Duke4.net Forums: Favorite depiction of Duke? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Favorite depiction of Duke?

Which is your favorite image/depiction of Duke? Less in terms of in game models and more in terms of marketing and cover art. Personally, my favorites are out of the intro videos for Time To Kill and Land of the Babes. My least favorite would probably be the version of duke that's on the cover of Critical Mass and Manhatten Project.

My mental image of Duke is probably either the Zero Hour cover or the 2001 DNF promo image. The critical mass rendition is inarguably the worst but aside that mess, Land of the babes CGI Duke is really ugly in my opinion. It's probably technical limitations of the period but he just seems too bulky/lumpy and cartoonish.
Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

DNF's cover is the worst Duke. Best is Duke3D's.

User is offline   Loke 

I've always liked the Zero Hour depiction of Duke.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also like this one although I'm not sure where it's from originally. Looks like an alternative take on the Duke Nukem 3D box art.

Posted Image

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 09 January 2017 - 05:11 AM, said:

DNF's cover is the worst Duke.

Indeed. Douche Nukem is the worst Nukem.

User is offline   CruX 

Posted Image

never bothered with DNF and probably never will, but I always liked the grizzled Willis-esque thing they were going for here. So much of his look consisted of these distinct 90's trends that didn't age well at all imo, but here it always felt like they'd found a way to hang onto it without it being the first thing you'd notice.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I think the Bruce Willis look thing was a fluke. Just the way the camera, lighting, and animation (specifically with facial expressions) made Duke look in that teaser. I don't think the model itself looks anything like Willis.

Going to have to go with Loke, Zero Hour and Time to Kill era Duke was awesome, especially that cowboy outfit.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Zero Hour, without a doubt.

User is offline   Adekis 

Wow, I've never played Zero Hour, so that Cowboy / longcoat look is new to me. Looks awesome, if maybe a little dated! Wish there was more of it!

Mine is probably this, actually:

Posted Image

I always liked the DN2 cover, but the updated version was a great, well, update!

Duke is always kingly, I'd say the coolest is Duke 3D like most on here would agree. Great brief cutscenes, lot of character. I agree the Time to Kill intro was very cool when I was a kid, and that look is cool (low poly CG cool for the time). He has a lot of great one liners in that game.

User is offline   neznam 

Posted Image

View Postneznam, on 18 January 2017 - 10:42 PM, said:

Posted Image

😳

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I just love this. I so wish that we got this instead of DNF.

Posted Image

Honestly?

Posted Image

I always thought it was a missed opportunity to make Duke more like his DN2 incarnation. Dorky badass who knows which end of the gun goes boom and is famous because he saved the Earth a couple of times, but otherwise is a likeable goof, like Schwarzenegger or The Rock. I'm quite sure such depiction could also win him some more fans, because imo the whole "80's action hero" was parodied to death between Duke 3D and Forever, and DNF fixation on tits and phallic symbolism was awkward. I really liked the proposed storyline to Duke4Ever, it's that zany idiocy that Duke games miss - I mean, Proton steals California, President of USA is happy with it, and Duke only goes into action because he has a mansion on Malibu? This is not height of satire, but I'd take it anytime over any part of Forever.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

That does tap into an idea I've always had for Duke's "origin" of sorts. Well, I tapped it in one of my scripts. I had Duke sitting on the couch with a beer in one hand, watching TV and picking out one liners from movies and TV shows.

Personally, my favorite depiction of Duke was in Zero Hour. I think that was him at the height of his character. He got to say and do a lot of things, and it wasn't all just distilled down to dick/tit/fart/poop jokes and one liners. He actually got some character for a change. That opening exchanging between Future and Present Duke is aces.

"Who the Hell are you, my evil twin?"
"No. I'm you, genius, only back in time. Now hear me..."

Perfect, too, because, while it is a pop culture reference. It's not a specific reference that will grow dated. Everyone will get the "Evil twin is a cliche" joke for a long time. Compare that to some of the really odd, specific, and already quite dated jokes made in DNF and yeah...

Posted Image

The 2001 DNF cover Duke is my favorite Duke of all time. It's the one image that speaks everything about him; tough and cocksure. I think his smirk on that cover really adds to his character, especially when every other cover is just him making a grimace. The final DNF cover also has him smirking, but that one is more of a condescending "suck it down" smirk instead of the heroic "you can bet on me" smirk here.

Not a fan of the 2007 DNF Duke. He just looks weird with veins and all that. Kinda like a zombie, actually. I guess my mental image of him is more of a young Arnold Schwarzenegger in the 80s; muscular but sleek.

User is offline   necroslut 

Duke 3D. 2007's DNF Duke was pretty badass also, and I did like Interceptors Duke art.

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostPikaCommando, on 25 March 2017 - 09:06 AM, said:

Posted Image

The 2001 DNF cover Duke is my favorite Duke of all time. It's the one image that speaks everything about him; tough and cocksure. I think his smirk on that cover really adds to his character, especially when every other cover is just him making a grimace. The final DNF cover also has him smirking, but that one is more of a condescending "suck it down" smirk instead of the heroic "you can bet on me" smirk here.

Ah, yes...the ol' "Duke Carey" E3 promo image.

Always bet on Drew.

Posted Image

Posted Image

In all honesty, I quite like the M.U.G.E.N version of Duke. Yes, he's a re-skin of Cable (I think), but he still looks great, and Duke Nukem was the reason I got into M.U.G.E.N in the first place!

As for the 3D games.....it's a three-way tie between Duke from the cover of D3D, Duke in the promo art for Zero Hour and the classic "Always Bet On Duke" DNF art.

This post has been edited by Major Tom: 03 April 2017 - 06:38 AM

Yeah, the mugen chara version is looks cool, looks like he jumped out from saturday morning cartoon or a comic book. Although iirc his shooting animations look very goofy...

User is offline   The Nate 

View PostCryptKiller, on 03 April 2017 - 12:15 PM, said:

Yeah, the mugen chara version is looks cool, looks like he jumped out from saturday morning cartoon or a comic book. Although iirc his shooting animations look very goofy...

I'm kinda sick of mugen characters that look like they're out of street fighter, and my fave Duke would be this:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: vlcsnap-2017-04-03-18h48m27s327.png

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

So this is funny. The model Gearbox replaced? Yeah...

Posted Image

He kinda looks a bit short/stocky though.

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

This is the final render of Marks model that 3D Realms were going to use. Looks a hell of a lot closer to what Duke should look like than what Gearbox is using.

Posted Image

Jon's current version of Duke's voice would not fit this model, but his earlier works would. I wonder if the DNF model inspired the new Duke Vox's performance or the other way around?

View PostHiPolyBash, on 11 April 2017 - 01:54 AM, said:

This is the final render of Marks model that 3D Realms were going to use. Looks a hell of a lot closer to what Duke should look like than what Gearbox is using.

Posted Image

Ah, I think I finally understood why I don't like this rendition of Duke as much. His skin feels pale here. Could be because I'm too used to seeing Duke being tan/orange in all the previous official Duke art.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostLoke, on 09 January 2017 - 05:31 AM, said:

I've always liked the Zero Hour depiction of Duke.

View PostCruX, on 09 January 2017 - 08:41 AM, said:

never bothered with DNF and probably never will, but I always liked the grizzled Willis-esque thing they were going for here.

View PostPikaCommando, on 25 March 2017 - 09:06 AM, said:

The 2001 DNF cover Duke is my favorite Duke of all time.

I like these three as well. I think the smirk in the 2001 version is the best-fitting though.

View PostCryptKiller, on 03 April 2017 - 12:15 PM, said:

Damnit, why did Doomguy's attacks do so much damage while Duke's attacks seemed practically ineffective?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options