Duke4.net Forums: What the hell is going on with Mass Effect: Andromeda? - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What the hell is going on with Mass Effect: Andromeda?  "This is gonna be a disaster!"

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostTea Monster, on 27 March 2017 - 12:36 AM, said:

Read it. He isn't.

You read it. He is being an apologist.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I read it. You are delusional.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

RIP Prey 2 :blink:

User is offline   X-Vector 

Apparently some people aren't afraid to let a good rant stand in the way of rationality.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I'm not delusional, here's a point by point analysis of his apologism. He's an apologist because these are his peers. Can't let the industry look bad! Just accept what we sell you. We work really hard you know! <):^)

>animating an RPG is a really, really big undertaking
>comparisons are unfair
>its a quantity versus quality tradeoff
>In Mass Effect 1 we had over 8 hrs of facial performance
>"We don't have time to make everything look good, so we let algorithms control unimportant stuff"
>Andromeda seems to have lowered the quality of it's base algorithm
>"Im sure they meant to do every line by hand!"
>"Games have always had this many problems. It's YouTube's fault!"

He never once addressed the fact it looks like shit compared to older games and modern games with smaller dev teams. He's being an apologist because there's no reason any of this shit should look the way it does beyond the fact the devs didn't know what they were doing or didn't give a fuck. He never once said that it's the devs' fault. He made a bunch of excuses. I know it's hard to read the characters in Andromeda's lips, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to read between the lines.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 29 March 2017 - 04:27 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostJimmy, on 29 March 2017 - 04:25 PM, said:

>Andromeda seems to have lowered the quality of it's base algorithm
>"Im sure they meant to do every line by hand!"

How are these lines in particular being apologetic?

He's basically saying:
>They did a bad job on the algorithm.
>They got slack or had a bad strategy.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Because he never said they did a bad job. He said they just didn't have enough time, even with a 5 year dev cycle.

User is offline   Lunick 

https://twitter.com/...244079159103488 :blink:

User is offline   Jeff 

Finished the game.

I understand now why this was set up and why they went to Andromeda after reading over Alec's memories.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Jeff: 11 April 2017 - 07:31 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

http://press-start.c...ial-animations/ Seems like the facial stuff is going to be "improved"

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Welcome to AAA industry, everyone.
Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Posted Image

Can't we just get back to making and playing games without this crap? This is partly why I've shied away from games that are heavy on story. Games are supposed to be an ESCAPE from reality, not an extension.

It just goes to show that people will never be happy. You cater to identity politics in any way and they'll just complain that you didn't do it good enough or distastefully. There's no happy ending. There's no "Oh look! A transgender character in a game! That's so awesome!" It's just "Well, they screwed it up. Just like I thought they would." How about don't do it at all? Obviously they ham-fisted the character in there just to have it there which means it added nothing to the story. It should never have been there to begin with.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 06 April 2017 - 08:23 AM

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 06 April 2017 - 08:19 AM, said:

Can't we just get back to making and playing games without this crap?

Sounds like we can't, not in America for sure. I'd say the same about entertainment industry in US as a whole. For movies it's even worse since B movies or small movies are dead in America.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

I don't think the problem is catering to identity politics (because you can get extra sales that way), it's doing it in a naive way. At that point you might as well skip it or it will have the opposite intended effect. That goes for basically any product that's brought to market where you can cater in some way that's "knowing" to the intended audience (any audience) and they'll respond in a way that generates additional sales, but any kind of mistake tends to cause people to lash out.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMblackwell, on 06 April 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

I don't think the problem is catering to identity politics (because you can get extra sales that way), it's doing it in a naive way. At that point you might as well skip it or it will have the opposite intended effect. That goes for basically any product that's brought to market where you can cater in some way that's "knowing" to the intended audience (any audience) and they'll respond in a way that generates additional sales, but any kind of mistake tends to cause people to lash out.

Today I feel that the cultural divide is so deep that developers should choose between avoiding any sort of political reference whatsoever (not as easy as it sounds), or go all-in and make a game that completely caters to a specific group. The old thinking is that they should avoid offending people on the grounds that that will drive away potential customers. But with the market so big and diverse, developers could do very well with a divide and conquer strategy. If a game is hated by some on political grounds, this will drive up sales from folks on the other side of the divide. Of course, it still needs to be a good game and not try to get by on pandering, because that will ultimately backfire.

User is offline   Mark 

Just imagine how politically correct a modern version of the board game "The Game of Life" would have to be. Spin the dial, move to the square that says " you got caught telling a sexist joke to your friend, go back 3 spaces" or "you participated in the march to get the last remaining conservative professor removed from campus, you get $200.

its off topic but I couldn't resist. BTW, I started a new thread so you can join in the fun with your ideas.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 06 April 2017 - 12:08 PM

Marketing policy, bland characters, transgenderism, blob bodies, Pingu faces...

You don't understand how deep is guys! Everything has been carefully calculated to perfection to make feel at ease Sara, because she is... special.

Posted Image

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMark., on 06 April 2017 - 12:00 PM, said:

Just imagine how politically correct a modern version of the board game "The Game of Life" would have to be. Spin the dial, move to the square that says " you got caught telling a sexist joke to your friend, go back 3 spaces" or "you participated in the march to get the last remaining conservative professor removed from campus, you get $200.

its off topic but I couldn't resist.

But you are showing your age, Mark. That would have been the game 20 years ago. Nowadays you would go back 3 spaces for wrongly identifying your friend with their biological gender, and the "march" would be a riot to stop a conservative speaker from coming to your campus and beat the shit out of any white "fascists" in the area. EDIT: Damnit, Mark, you made me forget that this is a ME thread! I will now go away.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 06 April 2017 - 12:10 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I created a new thread. Post ideas over there.

User is offline   Lunick 

🤔

They applied Saturation -50 on eyes.png?

View PostSledgehammer, on 06 April 2017 - 05:36 AM, said:

Welcome to AAA industry, everyone.
Posted Image

Hainly was actually shockingly badly written from what i saw

Youd think a company trying to be inclusive wouldnt fuck up this bad (except they arent they just want the brownie points with none of the work put in)

Pretty big of them to admit they fucked up though

Now if only they would admit they fucked up a bunch other parts of the game...

This post has been edited by Captain Kupo: 07 April 2017 - 05:04 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Don't praise them too much. This is not something they would normally apologize for. They're only doing it because of the vast social backlash. I don't find that big of them at all.

User is offline   Jeff 

I tend not to get wrapped up in all the politics. I just play the game.

• The Sarien Encounter

Well, I don't play the game. So all I have is to get wrapped up in the politics. :blink:

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 07 April 2017 - 05:30 AM, said:

Don't praise them too much. This is not something they would normally apologize for. They're only doing it because of the vast social backlash. I don't find that big of them at all.

Its something atleast

I also appreciate that they actually plan on fixing alot of the problems with the game

A bit too late though

You would think they would have waited until they fixed the major issues at the very least to avoid being turned into a total joke

ESPECIALLY considering they released it on the trail of 3 of the biggest releases of the year, one if them (botw) being widely hailed as one of the best games ever made (id say automata is as well)

User is offline   Jeff 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 07 April 2017 - 07:36 AM, said:

Well, I don't play the game. So all I have is to get wrapped up in the politics. :blink:

I must be the only one playing on these boards.

• The Sarien Encounter

I don't play Mass Effect at all. I'm just not interested. And its presentation hasn't really sold me.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 07 April 2017 - 09:48 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 06 April 2017 - 08:19 AM, said:

Posted Image

Can't we just get back to making and playing games without this crap? This is partly why I've shied away from games that are heavy on story. Games are supposed to be an ESCAPE from reality, not an extension.

It just goes to show that people will never be happy. You cater to identity politics in any way and they'll just complain that you didn't do it good enough or distastefully. There's no happy ending. There's no "Oh look! A transgender character in a game! That's so awesome!" It's just "Well, they screwed it up. Just like I thought they would." How about don't do it at all? Obviously they ham-fisted the character in there just to have it there which means it added nothing to the story. It should never have been there to begin with.

You fucking gamergaters are all RACIST MYSOGINIST BIGOTS.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options