Duke4.net Forums: Arkane's Prey Reboot to be Announced on June 12th - Duke4.net Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Arkane's Prey Reboot to be Announced on June 12th  "Crytek-powered System Shock Reboot Developed by Arkane Austin"

The name isnt whats hurting it, its bethesdas new review policy

People arent going to bet on a new ip with no reviews to go on

Id hate to see new prey die here so i guess we'll see

User is offline   Lunick 

User is offline   HulkNukem 

So IGN gave the PC version a 4/10 because of a game breaking save deleting bug that has already been fixed, and ironically all its doing is rallying more people to hate on IGN and start defending Prey, and not a single person is mentioning Prey 2.
What a world

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

IGN should be burned alive, to be honest.

User is offline   Loke 

Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

The average gamer knows nothing about Prey 2. That's why there's no discussion. The average gamer also hasn't even played the original Prey and thinks this is a reboot/remake/sequel.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 11 May 2017 - 11:24 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 11 May 2017 - 11:24 AM, said:

The average gamer knows nothing about Prey 2. That's why there's no discussion. The average gamer also hasn't even played the original Prey and thinks this is a reboot/remake/sequel.

While they are definitely misinformed, whenever an article was posted about Prey on IGN many of them would always say stuff like "I thought this was a parkour bounty hunter game what the hell?" or "They cancelled Prey 2 for THIS?" so they are definitely aware. I find it humorous so many of them are now defending Prey against IGN.

It's like when a wrestler no one cares about starts beating up Roman Reigns and all of a sudden the crowd starts cheering for them.
I wonder who will even get this reference

Also, the bug has been squashed, and also apparently any corrupted saves are now uncorrupted as well.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 11 May 2017 - 11:53 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 11 May 2017 - 11:24 AM, said:

Is it not a reboot? Although I admit for a reboot it'd need to have some similarity with either the original Prey or Prey 2, while it appears that zero of the unique characteristics have carried over. So what do we call it then? We need a new word, preferably something starting with "re".

Btw can we finally change the title of this thread to not be about the game's announcement?

Is there a term for IP recognition releases? Because that's the way I would call this Prey.

• Honored Donor

View PostSledgehammer, on 11 May 2017 - 03:40 PM, said:

Is there a term for IP recognition releases? Because that's the way I would call this Prey.

I wouldn't even call it that. More to do with how some guy in a company wanted to prove to some other guy in the company that wasting all the money on buying the IP wasn't a total disaster.

RePrey

User is offline   Player Lin 

I would like they named something else... I'm sick about heard that name... :(

Hopefully a fan name will turn up for it

Like how people call the shitty thief reboot "Thiaf" after the initial logo (Thi4f)

Ive though about it but the best ive got is "Neuroshock"

• The Sarien Encounter

By Bethesda's own admission it was simply a case of them not having a title for the game, they owned the Prey IP and brand, so they used that for the name. That's it. There is zero correlation to the original Prey or scrapped Prey 2. It's not a "re" anything. A rebranding maybe at most. For the IP, not the game. The game itself is not a "re" anything.

Doesn't make it any less of an ass move though. I hear it overrides the original Prey's installation on Steam.

• The Sarien Encounter

Oh no. Please don't believe that I'm in any way defending it. That's WHY I'm attacking it.

EDIT: I also see that the original Prey has been removed from the Steam store altogether as well.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 12 May 2017 - 09:05 AM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

That happened years ago.

• The Sarien Encounter

I seem to remember it still being there as recently as last year.

User is offline   X-Vector 

https://steamdb.info/app/3970/history/

We should just refer to Arkane's Prey as System Shock to eliminate the confusion

I am nearing the end of the game so I will have a review up very soon. What I will say is the game is definitely in the 7-8/10 category

Don't insult System Shock like that. It maybe looks like one, but no, it isn't. And neither will it eliminate confusion, not about SS at least.

Glad you got the joke

Spoiler

The IGN review was patched from a 4 to an 8 due to the Shock n' Prey patch that fixed the game breaking issue.

• Honored Donor

View PostHulkNukem, on 12 May 2017 - 07:20 PM, said:

The IGN review was patched from a 4 to an 8 due to the Shock n' Prey patch that fixed the game breaking issue.

Yikes, having one temporary glitch slice a score in half like that is really something. I don't pay any attention to 'professional' reviews and gaming media, other than a few independent reviewers on youtube, so I'm not up to speed on the dodgy practice and politics going on.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 12 May 2017 - 08:25 AM, said:

By Bethesda's own admission it was simply a case of them not having a title for the game, they owned the Prey IP and brand, so they used that for the name. That's it. There is zero correlation to the original Prey or scrapped Prey 2. It's not a "re" anything. A rebranding maybe at most. For the IP, not the game. The game itself is not a "re" anything.

And that's works perfectly, because everyone who never tried the 2006 one or heard anything about all bullshit that ****ed up by Bethesda has think the 2017 Prey is a brand new IP game.

But that's why they did that in first place, and the result is super effective. :(

I always want to focus on game itself only and ignore the game companies/studios' dramas/****ed up-s but in some cases seems impossible for me...like Shovelware and this one. :(

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 13 May 2017 - 03:49 AM

Youd think bethesda would have thought of that and the bad press before telling arkane to use the name

Bethesda doesn't give a fuck about press from what I can see, they stopped giving press their review copies. I think it was even before FO4 release, some "professionals" even whined about it (i.e. Kotaku). Hopefully majority treat press as a joke they are nowadays. That's the only reason to read them, to laugh at how these people are pathetic.

I think they know their name is big enough to not be affected by "bad press" especially when it's a minority like us original Prey fans. Since most people don't know about the original Prey, I don't think Bethesda feels any remorse for overriding it with the new one. imo them overriding the real Prey "just because we didn't have a title for Arkane's game and just happen to have the Prey IP" was done deliberately. It's all part of their plan to break into the FPS genre, particularly the "classic shooter" subgenre with Doom 2016 and Quake Champions. I guess they chose the Prey brand because it has a history, but not big enough for the masses to care about whether or not the new one is any similar to the original one so they all assume it's a reboot.

This post has been edited by PikaCommando: 13 May 2017 - 07:45 AM

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 12 May 2017 - 08:25 AM, said:

There is zero correlation to the original Prey or scrapped Prey 2. It's not a "re" anything.

You can use wrench as a weapon here, just like in original Prey. REBOOT CONFIRMED!

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options