Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   Kawa 

I know how it works. I'm just wondering how something is "easy" with that many nodes.

User is offline   Roma Loom 

• Loomsday Device

That's easier if we are talking about normal/parallax/spec workflow. There's no need to make a model to get the normal and height + photoshop work. And the texture occupies like 10Kb on disk.

This grass for instance is only 14Kb:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: grass.jpg

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

If I want to get that kind of detail, I have to start pushing polygons and the file size zooms up pretty quickly.

User is offline   Mark 

I must have missed something. How can that roughly 800 x 800 grass texture be only 14kb?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Procedural generation instead of a bitmap.

User is offline   Mark 

You don't get something for nothing. Is the info being generated by the game engine instead of a texture file? Is that better or just a shell game with asset size? Or is my question too general for a complicated answer? I suppose a Google search is required for me. :mellow:

This post has been edited by Mark.: 24 November 2016 - 01:51 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

So what, is it literally coding up a texture?

User is offline   Mark 

Thats what it sounds like

User is offline   TURBOKID 

Posted Image

New card switch

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

Is it just you doing the art? Will the aspect ratio on the Ripper be fixed?

View PostHiPolyBash, on 24 November 2016 - 09:59 PM, said:

Is it just you doing the art? Will the aspect ratio on the Ripper be fixed?

I am the main artist (and more than likely be doing the whole expansion myself)
I might commision comic style remakes of the title screen and story boards (Like Duke Advenced)
And as soon as i figure how to change the aspect ratio that will be fixed, deagle needs to be a bit bigger as well (and should probably be translated on the Y a bit too as its a little low on the screen) Also need to figure how to add more weapons.

• Polymancer

View PostMicky C, on 24 November 2016 - 01:54 PM, said:

So what, is it literally coding up a texture?

Noodling up a texture :mellow:

User is offline   Mark 

The new switch is a good fit for your art style. I would suggest making the top and left edges darker.

User is offline   Kawa 

Speaking of noodles, I've tried some procedural texture tools within my budget (none) and the best I've found, NeoTextureEdit, for some reason won't load what it saves. Any suggestions for other such applications?

• Polymancer

Substance Designer is available for a 1 year free student/teacher license.

Blazing a tasty spliff getting ready for a day of cranking out the graphics.
Today ill be doing some more busty poster girls, some babes (pod and others), some inventory items, and some textures. If any mappers are interested I'm looking to make some improvements to the maps (windows and rooms in the buildings etc) PM me

Update

Posted Image

This post has been edited by TURBOKID: 26 November 2016 - 12:36 PM

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I'm still no sprite artist but....
Posted Image

Judges?

EDIT:
Looking good Turbo! :mellow:

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 27 November 2016 - 12:01 AM

User is offline   Kawa 

It's a bit off-center. Makes it hard to judge.

View PostxMobilemux, on 26 November 2016 - 11:57 PM, said:

I'm still no sprite artist but....
Posted Image

Judges?

EDIT:
Looking good Turbo! :mellow:

Thanks bro

Update, still working on the mod but dividing up the time between Duke and my Doom Project

User is offline   Jaap 

I'm back!

I started working on modifying the AI of Ichwill and got to the point where I was able to make AI controlled hostages that will follow the player. Hostages can't jump as high as the player and don't want to fall so they walk around where I jump up and down.

User is offline   Mark 

ugh, that reminds me of an old girlfriend that stalked me after our breakup. :mellow:

User is offline   Jaap 

View PostMark., on 27 November 2016 - 02:41 PM, said:

ugh, that reminds me of an old girlfriend that stalked me after our breakup. :mellow:

Yeah, women tend to do that :-P

• Honored Donor

View PostJaap, on 27 November 2016 - 02:37 PM, said:

I'm back!

I started working on modifying the AI of Ichwill and got to the point where I was able to make AI controlled hostages that will follow the player. Hostages can't jump as high as the player and don't want to fall so they walk around where I jump up and down.

https://www.youtube....h?v=pLGG_4cr_bw

Cool, how did you do that? I know Dukeplus has something where the player leaves a trail of invisible sprites for the enemy to follow, but this seems a bit smarter?

• Polymancer

Why is the pathfinding in your mod better than some of the AI/pathing that I've seen in modern games?

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostMark., on 27 November 2016 - 02:41 PM, said:

ugh, that reminds me of an old girlfriend that stalked me after our breakup. :)

Well, at least you then know you did something right...maybe? :mellow:

User is offline   Hank 

Another weekend's work. This is for a map. Basically replacing 'borrowed' work from real artists with my own hobbiest work.

Before
Posted Image
after, with the lights on
Posted Image

Before, with superior work from Redneck Rampage

Posted Image
after, with Genetica ,
Posted Image
added
Did not like the look of the second image to be honest. Below is then my very first wall in polymer.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 27 November 2016 - 09:43 PM

User is offline   Jaap 

View PostMicky C, on 27 November 2016 - 02:53 PM, said:

Cool, how did you do that? I know Dukeplus has something where the player leaves a trail of invisible sprites for the enemy to follow, but this seems a bit smarter?

I use an A * (ish) algorithm based on sectors in the map. There are a few rules when going from one sector to another the wall can't be too high/low and the wall can't be blocking etc. There is still a lot of room for improvement but so far npcs can move around relatively okay.

I have seen other mods with AI bots that follow you around but they tend to get stuck behind walls or just straight on run off a cliff :-P

P.S. I haven't checked out Dukeplus, gonna do so soon because I am curious now.

• Honored Donor

So it doesn't require any sprites to be manually placed in the maps, working purely on the sectors?

User is offline   Jaap 

View PostMicky C, on 28 November 2016 - 03:01 AM, said:

So it doesn't require any sprites to be manually placed in the maps, working purely on the sectors?

Exactly, just sectors. I did use sprites in Ich will (where this all started) to sort of guide bots to take a certain path. I would put up an alpha but I am currently using a con command to remove a range from an array that isn't (yet) part of the standard commands of EDuke. (I have asked Hendricks266 to look into making it part of EDuke).

Using just sectors does have some limits but I still have some ideas on how to get around that or improve on it.

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options