Duke4.net Forums: Terminal Velocity - Duke4.net Forums

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Terminal Velocity  "Anyone played this game? NOT the movie starring Charlie Sheen."

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostTorturephile, on 25 April 2017 - 07:03 PM, said:

I've been following this thread since last year and I'm waiting patiently for the source port. I wish you luck on it, Striker, but specially on getting your life sorted out. I'm also interested in the Terminal Velocity HD by Smoke Fumus.

By the way, has anyone tried the Terminal Velocity port by Trebuchet Entertainment? They ported the game to mobile devices even with its software renderer and made a few improvements on it like furthering drawing distance of objects, increasing visibility of distant terrain, increasing field of view, adding depth buffer, etc. I recorder a gameplay of the game's first level if anyone is interested:
https://www.youtube....h?v=V_E0mtRGhgc
https://youtu.be/V_E0mtRGhgc

That's how I found Mark Randel. By the way, here's a tip: You can play this port in BlueStacks, which is an Android emulator for PC. I'm pretty sure you can map a gamepad from there. Or, if you're lucky enough to have an NVidia Shield Portable, it plays extremely well on there.

This post has been edited by Striker: 26 April 2017 - 08:03 AM

User is offline   Juris3D 

View PostStriker, on 25 April 2017 - 12:04 PM, said:

...in the meantime, give the latest DGVoodoo2 a try with Hellbender.

By the way - maybe some right directions, short "how-to" about it?
It has been awhile since I touched dosboxed and 3D-accelerated anything. Well, I have "Archimedean Dynasty" configured, but it is kinda "stand-alone", I think I downloaded it somewhere ready to run.
Any hints how to best set up Hellbender?
Thanks!

View PostStriker, on 26 April 2017 - 08:01 AM, said:

By the way, here's a tip: You can play this port in BlueStacks, which is an Android emulator for PC. I'm pretty sure you can map a gamepad from there.

I tried that, out of curiosity. I tried several Android emus, and "TV" was my test game, along with "Alpha Squadron 2", "Bombshells" and "X-Wing Flight"/"Dark Side". But, there is no point to play "TV" on PC like that, since "TerminalFury 640x480" configures and plays perfectly well with normal USB flightstick. EXE should be set compatibility to "Windows 98", and it plays and controls very well under Win7 64-bit.

I have question, maybe someone can help: anyone can share maybe savegames of "TV" (on PC), so I can go to later levels? In "TerminalFury" I don't know how to cheat level skip, those "TRINEXT", "TRWARP" seems to be not in effect. Anyone maybe has a pack of "Terminal Velocity" savegames? My big Thankyous in advance!

• Auramancer

View PostJuris3D, on 26 April 2017 - 11:43 AM, said:

I have question, maybe someone can help: anyone can share maybe savegames of "TV" (on PC), so I can go to later levels? In "TerminalFury" I don't know how to cheat level skip, those "TRINEXT", "TRWARP" seems to be not in effect. Anyone maybe has a pack of "Terminal Velocity" savegames? My big Thankyous in advance!

Look up Fury3 cheats.

I did try to get Hellbender to run with hardware acceleration with dgVoodoo and DxWnd, but the most I can get is the ground to show up momentarily as the camera descends into the ship in a new game. I can only see the precipitation effects otherwise. Luckily, I have a Windows XP machine that I can get the game running just fine with 8x SSAA and correct CD music loop. Unfortunately, I'm too lazy to swap my main machine with it every now and then.

• Auramancer

Try this DGVoodoo.conf file: https://mega.nz/#!iA...4J1982jdQIPJzbw

Use the latest version of DGVoodoo as well.

This post has been edited by Striker: 28 April 2017 - 02:29 PM

Unfortunately:

Posted Image

Anyways, onwards to (attempt to) build some Terminal-Recall.

Torturephile, please share compiled "Terminal-Recall" with us ;-)

Here it is, although I'm not sure if you may need any files installed for it to run:
https://www.mediafir...woigctevtdmkdzg

It took me quite a few hours to figure how to get it to compile and work, from installing the applications that will only be used for it, to tinkering with my system's environmental variables, etc. I'm very inexperienced with Java in general. As for the application itself, it definitely needs work in many areas though I see it going far in the future.

View PostTorturephile, on 29 April 2017 - 12:07 AM, said:

Here it is, although I'm not sure if you may need any files installed for it to run:
https://www.mediafir...woigctevtdmkdzg
It took me quite a few hours to figure how to get it to compile and work, from installing the applications that will only be used for it, to tinkering with my system's environmental variables, etc. I'm very inexperienced with Java in general. As for the application itself, it definitely needs work in many areas though I see it going far in the future.

My hero Torturephile - Thank You! My greatest appreciations. I just got my first running test of "Terminal Recall". Needed to add POD files, VOX files... not sure about right combination of those yet, but - got "Fury3" starting, with sound and music present. Torturephile, I am totally aware, that you did big work that I should be doing by myself (all that software for compiling, and figuring all out), so I am really, really thankful for you making all that sharing here.
Attached File  Terminal_Recall_01.jpg (87.6K)
Number of downloads: 26 Attached File  Terminal_Recall_03.jpg (88.21K)
Number of downloads: 29 Attached File  Terminal_Recall_04.jpg (89.44K)
Number of downloads: 19

Terrain looks quite decent, actually:
Attached File  Terminal_Recall_05.jpg (82.25K)
Number of downloads: 31 Attached File  Terminal_Recall_06.jpg (119.11K)
Number of downloads: 26

This post has been edited by Juris3D: 01 May 2017 - 10:41 PM

That android port is really good and works great with bluetooth gamepad, actually I've completed the whole game that way.

• Auramancer

View PostTorturephile, on 28 April 2017 - 08:29 PM, said:

Unfortunately:

Posted Image

Anyways, onwards to (attempt to) build some Terminal-Recall.

You don't have the proper files installed, you have compatibility mode enabled for Hellbend.exe, or you don't have a DirectX 11 capable card. Did you make sure you use DDRAW.DLL? Also, do not run in compatibility mode at all. (You'll lose joystick support unfortunately)

This post has been edited by Striker: 30 April 2017 - 04:48 PM

I would like to say big Thank You to Striker, for encouraging to try Hellbender + dgVoodoo. Everything works fine, even better! :( "Better" i mean that i am able to run HELLBEND.EXE in compatibility mode (Windows 98/ME), and so I have perfect joystick control too, with throttle! And visuals - game runs at 1920x1080, with texture filtering, anti-aliasing.
Now I am wondering, what else games I should try to dgVoodoo-ize... :(
My system is Windows7 64-bit, graphics card GeForce GTX 660.
Anyway, I made pictures with everything (I think) to set up this "Ultimate Hellbender". In folder structure pic red files are new ones, added from dgVoodoo package. I choose to make local dgVoodoo config file, in the same folder as game. Other pictures should be self-explanatory.
dgVoodoo download: http://dege.freeweb..../dgVoodoo2.html
Very detailed ReadMe (html) with instructions will be in downloaded package.
Little reminder for Hellbender in-game visual options:
I - cycles cockpit view and instruments
T - toggle crosshairs on/off
F4 - toggle fullscreen/windowed game

Attached File  Hellbender00.jpg (23.55K)
Number of downloads: 13 Attached File  Hellbender01.jpg (37.54K)
Number of downloads: 10 Attached File  Hellbender02.jpg (50.74K)
Number of downloads: 12
Attached File  Hellbender03.jpg (45.03K)
Number of downloads: 18 Attached File  Hellbender04.jpg (45.43K)
Number of downloads: 18 Attached File  Hellbender05.jpg (50.59K)
Number of downloads: 13
Attached File  Hellbender06.jpg (187.59K)
Number of downloads: 38 Attached File  Hellbender07.jpg (220.2K)
Number of downloads: 32

More pictures here:
http://bildites.lv/a/htyebp2n#3e9hjbhw

This post has been edited by Juris3D: 03 May 2017 - 01:06 AM

It must be a Windows 10 64-bit or an AMD HD 7850 card issue as I've got nothing going but a pitch-black screen regardless the settings or setup I use. I do recall getting full screen with hardware rendering on Windows Vista and 7 machines. Reminds me Flight Simulator 98 since it kind of works with a fatal issue on Windows 7 but since Windows 8 it crashes upon executing.

Edit: should have mentioned that the HUD works just fine.

This post has been edited by Torturephile: 01 May 2017 - 03:31 PM

• Auramancer

View PostTorturephile, on 01 May 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

It must be a Windows 10 64-bit or an AMD HD 7850 card issue as I've got nothing going but a pitch-black screen regardless the settings or setup I use. I do recall getting full screen with hardware rendering on Windows Vista and 7 machines. Reminds me Flight Simulator 98 since it kind of works with a fatal issue on Windows 7 but since Windows 8 it crashes upon executing.

Edit: should have mentioned that the HUD works just fine.

Probably an AMD issue then, I run this on Windows 10 64-bit no problem.

I also modified GOG release of "Rogue Squadron 3D" with dgVoodoo. Also now runs 1920x1080 with anti-aliasing, woo-hoo! :( Great :(
Pictures (some are 1280x1024, but mostly 1920x1080):
http://bildites.lv/a/n38ehysd#7zkcg2ch
(p.s.: Striker, I did that OneDrive thing)

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostJuris3D, on 02 May 2017 - 11:45 PM, said:

I also modified GOG release of "Rogue Squadron 3D" with dgVoodoo. Also now runs 1920x1080 with anti-aliasing, woo-hoo! :( Great :)
Pictures (some are 1280x1024, but mostly 1920x1080):
http://bildites.lv/a/n38ehysd#7zkcg2ch

The game looks amazing in high-res. Very cool :(

btw, my twitter stuff is like 80% about flying games, so, maybe any use to someone:
https://twitter.com/Thunder_Owl
i am in contact with several authors of upcoming games, trying to help, and, probably even "shape" a little those good doings :(

P.S.: guys, weird question: what you guys are seeing in my profile pic on the left? Me with one game box, or 6 boxes? Because, I changed profile picture like a week ago (with six game boxes), but here in thread I still see old one. Hmm.

This post has been edited by Juris3D: 03 May 2017 - 01:28 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostJuris3D, on 03 May 2017 - 01:25 AM, said:

P.S.: guys, weird question: what you guys are seeing in my profile pic on the left? Me with one game box, or 6 boxes? Because, I changed profile picture like a week ago (with six game boxes), but here in thread I still see old one. Hmm.

I think what is displayed next to the posts is the user picture (avatar), not the profile pic.

Thanks, MrFlibble, got it.

Juris3D's pictures reminds me of when PC video games would come with a huge box with nice packaging and tons of documents about the game including a big manual. It's all digital now.

Edit: I agree they did an excellent job with the mobile Terminal Velocity. Now if Micro$oft allowed it, we'd get some mobile Fury³ and Hellbender as well.
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Torturephile: 04 May 2017 - 06:08 PM

• Auramancer

The plan for TerminalFury is to be portable, so perhaps down the road when I get there I can perhaps release an APK for devices like the NVidia Shield or Galaxy S3 and above. (Those are the only devices I own and thus the only ones I can truly test)

I am going to share my experiences with "Terminal Recall", java open source engine remake for TV/Fury3.
1) - one more time - Thanks to Torturephile for providing compiled ready-to-run package of "Terminal Recall". And, here comes inevitable question: will you provide more compiled versions in future? :( Or, maybe you deleted all necessary software.. :)
2) - you have to add your own original game(s) .POD files. See screenshot what I did about it.
3) - I am impressed what has been accomplished already in this engine port. Absolutely usable, playable thing. And here comes about playability:
4) - there is proper configuration for joysticks! See another my screenshot how it looks. Axis, buttons, inversions - everything. Perfect. But, here comes warning, described in next:
5) - before you start game (RunMe.jar), check your favorite task managing utility (I use free System Explorer), isn't there previous game task (javaw.exe) hanging in background. Kill it, if there is. Thing is, second copy will run, and so will third, fourth... With side effects. For one - joystick config tab dissapears (!). That is how I initially thought that there is no controller support and/or configuration. There is, and it is excellent. Just don't run several game copies one on another. Oh, and another effect of that (or so it seamed to me) - count of enemy units multiplies :(

Here are more pictures from gameplay:
http://bildites.lv/a/mws83yrj#nasug2kp

And two config screens

Attached File(s)

View PostJuris3D, on 11 May 2017 - 03:02 AM, said:

1) - one more time - Thanks to Torturephile for providing compiled ready-to-run package of "Terminal Recall". And, here comes inevitable question: will you provide more compiled versions in future? :( Or, maybe you deleted all necessary software.. :(

I will check every month to see if they updated the engine, and don't worry, I haven't uninstalled anything, so I will provide future versions of it. I will check tomorrow and I'll post the link if anything new comes up.

And here's a question for you: I see that you have the physical version of Terminal Velocity including its original box (lucky you), so I want to know, does the CD include high quality versions of the game's music like Fury? and Hellbender do?

View PostTorturephile, on 12 May 2017 - 12:44 AM, said:

I will check every month to see if they updated the engine, and don't worry, I haven't uninstalled anything, so I will provide future versions of it. I will check tomorrow and I'll post the link if anything new comes up.
And here's a question for you: I see that you have the physical version of Terminal Velocity including its original box (lucky you), so I want to know, does the CD include high quality versions of the game's music like Fury? and Hellbender do?

Thank You, Torturephile for good news about updates! I guess there is a point of new compilation only they really do add/change something worth it. But, then again, maybe it is easier just do it once in a while :(
About my "TV" boxed version, there is a small sad story about it. I have box, papers, plastic case of CD, but... CD itself is lost. I lost it the same early year when I bought it. I was working in PC hardware company, and CD was borrowed for "testing" on some customers PC, and... yeah, it went away with that PC. I had full installed, and in later years i have downloaded ISO just in case "from usual places", just in case, and, because I don't feel guilty, I really bought it. About music - I am pretty sure there was no special quality tracks. Than (excellent) music in game is one and the same I always remembered. That being said, there are "remixes" around the Net for those music themes. Like this one:

• Auramancer

Finally have a font definition file parser implemented, so now it's possible to modify the base fonts of the game. (Using a tool called Littera, to bake fonts of your choosing into PNG glyph atlases, and export a .txt file along with it that defines the offsets, size, spacing, etc for each glyph.)

Now... to fix that wrapping problem I had.

This post has been edited by Striker: 15 May 2017 - 02:09 AM

I salute to any progress on this, Striker! :(

• Auramancer

Gained a *ton* of speed by dropping the game's shadow code altogether. The plan is for realtime shadows and lighting sometime down the road, but that's for another time. (The old shadows looked like trash anyway, especially in Hellbender when they end up clipping with box geometry.)

Also, managed to get INI files writing in a way that's cross-platform, which will come in handy down the road.

View PostStriker, on 15 May 2017 - 10:47 AM, said:

Gained a *ton* of speed by dropping the game's shadow code altogether. The plan is for realtime shadows and lighting sometime down the road, but that's for another time. (The old shadows looked like trash anyway, especially in Hellbender when they end up clipping with box geometry.)
Also, managed to get INI files writing in a way that's cross-platform, which will come in handy down the road.

Even more great news... Have a smooth programming ahead! ;-)

Share this topic:

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options