• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem

User is offline   Hank 

View PostForge, on 15 May 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

Trooper Dan G is a pretty meticulous and hard worker - if he has the free time.

How about Forge and/or MBlackwell?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

I see no reason why MBlackwell couldn't be involved in it. (if he has the time)
He's part of the Duke4 staff - which seems to be a qualifier going by Yatta's post.

I'm just more familiar with Dan G - having worked with him on his projects & joint projects for nearly a decade. I suppose I'm partial to him because I've seen his work ethic and problem analysis/problem solving skills.

This post has been edited by Forge: 15 May 2017 - 07:21 PM

User is offline   Hank 

Just in case, my proposal is in addition to yours, hell, I would love to see all of you getting into it :(

User is offline   Forge 

They would have to trust me since they're proposing a limited distribution of un-releasable material to specific personnel.
I wouldn't (re-)distribute it because it's morally and ethically wrong.
I also wouldn't (re-)distribute it because I'm a disabled vet living on a piddly pension and couldn't afford to be sued into oblivion. I have a wife and son to take care of.

The staff here don't know that, and have no reason to believe it either.
All it takes is one dick-head to release something that wasn't meant for public consumption and the relations between duke4 and gearbox could be damaged beyond repair.
The risk isn't worth it.

This post has been edited by Forge: 15 May 2017 - 08:08 PM

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I think Marphy Black would be a good choice. He was one of the few contacted when Fresch sent TX and Hendricks the stuff, but I think the new 3DR only wanted to do the NDA with TX and Hendricks, due to their status here in the community, which makes sense.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostForge, on 15 May 2017 - 07:14 PM, said:

I see no reason why MBlackwell couldn't be involved in it. (if he has the time)
He's part of the Duke4 staff - which seems to be a qualifier going by Yatta's post.

I'm just more familiar with Dan G - having worked with him on his projects & joint projects for nearly a decade. I suppose I'm partial to him because I've seen his work ethic and problem analysis/problem solving skills.

Dan said he rather not be involved since he's bussy with other projects.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMike Norvak, on 15 May 2017 - 08:56 PM, said:

Dan said he rather not be involved since he's bussy with other projects.

That's exactly what a jealous guy with a man-crush would say if he were trying to keep someone to himself and working on his wgr2 project.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I think by reading the thread, Randy could get a sense of what community interest these prototype builds hold, but it's doing him a disservice to derail the thread musing on hypotheticals. Reread his OP.

That said, I have specific points to respond to, even though I think it would be best for the overall discussion in this thread to shift.

Spoiler

I don't feel like I would be a good participant in a livestream discussing the future of Duke Nukem the character, brand, and franchise. In some ways I'm not opinionated enough on DNF for my presence to be justified. I'm also not the best of conversationalists. But I know who to trust with doing this, and would like to help coordinate the effort with other Duke4 staff.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 15 May 2017 - 10:00 PM

User is offline   Minigunner 

As I see it, the goal of this thread is to welcome and introduce Randy into the Duke community. We should be acquainting with Randy (and possibly others from Gearbox) and let him get to know the community before we ask for stuff like beta releases.

I think my first question to ask Randy is: What do you think of Duke? How do you see his character, the story around him, or the gameplay aspects of his games?

This post has been edited by Minigunner: 15 May 2017 - 10:00 PM

• Music Producer

View PostForge, on 15 May 2017 - 09:01 PM, said:

That's exactly what a jealous guy with a man-crush would say if he were trying to keep someone to himself and working on his wgr2 project.

But we broke!! :( He's bussy with OTHER projects...
(Anyway I think I never could win his heart, and compete with WG for it) XD

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 16 May 2017 - 06:10 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Issuing the old betas would be fun, but I don't see it really advancing the modding community much. You aren't going to attract a lot of new talent by offering them the opportunity to make stuff that looks like the original Unreal Tournament. Besides that, you could recreate most of the 2000 era betas today within Polymer, that is if someone optimised it and fixed the bugs :( .

One interesting idea would be to take another leaf out of UT's book. The new Unreal Tournament is a free issue from Epic. They have issued the basic guts of the working game engine, and they have put it out for fans to make the content for the new game. What if Gearbox did that with Duke? issue a special version of the latest Unreal Tournament. It could be licensed so that you could only build Duke stuff on it and you weren't allowed to sell any content. It would feature a Duke character instead of the Unreal combatants. You could include the basic pistol and maybe one other weapon. The code would be in there for the standard Duke monsters, but maybe make it so you can make your own critters and weapons too. It would basically be a very basic 'make your own Duke game' template that you could use as a canvas to make whatever kind of Duke adventure you want. As it would be using the later version of Unreal, you are much more likely to attract more people like myself and Steeevie to come and make some new Duke content. People from Polycount and other sites would be happily posting new Duke models and levels, which is going to raise the IP's media foot print and awareness among the public and gamers.

Gearbox could even launch the project with a contest much like Epic's "Make Something Unreal" contest that would get people contributing and can be used by Gearbox to help pad out the amount of props and models issued and for publicity for the Duke IP and Gearbox in general.

As Gearbox issued the kit they could maintain control over it. They could even possibly use something like Lumberyard and have it required to run through their own servers to launch.

Another plus of this is that Epic (or Crytek/Google) will be in charge of all engine updates and maintenance. No more having to pester Hendricks and Plagman for bug fixes.

• Music Producer

Updated the poll with more points.

https://forums.duke4...g-duke-nukem-ip

I hope the list would come in handy when the time for the streaming comes.

User is offline   Randy Pitchford 

• Gearbox CEO

Hi,

Objective: A group live chat (Google Hangout or group Skype) with four or five members of this community where we discuss whatever issues we can cover in the designated time. Chat can either be recorded or streamed so that it can be shared. Depending on how it goes, we may schedule follow-up conversations. I can have someone from my side deal with logistics, technology, etc.

I need someone I can interface with to serve as a liaison and to organize the other participants from this community. Can this community self-organize to recommend one from among you for this purpose?

Thanks!

- Randy

User is offline   Forge 

The obvious is obvious.
TerminX and/or Yatta

User is offline   stumppy84 

Ditto, and please stream it!

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Agree.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

TerminX.

User is offline   Mark 

agree, so we can get moving on this now

Yatta, primarily because I want to see Randy's reaction to being repeatedly molested. :(

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostRandy Pitchford, on 16 May 2017 - 07:34 AM, said:

Hi,

Objective: A group live chat (Google Hangout or group Skype) with four or five members of this community where we discuss whatever issues we can cover in the designated time. Chat can either be recorded or streamed so that it can be shared. Depending on how it goes, we may schedule follow-up conversations. I can have someone from my side deal with logistics, technology, etc.

I need someone I can interface with to serve as a liaison and to organize the other participants from this community. Can this community self-organize to recommend one from among you for this purpose?

Thanks!

- Randy

Let's do a recorded Skype session. I'll PM you my Skype username and I'll see if I can get TX to join in.:(

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I can do Skype.

• Music Producer

I agree about TX and Yatta, although a third person would be great. MBlackwell?

User is offline   Trebor_UK 

Frederik Schreiber anyone? :(

But yeah, Tx & Yatta seem like good choices. What about Green? Maybe NukemDave?

This post has been edited by Trebor_UK: 17 May 2017 - 12:17 AM

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

TX and Yatta.

User is offline   Mark 

And to liven it up a bit, TeaMonster. :(

User is offline   Romulus 

Greetings Everyone.

I'm going to keep this brief as I know Randy's time is valuable.

To lay the foundations for future Duke Nukem games it's essential to solidify the existing Duke Nukem titles. Allowing Duke Nukem Forever to be modded might help to achieve just that. Duke Nukem 3D and the original DOOM are still popular to this date because of active modding communities. I'm sure with the DNF editor released to the public, we'll see some amazing original content for DNF. To be more specific, DNF's Multiplayer is an aspect that's severely overlooked/under rated and IMO could satisfy the hardcore Duke fans and at the same time create interest among new gamers if DNF allows mods for both SP and MP.

A modern remake of the classic Duke Nukem 3D wouldn't be a bad idea. It could be the catalyst the Duke IP needs to create a new fan base alongside the existing one. A reboot like DOOM that stuck to it's core gameplay mechanics and made great use of modern technology, achieved great success not only financially but also managed to make the majority of it's fanbase happy. It is my firm belief that if the same is done with Duke, it'll be an instant GOTY.

Fixing some of the quirks that made DN3D WT a turn off for a large portion of the die hard old school Duke fans would be kicking things off in the right direction.

My sincerest apologies for my headache inducing post as English is not my primary language.

This post has been edited by Romulus: 16 May 2017 - 03:25 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I would like to see at least one other person from the community join TX and Yatta in the call/event/whatever, if only because they already have some form of relationship with Randy/Gearbox. Yatta to a lesser degree I gather? But just having another voice that Randy hasn't heard, even though I know the aforementioned Great Two are more than competent to relay concerns, just to represent someone else form this community. If that makes any sense.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 16 May 2017 - 07:32 PM, said:

I would like to see at least one other person from the community join TX and Yatta in the call/event/whatever, if only because they already have some form of relationship with Randy/Gearbox. Yatta to a lesser degree I gather? But just having another voice that Randy hasn't heard, even though I know the aforementioned Great Two are more than competent to relay concerns, just to represent someone else form this community. If that makes any sense.

Yes, it makes sense but who?
Why not let it go with Yatta and TerminX for now, to get a bridge going, and next round with one or two prominent members.

This post has been edited by Hank: 16 May 2017 - 08:08 PM

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I would recommend getting Commando Nukem in on this video chat, even if it's just audio from him and he's up for it. He would be good for discussing the future of Duke.

How about picking tx, yatta and a third who has less ''knowledge'' about Duke and is less known in here. Also preferably someone who is not from U.S.
In that way we can keep some elements that made Duke great, but also accept more modern elements and get more diversification for Randy. :(

This post has been edited by DukeNukem64: 16 May 2017 - 11:43 PM

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options