Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour - Duke4.net Forums

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

I really disliked those alien-infested levels like Fusion Station and The Queen. Not only because I prefer Duke to play around in urban/sci-fi environments, but also because most of them are pretty painful to get through. Ironic, because my favorite moment in DN3D is the monolith in Dark Side.

Also, I never really got the "storytelling via level design" stuff, like what Tea Monster described with The Abyss. I've never thought too deep about the lava and the alien ship (didn't realize it was a spaceship until someone here pointed it out) or other stuff like whether Fusion Station is a human space station turned alien or alien in origin because I just brushed them off as wacky 90s level design.

User is offline   axl 

View PostHendricks266, on 22 November 2016 - 12:20 AM, said:

I recall being more stumped by the Shawshank Redemption poster in E1L3, and being bummed that I couldn't unlock the big door in the courtyard with DNUNLOCK because I was playing the shareware at the time. By the time I figured out how to get past that, I don't recall any trouble with the rest of E1.

Same here. I hadn't seen the Shawshank Redemption yet and I didn't have access to the internet at that time. So I was really stuck in Death Row.

I also got stuck in Fusion Station... where you had to shoot the little button in the pipeline... These are the only 2 levels that gave me problems. Good times :-D

User is offline   ---- 

View Postaxl, on 22 November 2016 - 04:53 AM, said:

Same here. I hadn't seen the Shawshank Redemption yet and I didn't have access to the internet at that time.

That's why they point you towards that cell in the prison's overview (right next to the room with the Cycloid's hologram). :mellow:

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 22 November 2016 - 08:22 AM

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

The only place I was stuck in was the first level of Plug 'N' Pray episode until I accidentally fell of the bridge. Took me several days to figure that out

User is offline   axl 

View PostSledgehammer, on 22 November 2016 - 07:11 AM, said:

The only place I was stuck in was the first level of Plug 'N' Pray episode until I accidentally fell of the bridge. Took me several days to figure that out

Ah yes, if we include the plug N Pray episode, yes, then I would also mention Nightmare Zone and Faces of Death (the nuke button was extremely hard to find).

Anyway, back on topic...one last thing I also noticed in the new world tour episode, is that the secrets were much simpler than those in the original 4 episodes... often, they are just "cracks" in a wall with an item behind them (examples being in Red Ruckus, Golden Carnage, Hollywood Inferno, ...). Maybe I'm too harsh, but I remember the secrets in the original duke episodes being a lot more clever.

This post has been edited by axl: 22 November 2016 - 12:07 PM

User is offline   NNC 

Most of the original game's secrets were just as simple. I can't think of more than 10 really great secret places, and most of them belong to E1. The best secrets I found in E5 were Tour de Nukem's waterfall room and Bloody Hell's union jack in the top of the London Tower.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostTekedon, on 21 November 2016 - 02:41 PM, said:

Let me ask you guys something. How come this game runs like shit? I have well over the recommended specs. (well it's a laptop but still)

Specs:

i7 4710hq (2,5 ghz to 3,5 ghz) quadcore
Nvidia Geforce GTX 850m 2gb ddr3 (overclocked)
8 gb system ram
Win 10

When using "real 3d rendering" in full-hd I get around 15 - 30 fps max. Seems like this is worse optimized than Polymer. How come then recommended specs are a GTX 610? I would not have expected a game from 1996 to run this crappy, sure it's updated but still. Even without "real 3d rendering" I get drops below 60 fps sometimes. UNACCEPTABLE.

If it's like most laptops, the game might be using the Intel Integrated Graphics instead of your discrete GPU. Add World Tour's EXE to the NVidia Control Panel's Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings page, then make sure to set it to use the NVidia GPU instead of onboard.

User is offline   Tekedon 

View PostStriker, on 22 November 2016 - 03:59 PM, said:

If it's like most laptops, the game might be using the Intel Integrated Graphics instead of your discrete GPU. Add World Tour's EXE to the NVidia Control Panel's Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings page, then make sure to set it to use the NVidia GPU instead of onboard.

Thank you sir! You've just solved the problem for me. Difference is night and day. Strangely all other games use gtx850m automatically. I also realized I've been running Polymer with Intel HD 4600.. and I have been complaining that it's poorly optimized, also runs extremely well now. Big thanks! :mellow:

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Generally games not already existing in NVidia's profiles will use the Intel GPU, which is the default. Usually that ends up being non-AAA or homebrew titles.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Looks like World Tour is on sale for $13.99 currently. Might be a good price point to pick it up at for some of the people who were on the edge about purchasing it. More patches are also forthcoming, though I can't say for certain what they'll contain or when they'll drop.

User is offline   axl 

View PostTerminX, on 23 November 2016 - 01:49 PM, said:

Looks like World Tour is on sale for $13.99 currently. Might be a good price point to pick it up at for some of the people who were on the edge about purchasing it. More patches are also forthcoming, though I can't say for certain what they'll contain or when they'll drop.

More patches? That's great news!!

This post has been edited by axl: 23 November 2016 - 02:26 PM

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Glad I waited!

Now I'll be able to finally see what this is like.

User is offline   Steve 64 

Well shit I pay for it full price 3 time on steam and 2 for xbox one $100 out the ass fuck me .

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

It should have launched at $13.99. I don't understand developers and publishers who gouge the prices of their games and then complain when they don't sell. Another example would be the launch of Bombshell when the game was close to the price of a full AAA release for a top-down shooter, in a genre populated largely by titles that sell for $9.99 while being a new unknown franchise that had a shaky development which resulted in it launching in a clearly unpolished state. A game like Bombshell should have launched at $15 or $20. Yet another re-release of Duke Nukem 3D missing third party content with a few new additions should be $10 or at the most $15 considering all the past releases of it and with the game having been given away for free in the past.

Maybe the developers don't think they'll make as much money but if that's how they think then they're completely ignorant to the fact that a consumer is more likely to purchase something out of interest if it's priced lower especially when it comes to a game they haven't heard of from a small or unknown developer.

Gearbox also seems to be planning to announce something Duke related in December?

Posted Image

This post has been edited by HiPolyBash: 23 November 2016 - 09:19 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Good to hear more patches are coming. I'll wait for a bigger sale though, since with the Australian dollar exchange rate I'd be paying close to the original $20 anyway. Plus I'd feel more confident if the patches had already come out before my purchase, i.e that final boss...

View PostDuke Legacy is Dead, on 23 November 2016 - 08:37 PM, said:

Well shit I pay for it full price 3 time on steam and 2 for xbox one $100 out the ass fuck me .

Yeah who would have thought the game would go on sale eventually Posted Image

Edit:
Who wants to speculate what the announcement will be about? A new Duke game? A crossover? Or perhaps just more content for Duke 3D, i.e some kind of Duke Collection that includes all the third party expansions (plus the other stuff like Duke 64/Plug n Prey).

This post has been edited by Micky C: 23 November 2016 - 10:52 PM

View PostHiPolyBash, on 23 November 2016 - 08:50 PM, said:

Gearbox also seems to be planning to announce something Duke related in December?

Posted Image

Let's hope he doesn't disappoint.......again.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostMicky C, on 23 November 2016 - 10:50 PM, said:

Who wants to speculate what the announcement will be about? A new Duke game? A crossover? Or perhaps just more content for Duke 3D, i.e some kind of Duke Collection that includes all the third party expansions (plus the other stuff like Duke 64/Plug n Prey).

Duke in Battleborn!

View PostMicky C, on 23 November 2016 - 10:50 PM, said:

A Duke Nukem spin off with the Gears of War style of gameplay?

I don't think it's a bad idea to keep the Duke Nukem franchise multi genre instead of exclusively FPS since that allows for loads of awesome possibilities.

Also that Alex guy wrote this article on Randy's tweet.
http://cogconnected....nts-duke-nukem/

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 23 November 2016 - 11:07 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Clearly, going off the Gears of War part, it is going to be a Dylan origin story.

Hopefully not just Duke in Battleborn, but that would be about the low effort I think they would do to use the name instead of making a full fledged game. I hope to be wrong, though

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 23 November 2016 - 11:06 PM

User is offline   NNC 

If they add the 3 extra expansions and Plug and Pray, then they gotta deserve some credit. I think Gearbox really tries to do some fanservice now.

The Game Awards are on the 1st of December. http://thegameawards.com/

If nothing substantial it'll be a multiplayer skin for Gears of War.

I don't believe Gearbox would waste a massive gaming event like The Game Awards 2016 just to reveal they are putting the addons back in or putting Duke in their latest failed shooter.

User is offline   Steve 64 

I would like to see Duke Nukem in Mortal Kombat X or next mk game as a bonus

Duke Nukem expansion for Battleborn incoming...and when it fails the investor meeting will be interesting. 'Well, I guess people just don't like Duke Nukem!'. Battleborn 2 will surely be a success though!

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

They have to announce a new, stand-alone Duke Nukem FPS title.

After all the crap and the misfires, it has to be done.

Putting Duke as a playable character in Bordomlands or Battleborn? No.

As the saying goes: "Go big or go home."

View PostTea Monster, on 24 November 2016 - 12:07 AM, said:

They have to announce a new, stand-alone Duke Nukem FPS title.

After all the crap and the misfires, it has to be done.

Putting Duke as a playable character in Bordomlands or Battleborn? No.

As the saying goes: "Go big or go home."

Agree entirely with this if it were to be done properly. Gearbox didn't seem to take much notice of the criticism toward Duke Nukem Forever simply pushing that aside and claiming people were sensitive rather than hearing fans concerns that the fundamental character was being warped into a parody of itself complete with shit, piss, terrible sex jokes, and cheesy out of place references that completely miss the wit and badass attitude carried in past titles. Even the third party titles that pushed the sex and humor aspects didn't sink to the depths that Duke under Gearbox has and still delivered something groovy and fun for the most part.

The majority of the criticism towards Duke Nukem Forever was the character and the narrative. The two things people complained about the most in the fan community were the narrative and the character, and then gradually everything else like the missing mod tools, gameplay mechanics, and so on. Gearbox has taken zero notice of this and have been extremely stubborn since the release of Duke Forever stating in multiple interviews that it's just Duke Nukem. It really isn't. Fuck off Gearbox. World Tour was marketed with a dumb ass trailer, included pointless references such as 'Bazinga!', and the webpage had a massive banner reading 'YOU WANT THE D' above the retailers who stocked the game. Nothing has changed. If this is a new Duke game hopefully they've taken a step back and looked at the criticism and what was wrong with Duke Nukem Forever if they haven't done that then we're fucked. Either that or people will finally be vocal enough to get through Pitchfords head but it's hardly like that will ever happen.

This post has been edited by HiPolyBash: 24 November 2016 - 12:20 AM

Possible relation?
Posted Image

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The gunplay and level design was pretty rubbish too.

Edit: Hmm I forgot about that. Not an unlikely option.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 24 November 2016 - 12:25 AM

A Duke Nukem game with GoW gameplay.... starring Dylan.

Don't quote me but I'm fairly sure that Duke Begins was supposed to be a third person shooter..

Share this topic:

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options