Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Duke Forces -- THE Star Wars mod for EDuke32 - Duke4.net Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Duke Forces -- THE Star Wars mod for EDuke32

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 03 April 2017 - 04:43 PM, said:

I am having issue with enemies shooting through barriers & walls again though. Especially the bossk's beams.

As I understood it, the issue of enemies firing through barriers was caused by a workaround that I implemented in order to avoid having them randomly shoot themselves. Then Hendricks266 implemented a fix on the source side, and I removed the workaround for most enemies. There are a couple who still use it, but not for the original reason -- this would include droideka and one or two others. I don't know why the issue would seem worse, now. Personally I haven't noticed it much.

As for the beam shot on the concussion rifle that Bossk sometimes uses, we can pretend that it's a "railgun" which shoots through walls, like in a 90's action movie :blink:

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Posted Image

User is offline   Forge 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 03 April 2017 - 06:26 PM, said:

As I understood it, the issue of enemies firing through barriers was caused by a workaround that I implemented in order to avoid having them randomly shoot themselves.

I don't think it got worse, I think it was the game tripping balls.
There seems to be an odd random 'hiccup' that can occur when transitioning from force choke to other game action.
It's not very easy to do or repeat.

Instance 1: Choked a bossk - there were three other bossk in the same area - I managed to do something between choke & weapon fire & the next thing I knew concussion beams were coming out of the walls and floor.
I figured there were more bossk in the next room and also in another nearby room that was at a lower level - to account for the beams coming out of the floor. Nope. Just the other three bossk in the same genral room with me. It must have been their beams being projected weird.

Instance 2 - Choked an enforcer while swapping a weapon via keyboard (blaster rifle to light sabre). Ended up with a glow in the dark blaster rifle that wouldn't fire (or act like a light sabre without the animation). The weapon wouldn't switch out via keyboard, but did from mouse wheel scrolling.

I couldn't repeat either of these if I tried a hundred times.

This post has been edited by Forge: 03 April 2017 - 08:03 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Thanks, I have noted those for future reference. In the first case, it sounds like the pitch on the models which comprise the trail of the power beam were not set correctly. This is very easy to fuck up, since all hitscan trail actors are hardcoded to be owned by the nearest player sprite, even if the hitscan weapon was fired by a different actor (it takes some code with tricky timing to override this so that they are pitched correctly). In the second case, you are not supposed to be able to switch weapons whilst force choking an enemy, but you found a loophole -- something I will rectify in a future update.

I'm having trouble finding the Download link for 2.0/newest release

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostCaptain Massive, on 04 April 2017 - 01:48 AM, said:

I'm having trouble finding the Download link for 2.0/newest release

I posted one earlier in this thread, but at this point the Mod DB download has been authorized so you can go there.

Chriserino channel has made a review of Duke Forces based on 1.0 just 2 days before the 2.0 release.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Haha, cool. I left a comment.

User is offline   Forge 

Finished EP 4 without any problems (other than the loophole - exploit I accidentally came across).
The tie fighters worked flawlessly in Derelict & Darth Burger. (& the other maps where they were already working well)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I made a trailer for the new release..

All the slot spaces for the episodes screen appear to be occupied now, and if I'm not wrong, the only way to add more than six episodes it is to make one selection that brings you a to sub-menu where you can choose them (depending on the method utilized with or without a fake gamestart loading screen in the middle) or create a Quake style hub level.

We can assume from this little clue that in 3.0 the "using user custom levels to make the episode" phase is over and it will be already the total original stand-alone separated part that represent the most ambitious objectives that still on paper? I think that you yourself have said that user maps episodes serves as prequel story to this.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFantinaikos, on 05 April 2017 - 03:13 AM, said:

All the slot spaces for the episodes screen appear to be occupied now, and if I'm not wrong, the only way to add more than six episodes it is to make one selection that brings you a to sub-menu where you can choose them (depending on the method utilized with or without a fake gamestart loading screen in the middle) or create a Quake style hub level.

Pretty much, yeah. I think a hub level would be the way to go. The player would choose an episode named something like "classic 3DR levels" and then be transported to a hub where they could pick the specific episode. I would need to once again re-organize the music definitions and some code relating to level/episode progression, but it's a necessary evil. I do want to keep those episodes available, though -- part of the charm of this mod is seeing the original levels transformed, like in a TC from the old days of first person shooters.

View PostFantinaikos, on 05 April 2017 - 03:13 AM, said:

We can assume from this little clue that in 3.0 the "using user custom levels to make the episode" phase is over and it will be already the total original stand-alone separated part that represent the most ambitious objectives that still on paper? I think that you yourself have said that user maps episodes serves as prequel story to this.

Honestly I would still like there to be a story that uses only custom made maps for this TC. I would like it to start with Duke having no force powers at all, and progressing through the Darth Nukem phase, turning back to the light side and then ending the story. But to make this happen, there have to be level designers willing to devote a large amount of time and energy to the project. I will not be thinking about that again for a while.

In the mean time, I just uploaded a small patch to Mod DB that fixes a couple of issues.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Support for more than 7 episodes would follow naturally from changes that must be made as part of the music system that Total Meltdown needs.

It may be an undocumented feature of the mod, but is normal that a standard stormtrooper randomly appears behind you literally from nowhere after a defined amount of time? I thought such a similar thing would only happen with Siths. I'm absolutely sure to not confuse it with a prefixed spawn of the maps.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostFantinaikos, on 06 April 2017 - 08:54 AM, said:

It may be an undocumented feature of the mod, but is normal that a standard stormtrooper randomly appears behind you literally from nowhere after a defined amount of time? I thought such a similar thing would only happen with Siths. I'm absolutely sure to not confuse it with a prefixed spawn of the maps.

Same.
At first I thought they were annoying. Then I figured out they were an easy weapon / choke / lightning kill, randomly dropped a rifle to keep my ammo supply up, and occasionally also helped get the icon pieces faster for a sith spawn.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 06 April 2017 - 09:08 AM, said:

Same.
At first I thought they were annoying. Then I figured out they were an easy weapon / choke / lightning kill, randomly dropped a rifle to keep my ammo supply up, and occasionally also helped get the icon pieces faster for a sith spawn.

I added this feature towards the end of beta testing and it is documented in the PDF where it lists difficulty settings. One stormtrooper spawns every X number of seconds at a location that you have walked in recently, but always at least 8192 build units away (that's at least 25 meters I think). 100 seconds on difficulty 1, then 80, 60, and 40 for other difficulties, respectively. The spawn counter pauses whenever there is an enemy looking at you, so this should not happen during heavy action.

User is offline   Loke 

Finished the Darth Nukem episode. I really liked all the additional features. The only thing I disliked were the final map, Moon Base, because of how fucking pitch black many areas were. I had to go around blasting my rifles at walls so I could see where I was going. Unless I missed it somewhere I also didn't find a single night-vision goggle which made fighting enemies unbearable in dark rooms.

The only thing I disliked were the final map, Moon Base, because of how fucking pitch black many areas were. I had to go around blasting my rifles at walls so I could see where I was going. Unless I missed it somewhere I also didn't find a single night-vision goggle which made fighting enemies unbearable in dark rooms.

Same. Plus for this and other design choices my sensation during the map was "AAARGH!!! When you want to finish???" instead of satisfaction for playing it, I totally skipped the optional areas and this is bad for a map that should "encourage the exploration" as one of his stated goals.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostLoke, on 07 April 2017 - 04:29 AM, said:

Moon Base, because of how fucking pitch black many areas were.

light sabre

This post has been edited by Forge: 07 April 2017 - 07:01 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostLoke, on 07 April 2017 - 04:29 AM, said:

Finished the Darth Nukem episode. I really liked all the additional features. The only thing I disliked were the final map, Moon Base, because of how fucking pitch black many areas were. I had to go around blasting my rifles at walls so I could see where I was going. Unless I missed it somewhere I also didn't find a single night-vision goggle which made fighting enemies unbearable in dark rooms.

There is one final boss map after that one, though; I'm assuming you didn't mention it because it is so short.

As for Iggy's moon base map: it could use some goggles for sure. The light saber is an option for emergency lighting if you are playing with polymer, but maybe I should replace the map entirely. There's no particular reason why that map has to be in the mod.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 07 April 2017 - 11:29 AM, said:

As for Iggy's moon base map: ...maybe I should replace the map entirely. There's no particular reason why that map has to be in the mod.

^this
It's an okay map for general play, but aside from the dark areas, it has huge optional areas - it can mess with getting a sith to spawn

This post has been edited by Forge: 07 April 2017 - 11:50 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 07 April 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

^this
It's an okay map for general play, but aside from the dark areas, it has huge optional areas - it can mess with getting a sith to spawn

Got any suggestions for what to replace it with?

View PostTrooper Dan, on 07 April 2017 - 11:58 AM, said:

Got any suggestions for what to replace it with?

GJhoyer look quite good with Duke Forces.

http://msdn.duke4.net/hotgj.php

Or Abattoir, that has more plausible dark areas.

http://msdn.duke4.net/hotabattoir.php

Or Dark Side: Moonbase Mayhem

http://msdn.duke4.net/hotdarkside.php

Or, if you want stay closely to a more or less SW related atmosphere, take AT-AT walker (although I recommend to keep it in view as a map for the next Duke Forces episode).
http://www.scent-88....ker/awalker.php

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 07 April 2017 - 12:15 PM

User is offline   Forge 

The Lost Moonbase
http://www.scent-88....T/tlmb/tlmb.php

Icestation Colossus
http://www.scent-88..../icestation.php

Undesirable Elements
http://www.scent-88....re/undesire.php

Voices of Authority
http://www.scent-88....s/V/voa/voa.php

KaiseR Land 02
http://www.scent-88....er2/kaiser2.php

Another Big Base Attacked
http://www.scent-88....A/abba/abba.php

Invaders
http://www.scent-88....rs/invaders.php

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Thanks, guys, I will replace it with something. I'll release an update at the beginning of May and then promote it for Star Wars day (May 4th), which would be the 1 year anniversary of the mod. I have actually tried a lot of those maps with Duke Forces before. Some are a better fit than others. I try to make sure that the map runs well in polymer, and I also try to avoid maps where the player is likely to get stuck, and maps with intricate sprite/texture work that will not do well when sprites/textures are replaced. An example of a map that seemed like a good fit but did not work out is Another Big Base Attacked. At one point the player gets stuck in a pitch black water filled area and cannot get out. I remember the player being able to jump out and proceed when I played the map originally, and I changed nothing that should break it...might be an example of something getting messed up in an EDuke32 update which would effect the map in vanilla as well. Anyway, like I said, I will replace moon base with something.

User is offline   Sanek 

Russian site Gameguru wrote a little article about Duke Forces, just announcing that this mod exists - with moddb link and trailer attached. I doubt that anyone would read it here, but I just want to tell that Duke Forces have a little bit more publicity now. :blink:

User is offline   Nokiaman 

I've just started playing the 2.01 and I have to say this thing is fucking briliant on so many levels. Guns feel good (GODDAMN LASER PROJECTILES), Lightsaber is satisfying yet not totally OP (love Duke's lines). Some of the music is bit eh (DF tracks I recognized don't sound right for some reason) , but w/e. Plus the bundled eduke32 might be only one that actually runs well for me.
Masterpiece 10/10

This post has been edited by Nokiaman: 08 April 2017 - 01:17 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNokiaman, on 08 April 2017 - 01:08 AM, said:

I've just started playing the 2.01 and I have to say this thing is fucking briliant on so many levels. Guns feel good (GODDAMN LASER PROJECTILES), Lightsaber is satisfying yet not totally OP

That's good to hear -- in particular because striking that balance was one of the main gameplay objectives. One of the great things about the original Dark Forces was being able to use Star Wars GUNS. I think the devs lost sight of this with the sequels and later SW games where guns became pretty much useless and it was all about light sabers and force powers.

Some of the music is bit eh (DF tracks I recognized don't sound right for some reason) , but w/e.

Yeah the music is one of the areas that needs improvement. I was afraid to include straight rips of the cinematic music due to copyright reasons, so what got included is various DF and SW midis recorded with decent instruments. It's not bad, but some tracks are better than others.

Plus the bundled eduke32 might be only one that actually runs well for me.

What's bundled is simply the current EDukee32 build, which has seen numerous improvement in the last year. If you are referring to polymer running well, that's also due to the selection of maps.

User is offline   Nokiaman 

Hmm good point about the polymer, it might be the maps indeed (not sure honestly) and I'm glad to hear music is getting improved down the line :blink:

This post has been edited by Nokiaman: 08 April 2017 - 02:01 AM

Yeah the music is one of the areas that needs improvement. I was afraid to include straight rips of the cinematic music due to copyright reasons, so what got included is various DF and SW midis recorded with decent instruments. It's not bad, but some tracks are better than others.

Much Dark Forces mods have custom musics, some come from other Star Wars game, other are fanmade tracks. I can rip them if you want.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options