Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Duke Forces -- THE Star Wars mod for EDuke32 - Duke4.net Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Duke Forces -- THE Star Wars mod for EDuke32

User is offline   xenoxols 

How's this?
Posted Image

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postxenoxols, on 01 February 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

How's this?

Yeah, that looks a lot cleaner and better that what we are currently using! The other 2 frames are shooting and recoil (tiles 2525 and 2526, corresponding to the original pistol frames). The only quibble I have right now is that the two fingers shown gripping don't seem quite right. Or do they? I'm not sure.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 01 February 2017 - 11:36 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Also, if you are up for making any new weapons, I would like to have an ion blaster like the jawas use:

Posted Image

http://starwars.wiki...ization_blaster

It's a short range energy weapon that cripples droids and other electronics but not organics.

Which version you have in mind?

ANH
Posted Image

or ROTJ?
Posted Image

Could you interest also gungan boomas?

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 02 February 2017 - 02:59 AM

View PostTrooper Dan, on 01 February 2017 - 11:31 PM, said:

Yeah, that looks a lot cleaner and better that what we are currently using! The other 2 frames are shooting and recoil (tiles 2525 and 2526, corresponding to the original pistol frames). The only quibble I have right now is that the two fingers shown gripping don't seem quite right. Or do they? I'm not sure.

I don't have any real tilting recoil frames, but I can animate the hammer and block.(Like a real C96)

This post has been edited by xenoxols: 02 February 2017 - 05:44 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFantinaikos, on 02 February 2017 - 02:55 AM, said:

Which version you have in mind?

The ROTJ version would do nicely.

View PostFantinaikos, on 02 February 2017 - 02:55 AM, said:

Could you interest also gungan boomas?

Nah, I'm trying to keep the weapons grittier, and stay away from the presequel content for the most part (droidekas were an exception).

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postxenoxols, on 02 February 2017 - 05:43 AM, said:

I don't have any real tilting recoil frames, but I can animate the hammer and block.(Like a real C96)

That would be cool.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 02 February 2017 - 11:45 AM, said:

That would be cool.

How many firing frames do you want?

User is offline   Mark 

I'm not a sprite expert but could you just take the existing gun and hand and give it a slight tilt for the recoill frame? It wouldn't have to move much.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 02 February 2017 - 12:47 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postxenoxols, on 02 February 2017 - 11:55 AM, said:

How many firing frames do you want?

Are we talking about the hammer and block animation only? In that case, just 1 should be enough.

View PostMark., on 02 February 2017 - 12:47 PM, said:

I'm not a sprite expert but could you just take the existing gun and hand and give it a slight tilt for the recoill frame? It wouldn't have to move much.

It depends on what you mean by "tilt". It's easy to change the size and rotation of the sprites, but there's no way using code to actually tilt it in a way that changes the player's perspective. That's one of the shortcomings of using sprites and not models.

User is offline   Mark 

I meant tilt it in the graphics program. Here is a quick example. I selected the sprite and rotated it to the right by 12 degrees. This left a space at the bottom left of the hand. So I did a sloppy job of extending the hand and cloning a 3rd finger to fill the space. If someone did a better job of it, it might look ok in the game.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: recoil test.jpg

Here is a 3 frame animation, just like the vanilla pistol.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Let me know if you need more frames.

This post has been edited by xenoxols: 03 February 2017 - 04:39 AM

User is online   Lunick 

Is there a reason why you're using the Duke 64 hands?

View PostLunick, on 02 February 2017 - 06:50 PM, said:

Is there a reason why you're using the Duke 64 hands?

I had sprites of a C96 with 64 hands lying on my hard drive already. I guess I could try and use the Duke3d ones. Also I forgot to mention, credits to Jazzmaster9, Sinael, and Pandut for the C96.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The duke64 hands are fine as it turns out. You don't really see the bottom part of the hand much anyway. I've already got it in-game. I'll post a video of that and some other stuff in the near future. Thanks, xenoxols!

Yo, I uploaded the wrong idle frame. Here is one that matches with the firing frames.
Posted Image

My attempt at make a Ion Gun frame, not totally sure about size and angle though. One should be enough since in theory is a weapon, at least from what you can see in the movies, without a particular recoil.

Attached Image: Ion gun_idle.png

It could also be aided by the fact that the ROTJ version has little less "personality" of the ANH version, so maybe would not be that good anyway.

Here's an edit of it. it didn't turn out that great IMO.
Posted Image

We are definitely going somewhere...

Attached Image: Ion Gun Idle.png

Now needs some Ion flashes.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

OK, I see now that I have made a mistake. What you have been working on is this version:

Posted Image

Unfortunately, that does not look good at all in 1st person perspective. What I actually want is the version that the jawa is firing in the pic I linked above. Sorry.

Posted Image

Well, I even have the other version so it shouldn't be a problem.

Here we go. At least now I'm pretty sure that the angle is correct.

Attached Image: Ion Blaster_idle.png

Wizard Xenoxols, your magic it's requested.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFantinaikos, on 04 February 2017 - 04:24 PM, said:

Here we go. At least now I'm pretty sure that the angle is correct.

Attachment Ion Blaster_idle.png

Wizard Xenoxols, your magic it's requested.

I'm going to suggest an alteration to make the stock synthetic and dark grey rather than brown wood. While I have no doubt that the stock of the prop gun was actually made of wood, looking at the movie still of the jawa firing, one gets an impression of a dark gun...I think they wanted it to look metal. I think it's best to go with the impression of the gun given by the film, rather than the actual prop or replica of it. When movies are shot they try to create an illusion; often props look like shit in person and give a different impression in film, with the controlled lighting etc.

Ok, followed I've the new instructions. I suppose we can apply the shader.

Attached Image: Ion Blaster idle.png

Need more frames too?

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 04 February 2017 - 05:10 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFantinaikos, on 04 February 2017 - 05:09 PM, said:

Ok, followed I've the new instructions.

Attachment Ion Blaster idle.png

Need more frames too?

Did you make that model, by the way? Impressively quick work if you did. When displayed, there would be no point in showing much of the stock, it kind of seems like a waste.

What do you think of this design?

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's different from the movie prop but it gives a similar impression. However, it is more detailed and will look better in 1st person imo.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 04 February 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

What do you think of this design?

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's different from the movie prop but it gives a similar impression. However, it is more detailed and will look better in 1st person imo.

It's surely a gun that help the pact of suspension of disbelief. But the mod already have two weapons in pistols category. Also, how it suppose to act? Istant destruction on droids and stun only on organic?

BTW, I have found the Boba Fett EE-3 carabine blaster during my Dark Forces mods excursion. Interested? (probabably another weapons that need sniping ability, perhaps better to keep it has a Turok-after-boss-fight unique drop for story mode).

when displayed, there would be no point in showing much of the stock, it kind of seems like a waste.

That distance is the only prospective that doesn't make look the hands too little or too big, otherwise it would look weird. You could just remove the stock in excess cutting directlty on the image or placing the sprite lower ingame.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 04 February 2017 - 07:02 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFantinaikos, on 04 February 2017 - 05:27 PM, said:

Also, how it suppose to act? Istant destruction on droids and stun only on organic?

Big damage and stun on droids/mechanical but almost useless on organic. It would be a special purpose weapon with limited ammo to balance the game. I noticed that the droids and mechanical enemies tend to be more powerful (with the exception of sith).

Here's my take on the ANH one.
Posted Image
The stock isn't metal, but it could pass as very dark wood, which resembles the movie.

User is offline   Mark 

I'm assuming that the angle needed for the sprite is the reason there is no muzzle cylinder at the end. It looks flat.

You did a great job. :P Now just choose the version and the rest.

Wood
Attached Image: Ion Blaster Idle Wood.png

Metal
Attached Image: Ion Blaster Idle Metal.png

(removed some image artifacts too)

I'm assuming that the angle needed for the sprite is the reason there is no muzzle cylinder at the end. It looks flat.

Even for that but the cilinder part it's also slightly smaller and not big as the ring, so it's normal if you see it like that from behind.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options