• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

I have to say it's very surprising how people like him are allowed in business. I'm not even referring to his insulting but rather to his attitude. Competent businessman with Duke IP would work very close to fanbase if he cared about money and good reputation (a lot of people didn't buy WT and many other GB games solely because of terrible Gearbox rep). Sounds like only SEGA understands how to deal with fanbase no matter how "bitchy" they are.

Funny, but not even modders on Duke4 are such whinny cunts who can't take criticism and these people work for free while produce better quality content. Yet a guy who supposed to make better quality stuff because it's his fucking job to do so is whining about "selfish" community, a guy who is getting paid to make this. He's even worse than Capcom which can't fix SFV and which also has better support from modders (many outfits from modders are better than official paid costumes). Is this some kind of parallel universe or something? Because I would like to go back then. In my country he would be eaten alive if he started business there.

User is offline   NNC 

Yea, they should be aware of the Boss5 and Firefly glitches, which is still unfixed. Or release the 3 expansion packs at least on the Workshop.

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

View PostNancsi, on 12 May 2017 - 07:19 AM, said:

Or release the 3 expansion packs at least on the Workshop.

No workshop support in World Tour.

When asked about the expansions Randy had this to say.
Posted Image

Basically he has no reason except he just didn't want to..I mean it isn't like lots of people have complained about it...who gives a shit right?! Reissuing games with less content just because. Gotta love Randy. When asked again he suggested there could be room for it in a future definitive release...yeah sounds like Randy is totally not trying to squeeze as much money out of Duke with as little effort as possible.

This post has been edited by HiPolyBash: 12 May 2017 - 03:56 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostHiPolyBash, on 12 May 2017 - 03:52 PM, said:

http://steamcommunit...34050/workshop/

The addons wouldn't work properly through the workshop anyway though

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

View PostLunick, on 12 May 2017 - 04:15 PM, said:

http://steamcommunit...34050/workshop/

The addons wouldn't work properly through the workshop anyway though

I didn't think World Tour supported the Workshop...wasn't there some reason that it was basically useless?

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

I guess it was useless because WT was dead on arrival? Everyone basically forgot about WT in a few weeks and only Hendricks still supported that .grp fix for way more time (I bet only because this is the only legit alternative right now to buy Duke), so people who don't have GOG or Steam versions could play EDuke32 using WT .grp. Does it even have official tools to make maps which have nothing to do with EDuke32? If there is none that's another reason why Workshop basically died (I really don't remember if there are tools). Not everyone on Steam is aware of Duke4. It doesn't make it any better that their port is closed source and is also different from original, something with what modders were more familiar because they knew what to expect (and again, they had tools and more freedom).

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 12 May 2017 - 04:32 PM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

That patch they made basically happened only because TerminX and a few others pushed it and told them what to fix and how (thanks again for that, btw). Without that, they would have just let it stay the way it was on release.

Don't get me wrong, I like the new levels and Lee Jackson's music. But there were a lot of sloppy things which are still there that indicate they didn't really mean it. What bothers me most is JSJ's poor voiceacting performance (which he unfortunately continued in Bulletstorm, so it wasn't a one-timer) and the ep.5 boss which was simply trolling players.

My hope is that one day EDuke32 will fully support WT (although progress on that has kinda slowed down right now as far as I can see) and someone from the comm will at least provide a mod/fix to make the boss more challenging.

Personally, I am more excited about the Bombshell prequel by now than I have ever been regarding WT. Why? Because I know it's done by people who truly care about their game.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 13 May 2017 - 01:46 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

That's harsh. I don't believe Blum, Levelord, Lee Jackson and even Pitchford didn't "truly care" about Alien World Order.
It's just that the ep lacks polish in many areas and that frankly, especially if we look at it through our standard, the standard of people who can work YEARS on a single map obsessing over little details before releasing it.

View PostHiPolyBash, on 12 May 2017 - 03:52 PM, said:

When asked about the expansions Randy had this to say.
http://i.imgur.com/xOP3xtg.png

Basically he has no reason except he just didn't want to..I mean it isn't like lots of people have complained about it...who gives a shit right?! Reissuing games with less content just because. Gotta love Randy. When asked again he suggested there could be room for it in a future definitive release...yeah sounds like Randy is totally not trying to squeeze as much money out of Duke with as little effort as possible.

I'm saddened to see he misses the big picture here. Yes, everyone complaining about the add-ons already has them, but that's the thing, those people like them so much they want others to discover them too. One who doesn't complain about it, because he doesn't know, if the add-ons were included, he'd play the original game, would be begging for more, so then he'd launch the add-ons and discover that Caribbean Life and Duke It Out In DC are really great. Even if at first hand, that person didn't particularly care simply because he didn't know.

But the most important is that it's part of DN3D's legacy. If the point of World Tour, like I think he said, was to replace the other versions and to become the ultimate version of the game, for all future generations, then the legacy should be complete and the add-ons should be there.

Except maybe Nuclear Winter, I wouldn't be mad if that one was forgotten.

• The Truth is in here

I was primarily addressing Gearbox with this. I have no complaints about the levels or the music, it's just that the overall package didn't seem to get the final polish. And it was denied to receive it retroactively. I see that effort was put into it, and not little. I acknowledge that. It just wasn't enough.

If WT was the final "real" (independent) entry in the Duke Nukem franchise (at least right now it looks that), then it would have needed to be better.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 13 May 2017 - 01:58 AM

So I started the new episode after doing a playthrough of the original ones. I've played the originals in Let's Rock difficulty, and the new one is being played in Come Get Some difficulty.

All I'll say is, judging from the two first levels, Blum and Levelord are as sharp as ever. Last fight in High Times emulates the 720 degree effect in Lunatic Fringe and is quite difficult, because the Fireflies bombard you with flamethrowers, and the two Battlelords make your life miserable. :( I think the Fireflies are best dealt with using explosives, because explosives are the only things that seem to work against them while they're in firefly mode.

Incinerator is not particularly special, but probably good for crowd control. It's also a much needed grenade launcher-type of weapon in Duke, being similar to SW2013's flamethrower's alt fire.

The Firefly enemy reminds me of those shadow ninjas from SW1997, though not as destructive. Since they explode when killed, Shrinker is probably not a good weapon against them.

Duke says "Eat shit and die!" when killing Overlords. Appropriate, I'd say. :( Speaking of Overlords, using large bosses in normal levels seems to have been a good idea, as Duke is the only Build game from the holy trinity that didn't do this, since the only boss used in Atomic Edition is the Mini Battlelord. The Mini Overlord is incredibly easy to kill even without much room to dodge its missiles and is nowhere near as threatening as the Mini Battlelord.

Soundtrack of the first two levels is absolutely fantastic.

So yes, I'm really liking the new episode so far. In my money, WT didn't actually cost as much as in the US, so I'd say it was a worthwhile investment.

• The Truth is in here

Gotta admit I really only played WT because of the new levels. Immediately uninstalled after I was finished (2h). Had a good time, but for me there was nothing else to do after that.

Maybe I will play the old levels with new lighting in EDuke32 one day, but right now I cannot say I feel the desire to do so.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 21 May 2017 - 12:32 PM

User is offline   NNC 

View PostNightFright, on 21 May 2017 - 12:30 PM, said:

Gotta admit I really only played WT because of the new levels. Immediately uninstalled after I was finished (2h). Had a good time, but for me there was nothing else to do after that.

Maybe I will play the old levels with new lighting in EDuke32 one day, but right now I cannot say I feel the desire to do so.

Didn't even save the new maps/art/music/con for EDuke32 play? I had much fun of replaying and exploring some of the levels in Build.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 21 May 2017 - 06:22 PM

View PostNightFright, on 21 May 2017 - 12:30 PM, said:

Yeah, that's my only interest in it as well, though Firefly and Incinerator are good additions. I plan to do the vast majority of my Duke-ing in EDuke32 anyway, as I was doing before. Hopefully we can run E5 in EDuke32 without much trouble in the future, as there's already progress in that front. :(

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I still need to pick it up. I want to try the new episode, but I mainly want Lee's new music files.

• The Truth is in here

View PostNancsi, on 21 May 2017 - 06:22 PM, said:

Didn't even save the new maps/art/music/con for EDuke32 play? I had much fun of replaying and exploring some of the levels in Build.

I did that, but right now I am playing other games I have ignored for quite too long. Shadow Warrior 2, for example. :(

User is offline   NNC 

Speaking of Build watching, it was quite interesting to see that both designers kept their "mistakes" through their E5 levels. Levelord still used pal 21 respawns for liztroops, despite being obvious it's not working in the game. Also Levelord used tag 1 for skill settings all the time like in his original levels, while Allen used tag 1 randomly on a few occasions, despite tag 1 is completely meaningless ingame, and they supposed to know it. Also Levelord still prefer to use higher repeat size for commanders and turrets, like in his original levels.

It looked like a deliberate continuity of their old work.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 22 May 2017 - 08:32 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

New Levelord and Blum contributions is well worth it, despite the glitches and the weird production decisions. Getting that for just 15 quid is pretty good value. JMHO.

User is offline   Hank 

It's not the money. $21.00 Canadian Dollars, is like going for coffee with your girl. But I will not recommend paying for said coffee if it is half brewed, even if it served in a super fine porcelain cup.

Those 'minor' glitches are what is making the excellent new work from Mr. Blum, Mr. Gray and Mr. Lee pretty sad.

User is offline   axl 

View PostHank, on 22 May 2017 - 10:06 AM, said:

It's not the money. $21.00 Canadian Dollars, is like going for coffee with your girl. But I will not recommend paying for said coffee if it is half brewed, even if it served in a super fine porcelain cup.

Those 'minor' glitches are what is making the excellent new work from Mr. Blum, Mr. Gray and Mr. Lee pretty sad.

May I add that the new renderer itself was also quite nice...

View PostNancsi, on 22 May 2017 - 08:25 AM, said:

It looked like a deliberate continuity of their old work.

CTRL-C CTRL-V

They most likely referenced their original levels to get back up to speed on how to do things. When it comes to knowing the detailed ins and outs several people around here know far more than anyone paid to work with the engine ever knew.

Finished the game! Some SERIOUS issues that require a patch:

1) Poor sprite placement. I've seen lots of sprites on top of sprites, in some cases eggs above other eggs.

2) Mini Cycloid needs to be made immune to its own rockets (like Cyberdemon in Doom). It had the potential to be a terrifying enemy, but it'll often blow itself up with its barrage of RPG fire.

3) Some monsters are placed poorly and have poor paths, so they're not as dangerous as they could've been. Often seen with minibosses.

4) Firefly is underutilized throughout the game. Apart from the first level, it's most often used in places where it's not as big a threat as it could've been.

5) Shrinker, Expander and Freezer are very underutilized. In the case of Shrinker it's a good thing, but Freezer lost its main utility (almost no Newbeasts so it's not as useful) and Expander ammo is ridiculously scarce. This was done to make room for Incinerator, but I find Incinerator too slow of a weapon and its only asset is shooting projectiles in an arc. It also helps keeping enemies at distance, but you can do the job with other weapons just fine.

6) Overuse of STAYPUT bosses and minibosses. In some cases this is not detrimental to difficulty because the fight is still difficult (Cycloid in Bloody Hell). In others, however, it makes the fights way too easy (Battlelord in Tour De Nukem), because you can cheese the bosses like there's no tomorrow.

7) Prima Arena (secret level) was clearly designed around pistol start, but the game will not let you pick secret levels on main menu (perhaps it does via command line on PC). If you go in there with an assortment of weapons, the Battlelord is just too easy to dispose of, which makes the level incredibly easy because the reason the Battlelord is there is to keep pummeling you with chaingun and mortar fire while you collect the keys. If you went into the level with only pistol, you'd have to collect the RPG and Devastator in the aqueducts to stand a chance against the Battlelord, which would make the fight a lot harder.

8) Last boss was designed by someone who clearly didn't get the point of Duke3D. In original Duke3D Atomic Edition, ALL the bosses have powerful ranged attacks, because they squish you in close quarters so you have to mind your distance and their ranged attacks are a way for them to reach you from afar. However, the Cycloid Incinerator's only attacks are a pitifully short-ranged Incinerator and summoning Fireflies, which is pointless because you're never going to stay close to the boss under normal circumstances and it's completely harmless against you at long range. Battlelord and original Cycloid shit all over this guy, heck, even the Overlord is harder, because Overlord missiles are game over if they hit and the arena is small with no cover. Queen is unfair to compare because the fight is underwater so it's harder by default.

Now the good things:

1) Map design is excellent. Probably not worth 20 bucks considering there are so many great community mods, but the levels look really good and have great design as well as good difficulty.

2) Mini Battlelords used as cannoneers from long range. Nice touch since they're incredibly accurate, and a new spin on what's effectively the most terrifying monster in the game.

3) Music is amazing. Lee Jackson far surpassed his work in the original Duke3D.

4) Troopers seem to employ jetpack assaults more often than in the original levels, which makes them a bit more challenging.

5) The boss fight in Red Ruckus is probably the best one in the game. Overlord by himself is not very dangerous, but add in a Mini Battlelord and a Mini Overlord and there's a lot more to deal with.

Overall, the package lacks polish and has some really bad issues that could've been addressed with better Q&A, but the levels are a nice addition to Duke lineup, Firefly could be an interesting enemy if utilized better, and Incinerator is an important additional weapon because of its grenade launcher style of play.

Seems Duke Nukem 3D World Tour is on sale for $10 on Steam End's July

Found Out the lot of Duke Nukem Stuff is on Sale wish I could buy Bombshell it like 3 bucks right now love to do a let's play of that

This post has been edited by Duke Legacy: 23 June 2017 - 09:11 PM

User is offline   Lee Jackson 

• Composer

View PostDuke of Hazzard, on 25 May 2017 - 08:58 AM, said:

3) Music is amazing. Lee Jackson far surpassed his work in the original Duke3D.

I had better tools this time around, and I used them to the best of my ability. I'm glad you liked the end result.

View PostLee Jackson, on 28 June 2017 - 02:04 AM, said:

I had better tools this time around, and I used them to the best of my ability. I'm glad you liked the end result.

I just wanted to say, even though I really disliked a lot of things in the world tour, the music was fantastic :P.

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Agree. I've bought WT, and it's worth it because of beautiful music.

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostLee Jackson, on 28 June 2017 - 02:04 AM, said:

I might be just another random internet guy but in the chance you read this I just wanna say that the new soundtrack you made doesn't contain one single music that isn't great. You did good, as usual. :P
I wouldn't mind at all if Gearbox contacted you for the next Duke Nukem. ;)

(unrelated but I also love your work on Shadow Warrior)

User is offline   Minigunner 

Since this topic is gaining attention again, I may as well put in my input:
As a whole, the game is alright for what it is, but the business decisions involved in getting it out are sketchy at best (and I'll leave it at that). Anyways...
1) The new assets (weapon/monsters)
Adding a flame element in both arsenal and bestiary is pretty interesting, but the implementation doesn't work out well. The Incinerator is a powerful weapon against lesser enemies but useless against bosses (this is a major problem in Red Ruckus when you've about run out of every other ammo in the boss battle and all you have is a weapon that not only fires slow, but has minuscule, if any, effect on the bosses; at least you can exit that map anytime during the battle). The firefly is an interesting concept but it falls flat when it spends most of its time in its namesake mode and then proceeds to flamethrower you at far-from-effective range. The Cycloid Incinerator... I think everyone's covered that ground already. However, it would've been more effective if it spewed magma everywhere, creating a minefield of lava pools that'll fuck you over if you get unlucky.
2) The Duke
Okay, Jon St John, I get that DNF Duke (or as I like to call him, Douche Nukem) is a lot easier to voice, but when it comes to Duke Nukem 3D, at least try to keep to the more monotone, gruff action hero voice. That said, quite a few of the new lines are pretty good (heck, even the first coffee line got a chuckle out of me when I learned of the Amsterdam coffee shop thing, going there for the coffee and whatnot), but there are several shitty lines (shouldn't have done a second "...coffee" line, maybe like "Trippy, maybe I'll go for a vanilla latte next time"; not to mention the Serious Sam line, which could've done without calling him by name ("Hey, why so... Serious?")).
3) The music
I already told Lee Jackson a couple things regarding the music but I'll sum it up here: The new music is pretty damn good, and despite all the new toys Lee has access to, he still sticks to Sound Canvas a good amount, which I like. The renditions of the original music, however, are very meh, to the point where I myself have started doing a pack of Sound Canvas VA renditions of the original tracks. CC#32 (Instrument Map Select for SC devices) is very important if you're rendering MIDIs on an SC-88 or later.
4) The maps
I should play them more, but really, so far they're pretty good. The big complaint I have is that a lot of things seem closed off; it's alright to have an inaccessible door or two, but everything being locked to the point where progression is obviously linear is kinda a turnoff. Some maps like High Times could use some off-to-the-side rooms, even if just for exploration points. Hollywood Inferno is the exception, as it's a boss map.

This post has been edited by Minigunner: 29 June 2017 - 07:02 PM

• Composer

The renditions of the original music, however, are very meh, to the point where I myself have started doing a pack of Sound Canvas VA renditions of the original tracks. CC#32 (Instrument Map Select for SC devices) is very important if you're rendering MIDIs on an SC-88 or later.

This is one that I don't know how to respond to. I was asked to convert the music from EMIDI files to OGG audio, which meant stripping out all of the non-General MIDI information and recording the result through my SC-88. I recorded everything through a Mackie 1202-VLZ and a Focusrite Scartlett 2i2 (Gen. 1) into Adobe Audition as 44.1 KHz 24 bit WAVs. Those got mastered down to 44.1 KHz 16 bit OGG files, with metadata for copyright and for loop points.

In short, they're almost practically the same thing you would have got would you have played the original game with an SC-88 as your output source. The only difference is the conversion to OGG. I apologize if your copy sounded different.

• Composer

View Posticecoldduke, on 28 June 2017 - 04:53 AM, said:

I just wanted to say, even though I really disliked a lot of things in the world tour, the music was fantastic ;).

View Postbrullov, on 28 June 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

Agree. I've bought WT, and it's worth it because of beautiful music.

View PostLkMax, on 28 June 2017 - 04:07 PM, said:

I might be just another random internet guy but in the chance you read this I just wanna say that the new soundtrack you made doesn't contain one single music that isn't great. You did good, as usual. :dukeaffirmative:I wouldn't mind at all if Gearbox contacted you for the next Duke Nukem. :P(unrelated but I also love your work on Shadow Warrior)

Thanks to all of you. Before anyone says anything, no, I don't cruise the forums looking for positive remarks about the music (although I do like it when I find one). Instead, I'm judging whether there might be interest in an audio-file-only release of the World Tour music plus outtakes and extra tracks. If something like this were to appear on Amazon, would you consider kindly purchasing a copy of it?

User is offline   Lunick 

YES! Extra tracks and outtakes please ��������

Share this topic:

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options