017 - 02:08 AM, said:

The easy buttons fix and this Tripbomb ground placing shouldn't be part of a future update for Dukeplus instead of two separated mods? Indeed, even your personal Fissile Material site need a little update.

Those cartridges are from the Cosmetic Duke mod?

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 24 May 2017 - 05:33 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDaedolon, on 24 May 2017 - 02:49 AM, said:

This particular project will only include a single CON file, so models and voxels aren't an option. The vertical laser line is made of tile 3163 from the mini font.

• Ancient Blood God

What's up with the pistol magazine? Just curious if you're only doing the tripbomb edit.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDaedolon, on 24 May 2017 - 11:12 AM, said:

What's up with the pistol magazine? Just curious if you're only doing the tripbomb edit.

There's a lot more than the tripbomb edit (notice the jibs, for example). The pistol magazine is the sprite that appears when you change out the pistol clip, normally only seen in the hud for a split second. I swapped it in for the AMMO pickup, because I think it looks better, even though if you look carefully you can see there are no bullets in it.

This mod, which I'm calling "Essential Duke" is my attempt to make a lot of shit better using only code. Another thing I've done is a new shrinking system whereby shrunken actors retain their full range of normal behavior, but they are small and harmless (and can be stomped). So they can still attack and jump etc., but they make high pitched sounds, they move slow, their projectiles are tiny and do little or no damage, and so on.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

What if they're shrunk and they shoot you with a shrinker?
Does it only affect bits and pieces - perhaps a leg or something, so you have to hop around on one foot, and when you try to use the mighty boot it looks like a midget's leg.

This post has been edited by Forge: 24 May 2017 - 03:41 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 24 May 2017 - 03:39 PM, said:

What if they're shrunk and they shoot you with a shrinker?
Does it only affect bits and pieces - perhaps a leg or something, so you have to hop around on one foot, and when you try to use the mighty boot it looks like a midget's leg.

Haha, not really a concern because the only enemy with a shrinker is newbeast, and they are immune to the shrinker themselves.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

I think Forge is suggesting that the monsters use the shrinker from time to time when shrunk but it won't be as effective as the regular shrinker hence the funny behaviour. Or maybe he's just joking go figure...

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 24 May 2017 - 05:14 PM

User is offline   Gambini 

what if they aim to your parts and when you go to the urinals duke says this sucks!

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Or they use the expander, then Duke says, "Suck it down"

This post has been edited by Forge: 24 May 2017 - 08:53 PM

User is offline   Jaap 

I have been working on some mini games to add in my mod. Here are some two videos of my slot machines (the sprites still need a lot of work).

Slot machines can spawn goodies (using respawnhitag):

They can also operate activators:

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I like the new hand sprite with the pointing finger. Any chance you would be willing to share that?

User is offline   Jaap 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 25 May 2017 - 11:39 AM, said:

I like the new hand sprite with the pointing finger. Any chance you would be willing to share that?

Sure, I put it on the stockpile page:
https://forums.duke4...881#entry277881

Posted Image

It's not what you think it is.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMister Sinister, on 26 May 2017 - 12:16 PM, said:

It's not what you think it is.

So it's not a new map that you're working on?

It is a new map, but it's not exactly alien-themed.

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options