Duke4.net Forums: Must play, definitive Duke 3D mods? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Must play, definitive Duke 3D mods?

User is offline   petrus 

What are your definitive, showcase, must play, best looking, or best in technical terms, Top 3 Duke 3D mods?

User is offline   ozelot47 

My favorites Duke Nukem Mods are AMC TC, Attrition and Oblivion 3D

-- Edit --
AMC TC has a good varation of characters and the Story is just amazing. I can not wait for Episode 3 :P
Attrition is a good RPG mod and it is better than Naferias Reign in my opinion.
I like Oblivion3D too, because of the puzzle-like and complex maps and Zaxtor has 255 HP which is necessary.

This post has been edited by ozelot47: 03 March 2017 - 11:34 AM

User is offline   Mark 

It depends on the type of mods you like. Mods to run in software renderer, hi res or lo res graphics, fancy Polymer lighting or not. Mods that still have Duke as the player or not. Or do you prefer total conversions with all custom content? Some good mods have no fighting. If we know the type you prefer, more specific recommendations could be given.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 03 March 2017 - 11:35 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

Imperium, WGR2 & DNF2013

User is offline   Jolteon 

Top 3? That's a tough one for me. I've played a lot of great Duke Nukem 3D mods out there. But If I were to choose just three of my favorites, They would be:

3. Duke Forces
2. DNF 2013 (Including the DLC)
1. AMC TC

Honorable mentions:
Spoiler

User is offline   Hank 

Definitive? No can do! My suggestions only:
Star Ship Troopers
Platoon
WGRealms

User is offline   NNC 

DNF2013 and Last Reaction (especially episode 2) are my top 2.

Not sure about the 3rd. Maybe Daikarin or ADG episode, but both have some flaws.

I prefer mods that were built on the original game, and not detoured with wastly different gameplay elements.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

1: Starship Troopers
2: Grins of Divinity
3: AMC TC

Honorable mentions:
Last Reaction & Waterbases/Chimera
DNF 2013
God of War
Imagination World

User is offline   MC84 

I have to admit that I've been out of the duke3d scene for a LONG time, only recently started playing around with mapster at the end of last year. But I have to rate the AMC TC mod (I played episode 2). Really awesome stuff - my favourite level was ghost ship, which was one of the best 3d shooter levels I've ever played in my life.

1. Duke Nukem Attrition (a.k.a. War of Attrition)
2. AMC TC
3. Duke Forces

Honorable mentions:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by DarkEvilous: 06 March 2017 - 07:57 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postconoklast, on 05 March 2017 - 12:47 AM, said:

I have to admit that I've been out of the duke3d scene for a LONG time, only recently started playing around with mapster at the end of last year. But I have to rate the AMC TC mod (I played episode 2). Really awesome stuff - my favourite level was ghost ship, which was one of the best 3d shooter levels I've ever played in my life.

Hey thanks, that level was predominantly built by me. James helped out with some bits and pieces, polish, and of course the boss at the end. That's what you get with collaborative mapping projects Posted Image Is there any reason why you haven't played Episode 1?

I'd list some recommendations but everyone seems to have them covered. All the ones listed here are worth a shot. Although note that Oblivion can be incredibly frustrating at times, and we won't hold it against you if you find it isn't your cup of tea Posted Image

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

The only real answer: http://www.moddb.com...thouse-paradise

User is offline   Mark 

Graveyard https://forums.duke4...ease-graveyard/

Decay https://forums.duke4...-release-decay/

User is offline   Cernex 

1. Duke Forces
2. Starship Troopers TC

And I guess "Duke it Out in DC" if that counts as a mod.

User is offline   king karl 

oblivion TC is a surreal and wacky adventure through incredibly complex maps, the 3rd 4th and 5th episodes in particular are must see

war of attrition is an almost rougue like first person shooter with random levels built atop duke3d

and AMC TC is a pretty involved rpg dripping with atmosphere.

User is offline   Jmoc 

WGRealms2, *all* of it, extensive brutal carnage in open space environments. It works best with the unlockable character hard-core gameplay, I was delighted from the start until the end.
War of Attrition if only for the powerups, also adding new dimension to gameplay.
Also DukePlus with double monsters, 20% monster mutations, 3rd difficulty.

I value mods on how they manage to improve gameplay and the satisfaction of finishing hard levels.

Source: played almost all Duke mods for over 15 years.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postking karl, on 08 March 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

and AMC TC is a pretty involved rpg dripping with atmosphere.

While this is true, you can basically ignore the vast majority of the RPG elements if you want, and have an experience that's closer to a standard FPS.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMicky C, on 10 March 2017 - 03:23 PM, said:

While this is true, you can basically ignore the vast majority of the RPG elements if you want, and have an experience that's closer to a standard FPS.

... and that AMC is way above a mod/TC. It's a free game with (for) the EDuke32 engine; and in my never humble opinion: It is not part of this thread. The title says: mods/TCs and not stand-alone EDuke game!!!

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHank, on 10 March 2017 - 11:14 PM, said:

... and that AMC is way above a mod/TC. It's a free game with (for) the EDuke32 engine; and in my never humble opinion: It is not part of this thread. The title says: mods/TCs and not stand-alone EDuke game!!!

I disagree -- yes, it has been released as a standalone game, but it's still a modification of Duke 3D. By your standard, WGR2 wouldn't count either, since it is also standalone. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples. I would count any release that includes a significant amount of content from the base game (any combination of maps, textures, sounds, script code or other assets).

Any others?

Not going to be any originalr there but >_>

_AMC TC (because ob-freaking-viously)

_WGR2 Siege Breaker (because superb gameplay\ambiance\levels)

_Trequonia more recently (because Zaxtor FTW (and because super polished and mastered compared to Oblivion))

As for honorable mentions I would say BDP The Gate (because 1st mod I ever played and still looks very good despite its old age) + Attrition (because perfect replayability) + Imagination World (because James Standfield FTW (and because more original than the average) + Oblivion (because Zaxtor again and one of the first TCs I ever played along with The Gate and DIB) + Imperium (because nice maps and good use of Duke Plus mechanics) and finally Infestation In Time (because original and its small monetary system (and the menu music is kicking ass)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options