Duke4.net Forums: Original Build editor - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Original Build editor  "where to find it?"

User is offline   Big Bene 

• Youngloov

View PostDaedolon, on 27 March 2017 - 12:10 AM, said:

If you really want to use the "original" editor...

As I wrote above, I actually "want" to use Mapster now.
I just wonder how difficult it is to get hold of the original build editor.
After investing several days of research, I just want to find a legal way to get it. I can't beliefe there isn't a way. By now, it has become the hunt, not the prey, that matters.
But this is just a side quest.
Mainly, I'm still here for making vintage maps that actually run on vintage machines. And I will use Mapster to do so. You already convinced me.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Did you see Yatta's second post?

• Youngloov

View PostHendricks266, on 27 March 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

Did you see Yatta's second post?

Yes, I have, as well as Hank's first.
Thank you very much, guys!

Yatta said:

Oops, try this one.
HQ3C-DTNH-NCAR-JEBU

Thanks a lot, but has again been used by someone before I could. :blink:

I have at least three Duke 3D games. If you like, I can send you the editor as a zipped file, and will destroy that given version.
or download the original set here, for 'educational' purposes.
https://archive.org/..._1996_3D_Realms

Well, I would not have wanted to have an original version destoyed, anyway, but is there a specific reason why you offered it first and then stroked it? :blink:
Used the second link, and finally own a build.exe of my own again!
Groovy!

No back to the main thing-
I started to install the tools I need to build up Mapster on my own computer at home, but I'm still in the process. I write in this forum mainly at work, when a little creative break is nedded in programming. Here I have a Win10 thin client with very lilmited rights, so that's pretty much all I can do here. My time at the home comp is limited too. My three year old likes to watch some Youtube vids and play some games with me before going to sleep, and I won't deny him this. But when the editor is set up, I think he will have fun when we/I make up our own map. For start, I think of something like a pirat ship - would provide some action and still be appropriate for a child.

This post has been edited by Big Bene: 28 March 2017 - 06:09 AM

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Check your PMs, youngloov

User is offline   Hank 

View PostBig Bene, on 28 March 2017 - 05:46 AM, said:

Well, I would not have wanted to have an original version destoyed, anyway, but is there a specific reason why you offered it first and then stroked it? :blink:
Used the second link, and finally own a build.exe of my own again!
Groovy!

I stroked it after my old lover Yatta offered an entire Duke 3D game

• Youngloov

Check your PMs, youngloov

I did. Finally worked! Thanks a lot!

I stroked it after my old lover Yatta offered an entire Duke 3D game

I see. Just asking. Thank you, too!

• Youngloov

OK, this night I had a bit of spare time at my home computer and finally set up eDuke / Mapster.
Seem to work, though I only created 1 sector for test.

A big big thanx to all of you!

I'm really eager to start using it now.

One thing would like to ask at the moment:
Is there an equally convenient art editor out there which works under Linux?

I have worked with editart all these years ago, and have no problem doing so, but I have seen someone here did what looks like a really great frontend (https://forums.duke4...s-editor-bafed/). However, though being documented as written in Java, the download was just an .exe file, so it won't work at Linux (without emulator). Or am I wrong here? As said above, I have still much to learn about Linux (but so far, it has been worthwile).

Is there a recommendable art editor for Linux out there? Or, if not, is there still one you would recommend for me (to use in DosBox)?

This post has been edited by Big Bene: 07 April 2017 - 03:39 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostBig Bene, on 07 April 2017 - 01:59 AM, said:

Is there a recommendable art editor for Linux out there? Or, if not, is there still one you would recommend for me (to use in DosBox)?

Art editing is arguably the Achilles heel of Duke modding. People haven't focused on making tools for editing art files, which isn't surprising since they're a pretty specialized format.

These days it's generally recommended to get 8-bit art into the game using def files (code that tells the game how to treat the image) and standard formats such as pngs. Although if you're not using eduke32 that's obviously not an option.

Have you thought about getting the guy to release the source and compiling it on linux?

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I'd opt for using EDuke32 and the DEF language for working, then focusing on ART stuff before release.

User is offline   Jblade 

I just use Dukeres because writing text files to get tiles in games is adding an extra step to a process that's been easy for about 20 years by this point.

User is offline   Mark 

Is the art file format so odd or complex that nobody has stepped up to finish RomaLooms GRP Viewer? Right now you can, with a couple of mouse clicks, import and export files to a GRP and export from art files. Finish it up by allowing to import textures into the art file.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options