Duke4.net Forums: Date of the Tentacle (Free Fangame) - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Date of the Tentacle (Free Fangame)

User is offline   ---- 

I hope it is allowed to to post own games here when they are free. :blink:

I have written myself an Adventure-Engine for Game Maker-Studio (it is something like Adventure Creator for Unity 3D) and needed something to fill this engine before making and releasing own games with it. So I made myself a "sequel" to Maniac Mansion and Date of the Tentacle (using the old MM-graphics, though).

There are over 100 Maniac Mansion-Fangames out there collected under the hood of Maniac Mansion-Mania and it never got a cease and desist in over 10 years.

The story is that Green (the tentacle) moves out of the mansion because of Purple's and the other weirdos behaviour. But being the only tentacle out there Bernard Bernoulli (you, the player) has to build a tentacle-woman for im ... of course there is a little more happening.

Currently it is Windows only and if your Monitor has at least a resolution of 1024 * 768 it should be running on PC with XP SP2 and onwards.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fans of the Maniac Mansion-Mania-community described it as "great" with "very good humour" and "very fitting puzzles".
I have written it so, that anybody can enjoy, even if one hasn't played MM or DotT.

And yes, it has some strong adult themes.

It has a playtime of 2 to 3 hours.

Download:
https://gamejolt.com...tentacle/243114

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 29 March 2017 - 01:33 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I downloaded it and will try it later today. I love point and click games. I plan on making one some day using screen shots from Mapster32 where I will build the backrounds. I made a 2 screen demo a while back using AGS ( Adventure Game Studio )

This post has been edited by Mark.: 29 March 2017 - 04:24 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Deluxe Paint-style graphics = win

Played it for a few minutes, the only thing I managed to do is to make Bernard's sister leave the house... I'm terrible at adventure games, I like replaying them every so often but for the first time it's annoying :blink:

• The Sarien Encounter

Was Deluxe Paint used by the way? Or did you use something like GraFX 2?

User is offline   Mark 

I played for about 15 minutes so far. I like it. Adjusting the text speed slider about 1/2 way between normal and fast is good for me.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostCryptKiller, on 30 March 2017 - 08:32 AM, said:

Played it for a few minutes, the only thing I managed to do is to make Bernard's sister leave the house... I'm terrible at adventure games, I like replaying them every so often but for the first time it's annoying :D

I could post a walktrhough tomorrow when I am sober. :blink:

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 30 March 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

Was Deluxe Paint used by the way? Or did you use something like GraFX 2?

Most graphics were taken from the Maniac Mansion-Mania-Community. I used Photoshop to make the new graphics (1st, 2nd and 4th screens are by me, 3rd pic's room is taken from other games they made ... the difference in style of the second pic (pixelated gradients opposed to single colored walls) later becomes logical because of the story).

View PostMark., on 30 March 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

I played for about 15 minutes so far. I like it. Adjusting the text speed slider about 1/2 way between normal and fast is good for me.

Thanks. :blink:
You can also hit space or click the mouse to end a displayed textline after you read it.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 30 March 2017 - 03:40 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Thanks. I adjusted it so that it was a decently close match between anims and text during the scripted scenes.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMark., on 30 March 2017 - 05:40 PM, said:

Thanks. I adjusted it so that it was a decently close match between anims and text during the scripted scenes.

What do you mean?

The talk-animations run as long as the text above their head is visible, no matter how long the text is displayed.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 30 March 2017 - 11:11 PM

User is offline   Mark 

When its set too slow it displays a small sentence for a long enough time that you can read it 3 times. By setting it faster the text displays for roughly the same time as it takes to read it. Plus you don't see the character's mouth moving for 5 seconds when the text takes 2 seconds to read.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMark., on 31 March 2017 - 03:34 AM, said:

When its set too slow it displays a small sentence for a long enough time that you can read it 3 times. By setting it faster the text displays for roughly the same time as it takes to read it. Plus you don't see the character's mouth moving for 5 seconds when the text takes 2 seconds to read.

Yeah, that's OK. I thought something was out of sync. I was also thinking about non english speakers who might take longer to read. :blink:

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 31 March 2017 - 05:43 AM

User is offline   Mark 

Not to worry. Nothing wrong with the game. Glad you made it adjustable.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMark., on 31 March 2017 - 05:45 AM, said:

Not to worry. Nothing wrong with the game. Glad you made it adjustable.

If you need help ... just ask here. :blink:

So how about that walkthrough then? :blink:

User is offline   ---- 

View PostCryptKiller, on 31 March 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

So how about that walkthrough then? :blink:

Been busy drinking. Sorry.

I try to put one together tommorow. :blink:

Spoiler

Part two will follow later.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 01 April 2017 - 12:52 AM

User is offline   Mark 

Use Microwave... " I need a hamster to use microwave " :blink:
Small mistake I found. You forgot the letter t in the word " It " for one of the refrigerator lines.

EDIT: I noticed more very minor spelling or word usage mistakes. Should I point them out or not? They don't spoil or interfere with the game at all. Its just that I noticed them.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 02 April 2017 - 06:23 AM

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMark., on 02 April 2017 - 06:13 AM, said:

Use Microwave... " I need a hamster to use microwave " :blink:
Small mistake I found. You forgot the letter t in the word " It " for one of the refrigerator lines.

EDIT: I noticed more very minor spelling or word usage mistakes. Should I point them out or not? They don't spoil or interfere with the game at all. Its just that I noticed them.

That would be great. English is not my native language and I had nobody to read over the stuff.

EDIT:
But I am proud that in my engine the characters walk around each other and in Thimbleweed Park they walk through each other. :blink:

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 02 April 2017 - 06:30 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I also really like how I can left click to go to a door, right click to open, left click to go through. Quick and easy. I like games where I can just lean way back in my chair and not worry about reaching the keyboard.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 02 April 2017 - 06:59 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I'm liking the puzzles and humor. Good commercial.

I'll send the corrections to you in a PM.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMark., on 02 April 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

I'm liking the puzzles and humor. Good commercial.

I'll send the corrections to you in a PM.

Thanks a lot. Glad to hear, people like it. :blink:

I incorporate the stuff from the PM in a week or so. Still collecting. :blink:

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 02 April 2017 - 12:13 PM

User is online   Gambini 

I love most Lucas Arts advetures from 80´s 90´s (there were more?).

This looks really cool and the premise sounds amusing, i may give it a go if i have some time!

This post has been edited by Gambini: 02 April 2017 - 02:04 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I'have been playing for a long time now and finally got stuck. I didn't want to, but I had to take a look at the spoiler walkthrough. I did all of those steps already so what I need will be in part 2 when you finish it.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMark., on 03 April 2017 - 05:10 AM, said:

I'have been playing for a long time now and finally got stuck. I didn't want to, but I had to take a look at the spoiler walkthrough. I did all of those steps already so what I need will be in part 2 when you finish it.

Just ask.

It's faster to answer a single question than write it all down which I will only do in the next days.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 03 April 2017 - 05:34 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I'll PM so I don't spoil it for others.

EDIT:

Just a quick review to others that read the thread.

The point and click interface is quick and easy to learn and use. I consider myself average in figuring out puzzles in this style of game and I'm finding that this game is a good challenge without being a frustrating, hair pulling experience. The mild adult humor in places is not "real raunchy" and the humor in general is fun. I haven't finished the game yet but at the rate I'm going it should be a few hours of good fun and exploring. If you haven't tried a point and click adventure game yet, be sure to try this one. You may get hooked on them and there are many more out there to play.

Be sure to use your imagination and try any and all things you can think of when using or combining objects you find. Not only is it needed to finish the game but it brings out lots of the humor in the game.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 03 April 2017 - 06:24 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I sent a PM. I'm stuck.

User is offline   Mark 

I was bored this morning so I made a quick mockup of one of the game screens in Mapster.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: maniac mockup1.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark.: 19 April 2017 - 06:32 AM

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMark., on 19 April 2017 - 06:28 AM, said:

I was bored this morning so I made a quick mockup of one of the game screens in Mapster.

THat's great.

I actually think about making a short Adventure as content for version 2 of the engine (never release a paid game without having the engine in public for testing purposes is a rule of mine).

I thought about Duke Nukem in Maniac Manion-style trying to score or free a babe or something (very short game, only four or five rooms).

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 19 April 2017 - 07:33 AM

User is offline   Mark 

Not all the proper graphics, but its what I had available in my Graveyard mod folder. I'm doing this for fun and practice for when I someday make a point and click adventure.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: basement.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark.: 19 April 2017 - 10:23 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

That's excellent! Cool!

User is offline   ---- 

Here is the logo for my upcoming adventure (It is WIP, so it might change, as will the subtitle).

After many people liked the humour, the storytelling and the puzzles in Date of the Tentacle, I decided to make my very own adventure with better graphics, a unique and weird story and not much political correctness.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 07 June 2017 - 09:14 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options