• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem's Bulletstorm Tour  "Randy hinted at something for December 1st"

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Geez, you guys are brutal. I thought they were funny. Gave me a chuckle heh. The voice is way off though, yes.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 22 March 2017 - 04:16 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 22 March 2017 - 04:15 AM, said:

Geez, you guys are brutal. I thought they were funny. Gave me a chuckle heh. The voice is way off though, yes.

I were like "WHAT THE HELL?" after watch both two videos and after some seconds later I just LOL so hard...but then I just want to take Duke away from those weird ADs from my brain... :blink:

The voice of Duke just......ah, forget it.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 22 March 2017 - 06:50 AM

Posted Image

me on the left

But... why theatre? Duke doesn't fit there, and it's such a jarring addition you're not quite sure how to react.

So yeah, I guess those are perfect ads for Bulletstorm Duke Nukem Edition.

View PostCryptKiller, on 22 March 2017 - 07:22 AM, said:

But... why theatre? Duke doesn't fit there, and it's such a jarring addition you're not quite sure how to react.

Judging by the second ad, it looks like the premise of this campaign is highlighting how Duke has ended up "somewhere else he doesn't belong." The concept doesn't really work, though. since he's just being substituted in from his own FPS to another, one that could easily be said to have taken inspiration from him to begin with. Also, Duke has already been making crossover appearances as far back as Death Rally, Balls of Steel, and Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure. Also also, franchise crossovers aren't even particularly uncommon nowadays, what with Serious Sam and Lo Wang and whatnot ending up every which where.

This one's from Land of the Babes... I'm not defending the new ones, they're shit, but don't bash the voice... this one's bad as well, and it's from when Duke was still king.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Well, at least he's silent there and there are sexy females too.

User is offline   axl 

Is this for real ??? Just when you thought Duke couldn't sink any lower...

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostNever Forgotten, on 22 March 2017 - 10:32 AM, said:

https://www.youtube....h?v=ei2FRunFzik

This one's from Land of the Babes... I'm not defending the new ones, they're shit, but don't bash the voice... this one's bad as well, and it's from when Duke was still king.

I don't really see how that one is anywhere near as bad per se. It's cheesy as fuck, but Duke doesn't talk there. It's all external narration. And the tone is true to the game. Ultra B-movie premise with a heavy dose of cheese.

LOTB is generally regarded as the beginning of the end of Duke's mostly successful run from 1996 to 2002. (Duke 3D, TTK, Zero Hour, Advance, Manhattan Project.)

View PostCommando Nukem, on 22 March 2017 - 11:43 AM, said:

It's cheesy as fuck, but Duke doesn't talk there. It's all external narration.

At the end Duke looks to the camera and says "It's good to be the king." And it's baaad. I'm not saying it's worse, I'm just saying that Duke's never had another good voice, outside of the games. The quality and tone matches the game perfectly, yes, much better than those new ones. I was just showing that they've always done the bad voice... but at least the old ones were good.

User is offline   spessu_sb 

Atleast the LOTB's trailer still had proper attitude with that Static-X going on in the bg.

I did not expect these trailers, they definitely are lacking on that *badass factor* compared to the 90's stuff.

User is offline   BoowHow 

Let's hope it doesn't get any worse than it is now.

• The Sarien Encounter

I maintain that I like them and you guys are just riding the hate train. The voice may be off, but the dialog is right on IMO.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 22 March 2017 - 01:18 PM

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

Riding the hate train is simple when Gearbox and Pitchford seemingly go out of their way to make it as easy as possible to board.

There are so many things they've done since they acquired the IP that make it clear that they either have absolutely no idea what they're doing, they don't care or they want to twist Duke into their own idea which is more focused on parody and straight up comedy.
Look through all the Duke Forever development documents and art that came out like the Feng Zhu concept art. It was clearly supposed to be a sci-fi epic with a dark gritty world and environments just like Duke3D was just with that touch of bad-ass witty remarks and the infrequent comedic reference in the world. Now compare that to how Gearbox sees Duke. Lol b00bz bazingaaaa and every time they're questioned they say 'That's just Duke!'. Well it sure as fuck isn't.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - George Broussard may be a terrible manager but creatively he knew what he wanted and for Duke it was always this vision of a bad-ass action hero who came off as a witty alien ass-kicker never making that full leap to total comedy and straight up stupidity. Under Gearbox we will NEVER have the real Duke back EVER. They have a complete fundamental lack of understanding for why the character worked in the past. The spin-offs and Atomic Edition knocked up the humor and cheese a level but it never reached the levels its at now. it was always balanced out by the world and the focus on just being a cool character.

I'm just glad the brilliant community working on the fantastic mods for Duke3D exists because it seems like what the community can produce will piss all over whatever Gearbox tries to do.

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, except that what Broussard wanted for DNF was exactly what we got and what everybody hated. That wasn't Gearbox or Pitchford. That was all ex-3DR and George's direction.

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

Except not really..they took a build that was a year out from release, hacked it up and threw together something that would qualify as a game to avoid a lawsuit then had Gearbox work on it for a year on multiplayer and polishing the game. It's probably as far from what he wanted as possible.

What we got was a beta build with half the content torn out and the most completed parts being thrown together to avoid legal action. We never got Duke Nukem Forever. It was never released.

• The Sarien Encounter

I think your opinion is highly subjective and not based on facts as much as your feelings. For instance, Gearbox didn't work on multiplayer at all. Piranha Games did. None of what you're saying follows with what I've understood from people both in and out of the know. But I'll gladly accept someone else's more reliable information as I obviously wasn't there. What I've understood is that Gearbox more or less finished the game that George was "cutting to ship" before laying everyone off in 2009 and lots of people contested that based on how terrible it was and how 3DR couldn't POSSIBLY have been creating the "mess" that eventually came to us. It was my understanding that everyone at Triptych defended DNF as exactly what they were shooting for.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostHiPolyBash, on 22 March 2017 - 06:00 PM, said:

Except not really..they took a build that was a year out from release, hacked it up and threw together something that would qualify as a game to avoid a lawsuit then had Gearbox work on it for a year on multiplayer and polishing the game. It's probably as far from what he wanted as possible.

It's fine. I got what they were trying to say in the ads except for "Turnt." I don't know what it means and won't bother looking it up. Since the setting of the ads are theater, it makes since to me that Duke is deliberately played by another actor in a play. I'm surprised to see an advertising budget for this small Duke experience so it shows Gearbox does care, even if they don't understand him like we do.

The ads aren't that bad, it's the Borderlands fans in the comments that are.

Yeah, DNF was a flop and Duke in Bulletstorm might be a hackjob but Duke needs more chances. I wouldn't say no to Duke in a Borderlands game though.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I have mixed feelings for these ads, I like seeing the return of a live action Duke in commercials from the glory days of Zero Hour and Land of the Babes, but yeah they feel off.

If they make another one they may as well have Duke take a jab at the Borderlands 3 whiners cause they are getting annoying as fuck and I like Borderlands.

User is offline   axl 

As shitty as it looks, I'm probably still going to buy the game (if it is on sale) because I haven't played the original bulletstorm (and apparently is quite good) and it's been pulled from steam. The fact that it will allow me to play as Duke is an added bonus...

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I think the ads are ok. The Romeo and Juliet one was even kind of clever.

What's the deal with the 3DR lawsuit getting mentioned?

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostPikaCommando, on 22 March 2017 - 07:17 PM, said:

The ads aren't that bad, it's the Borderlands fans in the comments that are.

The howling irony of Borderlands fans complaining that Gearbox should stop making "Shit games" and instead work on more Bordomlands.

• The Sarien Encounter

What I like most about these ads is Duke is wearing his classic outfit, not Douche Nukem's "Duke uniform" with the black trim.

View Postaxl, on 23 March 2017 - 01:55 AM, said:

As shitty as it looks, I'm probably still going to buy the game (if it is on sale) because I haven't played the original bulletstorm (and apparently is quite good) and it's been pulled from steam. The fact that it will allow me to play as Duke is an added bonus...

Same here. For those of us who haven't played Bulletstorm, it might as well be a new Duke game. I'm not sure if I'll play the original campaign without Duke. I'm afraid it will hurt the Duke-add in experience for me.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostTea Monster, on 23 March 2017 - 02:58 AM, said:

The howling irony of Borderlands fans complaining that Gearbox should stop making "Shit games" and instead work on more Bordomlands.

And I'm guessing some Duke fans would like Shovelware should stop making lazy crossover games and instead working on brand new Duke games.

:blink:

From entertainment points, those ADs just good(except Duke's voice, I think many would agrees it's off), but beyond that, I don't know......I'm still considering about get a copy of that even on sale since I already have shitload of games still never played/completed, these ADs just can't help.

Oh, and hater always gonna hates.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 23 March 2017 - 05:57 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

My favourite so far is the Scrooge one.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Posthismasterplan, on 22 March 2017 - 07:14 PM, said:

"Turnt"

Turnt or lit means wasted, drunk, high, etc.

User is offline   trustn0! 

As much as i genuinely like Borderlands, this wave of abject retardation its fans are exhibiting makes me want to strangle the lot of them.

Bunch of gits.

Although i will say, i did do a double take when i heard "hashtag turnt". What dipshit at marketing came up with that one?

This post has been edited by trustn0!: 23 March 2017 - 11:37 AM

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options