• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior betas released!

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

*reads posts*

Oh snap.

User is offline   NNC 

I tried it, but my computer only loads SW Classic with the DosBox, no extra menus, and neither the 1996 Beta nor the 1997 Beta works with the DosBox. I got an error message for missing DOS4GW. :(

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 20 May 2017 - 08:53 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostNancsi, on 20 May 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

I tried it, but my computer only loads SW Classic with the DosBox, no extra menus, and neither the 1996 Beta nor the 1997 Beta works with the DosBox. I got an error message for missing DOS4GW. :(

I use D-Fend Reloaded , it does not matter then if it (dos game) uses dos4gw or not. If all fails, you can get the improved version here

View PostRobman, on 19 May 2017 - 09:35 PM, said:

Everyone except the 4 or 5 people rammed balls deep in behind of the admins here I would assume.
What have you ever done for SW, Myhouse? or are you just a cool guy mouth piece?

Posted Image

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View Posticecoldduke, on 19 May 2017 - 12:08 PM, said:

Aside from Robman being an idiot,

nice thread about shadow warrior - then someone has to start this shit up again. Like one entire thread dedicated to it wasn't enough. Good job.

Hendicks: "I sent in betas" - crowd commences ass sucking
Rob "I got the ball rolling by contacting the people needed to get authorization for the alpha/betas to be released" - crowd commences to throw rocks. "Don't take credit!"

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Forge: 20 May 2017 - 11:02 AM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostForge, on 20 May 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

nice thread about shadow warrior - then someone has to start this shit up again. Like one entire thread dedicated to it wasn't enough. Good job.

Hendicks: "I sent in betas" - crowd commences ass sucking
Rob "I got the ball rolling by contacting the people needed to get authorization for the alpha/betas to be released" - crowd commences to throw rocks. "Don't take credit!"

Lol so true, not to mention being fought every step of the way by some people in here.
Oh well, mission accomplished - Give your appreciation to Fred, Nigel, Termit and the fine folks who made the game.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostHank, on 20 May 2017 - 09:05 AM, said:

I use D-Fend Reloaded , it does not matter then if it (dos game) uses dos4gw or not. If all fails, you can get the improved version here

Thanks, I'll try it later.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

You guys should kiss and fuck already and then get over it.

User is offline   KareBear 

View PostLunick, on 20 May 2017 - 02:35 AM, said:

Also if you want to look through all the maps, just run a cmd prompt in the folder and "SW.exe -map "mapname".

Can you give more detailed info on how to do this please?

Edit:Nevernind,figured it out.Some of the maps where they test various effects are really interesting.

This post has been edited by KareBear: 20 May 2017 - 01:26 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostSledgehammer, on 20 May 2017 - 11:58 AM, said:

You guys should kiss and fuck already and then get over it.

If you join us, we can make a wonder-bread sushi roll.

I'm having issues with this dosbox. It doesn't like running in full screen - I have limited keyboard and no mouse input until it's windowed.
Probably follow the advice given earlier since I already have D-Fend Reloaded installed - just have to make the profiles.

This post has been edited by Forge: 20 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Does it work better on real hardware? If I had enough time I would probably setup my old PC to check if it works any better. Hate it that I have not enough room. Have the same issues on Dosbox which is why didn't play for too long.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 20 May 2017 - 12:25 PM

It's rough and won't run on some old PCs... At least, it doesn't run on my K6 and it won't run on my K5 in true DOS mode.

I did a 4 hour stream of it yesterday but OBS (I fucking HATE OBS, god I miss FMLE) didn't record, as usual, and for some reason YouTube has no archive of it. If I find it, I'll post it, but I think it's gone for whatever reason.

Movement works better if you get rid of those alien keybinds that some noob set up.

Edit:

Why does this show up on YouTube if I search, but I cannot see it in the creator studio / dashboard? Who cares, I'll fix it.
Anyway, I'd jump forwards by 10 minutes or something unless you want to watch me struggle with a completely untested machine for a while.

Sound setup may crash from time to time, but you should be able to copy-paste the sound setup section of the CFG from a build where it works (i.e. the final) and just start the game. This doesn't always dodge it, my K6 still crashes if I do that, so yeah, prototypes, what did you expect.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 20 May 2017 - 12:38 PM

User is offline   Forge 

The issue on my comp (w / windows 10) - if I hit a mouse key while the game is loading in dosbox (full screen) then I lose input. If I stay hands off, or tap the spacebar, while the game is loading, then everything works as well as it can in full screen mode.
This applies to both d-fend reloded & the version provided with steam

This post has been edited by Forge: 20 May 2017 - 12:41 PM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

I wonder if the pci soundcard fix could work on these.

My big question: do any of the betas have the Crossbow?

Seems not, though $combat#.map definitely has an area where the crossbow was seen in screenshots, minus that weird dragon creature sticking up from below the platforms.

User is offline   Kawa 

View PostRobman, on 20 May 2017 - 12:43 PM, said:

I wonder if the pci soundcard fix could work on these.

If you're talking about the fix I think you're talking about, I highly doubt it.

User is offline   K1n9_Duk3 

View PostForge, on 20 May 2017 - 12:39 PM, said:

The issue on my comp (w / windows 10) - if I hit a mouse key while the game is loading in dosbox (full screen) then I lose input. If I stay hands off, or tap the spacebar, while the game is loading, then everything works as well as it can in full screen mode.

I am not sure if the issue is related to this:

Some DOS games may encounter problems if they are run directly in DOSBox. By "directly" I mean dragging the game's executable onto DOSBOX.EXE or starting a D-Fend Reloaded profile where the game is basically added to the autoexec.bat (or the DOSBox equivalent of it). This means the game is started before any key was pressed. Under these circumstances, reading the keyboard port returns a 0. The game's keyboard handler might not handle this properly because normally you'd never get to read a 0 from the keyboard port unless you edit your autoexec.bat to run the game directly after booting. 0 is a strange value to read from the keyboard port because this indicates that a key is currently held down. This may cause some issues, depending on how the keyboard handling is implemented in the game.

A fine example of this issue is Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure. If the game is started AFTER a key was pressed, it will show the episode's title screen, then switch to the credits screen and eventually start the demo playback. If you start Cosmo WITHOUT hitting any key and let it run for a while, it will show the episode's titlescreen, but it will not switch to the credits screen or the demo playback. It will keep showing you the title screen until you press a key. In this example, Cosmo *thinks* you are holding down a key and waits for you to release that key.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostForge, on 20 May 2017 - 12:39 PM, said:

I'm still on Win 7 .... long shot, what about ProAsm ? Hendricks266 updated the windows detection a while ago, maybe all it needs now is to include Windows 10?

User is offline   Forge 

View PostK1n9_Duk3, on 20 May 2017 - 01:58 PM, said:

Could be - but in my case it's the mouse.

Regardless if I hit the mouse key or just let the game go hands off - SW will go through all the load screens until it gets to the game menu. Once I get to the menu, that's when the fun begins. If I let the game go hands free - I can scroll through the menu with the keyboard normally. If I hit a mouse button any time during the game loading process - I get one arrow press down from my keyboard - (which makes it jump down to the 'save game' selection) then nothing. No more input response until I window the game.
If I let it load hands free until the menu and hit a mouse button - the selection goes to "play it on ten" then no more input response

I think it's just windows 10 being a piece of shit because I never had this problem with dosbox on windows 7

This post has been edited by Forge: 20 May 2017 - 03:25 PM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Real HW works pretty well in general but if you get an actual crashdump FROM the game (inside dosbox) then it's usually the game that you have to blame.
If dosbox freezes, chances are that the emulation failed.
I think the newer build refused to boot with SB pro and needed 8bit DMA instead of 16bit. Selecting 1.0 for SFX will do.

With dosbox, I tend to use 486_slow, fixed 90k ~ 150k ~200k cycles depending on years and et_4000 (but using s3 optimized or buffered if et4000 from setup flickers).

User is offline   Forge 

View PostHank, on 20 May 2017 - 03:07 PM, said:

I'm still on Win 7 .... long shot, what about ProAsm ? Hendricks266 updated the windows detection a while ago, maybe all it needs now is to include Windows 10?

Isn't that what shadow warrior classic redux on steam uses?

I've played the steam redux version and it runs fine, but I don't recall ever specifically downloading and using that port straight from his site.

User is offline   Forge 

geez - i kinda feel dumb now (more than usual)
Went to the game's d-fend profile and unchecked "auto lock mouse" - problem gone & now I can use my mouse on the menu screen

dosbox_swarrior.conf

[ sdl ]
autolock=false

This post has been edited by Forge: 20 May 2017 - 03:38 PM

Surprised nobody posted these yet;
http://i.imgur.com/YvetgSu.gifv

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

- Apparently GIFs aren't allowed... Hell yeah!!!

User is offline   Lunick 

I wasn't sure how to open the voxel files, neat!

Can we use beta assets when making SW mods?

View Posticecoldduke, on 20 May 2017 - 05:01 PM, said:

Given that both the retail release and the betas are freely available, I don't see why you couldn't.

View PostK1n9_Duk3, on 20 May 2017 - 01:58 PM, said:

Some DOS games may encounter problems if they are run directly in DOSBox. By "directly" I mean dragging the game's executable onto DOSBOX.EXE or starting a D-Fend Reloaded profile where the game is basically added to the autoexec.bat (or the DOSBox equivalent of it). This means the game is started before any key was pressed. Under these circumstances, reading the keyboard port returns a 0. The game's keyboard handler might not handle this properly because normally you'd never get to read a 0 from the keyboard port unless you edit your autoexec.bat to run the game directly after booting. 0 is a strange value to read from the keyboard port because this indicates that a key is currently held down. This may cause some issues, depending on how the keyboard handling is implemented in the game.

A fine example of this issue is Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure. If the game is started AFTER a key was pressed, it will show the episode's title screen, then switch to the credits screen and eventually start the demo playback. If you start Cosmo WITHOUT hitting any key and let it run for a while, it will show the episode's titlescreen, but it will not switch to the credits screen or the demo playback. It will keep showing you the title screen until you press a key. In this example, Cosmo *thinks* you are holding down a key and waits for you to release that key.

When it comes to DOSBox I'd much rather use custom config files for each game... In Build games for example it's a good idea to use fixed cycles because there's major sprite clipping if you use unlimited cycles, but you need a high amount of cycles to get good fps (100k at least, with a beefy machine of course, especially for Blood and Shadow Warrior).

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

View Posticecoldduke, on 20 May 2017 - 05:01 PM, said:

View PostDoom64hunter, on 20 May 2017 - 08:33 PM, said:

Given that both the retail release and the betas are freely available, I don't see why you couldn't.

Even though the game is free, don't redistribute the game or full GRP file on your own. And of course, you can use resources from the game and betas for your mods and projects that comply with fair use doctrine.

This post has been edited by termit: 20 May 2017 - 10:23 PM

Is there any way to lower the bridge in the first stage of '96 beta?

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options