• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

Posted Image

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

World Tour's renderer makes the damn game look like mush a lot of the time. Those "high res" blurry Borderlands textures.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostCommando Nukem, on 05 December 2016 - 11:49 PM, said:

World Tour's renderer makes the damn game look like mush a lot of the time. Those "high res" blurry Borderlands textures.

Turn off ambient occlusion. Problem solved.

EDIT: Fuck off "I'm with Hurrr", this is a post trying to help someone out.

This post has been edited by Striker: 08 December 2016 - 07:04 PM

View PostHiPolyBash, on 02 December 2016 - 04:29 PM, said:

Yes, you sure would know for a fact. It's not like both Wiederhold and Frederik Schreiber who have both had access to the builds have said that there was a decent chunk of content. No way. That never happened. Nope.

I'm going to do my best to help without re-reading the entire thread and all the back and forth so that I avoid forming emotional opinions based on opinions. I adore Nanci... and I adore Jimmy. I also adore hard ass shit posting and trolling. But I also adore truth.

DNF 1998 was definitely just bite sized moments. They were all intended to be real gameplay in the long run, but the team found out very quickly that the Quake engine could not get them where they wanted to go so the 1998 content when compared to modern efforts would best be described as "Proof of Concept". I think they could have made a *great* game with the Quake engine, but I also think switching to Unreal was the appropriate choice if the project had been properly focused toward a release date.

DNF 2001+ was far far beyond "Proof of Concept". There was a game there. It wasn't done, but there was a game there. There is so much to Slick Willy and Lake Mead that nobody here except Fred and those he's shared with have seen... and I'm not even sure they have builds that demonstrate the full scope of what was playable start to finish and ready for shipping polish efforts.

Regarding linear vs non... the Half Life comparison is valid (shhh... because George told us to mimic Half Life... which was a good directive and he was right). The maps at the 2001+ time tried to give as much flexibility as possible... but you couldn't go from the "John Carpenter's Vampires" Motel to the Slick Willy (all the same level)... until you had solved the puzzles in "John Carpenter's Vampires". When I compare the 2001+ version to what was released... Jimmy is absolutely right that the entire feel and structure of the released DNF was far more linear and "DO IT BECAUSE WE WANT YOU TO SEE FUNNY HAHA SEE WE ARE FUNNY OMG PLEASE LAUGH" than the 2001+ designs.

The entire conversation is a wash. The OG content gave you choices and rarely forced you to do the "HAHA WE'RE SO FUNNY" things. The mentality was about discovery of things that you normally wouldn't expect a game to do. The final release... SHOVED ITS FUNNY DOWN YOUR THROAT AND MADE YOU GAG.

So that's all possibly too wishy washy to help... but the level to level big moment to big moment progression in the 2001+ era was fairly linear for sure... but the on the ground second to second feeling of choice in the 2001+ version was far more expansive and people could have played the whole game and go online and realize they missed the best parts.

I try to stay out of these conversations since I've gotten involved in such controversial conversations elsewhere... but forces larger than I brought me back here for today.

/salute Duke Fans... Duke is why we're here because God Will Sort Them Out.

This post has been edited by ErgoTheChappy: 08 December 2016 - 07:50 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostErgoTheChappy, on 08 December 2016 - 07:00 PM, said:

The final release... SHOVED ITS FUNNY DOWN YOUR THROAT AND MADE YOU GAG.

Huh, then I wonder why....

...you know what never mind, I can't make that joke I just can't.

View PostJimmy Gnosis, on 02 December 2016 - 03:03 AM, said:

...Brian Hook who was finally reigning in George's bullshit.

Hook didn't do anything I hadn't already done. Gearbox and possibly Fred have video evidence of it. Hook jumped on a train I built with other smart people, a couple of us took a bullet for, and many people ultimately profited from once "I left". I admire Brian a lot and told him as much during the time he was there... but... gah... venturing into STFU territory.

/salute

This post has been edited by ErgoTheChappy: 09 December 2016 - 03:16 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 08 December 2016 - 09:37 PM, said:

Huh, then I wonder why....

I posted my answer live for about 30 seconds. Maybe not even that long. I like the people I was picking on.

Giving this post some more meat. Check out this interview and keep in mind organizations tend to repeat patterns from their past. Such as only fixing issues after departures force the issue.
http://www.loonygame.../feat/index.php

Levelord: It'll be interesting to see what happens with Charlie over there. Well, I’m sure they've changed over there...when I was with them, they didn't have money, like they do now. They've got tons of money. And a lot of my grumbling was simple ergonomics. My desk, I thought, was a piece of shit. As I looked across at a whole empty office, thinking why am I sitting here at a doorway, with people going back and forth every fucking minute. Breaking my concentration. And little things like that...I had to ask three times, for a ZIP drive, and I never got one. Just so I could take work home to work on the weekends, and I had to go out and buy my own, a $200 ZIP drive. But most of it, I'll be honest, was professional, obviously. I wanted to own my own company.

I am thankful for my time at 3DR... and I've even stopped by his house unannounced to tell George the things I appreciated years after I've been gone.

This post has been edited by ErgoTheChappy: 09 December 2016 - 03:41 AM

while the HYSTERIAL HILARIOUS LULUZLUZLZULZUL was mostly due to Triptych trying to make something thats technically a game as quickly as possible to get 3DR out or a lawsuit and ship something with people unfamiliar with the franchise I still get this vibe that it was Randy that make it a lot worse..

View PostHiPolyBash, on 09 December 2016 - 03:42 AM, said:

while the HYSTERIAL HILARIOUS LULUZLUZLZULZUL was mostly due to Triptych trying to make something thats technically a game as quickly as possible to get 3DR out or a lawsuit and ship something with people unfamiliar with the franchise I still get this vibe that it was Randy that make it a lot worse..

I wasn't there but based on what I observed it seems like it was a hyper-feedback loop with nobody around with the balls to say "This isn't genuinely funny to anyone but tweens and chicks trying too hard to impress high school boys".

Yes but what is complained about most being the actual narrative and the way its put together is 100% the blame of Triptych/Gearbox. Broussard even tweeted that he disliked the way it was being marketed and that Duke was never purely about sex and he's supposed to be a bad-ass. The 'Fellatio' hotel and others I have no idea, I assume that'd be 3DR but the more IN YOUR FACE LALALALALA stuff was purely GBX/Triptych.

View PostHiPolyBash, on 09 December 2016 - 03:55 AM, said:

Broussard even tweeted that he disliked the way it was being marketed and that Duke was never purely about sex and he's supposed to be a bad-ass.

View PostErgoTheChappy, on 09 December 2016 - 03:12 AM, said:

...keep in mind organizations tend to repeat patterns from their past.

They repeated what worked for Borderlands to DNF. I don't think it really hurt or helped in the long run because the released game itself turned out to be so irrelevant to the "Story of DNF".

Which is kind of impressive when you really think about it.

The number of times the released DNF knocks Duke on his ass for dumb-ass reasons is shocking to me. I've said it before and I'll say it again... when I was there Duke had to drink a 6 pack of 40's to get fully drunk. The released version only took 1... because nobody had the balls to tell the ESRB "Fuck off limp dick wimps."

This post has been edited by ErgoTheChappy: 09 December 2016 - 04:03 AM

View PostStriker, on 07 December 2016 - 06:59 PM, said:

EDIT: Fuck off "I'm with Hurrr", this is a post trying to help someone out.

DAMNIT. Second time today I've gotten bit by clicking too fast and recklessly while waiting for page to finish loading and pushing mouse button at exactly the wrong time. Was supposed to be an upvote. Compensating elsewhere... and gonna try to stop voting while managing/loading multiple tabs at once with 3/4 of those tabs being work related. Thankfully the work related tabs don't have insta-nuke click failure conditions. :D

Have I overstayed my welcome? Mission accomplished. :lol:

Back to the more polite and civil sections of this forum. /salute Duke! :devil:

Never forget...

the big league trolling by Person of Color and Weider

Still telling as much of the truth as possible.

--------------------------------

Final edit/contribution before returning to the shadows. Emphasis on that... will not be following up on further questions for a while because verging too close to genuine nerves.

View PostJimmy Gnosis, on 26 November 2016 - 07:37 PM, said:

This is 100% demonstrably incorrect. 3D Realms quit production in 2009. Then some of the developers went rogue, and continued to develop it without Scott Miller and George Broussard. Say what you will about either of these men, but without their involvement it is not 3D Realms at that point. And that is why they chose the name Triptych. Triptych and Gearbox released a very different game than 3D Realms was planning to release, and I will say that while George Broussard may have never managed the game to a point where it would be released, he also never would have allowed what was released to go gold. It was not a Duke Nukem game, and it was re-written by two women who had no grasp of the character. Duke Nukem Forever was a mangled mess because of Triptych's rogue development where they clearly chopped the game up and Gearbox Software signed off on it. It was not the game 3D Realms intended to release. DEMONSTRABLY SO. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong and will be forever wrong.

During this "greatest fanservice" Gearbox also halted a much better release of the game by the EDuke32 team.

This is a very very good post in many ways. Size changes mine.

This post has been edited by ErgoTheChappy: 09 December 2016 - 06:58 AM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostErgoTheChappy, on 09 December 2016 - 04:54 AM, said:

DAMNIT. Second time today I've gotten bit by clicking too fast and recklessly while waiting for page to finish loading and pushing mouse button at exactly the wrong time. Was supposed to be an upvote. Compensating elsewhere... and gonna try to stop voting while managing/loading multiple tabs at once with 3/4 of those tabs being work related. Thankfully the work related tabs don't have insta-nuke click failure conditions. :D

Have I overstayed my welcome? Mission accomplished. :lol:

It's a shame you can't alter your vote like some boards. There's times where I've accidentally downvoted someone.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostStriker, on 09 December 2016 - 08:39 AM, said:

It's a shame you can't alter your vote like some boards. There's times where I've accidentally downvoted someone.

We bought a XenForo license a while back to replace this board with, but couldn't find anyone who could do an acceptable job of replicating the existing board theme aside from paying someone a few hundred bucks to port it.

If you guys can find someone to create the theme, there's a much needed forum software update waiting.

Is the primary roadblock art or someone to spend the time modifying the theme? I'm quite capable of recycling art and doing very simple art so I'd be potentially interested in giving it a shot. I could use something else to do with my evenings besides spending every night investigating and helping build the case against the darkness. If you've got a sandbox going I could take a look and see if it's something within my abilities.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostErgoTheChappy, on 09 December 2016 - 02:59 AM, said:

Hook didn't do anything I hadn't already done. Gearbox and possibly Fred have video evidence of it. Hook jumped on a train I built with other smart people, a couple of us took a bullet for, and many people ultimately profited from once "I left". I admire Brian a lot and told him as much during the time he was there... but... gah... venturing into STFU territory.

/salute

I just meant during that time period. So many people tried to reign George's bullshit in that I ultimately think it was Scott Miller's failure to put his foot down. I think this is just the danger of working with your friends.

View PostHiPolyBash, on 09 December 2016 - 03:42 AM, said:

Randy could have said "This game is shit." at any time. He didn't.

View PostJimmy Gnosis, on 09 December 2016 - 04:57 PM, said:

I just meant during that time period. So many people tried to reign George's bullshit in that I ultimately think it was Scott Miller's failure to put his foot down. I think this is just the danger of working with your friends.

Randy could have said "This game is shit." at any time. He didn't.

Randy encouraged the direction. He spent half the time leading up to release joking on Twitter about Duke being a misogynist and posting shit like adding nipple rings to the master chief suit being 'major lulz'. I've said it before and I still believe it but a new Duke game should have George/Scott attached in advisory/producer roles. Not having them head development but also steer the game in the right direction, make certain creative decisions would probably result in something that's more the Duke we all miss.

View PostI, on 09 December 2016 - 12:22 PM, said:

I only downvoted because I tried that and it didn't work for me.

Hmmm... we might be thinking of/seeing different things? There are very few options and turning off AO definitely returned it closer to the OG crisp feel without losing all the other new features. Perhaps post a screenshot of what is bothering you?

I'm gonna try to play through the new episode this weekend. Been putting it off because I'm a curmudgeon.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostErgoTheChappy, on 09 December 2016 - 05:09 PM, said:

Been putting it off because I'm a curmudgeon.

lol :lol:

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Michael Huber of Easy Allies/GameTrailers fame reminisces about the glory days of Duke Nukem 3D:

User is offline   Kralex 

• Removed

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 15 December 2016 - 10:38 PM, said:

Michael Huber of Easy Allies/GameTrailers fame reminisces about the glory days of Duke Nukem 3D:

His enthusiasm and nostalgia for the game are pretty infectious, that was a fun video!

User is offline   neznam 

placebo

This post has been edited by neznam: 16 December 2016 - 09:38 PM

User is offline   Steve 64 

Hehe I kind of heard the real duke 3d voice in there

View PostKralex, on 16 December 2016 - 03:51 PM, said:

His enthusiasm and nostalgia for the game are pretty infectious, that was a fun video!

I agree with you... until the very end of his video. I thumbed up before getting to the last minute.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostErgoTheChappy, on 17 December 2016 - 02:02 AM, said:

I agree with you... until the very end of his video. I thumbed up before getting to the last minute.

I was also pretty amazed at his sudden change of position. I can see what he's trying to get at saying that we should play Duke games for the gameplay etc, not the character, but why couldn't he just say exactly that instead of "oh btw the character sucks and he should quit" or something along those lines.

Surely Gearbox is aware that they need to put good gameplay into the next Duke game and not focus purely on the char... oh right the bulletstorm thing...

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Doom 2016 and Duke Nukem Forever, ironically enough, show the opposite ends of the spectrum as to how gameplay and character should influence and interact with one another.

User is offline   Kawa 

Hence the whole "take a page out of Doom's book" idea, amirite?

User is offline   Paul B 

Can anyone confirm if they have fixed the multi-player ? Does it actually work between maps in co-op and have low latency when more then two players are connected?

This post has been edited by Paul B: 26 December 2016 - 10:12 AM

User is offline   Steve 64 

If your talking about World Tour Mp it kind of works for the pc version just not that good consoles is still a no.

User is offline   Kawa 

View PostDuke Legacy, on 26 December 2016 - 08:36 AM, said:

it kind of works
That's very reassuring.

Share this topic:

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options