Duke4.net Forums: STRAFE - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

STRAFE

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostGambini, on 09 May 2017 - 06:19 PM, said:

BTW what?s wrong with apostrophes on this forum?

I've had the apostrophe thing happen when using the wrong keyboard layout from Windows itself.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

That used to bug the crap out of me. Some combination of shortcut key that I wasn't aware of would change my keyboard layout to International because I'm in Canada and every apostrophe and various symbols like that would come out as E's and other letters with accents on them. Took me forever to figure out how to turn that crap off. Check your keyboard layout.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 09 May 2017 - 08:55 PM

User is offline   Gambini 

But in the post write box i see them fine! And even more weird, old posts of mine on this very thread also show the same problem, while it?s obvious that this has not been happening with my other posts on other threads.

View PostGambini, on 29 June 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

for christ sakes!!! you´re missing the point completely!

User is offline   Hank 

Testing ...
Ȍȁ ' simple ' " with RTE enabled

@ Gambini, are you using the option for the visual RTE editor?
If not, I noticed this too, yesterday, when I wanted to type in German words like Sőhne, and could no longer do it.

never mind, it works now.

This post has been edited by Hank: 10 May 2017 - 09:17 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I give up trying to imbed Youtube videos
Gggman Review

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 10 May 2017 - 09:31 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Like this?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The levels look a lot more interesting than the early footage, however the gameplay doesn't sound too fantastic.

It also sounds like the levels draw from a large common pool? Or at least there are similar areas appearing over and over, which is a major drawback of Shadow Warrior 2. There's nothing inherently wrong with the kind of procedural generation where bits are pieced together assuming that each level is filled with unique areas and that each level is distinct from all the others.

• The Sarien Encounter

Just watching TB's WTF is Strafe video and I noticed on level two that one of the procedurally generated rooms is a remarkably close approximation of Doom's E1M1 starting area. I wonder how many other homages are in the game.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

How Strafe failed to capture the 90s

User is offline   LkMax 

Besides the obvious case of guns looking and feeling like toys, I can't stand the repetitive nature of the levels and same-y tile textures... and all that just looking from the videos, I haven't played it myself.
I actually find the original Doom and Quake more visually appealing than this game that was just released.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostLkMax, on 15 May 2017 - 03:57 PM, said:

I actually find the original Doom and Quake more visually appealing than this game that was just released.

That's because the visual aesthetics of a video game do not depend on its release date.

Blade Warrior uses only 16 colours to create awesome visuals. The number of colours was a hardware limitation back when it was developed, but it could have been released yesterday to the same effect.

User is offline   LkMax 

Oh yes, for sure. It is a criticism of mine regarding some "retro" games being released nowadays, even with low hardware capability game devs at the time did put a lot of effort on quality and aesthetic (the ones that are still well regarded at least).
The aesthetic does not depend on release date, but also not totally on technical limitations in a way.

This site has some pretty cool effects using 8-bit tech: http://www.effectgam...os/canvascycle/

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostLkMax, on 17 May 2017 - 07:52 AM, said:

Oh yes, for sure. It is a criticism of mine regarding some "retro" games being released nowadays, even with low hardware capability game devs at the time did put a lot of effort on quality and aesthetic (the ones that are still well regarded at least).
The aesthetic does not depend on release date, but also not totally on technical limitations in a way.

This site has some pretty cool effects using 8-bit tech: http://www.effectgam...os/canvascycle/

Mark Ferrari's 8-bit works are absolute stunning masterpieces and feats of creativity under stark limitations. If nobody saw his presentation last year at GDC on 8-bit and "8-bitish" art I highly suggest you educate yourselves and prepare to be jaw-dropped.

User is offline   LkMax 

Just saw it and you were right, it's very interesting indeed. I love the comparison with the real renaissance and the renaissance fair regarding expectations, haha.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 17 May 2017 - 02:34 PM

Don't think it's been mentioned here yet, but here's an interesting Easter egg in the game (Spoiler alert if you're worried about that kinda thing for Easter eggs, I suppose):
http://steamcommunit...s/?id=927759457

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Are they allowed to do that? Looks like a rip.

Btw that 8 bit video was amazing. I'd seen the moving water aspect before, but didn't realise he took it as far as believable day-night transitions (while keeping the flowing water!) all by cycling the palate of a static image.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 18 May 2017 - 05:26 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I actually posted about it a little over a year ago. Truly brilliant indeed.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostMicky C, on 18 May 2017 - 05:24 PM, said:

Are they allowed to do that? Looks like a rip.

Btw that 8 bit video was amazing. I'd seen the moving water aspect before, but didn't realise he took it as far as believable day-night transitions (while keeping the flowing water!) all by cycling the palate of a static image.

Compared it side by side, and it is a rip, just with color changes and the dollar bills taken out.
Space Trucker is still available with no issues, so I guess nothing matters ever

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 18 May 2017 - 08:47 PM

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options